NFL owners ranked from worst to first....

NYJ1

1 hour ago, Alka said:

I'll say another thing about Leon Hess, which the Big Tuna said he will never forget.

After the Jets lost to the Denver Broncos in the AFC Championship game, they took the "red-eye" flight home, and got there like 3:00 am in the morning.  Who was at the airport to greet the team, Old man Leon Hess.  He showed up in the middle of the night to thank the team for a great season.

Would either of the Johnson's have done that?  Absolutely not.  

Something that Bill Parcells said he would never forget!

Leon Hess was a Major in the  European Theater in WWII and was on Pattons Staff as Logistics officer in the Second Army S/G-4, and was personally commended by General Patton for his efficiency and expertise in keeping the Army moving and supplied, even as it extended its logistical chain. 

Just another FYI thing about our former franchise owner 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

On 8/1/2021 at 9:26 PM, CSNY said:

Will never forgive him from moving the Jets out of NY and to the Meadowlands. Still haven’t bought a gallon of Hess gas or any other Hess product since 1984

Not even the Christmas truck? 
now you’ll have to boycott Speedway though 

• Haha 1

On 8/1/2021 at 6:22 PM, Alka said:

Out of 32 teams, the Johnson brothers of the NY Jets are listed as the 29th worst owners in the NFL.

The opinion is that they get too involved in the decision making, and it hasn't been very good since 2010.  Only Daniel Snyder of Washington, the owner of the Jaguars and the owners of the Houston Texans are consdered worse owners.

Did you really expect anything different???

I did, we are talking about a team devoid of talent, wins and hope for so lokg, hell we didn't even have our own stadium for his sake and yet we are of the richest and profitable franchises world round. Hell we had the butt fumble, geno breaking his jaw and Tebow all in recent memory. But yet still the Green and white not only endure but grow. If that is not good ownership idk how you judge it really. On top of all of this we have been making some great choices lately and have set ourselves up to be relevant again.

I get it you hate woody but with all that being said we are worse 28 other owners? No ******* way.

17 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Leon Hess was a Major in the  European Theater in WWII and was on Pattons Staff as Logistics officer in the Second Army S/G-4, and was personally commended by General Patton for his efficiency and expertise in keeping the Army moving and supplied, even as it extended its logistical chain. 

Were you in the military or do you work for a defense contractor? Because you used the word "Theater" correctly. Just curious.

On 8/1/2021 at 7:47 PM, Warfish said:

Generally well meant and well intentioned (for a rich guy), but ineffective and ruled by emotions over objectivity and business sense, resulting in many poor decisions over the years.

Well meant and well intentioned, but ineffective with many poor decisions over the years sounds like he was the Sam Darnold of owners.  K-Met would have been a huge fan.

• Haha 2

On 8/1/2021 at 8:22 PM, Alka said:

Out of 32 teams, the Johnson brothers of the NY Jets are listed as the 29th worst owners in the NFL.

The opinion is that they get too involved in the decision making, and it hasn't been very good since 2010.  Only Daniel Snyder of Washington, the owner of the Jaguars and the owners of the Houston Texans are consdered worse owners.

Did you really expect anything different???

The New Math tells me there's one more owner you didn't mention ...

On 8/4/2021 at 2:23 AM, BornJetsFan1983 said:

I did, we are talking about a team devoid of talent, wins and hope for so lokg, hell we didn't even have our own stadium for his sake and yet we are of the richest and profitable franchises world round. Hell we had the butt fumble, geno breaking his jaw and Tebow all in recent memory. But yet still the Green and white not only endure but grow. If that is not good ownership idk how you judge it really. On top of all of this we have been making some great choices lately and have set ourselves up to be relevant again.

I get it you hate woody but with all that being said we are worse 28 other owners? No ******* way.

There is the past, the present, and the future.  

Going by the past, the Johnsons certainly deserve the 29th worst owners in the NFL.

Going by the present, there is a great deal to like here.  Until its get translated to the field, and get some wins and losses, then I agree that the Jets ownership remains near the bottom.

If I was to prognosticate where the Jets ownership will end up at the end of this year, I say they make a nice leap up the standings. The Johnsons just continue to stay out of JD's way, and they instantly move up the charts.

8 hours ago, Alka said:

There is the past, the present, and the future.  

Going by the past, the Johnsons certainly deserve the 29th worst owners in the NFL.

Going by the present, there is a great deal to like here.  Until its get translated to the field, and get some wins and losses, then I agree that the Jets ownership remains near the bottom.

If I was to prognosticate where the Jets ownership will end up at the end of this year, I say they make a nice leap up the standings. The Johnsons just continue to stay out of JD's way, and they instantly move up the charts.

