KRL Camp Notes (7/31/21)

KRL

More like clueless.  I guess he's never been around real team fans before.  This guy is a jerk off and I'll bet his spelling, vocabulary and grammatical mistakes are intentional.  Either that or he is just in the bottom quartile at best for those skills. South Florida education. 

The Daily News sure knows how to pick em.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Upvote 3

Appreciate the keen eye and summary. 

In another thread I mentioned my concern, and another poster stated earlier in this thread as well, that this back-half of the defense HAS to step up and tackle if the DLine whiffs or exposes itself to a RB’s cutback. 
With such a young inexperienced secondary and an enigma at the LB positions, player scheme-discipline will be crucial and it may be ugly at the start of the season against a team like Tennessee. 

Zach Wilson

Good to be back, let’s get started with initial impressions.  We’ll see if these hold true with the two other practices I’ll be attending:

General Notes

– Props to the staff for the smooth movement of 1000+ fans to the practice facility.

– Practice ran 2 hours and 40 minutes.

– Shockingly players were in jerseys & shorts (not even shells).  Usually by day four pads are worn.

– With no pads there were no 1 on 1 periods to really break down players movement skills.

– For the most part it was a 50/50 practice with each side of the ball “flashing” during certain periods.

New Staff Notes

– Practice has three portions now a 24 minute individual warmup period where players work with their position coaches.  A 15 minute offense/defense installation period and then the formal practice begins.  During the calisthenics period the performance staff added ball skills, where the players had to catch the ball while exercising.

– As mentioned before only jerseys & shorts on a day that full pads usually come on.

– During the 15 minute installation period the defense really emphasized the  coordination of LB’s & DB’s in their coverage responsibilities.  At various points Jeff Ulbrich (DC) would pull a LB, CB and S and send a route combination at them to see if they knew what they were doing.

– The DLine staff has brought in a blocking sled that is MUCH lower to the ground than normal.  Forcing the DLinemen to get low in their stances and to get underneath OLinemen.  Because as the saying goes in line play “the low man wins”.

– I don’t know if this is what Mike Lafleur (OC) normally does but in the initial 11 on 11 periods he really emphasizes the running game.  Then later on he opened up the pass game.

Player Notes

– The players auditioning for PR are Elijah Moore, Braxton Berrios, Michael Carter and Keelan Cole.

– Carl Lawson is going to be a problem.  Relentless pursuit in rushing the passer, excellent get off and a wide variety of moves and hand actions.  It was a pleasure watching him go against Mekhi Becton, they should really push each other to be better.

– The DLine as a whole has much more freedom in getting up the field.  To the point where Sheldon Rankins pulled a “Dwight Freeney spin move” from his DT position to rush the passer. Quinnen Williams will be scary in this scheme when he comes back.  But that comes with a price because with the emphasis on attacking upfield they got “gashed” a couple of times on cut backs.

– Nice to finally see a creative run scheme straight out of the “Shanahan book”.  Tons of motions to influence the defense and out of the same formation multiple plays can be run for multiple players.  Michael Carter and Tevin Coleman stood out, showing the ability to read the play and determining when/if it was time to cut back.

– The OLine was effective in run blocking but they’ll need to stiffen up in pass blocking. At assorted times the DLine really pushed the pocket causing QB’s to throw on the run. Nice holes opened on the left side by Mekhi Becton and Alijah Vera-Tucker.

– Solid coverage for the most part by the back seven as they seemed to work on matchup zones.  Covering receivers to a certain point and then passing them off to another player. They were solid in their assignments to the point were the QB’s had to hold the ball for
what would be a “sack”.  An impressive, acrobatic INT by Jason Pinnock (from his back) off of Mike White as he returned it for a TD (30+ yards).

QB Notes  

– They seemed to be “over repping” Zach Wilson to get him up to speed from the two days he missed.  And the talents you see on his tape and from his BYU Pro Day were on display.  The play of the day was his 80 yard TD (50 yards in the air) to Elijah Moore.  Wilson got pressure from his right side, shifted to the left side of the pocket and “flicked” the ball to Moore in stride 50 yards down the right side of the field.  In addition you saw Wilson’s ability to create when things broke down and throw with accuracy and velocity even when his feet aren’t on the ground.  It would be nice to finally not be teased by a young QB, we’ll see.

– Surprising performance by James Morgan, he’s big and not overly mobile so you wouldn’t think he would fit in this offense.  But he did a good job moving within the pocket and showed a strong and accurate arm.  His two best throws were a 20+ yard seam strike to Tyler Kroft and a 40+ yard TD to DJ Montgomery.

