Training camp 8/2 - practice updates

Jets Practice Recap - 8/2/21

02 AUGUST 2021

The Jets were on the field for another training camp practice on Monday with media and fans on hand.

Here's what went down during practice, based on media reports and tweets from those in attendance:

• Injured defensive tackle Quinnen Williams, who should be back next week, was running over on the side and did position drills for the first time;
  • Cameron Clark, who was playing right guard with the second unit, and Tanzel Smart traded punches during the team session;
  • Zach Wilson made a slow start as he had to check down a couple of times, including on one pass that was slapped away from La'Mical Perine;
  • Elijah Moore caught a pass from James Morgan on a curl route;
  • On Wilson's second series he picked up big yardage on a screen to Jamison Crowder with the offensive line getting downfield well;
  • He rounded out an efficient set with completions to Ace Carter, Ryan Griffin and Denzel Mims;
  • Mike White hit Chris Herndon but then underthrew Mims on an incompletion;
  • In red zone 11-on-11's CJ Mosley almost intercepted Wilson on an attempt to Moore;
  • The defense stopped the next few plays with a Carl Lawson run stop and a John Franklin-Myers pressure but then Tevin Coleman rushed for a touchdown;
  • White found Moore for a touchdown as he beat Corey Ballentine on a whip route;
  • Bryce Hall broke up a pass intended for Cole and then was in close coverage on a diving catch by Moore as Wilson threaded the needle for the completion;
  • Wilson made a poor decision in 7-on-7 redzone and was intercepted by a leaping Blessuan Austin. He bounced back to find Herndon for a touchdown though;
  • Wilson continued to have mixed results in the rest of the red zone session;
  • The backups each had touchdown passes to the tight ends with White hitting Daniel Brown and Morgan hitting Herndon and Kenny Yeboah; and
  • On defense, Hamsah Nasirildeen and Justin Hardee each broke up a pass, Jamien Sherwood had a pressure.

There is another practice tomorrow at 10:20 a.m. ET. Check back here for more of the same.

• Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I don't make too much of these camp reports for good vs. bad, but is 2 TDs impressive?  Didn't they do most of the 7 on 7s from the 5 yard line? 

Not impressive at all, but it's not "Mostly Bad" though. 

That's all I was saying - just because it wasn't spectacular doesn't mean it was bad.  

• Upvote 2

From @KRL camp reports.

- The defense unveiled their blitz packages which stifled the offense and allowed
them to win the day.  Let's see if the offense can recover when I go back on
Wednesday

Could explain a lot of why it was an uneven day for the QB's.  and this

QB Notes

- A tough sledding day for Zach Wilson with no "sexy plays".  As the defense clamped
down completions were hard to come by.  But I will give him credit for not forcing things,
taking checkdowns and even throwing balls away when no one was open.  He didn't compound
a tough day by turning the ball over and making the practice a cluster"bleep".  Even 
his INT that I mentioned before by Austin wasn't awful, he was throwing it high for his
WR but Austin just went and got it.  Let's see him recover on Wednesday

If you have not read his camp notes, I would.  They're a heck of a lot better, and unbiased (not looking for click bait) then the paid scribes. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JiFapono said:

The off platform is fine, it's the footwork that scares me.   It's Sammy D all over again.   Feet pointed one way, ball goes the other and it's scary, both loves to throw across the field and Zach tends to heel click/leave his feet.   Again, Zach has a stronger more accurate arm so hopefully he can get away with it the way Sam doesnt but I was really just curious if they were coaching that piece out of him that could be seen at practice.  I think it can be a strength but it also can lead to inaccurate passes and can put your body in vulnerable positions. 

Would like to see him square his shoulders with his feet and step into more throws. We will see soon enough.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, JiFapono said:

100%.  That was what I found so ironic about the fawning over Wilson during the predraft stuff.  He does everything you hate about Darnold almost routinely.  That said, he looks to be a more fluid athlete with a stronger more accurate arm.  So maybe he can get away with it at the next level the way Sam could not and already, he's working with a 10x better cast of characters.  

The thing about that is Wilson makes better decisions than Darnold did - at least in college, anyway. The problem with Sam wasn't that he could do that stuff, it was that he didn't know when to do it and when to fight another day. 

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

The thing about that is Wilson makes better decisions than Darnold did - at least in college, anyway. The problem with Sam wasn't that he could do that stuff, it was that he didn't know when to do it and when to fight another day. 

so it was poor coaching you say? 

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

Not impressive at all, but it's not "Mostly Bad" though. 

That's all I was saying - just because it wasn't spectacular doesn't mean it was bad.  