I dont agree at all, im not sure how anyone can, we had piss poor product but been able to be one of most profitable teams ever and currently in the league. how do you square that and say they are bad owners...they are one of best owners...sure some bad hires whatever just really naïve to think they are among the worst owners. 

17 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

I dont agree at all, im not sure how anyone can, we had piss poor product but been able to be one of most profitable teams ever and currently in the league. how do you square that and say they are bad owners...they are one of best owners...sure some bad hires whatever just really naïve to think they are among the worst owners. 

I think you said it best when you said "piss poor product".   As a fan, I don't care how much money the team has made, I am interested in the product, because I am a consumer of the product.

If it's "piss poor" then that speaks volumes about the ownership.  

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

FYI, at yesterday's practice Woody Johnson came by and said hello to the fans and received an ovation and multiple cheers of "Thanks Woody!" and "Welcome back Woody!"

The forum whining is not indicative of how paying customers feel.

SAR I

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, SAR I said:

FYI, at yesterday's practice Woody Johnson came by and said hello to the fans and received an ovation and multiple cheers of "Thanks Woody!" and "Welcome back Woody!"

The forum whining is not indicative of how paying customers feel.

SAR I

That's good to hear.   Positive sign for sure.  FWIW, fans have always been civil over at Atlantic Health.  The boos come out at the stadium.

I was absolutely shocked to see us worth more than a storied NFL Pittsburgh Steelers Franchise. 

I thought it was pretty funny to see Buffalo ranked 32nd and dead last though but no, I'd hate to see their fan base lose their favorite team to Texas because those Buffalo fans are as loyal, diehard and passionate as they come (despite never winning a SB) and they'll take their shirts off their back in -10 degree snowstorm blizzards. I've got a lot of respect for those Buffalo fans and would be heartbroken for them if they ever lost their Buffalo football team. And our AFC East would never be the same. 

On 8/3/2021 at 5:40 PM, Alka said:

I'll say another thing about Leon Hess, which the Big Tuna said he will never forget.

After the Jets lost to the Denver Broncos in the AFC Championship game, they took the "red-eye" flight home, and got there like 3:00 am in the morning.  Who was at the airport to greet the team, Old man Leon Hess.  He showed up in the middle of the night to thank the team for a great season.

Would either of the Johnson's have done that?  Absolutely not.  

Something that Bill Parcells said he would never forget!

Parcells also said that his biggest regret as a coach was not being able to win that game so Leon Hess could see the Jets in the Super Bowl again before he died.

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Woody is a crook.  This is an example of how the IRS settles with the rich and would kill a regular business man.  He's a tax cheat and he likely settled for dimes on the dollar because he's got enough money to lawyer up and go against the IRS.  Anyone on this board would be a dead man walking.  

https://nypost.com/2006/08/01/blocking-taxes-jets-owner-dragged-into-offshore-scam-probe/

WASHINGTON – Robert Wood Johnson IV, the multimillionaire owner of the New York Jets, bought into an offshore tax scheme that made up billions worth of “fake” stock transactions to help clients dodge taxes – a stunning probe of corporate scams revealed. 

The tax shelter was conceived and peddled by the Seattle-based Quellos, LLC, and even got the blessing of white-shoe law firms who advised a handful of elite private clients to participate. 

But according to congressional investigators, the transaction was never intended to make a profit. Instead, it was a “loss importation strategy” to let wealthy investors avoid paying capital gains taxes owed to the IRS. 

According to internal e-mails obtained by investigators, Quellos accountants Chuck Wilk and Larry Scheinfeld boasted about the arrangement after Johnson, known as Woody, agreed to buy in for $150 million. 

“Ain’t capitalism great!” wrote Wilk. “Now I just hope Woody doesn’t get cold feet or have the IRS select his return for audit,” replied Scheinfeld. 

Another Quellos employee told investigators from the Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee that Quellos’ fees were tied to the amount of losses generated for their clients. 

Quellos got paid $2.9 million, or 2 percent of a “target tax loss” of $145 million, according to e-mails obtained by investigators. 

A key player was a shell corporation established in the Isle of Man called Barnville, and another corporation called Jackstones. 

Neither had any employees or substantial assets, according to investigators. Cayman Islands firms also played a role. 

The companies engaged in a complex web of transactions involving stock sales, loans, cash, and a trading company where 99 percent was owned by one entity and 1 percent by another – making it a “partnership” for tax purposes. 

Johnson told subcommittee investigators in an interview that he asked his accountant to find a way to defer capital tax gains he incurred when he sold stock to buy the Jets in 2000. 

Johnson, great-grandson of a Johnson & Johnson founder, paid $635 million for the team. 