Standouts

– Zach Wilson
– Carl Lawson
– Elijah Moore
– Michael Carter
– Jason Pinnock

Concerns

– DLine run defense on cut backs
– OLine need to tighten up the pocket for the QB’s

Read more about #JetsCamp in our forums.

The post KRL Jets Camp Notes (7/31/21) appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

http://feeds.feedburner.com/~r/Jetnationcom/~4/p-IozBxT3g4

Click here to read the full story...

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Dcat said:

More like clueless.  I guess he's never been around real team fans before.  This guy is a jerk off and I'll bet his spelling, vocabulary and grammatical mistakes are intentional.  Either that or he is just in the bottom quartile at best for those skills. South Florida education. 

He tweets like a seventh grader. So unprofessional.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Warfish said:

Amazing how true this actually is.

Clear, concise, factual, analytical (but only a little, appropriately so).

But won't sell papers or website hits......and, we see why no one has rushed to hire KRL.

He's providing insight, not selling us on outrage.

Well that and he’s actually a Jet fan. 

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

One of the inherent weaknesses in the over front we are running is the interior running lanes. The linebackers are meant to diagnose and react accordingly, so it’s going to be important that Mosley stays healthy so we have people out there that can play fast. 

Agreed. I want to see how the current LBs play and develop in the preseason and if they correctly diagnose a RB’s cutbacks. 

That’s why I don’t see any of the rookies starting at OLB anytime soon, but then again as former Safeties, perhaps they can diagnose quicker and get on the field to contribute. 

Nice job. Glad to see you back on the case. And, more than glad about what you saw. These kids are going to be special.

By the way, the Jets website has an awesome collection of videos including one of yesterday's practice and some great interviews. Choice quality stuff!

Good to be back, let's get started with initial impressions.  We'll see if
these hold true with the two other practices I'll be attending:

General Notes
- Props to the staff for the smooth movement of 1000+ fans to the practice
facility
- Practice ran 2 hours and 40 minutes
- Shockingly players were in jerseys & shorts (not even shells).  Usually by
day four pads are worn
- With no pads there were no 1 on 1 periods to really break down players movement
skills
- For the most part it was a 50/50 practice with each side of the ball "flashing"
during certain periods

New Staff Notes
- Practice has three portions now a 24 minute individual warmup period where players
work with their position coaches.  A 15 minute offense/defense installation period
and then the formal practice begins.  During the calisthenics period the performance
staff added ball skills, where the players had to catch the ball while exercising
- As mentioned before only jerseys & shorts on a day that full pads usually come on
- During the 15 minute installation period the defense really emphasized the 
coordination of LB's & DB's in their coverage responsibilities.  At various points
Jeff Ulbrich (DC) would pull a LB, CB and S and send a route combination at them
to see if they knew what they were doing
- The DLine staff has brought in a blocking sled that is MUCH lower to the ground than
normal.  Forcing the DLinemen to get low in their stances and to get underneath OLinemen.
Because as the saying goes in line play "the low man wins"
- I don't know if this is what Mike Lafleur (OC) normally does but in the initial 11 on
11 periods he really emphasizes the running game.  Then later on he opened up the pass
game

Player Notes
- The players auditioning for PR are Elijah Moore, Braxton Berrios, Michael Carter and
Keelan Cole
- Carl Lawson is going to be a problem.  Relentless pursuit in rushing the passer, excellent
get off and a wide variety of moves and hand actions.  It was a pleasure watching him go
against Mekhi Becton, they should really push each other to be better
- The DLine as a whole has much more freedom in getting up the field.  To the point where
Sheldon Rankins pulled a "Dwight Freeney spin move" from his DT position to rush the passer.
Quinnen Williams will be scary in this scheme when he comes back.  But that comes with a
price because with the emphasis on attacking upfield they got "gashed" a couple of times on
cut backs
- Nice to finally see a creative run scheme straight out of the "Shanahan book".  Tons of
motions to influence the defense and out of the same formation multiple plays can be run
for multiple players.  Michael Carter and Tevin Coleman stood out, showing the ability to
read the play and determining when/if it was time to cut back
- The OLine was effective in run blocking but they'll need to stiffen up in pass blocking.
At assorted times the DLine really pushed the pocket causing QB's to throw on the run.
Nice holes opened on the left side by Mekhi Becton and Alijah Vera-Tucker 
- Solid coverage for the most part by the back seven as they seemed to work on matchup
zones.  Covering receivers to a certain point and then passing them off to another player.
They were solid in their assignments to the point were the QB's had to hold the ball for
what would be a "sack".  An impressive, acrobatic INT by Jason Pinnock (from his back) off
of Mike White as he returned it for a TD (30+ yards)

