Marcus Maye is a Real Leader... Listen & Learn!

21 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

I keep hear folks say "overpay".  Who has said anything about overpaying??? @AFJF @GREENBEAN @Jetsfan80

Mayes stats say he is a top ten quality safety in the league.  Thet's what the numbers say....

The Jets offered him 20% less than the 10 Million he is slated to make this year about  8 to 9 Million dollars, saying those are guaranteed dollars. I say that he is worth what they are paying him  this year at least 10 Million dollars. I say give a guy a three year deal at 11 Million with the last year being at the clubs option. Reward guys on your team rather than paying a stranger....

This is hardly breaking the bank or overpaying as folks keep saying....

That would hardly stop the Jets from resigning Williams or anyone else when as now the cap will go up.

To me.... Trust is a two way street you want folks to go all out for you, you want absent them just being a giver, them to be able to go all out for you because they play not just for the money but the sense of significance tied to the money...

This is not a shot at JD at all, I can love the job that he is doing and not agree with every move that he makes.  Shoot I don't agree with every move that I make!

Lets go Jets! :) 

He's an average to slightly above average 28 y/o safety who should make 9 or 10 mil per season.  Reports I saw suggest he wants significantly more than that.  I think we're going to see Joe D pay big for premium positions and otherwise go with "take it or leave it" offers that he sees as fair.  

• Upvote 3

50 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

lol @Charlie Brown.  You say “pay the guy” then propose 3 years, $11M per as if there would be the slightest chance he’d accept that?

No.  He very much would not accept that.  Hence why he’s on the tag and you should probably just be happy that he is. 

Well then that is on him but 20% less than that is a big deal,  and that is what I meant by pay the guy, not 14 Million Dollars, but 11 Million.....but let's see how it plays out......

5 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

Well then that is on him but 20% less than that is a big deal,  and that is what I meant by pay the guy, not 14 Million Dollars, but 11 Million.....but let's see how it plays out......

What you mean by “pay the guy” is irrelevant, because he’d want that $14M per or very close to it.  So again, just be happy he’s on the tag. 

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

What you mean by “pay the guy” is irrelevant, because he’d want that $14M per or very close to it.  So again, just be happy he’s on the tag. 

In that video he said he would have met the team in the middle. So if JD was offering $8M and Maye initially was asking $14, $11 could have gotten it done.

We weren’t at the negotiating table. So who knows who is telling the truth.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, GreenFish said:

In that video he said he would have met the team in the middle. So if JD was offering $8M and Maye initially was asking $14, $11 could have gotten it done.

There's another issue here too.  He might very well be asking for 5 years, and the Jets are offering 2-3.  We don't have a clue

What we do know is he's playing for the Jets in 2021 under the tag.   I'll worry about the rest next year. LOL

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, GreenFish said:

Exactly, these are PR arguments.  Maye likely either wanted long-term security (a 4-5 year deal) or to be paid like one of the game’s highest paid Safeties on a shorter deal.  

Douglas likely had little interest in either proposition, and rightfully so. 

On 8/1/2021 at 7:33 PM, Charlie Brown said:

I keep hear folks say "overpay".  Who has said anything about overpaying??? @AFJF @GREENBEAN @Jetsfan80

Mayes stats say he is a top ten quality safety in the league.  Thet's what the numbers say....

The Jets offered him 20% less than the 10 Million he is slated to make this year about  8 to 9 Million dollars, saying those are guaranteed dollars. I say that he is worth what they are paying him  this year at least 10 Million dollars. I say give a guy a three year deal at 11 Million with the last year being at the clubs option. Reward guys on your team rather than paying a stranger....

This is hardly breaking the bank or overpaying as folks keep saying....

That would hardly stop the Jets from resigning Williams or anyone else when as now the cap will go up.

To me.... Trust is a two way street you want folks to go all out for you, you want absent them just being a giver, them to be able to go all out for you because they play not just for the money but the sense of significance tied to the money...

This is not a shot at JD at all, I can love the job that he is doing and not agree with every move that he makes.  Shoot I don't agree with every move that I make!

Lets go Jets! :) 

The thing to remember is that we only heard one side of the story. From Maye's agent.  Generally speaking it's not a good idea to create an opinion from that. I'm pretty sure it's not exactly as it was said. JD just doesn't care to defend himself in the public domaine, but Maye's agent has gone to the press on numerous occasions even being extremely disrespectful toward others including JD and the Jets (I won't trust anything the NY Jets say again etc) 

And the other thing to remember is that Maye is essentially under contract for 2 years if we want him. $23 mil for 2 yrs is not a disrespectful number.  

I like Maye and would love to see him locked up but it doesn't make sense to guarantee more than what we already have him for.  If they want the guarantees they need to bend.  That's how I see it. And I totally get what you and many others are saying with this one.   I'm just happy we have a GM who won't cave to stuff like this and doesn't even feel the need to defend himself to cool off the fan base and media. 

It's time to build an actual juggernaut.  And that takes discipline. 

• Upvote 2