Training Camp 7/31 - first fan allowed practice.

Wilson bounces back, sparkles in his 2nd Jets camp practice

By DENNIS WASZAK Jr.11 minutes ago

New York Jets quarterback Zach Wilson (2) looks on during practice at the team's NFL football training facility, Saturday, July. 31, 2021, in Florham Park, N.J. (AP Photo/Rich Schultz)

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. (AP) — Now, that was more like it.

Zach Wilson shook off a rough training camp debut by showing off the type of eye-popping playmaking ability that made him so coveted by the New York Jets. And the No. 2 overall draft pick did it Saturday in front of plenty of excited fans.

And teammates.

“He’s doing things you’re not expecting him to do,” left tackle Mekhi Becton said. “There’s a lot of things that he’s out there doing that you don’t expect him to do, so I can’t just key in on one thing.”

Such as scrambling to avoid a pass rush and then launching a pretty pass downfield to a streaking Elijah Moore for an 80-yard touchdown. Fans, who were able to attend practice for the first time since 2019, went wild. Meanwhile, Becton went over to Wilson and tapped him a few times on top of his helmet.

“I loved it,” Becton said. “I was just thinking to myself if we can give him time and he can make throws like that, we’re going to win a lot of games.”

That, of course, is the plan. And the Jets expect Wilson to be a major reason for that success.

In the meantime, New York also knows there will be a few more days like Friday, when Wilson was shaky after missing the first two practices of camp while waiting to have his four-year, $35.15 million rookie deal worked out.

“He’s going to have so many ebbs and flows, it’s going to drive us all crazy,” coach Robert Saleh said. “But it’s all part of a process of getting better. He was champing at the bit to get back out here and he’ll champ at the bit to get out there tomorrow.”

Wilson’s timing appeared a bit off Friday, and understandably so after a six-week layoff. He was much more in tune Saturday. While the TD pass to Moore — a fellow rookie who has been outstanding since rookie camp in May — was the highlight, there were a handful of other plays that marked Wilson’s solid day.

He led Corey Davis down the sideline on a timing pattern that led to an easy reception. Later, Wilson scrambled to his right and zipped a pass to Denzel Mims, who made a nice grab. There was also a play when Wilson backpedaled to get out of trouble and found Moore for a completion.

“That’s one of the traits that is very unique about him,” Saleh said of Wilson’s ability to make off-balance throws. “He is an improvisor. You know, you have your runners, you have your scramblers and then you have your pocket passers. And he is more of a scrambler in the sense that he’s looking to throw, he’s trying to move and he can throw off his right, left, sidearm, under — whatever motion and platform you want to talk about.”

Wilson, who spoke to reporters Friday, insisted he had lots to work on and knows there will be a learning curve during his transition to the NFL.

And that goes for all the rookies. Not just Wilson.

ADVERTISEMENT

“There’s going to be a lot of hair-pulling moments,” Saleh said. “There’s going to be times where they look like they’re Pro Bowlers. There can be times where they look like they’ve never been coached before. But that’s part of the evolution and the growth and development of these young guys. And we’re excited for the challenge to see how far we can get these guys to go.”

NOTES: NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell and former Jets running back and Pro Football Hall of Famer Curtis Martin were among those watching practice. ... Saleh addressed the fans briefly after practice, thanking them for coming. He ended it by leading them in an “All Gas, No Brake!” cheer — the team’s mantra this season. That came after rookie LG Alijah Vera-Tucker, the No. 14 overall pick, opened practice by running down the sideline and getting fans to break into a “J-E-T-S, Jets, Jets, Jets!” chant. ... CB Jason Pinnock, a fifth-rounder out of Pittsburgh, had a sliding interception of Mike White’s tipped pass during team drills. ... Second-year QB James Morgan, competing with White for the backup job, connected with D.J. Montgomery for a long TD pass.

