Bills relocating to Austin?

6 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

I live in Austin, it is NOT a destination for an NFL franchise. 

I live in Austin now too, I think it could work, especially a stadium south of the River which would only be 75-90 min from the San Antonio area and tap into that market too.  There’s 2.2 million in the Austin metro and growing versus 1.8 mil and shrinking in Buffalo. (They definitely shouldn’t build a stadium in downtown Austin which is becoming a sh*thole I avoid at all costs.)

Most importantly, Austin has a growing roster of cash rich tech companies and some private equity too.  There’s good potential for suite sales which is really what drives all this.

Jerry Jones would probably do everything he could to prevent it.  This is mostly Cowboys country.  That’s probably the biggest hurdle to Austin eventually getting a franchise.  The people here love football (sure we have our fair share of soccer loving hippies too but this is Texas).  Austin has this hippie reputation but the truth is it’s become a big money town.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Speaking of new stadiums, when are the Jets getting one?

@SAR I’s senses are tingling at the moment. 

I would laugh so hard every day if the Bills relocated. 

On the other hand, can we sell them out stadium? It’s trash, IMO. 

2 hours ago, jetscrazey said:

I live in Austin now too, I think it could work, especially a stadium south of the River which would only be 75-90 min from the San Antonio area and tap into that market too.  There’s 2.2 million in the Austin metro and growing versus 1.8 mil and shrinking in Buffalo. (They definitely shouldn’t build a stadium in downtown Austin which is becoming a sh*thole I avoid at all costs.)

Most importantly, Austin has a growing roster of cash rich tech companies and some private equity too.  There’s good potential for suite sales which is really what drives all this.

Jerry Jones would probably do everything he could to prevent it.  This is mostly Cowboys country.  That’s probably the biggest hurdle to Austin eventually getting a franchise.  The people here love football (sure we have our fair share of soccer loving hippies too but this is Texas).  Austin has this hippie reputation but the truth is it’s become a big money town.

It's not about population and/or wealth. The area has that, but it's the same problem LA has... there's not enough interest / too many other distractions in the area. That's before you get to traffic / infrastructure problems that trying to use 35 would entail. 

3 hours ago, Cornfed said:

We need a Jets fans in Austin group. Maybe meet up to watch a game or two? Road trip for Jets/Houston game? Or just moral support and local tips. Anything in person after we are out of Stage 5 recommendations, of course.

2 hours ago, jetscrazey said:

I’m in

I'd have an interest.  Let me know.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, artemusclyde said:

That's a dumb threat. No way Jerry let's it happen. More believable one would be threatening to move to Toronto. But based off Pegula's cheap ass they wouldn't do that either because it wouldn't be tax payer funded.

Why would any player want to play for a team in Canada and lose more than half their income to taxes?  Cole Beasley wouldn't be allowed in since he is not vaccinated. 

1 hour ago, Biggs said:

They should move to NYC.  NY and LI has the population to support an NFL team.  Might look at locating to Brooklyn.  Large population who can afford to go to games.  

who's paying for the stadium? the Bills are is using Austin to extort the city of Buffalo. They expect cities (tax payers) to pay for their stadium.

15 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

I agree and don’t see any the city of Buffalo coming with the funds to pay for a new stadium. I don’t think the economy in Buffalo is exactly booming right now that they can shell out $5b on a new stadium 

5B for a stadium?  LOL, Buffalo isnt LA and you dont have to build a stadium that looks like a spaceship, look at NE as an example

1 hour ago, Biggs said:

They should move to NYC.  NY and LI has the population to support an NFL team.  Might look at locating to Brooklyn.  Large population who can afford to go to games.  

Cant, you'd have a TV conflict every single week.  Jets are on at 1, Giants on 4 then, visa versa.  

Want to move your football team where they will hardly be on TV?

16 minutes ago, Morrissey said:

who's paying for the stadium? the Bills are is using Austin to extort the city of Buffalo. They expect cities (tax payers) to pay for their stadium.

More likely the state, not the City.  I don’t even think they are looking to build within the actual city of Buffalo.  

10 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

Um, call me crazy, but if a billionaire wants a new toy for his toy, he should pay for it himself....not taxpayers.  

If given the opportunity to own said toy anywhere in the country, what is the chance it lands in Buffalo?  Not very likely.  

1 hour ago, Morrissey said:

I’m getting the sense the Pegula’s would prefer to be in a more cosmopolitan area.

3 hours ago, Biggs said:

No way the Jets and Giants would approve a third team in this market.

10 hours ago, jetscrazey said:

@CTM

10 hours ago, jetscrazey said:

I would think the Texans wouldn't be thrilled about it either, they are about the same distance as Arlington (depending on exactly where you put the stadium)

13 hours ago, adb280z said:

It'd be better if they had to start like an expansion team.  They don't keep rights to any players at all if they relocate.

Naaa, the City doesn't own the players.  But IMO the City SHOULD own the history and the team name/mascot.

12 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

As long as they get to take the roster with them, this wouldn’t be a deterrent.  

And of course there’s no way the NFL would support this anyways.  They encourage teams to move when stadium deals in their current cities don’t happen.  

Which is why I said "Congress", not "The NFL Owners".  

Even my fantasy idea isn't THAT level of fantasy to think the Owners would ever limit themselves in such a way willingly, lol.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Morrissey said:

Extort?

This is a business decision.  It's going on all over the country with all kinds of business.  States are drawing business away from the NE with tax incentives , and free land development.  It's working very well.

Austin has made a business offer of 2-3 billion dollars for the Bills to bring their product there.  So far NY, as they did with the Jets in the WSS, is thumbing their nose at them.

People with brains , and money are pouring out of NY and NJ for the same kind of reason.  Better life style, much cheaper.

