Jump to content

Training camp 8/2 - practice updates


Recommended Posts

22 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

The interesting thing to me about all the "bad footwork" "off platform throws" nonsense is that is also what Darnold was supposed to be.  Usually teams go out of their way to make a different mistake and draft a completely different player.  I see a bunch of similarities between Darnold and Wilson as prospects.  

jim gaffigan comedian GIF by TV Land

  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Meanwhile, in other news. Edit - No mention of Tua or Mac Jones, since it sounds like they are having pretty good dayts,.

Thank you giants for taking kadarius toney over elijah moore.

Posted Images

19 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Maybe while your scratching it, you should ask yourself, why am I taking this interwebz business so serious?

It was a joke homey, if I really cared that much, I would have found our entire conversation and done some DWC quotapolooza sh*t and posted a bunch of gifs and videos and pictures rubbing it your face.  I did not do any of that, I made a funny that many people laughed and you took serious. 

 

Taking it seriously? SERIOUSLY?

did you not see the smiling emoji after my comment? Did you not realize I was almost verbatim stating what Paradis stated to me?

 

Oh jiffffffy

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

 

All I am saying is make sure you keep that same energy when Zach looks similar.

I, for one, am already prepared for Wilson to suck and make fun of him.

It's the Jet fan way.

  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Stark said:

ee68c11c02c584936170906f8188d1ca.thumb.gif.3b2509cb33eb2c38ed4d106026af983d.gifselection-self-service-catering-continental-breakfast-buffet-display-catering-brunch-table-selection-self-service-182625708.thumb.jpg.0a49d6421f9a6901ec15fecbac07b80a.jpgCrusher having his PRE - Breakfast, breakfast

Is that the VIP Pre Fan Breakfast at camp? When I was there, it was good, but not that good

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

Taking it seriously? SERIOUSLY?

did you not see the smiling emoji after my comment? Did you not realize I was almost verbatim stating what Paradis stated to me?

 

Oh jiffffffy

Why are you yelling at me?  Calm down. 

No, I didnt notice your little smiley face thingy and I dont have notes on the conversations you have with others, my bad b.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Ken Schroy said:

Poor Sam. Not surprised. Trevor may not be ready for prime time.

Don't feel to sorry for "Poor Sam".  he just pocketed another $20M or so

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mogglez said:
This is the 4th report saying that he was “eh” today and that it was anything but great.  He had a, mostly, bad practice.  Who knows if it was an install day, unless it’s said by the coaches.  Just like you have no idea if Trevor or Sam’s practices were install days.  I just find it funny that when Trevor, Fields, or Sam have a bad practice this place laughs their socks off while simultaneously looking to spin every negative into a positive for a bad Zach day.

It's almost as if this is a Jets forum filled with Jets fans.  

  • Haha 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

The interesting thing to me about all the "bad footwork" "off platform throws" nonsense is that is also what Darnold was supposed to be.  Usually teams go out of their way to make a different mistake and draft a completely different player.  I see a bunch of similarities between Darnold and Wilson as prospects.  

Agreed.  I don't think any other QB was really in consideration at 2 though.  I suspect it was either him, or stick with Darnold.  Even though Darnold wasn't drafted by JD, give credit for being willing to make the same mistake twice.  Just because a decision doesn't work out doesn't mean that next time you need to do the opposite...

What remains to be seen - is it that he *can* make those throws, or is it that he makes throws like that when he doesn't have to?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mogglez said:

This is the 4th report saying that he was “eh” today and that it was anything but great.  He had a, mostly, bad practice.  Who knows if it was an install day, unless it’s said by the coaches.  Just like you have no idea if Trevor or Sam’s practices were install days.  I just find it funny that when Trevor, Fields, or Sam have a bad practice this place laughs their socks off while simultaneously looking to spin every negative into a positive for a bad Zach day.

Not sure how a mixed day or how you put it "eh" then turns into Mostly Bad. 

Sounds like he made one bad read on the INT and then pretty much a flat day - nothing special but nothing bad either.

He's going to have ups and downs and anyone expecting this kid to be an all-pro this year is going to completely wrong.  He's going to struggle A LOT.  It's the nature of rookie QB's in a new system with 7 new starters.

But no reason to make what was a basic day and call is Mostly Bad.  It wasn't Mostly Bad.  9 for 16, 2TD's and a Pick.  Surely not a great day but not Bad.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JiFapono said:

Dude. Com'e on.  lol  Every QB in the NFL can make that throw.  Anywho, there is no reason to go to this length to defend him.  I didnt even knock him, I asked a question.  And stop acting like I'm making this about who I wanted.   I've literally not brought up that players name once, since draft day.  Not once.  It's this legion of posters who want to pin me as a Zach hater and Fields lover who continue to bring him up.

I'm ride or die with Zachkapono because he's the QB of my favorite Football team.  So as a fan curious about what's going on in camp and interested in Zach's development, I simply asked a poster who I respect, that was at practice, his observations that were/are a concern for many of us.  Nothing more, nothing less.  I even said in my post, maybe the coaching staff doesnt want to mess with those aspects of his game because that's what makes him unique but wanted someone's opinion that was there to see it first hand.

 

 

I wasn't attacking you, but complaining about Zach making off platform throws when it was viewed as his biggest strength, is sort of like making a tinder date with a redhead and when you get there you are like " I don't do redheads"

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, thshadow said:

Agreed.  I don't think any other QB was really in consideration at 2 though.  I suspect it was either him, or stick with Darnold.  Even though Darnold wasn't drafted by JD, give credit for being willing to make the same mistake twice.  Just because a decision doesn't work out doesn't mean that next time you need to do the opposite...

What remains to be seen - is it that he *can* make those throws, or is it that he makes throws like that when he doesn't have to?