Sup homies and homers.
first off I’d like to apologize for acting like a child yesterday in the TC thread. Wasn’t the best of moods or days for me & admittedly I let a few comments get under my skin that were directed towards me . Think we all know I’m a bit better of a poster than that (even the ones who don’t care for me or my typical content) & I would like to formally apologize by giving you animals your fix for the day. If anyone else that usually post tweets would like to jump in, you’re more than welcome. We’ll get em’ out fast either way and I’ll try to add some dialogue to the play by play, myself.
OK.. now that the apology is out of the way, let’s add a bit of dialogue to this post. let’s look at some important developments to keep an eye on.
• Carl Lawson vs Mehki Becton:
Carl Lawson has absolutely dominated the past two days against Mehki & I’d hate to think a handful of people are seeing this as a bad thing. Iron sharpens iron as Woody mentioned. If someone the size of Becton can continually play against a speed rusher with the technique/strength combo Lawson has, and eventually adjust for the better against his style of pass rush, Becton can reach a very high point in year 2. Top 5 OT in the NFL high. As I mentioned yesterday, I feel as if Becton’s main weakness was against fast edge rushers with high end technique. It was easier to get that first step around Becton when you have more disciplined technique. If Becton can even be on average against these kinds of players, I couldnt see him having damn near any problems from that point forward.
• Zach Wilson bounce back day:
Rough day for Wilson, he had that 40+ yard PA Bomb at the beginning of practice, but couldn’t really get going how he wanted, he even admitted in his presser that the bomb wasn’t even a great pass and more of just a great catch from Moore. I believe Lawson’s presence bothered him, got him reacting earlier then he wanted and that’s a minimal amount of pressure compared to what he will have in the regular season, so it’s best to get these hiccups out early. I think part of it is that, part of it is rust & then I think it’s a bit of both at the same time. I think his read & react ability is phenomenal and he plays fast, but he hasn’t done it in a pressurized situation since his final year at BYU. Something tells me he’ll be much better and quicker to improvise against pressure than he was yesterday in his first TC.
• Running backs:
huge gain after huge gain and I’m finally seeing a good OL make a talented RB look even better. I expect Carter to be RB1, but I also expect Perine to be involved with the way him, Carter and Coleman have been running thru out the first 3 days. You hear more about the left side opening up, but there were a few burst thru the right side that perked my ears up when I read it. If this OL can be top 15-20 range, I think the RB’s and the scheme is good enough to do the rest.
• Cornerbacks:
haven’t heard much about our DB’s besides the few INT’s that have been made. Echols sounds like a player though and while I’d be more excited to hear Wilson ripped them, I’m excited to see how well they do as the month goes on. I have high hopes for Pinnock as well. I thought Echols and Pinnock were awesome scheme fits for this defense from the very start. One man that has disappeared a bit is Bless Austin. He has been burnt a few more times than I would like personally, & personally I think he fits a press/man coverage scheme a bit better than the current one. Too bad we just don’t have the depth there to make up for it. Hopefully someone steps up and Bryce Hall steps forward.

Thanks PK! Yesterday was not a proud JN forum day, but that’s behind us - let’s look to the bright future!

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Post of the Week 1

Geez, even sad sack Darryl Slater liked today.................almost :)

Jets’ Zach Wilson wows fans in 2nd training camp practice, as he bounces back from rough Day 1 | Observations, takeaways

Updated 3:18 PM; Today 3:18 PM

New York Jets 2021 training camp

Facebook Share

Twitter Share

By Darryl Slater | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

Zach Wilson gave Jets fans exactly what they had come to see.

Wilson, this year’s No. 2 overall draft pick, wowed fans during Saturday’s training camp practice in Florham Park — an admirable rebound from Wilson’s rough camp debut Friday. (Wilson missed camp’s first two practices due to a contract standoff.)

Wilson’s main highlight Saturday — when fans were back at Jets camp for the first time since 2019 — was a deep ball to Elijah Moore (yes, him again) that resulted in an 80-yard touchdown. The crowd, of course, went insane after that throw.

And Wilson impressed his teammates, too, even though they surely know that Wilson starting from Week 1 — which he will do — is going to be a rollercoaster ride this season.

“He’s doing things you’re not expecting him to do,” left tackle Mekhi Becton said of the Jets’ prized rookie quarterback. “If we can give him time and he can make throws like that [touchdown to Moore], we’re going to win a lot of games.”

Now, our full breakdown of Wilson’s second camp practice.

