Bills relocating to Austin?

31 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

No way. We just got an MLS team. I can’t see how we can support a NFL team though. I guess the thought is the Austin Metro and San Antonio Metro combined can support an NFL team. It took a while for city council to approve an MLS team. I doubt they approve an NFL team. We can drive 3hrs to Dallas or Houston for a game without the headaches.

But Austin mainly has minor league teams. 

Demographics in the area has seen tremendous growth.  Some projecting this area to look like Dallas-Fort Worth by 2030.  See here:  https://www.lawnstarter.com/san-antonio-lawn-care/what-will-austin-san-antonio-corridor-look-like-2030

They were a distant second to the Raiders but I could see them as an attractive site to many teams.  Would suck for Bills fans and the city of Buffalo, no doubt.

7 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

That would completely f up the AFCE so it’s it’s not happening. If they moved to Canada or somewhere in the NE area it would be more believable 

The NFL used to have Arizona in the NFC East and Dallas is still in that division.  NFL could care less about geography.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Untouchable said:

Austin is filled to the brim with hipster California transplants at this point.

Most Texans don’t even really acknowledge it as part of the state anymore.

Was going to say the same thing...

• Upvote 1

I'd be incredibly surprised to see that happen. Austin isn't a big pro football market and to the extent that it is that market is mostly Houston and Dallas fans. Neither of the existing Texas teams wants to see their regional fanbase cannibalized. University of Texas is a huge football presence though. Maybe fifteen or twenty years from now Austin-San Antonio will be so big that it will be too big to ignore. Houston and Dallas metros are continuing to grow so much that the NFL could decide there's enough to go around to let the state take a third team. I don't see that being the case just yet.

Buffalo is a city that isn't growing and unless the NFL really cares about a Canadian market it seems like an NFL market with an expiration date. There are too many growing areas around the country that can support a team that don't have one that would be more profitable. Soon Raleigh and Boise will be big metros in a few years that might command an NFL franchise. 

In ten or fifteen years we'll probably see the Bills leave for a more profitable market along with one or both of the LA teams. 

21 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Yes with people who like to play music and explore art, not put down bud lights and watch football for 3-5 hours 

The college football team is kind of a big deal here...the beer may be some artisanal microbrew, but they watch football here..it's just the longhorns. 

Football is popular. There's just little appetite for NFL football that isn't already satiated by the Cowboys (2 and half to 3 hour drive from Austin if you want to see a game). 

Your other point is somewhat relevant in that Austin of other things in the area to distract from an NFL team and many other venues (big arsed F1 race track, MLS arena, AHL Hockey Arena for example) that make the need for that type of venue unnecessary outside of hosting an NFL team.

The Bills may move, but I'd bet against it being to Austin.

1 hour ago, Untouchable said:

Austin is filled to the brim with hipster California transplants at this point.

Most Texans don’t even really acknowledge it as part of the state anymore.

Just came back from there

its a mess 

first time in texas

definitely wasn’t what I was expecting 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

If this were to happen maybe they’d move Baltimore to AFC East in a realignment 

Despite our long and bitter rivalry and history, I'd probably strongly support flipping Baltimore to the AFC East, Miami to the AFC South, and the Colts to the AFC North.

It just makes sense, which of course why no one would ever support it.

EDIT:  I say this every time a team threatens to move, I'd love it if Congress passes a law saying "Teams can move, but they must leave the team name and their history to the City they leave".

I.e. The Bills franchise can sod off to wherever, but they're no longer the Bills (that name stays in Buffalo) and their first season in wherever is their first season, just like an expansion team.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Ghost420 said:

Bills do need a new stadium. Place is a dump.

Why though....the place sells out every game, and the parking lot is full with weekend tailgaters.

Maybe if billionaires didn't need shiny new toys they want funded by tax-payer dollars......

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

Why though....the place sells out every game, and the parking lot is full with weekend tailgaters.

Maybe if billionaires didn't need shiny new toys they want funded by tax-payer dollars......

Because the stadium itself it a sh*t hole. That's why. So if they built the fans a nice new stadium it wouldn't be sold out and people wouldn't be tailgating?

2 hours ago, GreenFish said:

No way. We just got an MLS team. I can’t see how we can support a NFL team though. I guess the thought is the Austin Metro and San Antonio Metro combined can support an NFL team. It took a while for city council to approve an MLS team. I doubt they approve an NFL team. We can drive 3hrs to Dallas or Houston for a game without the headaches.

But Austin mainly has minor league teams. 

I don’t know, I think Austin would be stoked to get an NFL team, regardless of where it came from.  Living here and seeing the college teams support, I could definitely see support for an NFL team. 

stadium put up next to COTA, it could happen. 

Semper Fi 

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Despite our long and bitter rivalry and history, I'd probably strongly support flipping Baltimore to the AFC East, Miami to the AFC South, and the Colts to the AFC North.

EDIT:  I say this every time a team threatens to move, I'd love it if Congress passes a law saying "Teams can move, but they must leave the team name and their history to the City they leave".

I.e. The Bills franchise can sod off to wherever, but they're no longer the Bills (that name stays in Buffalo) and their first season in wherever is their first season, just like an expansion team.

It'd be better if they had to start like an expansion team.  They don't keep rights to any players at all if they relocate.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

That town has literally nothing going for it besides their Bills.

I think they storm city hall before it happens. So, in the sense of keeping the peace I dont see it happening. 

Plus Austin? Cool city. Football town ready for a new team? Hardly

At least they'll have the Sabres!

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

As long as they get to take the roster with them, this wouldn’t be a deterrent.  

And of course there’s no way the NFL would support this anyways.  They encourage teams to move when stadium deals in their current cities don’t happen.  

2 hours ago, Ghost420 said:

Because the stadium itself it a sh*t hole. That's why. So if they built the fans a nice new stadium it wouldn't be sold out and people wouldn't be tailgating?

Um, call me crazy, but if a billionaire wants a new toy for his toy, he should pay for it himself....not taxpayers.  

• Upvote 1