QB Notes  
- They seemed to be "over repping" Zach Wilson to get him up to speed from the two days he 
missed.  And the talents you see on his tape and from his BYU Pro Day were on display.  The
play of the day was his 80 yard TD (50 yards in the air) to Elijah Moore.  Wilson got pressure
from his right side, shifted to the left side of the pocket and "flicked" the ball to Moore
in stride 50 yards down the right side of the field.  In addition you saw Wilson's ability
to create when things broke down and throw with accuracy and velocity even when his feet
aren't on the ground.  It would be nice to finally not be teased by a young QB, we'll see
- Surprising performance by James Morgan, he's big and not overly mobile so you wouldn't think he
would fit in this offense.  But he did a good job moving within the pocket and showed a strong
and accurate arm.  His two best throws were a 20+ yard seam strike to Tyler Kroft and a 40+ yard
TD to DJ Montgomery

Standouts
- Zach Wilson
- Carl Lawson
- Elijah Moore
- Michael Carter
- Jason Pinnock

Concerns
- DLine run defense on cut backs
- OLine need to tighten up the pocket for the QB's 

I say it every year but its still holds true. Best report in the biz. It’s amazing how poorly the beat is at their jobs.
I’m grateful for what you do sir

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 3

18 hours ago, KRL said:

General Notes

- Props to the staff for the smooth movement of 1000+ fans to the practice
facility

- Practice ran 2 hours and 40 minutes

day four pads are worn

- With no pads there were no 1 on 1 periods to really break down players movement
skills

- For the most part it was a 50/50 practice with each side of the ball "flashing"
during certain periods

New Staff Notes

- Practice has three portions now a 24 minute individual warmup period where players
work with their position coaches.  A 15 minute offense/defense installation period
and then the formal practice begins.  During the calisthenics period the performance
staff added ball skills, where the players had to catch the ball while exercising

- As mentioned before only jerseys & shorts on a day that full pads usually come on

- During the 15 minute installation period the defense really emphasized the 
coordination of LB's & DB's in their coverage responsibilities.  At various points
Jeff Ulbrich (DC) would pull a LB, CB and S and send a route combination at them
to see if they knew what they were doing

- The DLine staff has brought in a blocking sled that is MUCH lower to the ground than
normal.  Forcing the DLinemen to get low in their stances and to get underneath OLinemen.
Because as the saying goes in line play "the low man wins"

- I don't know if this is what Mike Lafleur (OC) normally does but in the initial 11 on
11 periods he really emphasizes the running game.  Then later on he opened up the pass
game

Player Notes

- The players auditioning for PR are Elijah Moore, Braxton Berrios, Michael Carter and
Keelan Cole

- Carl Lawson is going to be a problem.  Relentless pursuit in rushing the passer, excellent
get off and a wide variety of moves and hand actions.  It was a pleasure watching him go
against Mekhi Becton, they should really push each other to be better

- The DLine as a whole has much more freedom in getting up the field.  To the point where
Sheldon Rankins pulled a "Dwight Freeney spin move" from his DT position to rush the passer.
Quinnen Williams will be scary in this scheme when he comes back.  But that comes with a
price because with the emphasis on attacking upfield they got "gashed" a couple of times on
cut backs

- Nice to finally see a creative run scheme straight out of the "Shanahan book".  Tons of
motions to influence the defense and out of the same formation multiple plays can be run
for multiple players.  Michael Carter and Tevin Coleman stood out, showing the ability to
read the play and determining when/if it was time to cut back

- The OLine was effective in run blocking but they'll need to stiffen up in pass blocking.
At assorted times the DLine really pushed the pocket causing QB's to throw on the run.
Nice holes opened on the left side by Mekhi Becton and Alijah Vera-Tucker 

- Solid coverage for the most part by the back seven as they seemed to work on matchup
zones.  Covering receivers to a certain point and then passing them off to another player.
They were solid in their assignments to the point were the QB's had to hold the ball for
what would be a "sack".  An impressive, acrobatic INT by Jason Pinnock (from his back) off
of Mike White as he returned it for a TD (30+ yards)