Buy Jets tickets: StubHub, TicketSmarter

• The numbers: The Jets didn’t do any 7-on-7 drills Saturday, so all of Wilson’s work came in 11-on-11 team periods. He got 30 reps and completed 14 of 20 passes. He didn’t throw an interception, unlike Friday, when he threw one pick while getting 14 reps in team periods and completing 5 of 10 passes.

• What went well: A whole lot. Let’s start with the 80-yard touchdown, on a throw that went about 40 yards in the air. You could argue that it would have been a “sack.” But Wilson stepped up in the pocket, under pressure, and launched a pass to Moore, who was wide open, perhaps due to blown coverage.

A couple big-picture positive takeaways from Wilson on Saturday: He has a quicker release than Sam Darnold, and he throws well on the move — and when off-balance, too. The Jets loved these traits during the pre-draft process. Wilson is already showing them off.

Other nice throws from Wilson, on a sharp day, as he prepares for pads to go on Monday:

He avoided pressure and found Corey Davis for a 15-yard pass to the sideline.

Under even more pressure, he kept a play alive by moving around in the pocket, while keeping his eyes up, and connected with Denzel Mims. This happened right before the 80-yard touchdown to Moore. A nice stretch, particularly considering the pressure Wilson faced in the pocket on the those two plays.

Moore has impressed since he arrived in the spring. And Wilson found him again, after the touchdown, while rolling right — a great pass over Bryce Hall’s coverage. Just a fantastic display of touch and accuracy — while on the move — here from Wilson.

Near the end of practice, Wilson again showed off his quick release and his ability to throw while under pressure, when he made an off-balance pass to Keelan Cole.

• What went not so well: No major mistakes. One of Wilson’s six incomplete passes was a drop by Josh Adams. In that same segment of team periods, Wilson had a throwaway under pressure. Wilson did have a wobbly pass downfield to Tyler Kroft that fell incomplete. And in the final segment of team periods, Wilson threw a low pass to Braxton Berrios while under pressure. But this was almost entirely a positive day for Wilson.

• Final analysis: Again, folks, don’t read too much into two practices. Yeah, Wilson had a rough day Friday and a much better day Saturday, when he didn’t let Friday’s mistakes linger. So that’s a good thing. But he’ll have a bunch more days like Friday and a bunch like Saturday and plenty in between, too. Still, fans had every reason to enjoy Wilson’s showing Saturday.

Here’s what Jets coach Robert Saleh had to say about the performance, and also about the bigger picture for Wilson this season:

“He’s going to have so many ebbs and flows that it’s going to drive us all crazy, but it’s all part of a process of getting better. And he was chomping at the bit to get back out here.

“He is an improvisor. You have your runners, you have your scramblers, and then you have your pocket passers. And he is more of a scrambler, in the sense that he’s looking to throw and he’s trying to move. He can throw off his right, left, side arm — whatever motion and platform you want to talk about. And that’s what makes him unique.”

My favorite part of camp updates so far. *Knock on wood this stays the case* Is seeing none of. "Mims limps off the field, Bryce Hall tweaks a hamstring. Becton riding the bike today his foot injury is nagging" The past 2 years of this made you wanna pull your hair out. Naturally injuries will pop up but glad to see mostly everyone is healthy and the team can actually play together and grow. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Jets fans, no matter how much grief we give to ourselves, are probably the most loyal group in the NFL.  Win or lose we show up and root for the team.  Im sure some will trash this but the Jets havent made the playoffs in 10 years and the last year of fans in the stadium and we were 2nd or 3rd in the NFL for attendance.   Look at a team like the Jags who a few short years ago were in the AFCCG and were threatened with blackouts in 2019, the Dolphins org. has to buy their own tix and give them away in order to meet the minimum tix sales to avoid blackouts.  We give ourselves, the fans, too much grief.

you can't give away seats in Dec if they stink..

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

you can't give away seats in Dec if they stink..