The Johnson Company issued a statement saying Johnson entered into the transaction “on the advice of a longtime financial advisor” and “one of the most prestigious and well established law firms in the country” that the tax implications were “consistent with the Tax Code.” 

Earlier this year, Johnson settled with the IRS. He told investigators he owes $17 million in taxes and interest. 

A Quellos statement said investigators presented a “one-sided view,” and that the transaction had a “significant possibility of economic gain or loss.”

On 8/1/2021 at 7:44 PM, k-met57 said:

can someone give me a good fan perspective on Hess? i am just young enough to not remember caring about ownership back then. By all accounts the Johnsons are at least an upgrade over Hess?

Mr. Hess was by *all accounts* a well liked, respected and decent man.  Served in WWII and was self made in business.  No trust fund twittery.  He was the real deal. 

His role with the Jets was to be the money bag in a partnership with Sonny Werblin, who was the brains behind the operation.  

When Sonny left, Mr. Hess continued to do what he did prior.  Nothing much involving football.  Just a money guy.  It showed until he cut loose and employed the Tuna... 

Mr. Hess passes away and Johnson got control of the Jets.  Everyone that was on board including Parcells and Beleichick got a load of Johnson and then got the hell out of town and man, I mean quickly... 

So... That's how that one went. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Biggs said:

Woody is a crook.  This is an example of how the IRS settles with the rich and would kill a regular business man.  He's a tax cheat and he likely settled for dimes on the dollar because he's got enough money to lawyer up and go against the IRS.  Anyone on this board would be a dead man walking.  

https://nypost.com/2006/08/01/blocking-taxes-jets-owner-dragged-into-offshore-scam-probe/

taxation is theft

4 hours ago, Alka said:

I think you said it best when you said "piss poor product".   As a fan, I don't care how much money the team has made, I am interested in the product, because I am a consumer of the product.

If it's "piss poor" then that speaks volumes about the ownership.  

ok sure but evaluating ownership you have to give them credit for making it profitable...i have rocks in my yard but the guy who sold the pet rock was much better than because he made i profitable..think about ...that is my only point if you are going to evaluate ownership success on the field is not the metric is profitability....Buffalo had got a great product right now but the ownership is not that great for example.

42 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

ok sure but evaluating ownership you have to give them credit for making it profitable...i have rocks in my yard but the guy who sold the pet rock was much better than because he made i profitable..think about ...that is my only point if you are going to evaluate ownership success on the field is not the metric is profitability....Buffalo had got a great product right now but the ownership is not that great for example.

But the team is inherently profitable by being in the NY marketplace and having a built-in, loyal fanbase.  What have the Johnson's done that have made the franchise more profitable since taking over?

The team hasn't made the playoffs in over a decade and hasn't won a division title since 2002.  Those are tangible, objective metrics that demonstrate the Johnson's have sucked. 

Now that they seem to be allowing the GM to do the job, hopefully things get better.  But the # 29 spot in the rankings is well-deserved. 

I don't have the time, or patience for fifteen minutes of a video like this. But, if Bob "Handy Man" Kraft is even sniffing the top half in rank, I might throw up.

EDIT: OK, I found out. They ranked Handy Man Kraft, whose team has multiple cheating scandals, and the record (by an enormous margin) for league fines, as the number one ranked owner. The creators of this list are without morals, or common sense.

And now I shall go throw up...

• Upvote 1

On 8/3/2021 at 7:23 PM, Jet_Engine1 said:

Thank you for introducing generations of fans to this part of Jets history.

An officer capable of ensuring the logistical support of a rapidly moving mechanized army comprised of tens of thousands of men in combat is a great feat.

I wonder how his command experience may have influenced his team ownership decisions.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Ian Fleming said:

An officer capable of ensuring the logistical support of a rapidly moving mechanized army comprised of tens of thousands of men in combat is a great feat.

I wonder how his command experience may have influenced his team ownership decisions.

Well he did move the team to New Jersey 

15 hours ago, Ian Fleming said:

One thing I do know, is that when the press asked Bill Parcells how it is to deal with the owner, Leon Hess, Bill was direct and blunt.  He said that whenever he was on the phone with Mr. Hess, Mr. Hess would ask him "is there anything you need from me Bill".   That was pretty much it!  

What does that tell me?  It tells me that Mr. Hess knew what he knew and what he didn't know.  You move out of the way and allow the experts to make the key decisions.  The most and best Mr. Hess could do was allow Bill to do whatever he needed to do to help the team win, and asked the simple question, "Is there anything you need from me Bill?"  And to watch Bill Parcells tell it, you knew that he very much appreciated that sentiment coming from Mr. Hess.