QB Notes  

- They seemed to be "over repping" Zach Wilson to get him up to speed from the two days he 
missed.  And the talents you see on his tape and from his BYU Pro Day were on display.  The
play of the day was his 80 yard TD (50 yards in the air) to Elijah Moore.  Wilson got pressure
from his right side, shifted to the left side of the pocket and "flicked" the ball to Moore
in stride 50 yards down the right side of the field.  In addition you saw Wilson's ability
to create when things broke down and throw with accuracy and velocity even when his feet
aren't on the ground.  It would be nice to finally not be teased by a young QB, we'll see

- Surprising performance by James Morgan, he's big and not overly mobile so you wouldn't think he
would fit in this offense.  But he did a good job moving within the pocket and showed a strong
and accurate arm.  His two best throws were a 20+ yard seam strike to Tyler Kroft and a 40+ yard
TD to DJ Montgomery

Standouts

- Zach Wilson
- Carl Lawson
- Elijah Moore
- Michael Carter
- Jason Pinnock

Concerns

- DLine run defense on cut backs
- OLine need to tighten up the pocket for the QB's 

Wait a minute I though Zach was supposed to have sucked and we are doomed? You didn't get the media memo?

You better watch it outbthee your pass will be revoked

2 hours ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

One of the inherent weaknesses in the over front we are running is the interior running lanes. The linebackers are meant to diagnose and react accordingly, so it’s going to be important that Mosley stays healthy so we have people out there that can play fast. 

This is where our depth at DT will serve us well. QW, Shepherd, Fatukasi, JFM and Rankins will need to fill those gaps and contain. On passing downs they can pin their ears back and push the pocket. My biggest concern is playing a Mobil QB who bootlegs after Lawson comes crashing down on the fake handoff leaving the whole left side of the field open

• Sympathy 1

man, i totally forgot we signed S. Rankins... If that pans out, we'd have a rotating Dline of--

• Lawson / Curry
  • Q. Williams / J. Marshall
  • Rankins / Fatukasi
  • Phillips / J. F-Myers

I'm surprised there isn't more excitement, or optimism about the D, with Mosely, Davis and Nasirildeen patrolling the middle....

I know the red pen is hovering over our secondary - but i get this vibe there was deliberate intent in selecting/ signing Dunn/Guidry/Hall/Pinnock/Echols - think our Corners are going to surprise the NFL with their hunger and opportunistic play in our D-scheme.

• Upvote 4

10 minutes ago, Paradis said:

man, i totally forgot we signed S. Rankins... If that pans out, we'd have a rotating Dline of--

• Lawson / Curry
  • Rankins / Fatukasi
  • Phillips / J. F-Myers

I'm surprised there isn't more excitement, or optimism about the D, with Mosely, Davis and Nasirildeen patrolling the middle....

I know the red pen is hovering over our secondary - but i get this vibe there was deliberate intent in selecting/ signing Dunn/Guidry/Hall/Pinnock/Echols - think our Corners are going to surprise the NFL with their hunger and opportunistic play in our D-scheme.

Yes! Agree 100%. Coupled with Saleh's scheme which frees them to play fast. I am very high on our defense. Best friend a rookie QB could have.

12 minutes ago, Paradis said:

• Lawson / Curry
  • Rankins / Fatukasi
  • Phillips / J. F-Myers

Not a lock that Curry make the cut. He's older, coming off injury. Don't forget Zuniga who could probably also play specials which I doubt Curry could/would do.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Paradis said:

• Lawson / Curry
  • Rankins / Fatukasi
  • Phillips / J. F-Myers

Agree with 90% of your post, but while I think Nasirildeen has an excellent chance to make the roster, IMO Sherwood will be getting the bulk of the snaps at LB/S  

5 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Agree with 90% of your post, but while I think Nasirildeen has an excellent chance to make the roster, IMO Sherwood will be getting the bulk of the snaps at LB/S  

Many JET fans forgot what it’s like to have options… It’s not just about who is starting, it’s about who’s making the 53.

We’ve had such shallow rosters for the past decade, in addition to poor starters - that we’ve stopped considering the benefits of rotating in players for down and distance. All of these guys are going to have a role.

Saleh & Co will have some tough decisions when cut day comes around. Lot of potential talent in that secondary  

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

On 7/31/2021 at 1:40 PM, KRL said:

General Notes

day four pads are worn

Just FYI. I was surprised they weren't in pads as well, but just read that NFL rules this year didn't allow NFL teams to go full pads until Monday.

I have a question for you KRL: "Do you feel pressure to live up to everyone's expectations of yourself, or does it not even enter into the equation?"

Because you are truly impressive, and reading your reports is "Must read material".