But those seats that can’t be given away are paid for in April or May.  Other teams don’t sell tickets.  When the ever popular Cowboys suck they don’t sell tix.  Big difference.  I’ve had tix since 1977 and believe me we’ve sucked most of that time 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JETSALLDAY24X said:

My favorite part of camp updates so far. *Knock on wood this stays the case* Is seeing none of. "Mims limps off the field, Bryce Hall tweaks a hamstring. Becton riding the bike today his foot injury is nagging" The past 2 years of this made you wanna pull your hair out. 

Two things: 
1. Not one of those players you mentioned have been Jets for 2 years.  They’re going into their 2nd seasons.  

2.  It was a COVID season.  No OTAs, no camp, no preseason games.  No wonder their were injuries.  To the Jets and the entire league.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

11 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Two things: 
1. Not one of those players you mentioned have been Jets for 2 years.  They’re going into their 2nd seasons.  

2.  It was a COVID season.  No OTAs, no camp, no preseason games.  No wonder their were injuries.  To the Jets and the entire league.  

2 years of Gase, Derp. This was a repeated problem with every team he has coached. So no you can't blame last year on a covid season. Thanks for the great insight that the names I mentioned were drafted last year, I really had no idea. ??

1 hour ago, JETSALLDAY24X said:

2 years of Gase, Derp. This was a repeated problem with every team he has coached. So no you can't blame last year on a covid season. Thanks for the great insight that the names I mentioned were drafted last year, I really had no idea. ??

Apparently you had no idea because you only mentioned those 3 and their injuries.  We didn’t have injury problems up and above other teams in Gases 1st season.  It’s football, players get hurt.  I’ve seen team with tons of injuries before as well as seasons where the team has been healthy.  Under the same coaching staff.
Id love to know what the HC has to do with a foot injury, a sprained ankle or mono

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Apparently you had no idea because you only mentioned those 3 and their injuries.  We didn’t have injury problems up and above other teams in Gases 1st season.  It’s football, players get hurt.  I’ve seen team with tons of injuries before as well as seasons where the team has been healthy. 
Id love to know what the HC has to do with a foot injury, a sprained ankle or mono

Bro what? The Jets had 19 players on IR at one point that was most in the league. They kept Williamson out with the backups in a preseason game and he tore his acl. That's not on the coach? Are you ok? The past 2 years have been so bad with injuries that Joe Douglas created a whole new performance department that didn't exist last year. Insert any name on the team you want to replace the one's I mentioned if it helps you understand any better? 

36 minutes ago, JETSALLDAY24X said:

Bro what? The Jets had 19 players on IR at one point that was most in the league. They kept Williamson out with the backups in a preseason game and he tore his acl. That's not on the coach? Are you ok? The past 2 years have been so bad with injuries that Joe Douglas created a whole new performance department that didn't exist last year. Insert any name on the team you want to replace the one's I mentioned if it helps you understand any better? 

And the 49rs had more.  That would be Saleh's D and Shanahans O.  The Giants were a mess, the Pats etc.  It wasnt just the Jets.  

They kept Williamson out with backups because he was being used in a new system.  The lamest argument for injuries is because a player had to play almost a half of football.  Its just moaning

If you dont understand what the implications to the entire NFL were due to COVID and the lack of offseason practices and conditioning I dont know what to tell you. 

58 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

And the 49rs had more.  That would be Saleh's D and Shanahans O.  The Giants were a mess, the Pats etc.  It wasnt just the Jets.  

They kept Williamson out with backups because he was being used in a new system.  The lamest argument for injuries is because a player had to play almost a half of football.  Its just moaning

If you dont understand what the implications to the entire NFL were due to COVID and the lack of offseason practices and conditioning I dont know what to tell you. 

I think your understanding of context is severely lacking. I presume you're over the age of 10 and are partially educated. My OP was not that difficult to understand. Yours is full of contradictions and is all over the place. Just a minute ago you said "It's football, people get hurt" Now it's the lamest excuse to claim an injury was caused by a half of football. I don't know where you're going with this or the point you're trying to make but best to let it go before it goes completely off track. 

I have no doubt there will be an effect from Saleh that was absent from Googly Eyes - that the players this year and from this point on will actually want to play in games they think they can be competitive in, be LED by their coach, want to play for their teammates, etc. There were at least three winnable games out of the 14 we lost last year.

