I have a thought on Becton vs. Lawson

Alka

When there are no pads on, I can see how a speed guy like Lawson can make Becton seem average.  But when they get the pads on, I believe that when Becton takes his 360 pound frame and smashes his helmet and massive shoulders into Lawson, then it might look much different than it has looked so far.

As I've heard so many times in previous years, it all is different when they get the pads on.  So, I will not be judging anything at this point until then.

And when it is a running play, I really look forward to seeing Becton block downhill on Lawson.  

The fact that Lawson is looking good so far is a plus though, and as others have said it should help both of them get ready for the start of the season.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

8 minutes ago, thshadow said:

Can someone explain what happens in oline / dline play when there aren't pads on?  Isn't it supposed to be non-contact, lol?  What are they allowed to do to each other?

I could be wrong, but I believe no contact means no hitting the QB, no tackling of running backs or wide receivers, but you can block someone and be blocked.  

Can someone elaborate and tell me if I'm wrong?

2 hours ago, Alka said:

I could be wrong, but I believe no contact means no hitting the QB, no tackling of running backs or wide receivers, but you can block someone and be blocked.  

Can someone elaborate and tell me if I'm wrong?

The line can't crash into one another, and use power to drive a guy to the ground.  That's Becton's style.

No pads is all about technique , hand placement, and speed.  DL tries to get around OL , OL just tries to stay in front of defender.

Clear advantage for DL

• Upvote 4

8 minutes ago, flgreen said:

The line can't crash into one another, and use power to drive a guy to the ground.  That's Becton's style.

No pads is all about technique , and speed.  DL tries to get around OL , OL just tries to stay in front of defender.

Clear advantage for DL

Seriously.  Telling Becton he can't use his mass and power against Lawson is like telling Godzilla he can't use his breath weapon against Kong.  I expect when the pads go on, Lawson will find out how Apollo Creed felt when Rocky switched to his left hand :)

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Lawson probably is top 5 in the league for getting off the snap as a rusher.  You could not ask for a better camp match up for becton.  He wont face many guys with a better first step and it will keep him humble.

That’s literally the best case scenario. Let Becton practice against his weakness every single day at camp

• Upvote 3

No pads is all about technique , and speed.  DL tries to get around OL , OL just tries to stay in front of defender.
Clear advantage for DL
This. It's all about hands and feet. Great practice for the OL.
  • Upvote 3