If you lived in a rat hole trailer, and someone offered to build you a beautiful new house for FREE as part of a job offer.  The area the company is located in is a vibrant growing community.  Are you going to stay in a rat hole trailer, unemployed in Buffalo? 

• Upvote 2

This just isn't a football thing either.  A lot of white collar jobs are flowing into Florida.  Myself?  I was born and raised in the NYC area.  At one time I thought it was the only place in the world I could live.  After being in Florida a good number of years you couldn't get me back there with a gun.  I'll bet about half the posters on the board have fled, or are planning to leave the area first chance they get.

Florida Is Fast Becoming The Second Home For Wall Street

Jack Kelly
Jack Kelly
Senior Contributor
I write actionable interview, career and salary advice.
Follow
  •  
  •  
  •  
(Photo by Slim Aarons/Getty Images)

(Photo by Slim Aarons/Getty Images)

GETTY IMAGES

It's a cliche that New Yorkers move to sunny Florida when they retire. This trope is being updated. Now top Wall Street, hedge funds and financial services firms are moving out of New York and relocating or opening up offices in the Sunshine State. 

Virtu Financial Inc, a highly successful electronic trading firm that made about “$9.6 million a day” during the third quarter of 2020, is the most recent Wall Street player to set-up shop in Palm Beach Gardens, Florida. According to Bloomberg “Roughly 50 people, or 10% of Virtu’s U.S. workforce,” will be moving. Virtu’s Chief Executive Officer Doug Cifu said in Wall Street parlance about the migration, “We are dramatically oversubscribed for people who want to relocate from the tri-state area.” Cifu added, “We surveyed our employees, and the No. 1 concern that people had was quality of life—but also taking mass transit to New York City any time in the foreseeable future.” There's another benefit for the well-paid workers too. They will “see a lateral pay move, which amounts to around an 11% increase in salary because Florida has zero income tax.”

“I was always a non-work-from-home, people-gotta-be-in-the-office, trading-room kind of guy,” said Cifu. “But I don’t think it’s practical given the modern world and where people want to live their lives and where people are happiest.” After schlepping back and forth from his home in New Jersey to Manhattan, Cifu said about the move to Florida, “This is a forever thing,” and “We ain’t coming back.” 

PROMOTED

A combination of high taxes, poor governance on the part of New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio, ever-increasing crime, capricious business and school shutdowns and a resurgence in Covid-19 cases may have contributed to Goldman Sachs considering to move a large money management division to Florida. 

The absence of a state income tax, plus warm weather and a business-friendly mindset, has already prompted hedge fund billionaires and native New Yorkers Paul Singer and Carl Icahn to relocate their respective businesses to Florida. Blackstone Group, the large private equity firm, signed a long-term lease in October for office space in downtown Miami. Deutsche Bank previously established a sizable beachhead office complex in Jacksonville, Florida.

Ken Moelis, the CEO of his eponymous investment bank Moelis, told Bloomberg that his bankers wanted to leave New York City for Florida. In response to their request, Moelis replied, “We’re a talent business. I want to attract, I want to motivate and I want to retain the greatest talent in the world. And if that talent wants to do it in Florida, that’s where we’ll support them.”  

A recent study showed that at least 20% of Wall Street banks and financial services firms have thought about relocating workers to other locations outside of New York. This trend will result in a hard hit to New York City’s budget, as the securities industry accounts for a substantial amount of tax revenue. The white-collar employees tend to earn larger salaries and bonuses compared to people in other sectors. Their departure would worsen the situation for restaurants, retail stores and other businesses that are already reeling from the effects of the pandemic. 

The Covid-19 pandemic has shown that more work can be done remotely than ever before. Therefore, there is less of a need for costly offices. Unless city and state elected politicians make changes, the flight out of high-taxed, expensive cities will continue. As corporations and well-paid, white-collar workers leave, the cities will bear the brunt of plummeting tax revenue. The decline will force mayors to drastically cut costs. This will include massive layoffs of teachers, police officers, firefighters, garbage collectors and other municipal workers. 

With less services, the cities become dirtier, crime increases and living conditions worsen. This will prompt even more people to move. A cascading downward spiral could occur, making places like New York dangerous and inhospitable. It could become just like in the dark days of New York in the ‘70s. It took over a decade to turn things back around.   

United Van Lines released it's 44th Annual National Migration Study, that shows a movement from New York and other large cities to locations in the south and west. The report indicated that the Covid-19 pandemic “accelerated many of those decisions to move,” and “40% of Americans who moved did so for a new job or job transfer.” Other reasons for the move out of big cities were due to “concerns for personal and family health and wellbeing,” and “changes in employment status or work arrangement,” along with a “desired lifestyle change or improvement of quality of life.”

Eily Cummings, director of corporate communications at United Van Lines said about their customers, “As more people experience job and lifestyle changes amid the pandemic like remote working, we’re seeing they have more flexibility in where they can live – many choosing to move from urban to more rural areas.”

Here are the top inbound and outbound moves according to United Van Lines:

Moving In

The top inbound states  

• Idaho
  • South Carolina
  • Oregon
  • South Dakota
  • Arizona
  • North Carolina
  • Tennessee
  • Alabama
  • Florida
  • Arkansas

Moving Out

The top outbound states 

• New Jersey
  • New York
  • Illinois  
  • Connecticut
  • California
  • Kansas
  • North Dakota
  • Massachusetts
  • Ohio
  • Maryland

Follow me on Twitter or LinkedInCheck out my website or some of my other work here
Follow

I am a CEO, founder, and executive recruiter at one of the oldest and largest global search firms in my area of expertise, and have personally placed thousands of

Read More