 

The difference is judgement, right? When to do that stuff and the reading of the defense and understanding of schemes so that stuff comes off and balancing that with not playing hero ball.

I get the sense that the reason JD and others considered keeping Darnold this Spring is precisely because of his ability to do the off platform stuff and their belief that they could reduce the errors/misreads through their system. They saw a maybe more physically gifted (albeit on a more slight frame, bigger arm) on Wilson with similar traits, but based on their eval think he has the horsepower to process the game better and make sounder decisions with the ball. 

For all our sakes - I HOPE THEY ARE RIGHT!!!

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, johnnysd said:

I wasn't attacking you, but complaining about Zach making off platform throws when it was viewed as his biggest strength, is sort of like making a tinder date with a redhead and when you get there you are like " I don't do redheads"

The thing is that I think our staff LOVES the off platform thing. They just want better decision making on when to do it.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, peekskill68 said:

Everyone killing DJ Bien-Aime, remember the alternative...

 

 

Untitled3.jpg

He's new.  Mehta wasn't "Metha" at first. When he worked for the Jersey paper.  

DJ works for the NYDN, he's a Dolphin fan, he'll be just as much an A Hole shortly.  

  • Upvote 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

I wasn't attacking you, but complaining about Zach making off platform throws when it was viewed as his biggest strength, is sort of like making a tinder date with a redhead and when you get there you are like " I don't do redheads"

If off platform throws are his biggest strength then there’s going to be problems. He has to be able to play under duress from the pocket and that’s what he needs to be good at. He’s got the talent to do it, he just was never really pressured in college.

The off balance bomb he threw at his pro day looked cool and all but would never happen during a game.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, flgreen said:

He's new.  Mehta wasn't "Metha" at first. When he worked for the Jersey paper.  

DJ works for the NYDN, he's a Dolphin fan, he'll be just as much an A Hole shortly.  

It's pretty clear the Daily News plan is to get clicks by hiring people that will agitate the base.  

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, ryu79 said:

The thing is that I think our staff LOVES the off platform thing. They just want better decision making on when to do it.

Yes, he was drafted partly because of that skill-set.  He has very good footwork when he needs to but also has the ability to throw the ball accurately from different arm angles and off-platform

The only reason to be concerned about his footwork is because you're trying to find something wrong with him so you can be proven right.

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Not sure how a mixed day or how you put it "eh" then turns into Mostly Bad. 

Sounds like he made one bad read on the INT and then pretty much a flat day - nothing special but nothing bad either.

He's going to have ups and downs and anyone expecting this kid to be an all-pro this year is going to completely wrong.  He's going to struggle A LOT.  It's the nature of rookie QB's in a new system with 7 new starters.

But no reason to make what was a basic day and call is Mostly Bad.  It wasn't Mostly Bad.  9 for 16, 2TD's and a Pick.  Surely not a great day but not Bad.

I don't make too much of these camp reports for good vs. bad, but is 2 TDs impressive?  Didn't they do most of the 7 on 7s from the 5 yard line? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

It will be interesting to see if the o-line looks better once the pads go on tomorrow.  I suspect they will since it’s harder on the o-line when the pads are off.   

Just from the tweets, it seems like the Jets are generating a good bit of pressure on Wilson.  is that what you were seeing?

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

I wasn't attacking you, but complaining about Zach making off platform throws when it was viewed as his biggest strength, is sort of like making a tinder date with a redhead and when you get there you are like " I don't do redheads"

I mean, you literally ended your over the top defense of an observation/question with - "we all know you preferred Fields?".  So yeah, you did take it personal for some odd ball reason, just like you're doing now.   I'm not complaining about anything and I asked about his footwork, not his arm angles, his footwork. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Yup.  All I’m trying to say is maybe just worry about the Jets and not about laughing at former flames (Sam) or the girl that got away (Lawrence).

images.jpeg.33ab9251ecbc2c7499a4157024a0e7c7.jpeg

If you haven't seen Mitchell's vs the Machines the resemblance is uncanny.

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I don't make too much of these camp reports for good vs. bad, but is 2 TDs impressive?  Didn't they do most of the 7 on 7s from the 5 yard line? 

Think they ran 6 plays inside of the red zone.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

If off platform throws are his biggest strength then there’s going to be problems. He has to be able to play under duress from the pocket and that’s what he needs to be good at. He’s got the talent to do it, he just was never really pressured in college.

The off balance bomb he threw at his pro day looked cool and all but would never happen during a game.

The off platform is fine, it's the footwork that scares me.   It's Sammy D all over again.   Feet pointed one way, ball goes the other and it's scary, both loves to throw across the field and Zach tends to heel click/leave his feet.   Again, Zach has a stronger more accurate arm so hopefully he can get away with it the way Sam doesnt but I was really just curious if they were coaching that piece out of him that could be seen at practice.  I think it can be a strength but it also can lead to inaccurate passes and can put your body in vulnerable positions. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Rich Cimini
DT Sheldon Rankins came from a Saints scheme that allowed DLM to penetrate but required gap control. With the Jets, “it’s get 3 yards in the backfield and, excuse my French, however the f—— it happens.” Rankins spoke “French” a few times in today’s candid/fun presser. #Jets
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Dennis Waszak Jr.
Oh, and this one, too: On the #Jets’ D-line: “Whoever we roll out there, teams better buckle their 💩.” Also with the obligatory pardoning of French.
Sheldon Rankins had an entertaining chat with reporters - asking us to “pardon my French” a few times. 🤪 On Becton: “I’ve seen some big people. He’s 🤬ing big.” On Fatukasi: I tell him all the time, I literally walk up to him and tell him, “You a big motha🤬 #Jets https://t.co/co1rO6T612
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...