I've also worked in places where the morale sucked, and people called out sick left and right.

You don't think that halfway through last season, if they felt a twinge anywhere, guys didn't decide to sit out a game or two?

The place I am fortunate enough to work for now, for example, people seldom call in sick - and often we have to tell people to go home after they come in when they shouldn't have. I think guys will be much more motivated this year to extend themselves.

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

@SAR I 

How as your day at camp. 

3 hours ago, The Crusher said:

He said it was ran nicely and  the energy was tip top. He also said Joe Douglas gave   him a big hug and he feels better about things going forward. 

It was all of this and more.

I look forward to attending Wednesday's practice as well.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, JETSALLDAY24X said:

I think your understanding of context is severely lacking. I presume you're over the age of 10 and are partially educated. My OP was not that difficult to understand. Yours is full of contradictions and is all over the place. Just a minute ago you said "It's football, people get hurt" Now it's the lamest excuse to claim an injury was caused by a half of football. I don't know where you're going with this or the point you're trying to make but best to let it go before it goes completely off track. 

You should just stop, youre the one who has no idea what hes talking about, has no understanding of what I said or the game of football. ' You took a simple concept, HCs arent responsible for a WRs ankle sprain, a knee or even a hammy.  So go ahead and convince yourself that theyre due to the HC or whatever your point was.  Tell us that Gase was responsible for Becton 2 years of foot injuries, Mims 2 years of hammy issues whatever and then you get pissy because I said they haven't been Jets for 2 years.  

I dont know who you are or where you come from but I'm not 10, I'm actually 9 and totally uneducated.  Youre wrong again, FO, bye!

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

You should just stop, youre the one who has no idea what hes talking about, has no understanding of what I said or the game of football. ' You took a simple concept, HCs arent responsible for a WRs ankle sprain, a knee or even a hammy.  So go ahead and convincer yourself that theyre due to the HC or whatever your point was.  Tell us that he was responsible for Becton 2 years of foot injuries, Mims 2 years of hammy issues whatever and get pissy because I said they weren't here 2 years.  

I dont know who you are or where you come from but I'm not 10, I'm 9 and totally uneducated.  Youre wrong again, FO, bye!

No sh*t they weren't here two years. The point was the past 2 years it's been revolving of players in and out of the lineup. (A consistent theme with Adam Gase team's) Jets had the most cap on IR in 2019. Last year wasn't much different. Then you went to compare us to the Pats and 49ers. Lmaoooo Where not on the same football as galaxy as those teams my guy. If a young team is going to grow together then it's best if everyone stays healthy, no? That's the point of the OP, I don't know how much more simpler I can make it. Insert any name you want im glad everyone's healthy got it? 

7 hours ago, JETSALLDAY24X said:

No sh*t they weren't here two years. The point was the past 2 years it's been revolving of players in and out of the lineup. (A consistent theme with Adam Gase team's) Jets had the most cap on IR in 2019. Last year wasn't much different. Then you went to compare us to the Pats and 49ers. Lmaoooo Where not on the same football as galaxy as those teams my guy. If a young team is going to grow together then it's best if everyone stays healthy, no? That's the point of the OP, I don't know how much more simpler I can make it. Insert any name you want im glad everyone's healthy got it? 

And the point was you said they were here two years.  WTF is it with some of you, admit you FU'd and move on instead of say no shlt they weren't here but....no, just stop.  There wasnt a revolving door in 2019.  Thats wrong.  

To double down on missing the point you lMAO because I used other teams that had as many or injuries as the Jets because they were established and the Jets as a young team need to be on the field?  What does that have to do with the fact that the 49rs lost half their DL, their starting QB, had worse injuries than the Jets to blow up their season?  The point was that the entire league had injuries because of COVID, a point you havent been able to consider.  

I'll quote one of our new posters here:  "Such is life looking through the green glass and seeing every situation as half-empty."

20 hours ago, flgreen said:

Just an observation, seems like "The Captain" had a real nice day also.  Got to show off his arm strength.

Sure would like to see that continue.  

God, that makes me so happy. To think we may have actually drafted and possibly develop a competent  back up QB? Things may be a changing round here. 

• Upvote 2