Two might be more impressive when as in todays practice he only had six plays

Either way, as you said, not mostly bad.  They do play against a defense thats trying to make plays

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Snook said:

images.jpeg.33ab9251ecbc2c7499a4157024a0e7c7.jpeg

If you haven't seen Mitchell's vs the Machines the resemblance is uncanny.

Also, if you haven’t seen it … do so. It’s good. That team was also behind Spiderverse. Excellent animation and storytelling.

What were we taking about?

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, sec101row23 said:

Thank you.   I’ll be there on Wednesday I think.   I don’t write anything down, they’re just my observations.   I think when watching these practices it’s important to realize that they are working specific packages and situations.   They aren’t lining up in a “scrimmage” mode and running the whole playbook.   

When you watch the walkthrough and the drills they do before the 11 on 11’s, you can tell what they are going to be working on.   People will say that Zach “checked down” a lot today, well yea, that was by design.   They were working on getting the ball to the RB and the slot WR in the flat for an hour before 11 on 11.   Even the RB drills today were all about working the flats.  

That's cool.  I might go to a Jags TC day with a client, just to see Urban and Trevor work on sh*t in practice.  I think the hardest thing for these guys, especially a rookie and double it for the QB who is a film junky like Zach, is that it's one thing to recognize it, talk about it, work thought it, write it on a white board but it's a whole new ball game to do it on the field and 90% of these practices is just that, working out something specific that you observed and worked on in meetings.  Hence my specific question about footwork.  It's also why you dont read a tweet like "Mims is working with the 3's" or "Trevor Lawrence threw 3 picks" - and make any conclusions. We have no idea what the plan was for that day.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, flgreen said:

Jets Practice Recap - 8/2/21

02 AUGUST 2021

The Jets were on the field for another training camp practice on Monday with media and fans on hand.

Here's what went down during practice, based on media reports and tweets from those in attendance:

• Injured defensive tackle Quinnen Williams, who should be back next week, was running over on the side and did position drills for the first time;
  • Cameron Clark, who was playing right guard with the second unit, and Tanzel Smart traded punches during the team session;
  • Zach Wilson made a slow start as he had to check down a couple of times, including on one pass that was slapped away from La'Mical Perine;
  • Elijah Moore caught a pass from James Morgan on a curl route;
  • On Wilson's second series he picked up big yardage on a screen to Jamison Crowder with the offensive line getting downfield well;
  • He rounded out an efficient set with completions to Ace Carter, Ryan Griffin and Denzel Mims;
  • Mike White hit Chris Herndon but then underthrew Mims on an incompletion;
  • In red zone 11-on-11's CJ Mosley almost intercepted Wilson on an attempt to Moore;
  • The defense stopped the next few plays with a Carl Lawson run stop and a John Franklin-Myers pressure but then Tevin Coleman rushed for a touchdown;
  • White found Moore for a touchdown as he beat Corey Ballentine on a whip route;
  • Bryce Hall broke up a pass intended for Cole and then was in close coverage on a diving catch by Moore as Wilson threaded the needle for the completion;
  • Wilson made a poor decision in 7-on-7 redzone and was intercepted by a leaping Blessuan Austin. He bounced back to find Herndon for a touchdown though;
  • Wilson continued to have mixed results in the rest of the red zone session;
  • The backups each had touchdown passes to the tight ends with White hitting Daniel Brown and Morgan hitting Herndon and Kenny Yeboah; and
  • On defense, Hamsah Nasirildeen and Justin Hardee each broke up a pass, Jamien Sherwood had a pressure.

There is another practice tomorrow at 10:20 a.m. ET. Check back here for more of the same.

Arrrggghhh. Nobody is going to say it, mateys!!! So let it be I that brings ye word from the new world.

The wee cabin boy should be held below deck this season.

The Captain should helm this ship.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

That's cool.  I might go to a Jags TC day with a client, just to see Urban and Trevor work on sh*t in practice.  I think the hardest thing for these guys, especially a rookie and double it for the QB who is a film junky like Zach, is that it's one thing to recognize it, talk about it, work thought it, write it on a white board but it's a whole new ball game to do it on the field and 90% of these practices is just that, working out something specific that you observed and worked on in meetings.  Hence my specific question about footwork.  It's also why you dont read a tweet like "Mims is working with the 3's" or "Trevor Lawrence threw 3 picks" - and make any conclusions. We have no idea what the plan was for that day.

It’s not about recognition. Or film. 

It’s about chest hair, boots with buckles, and a willingness to walk the plank fer yer crew.

A true Captain knows.

• Haha 2

57 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

Decision making is really one of those things that I dont think you can really make any claims of until you see live bullets.  So many guys were awesome at in college but terrible at in the pros and vice versa really, that I dont think you really know until you see it first hand.  That said, Sam is/was a total bonehead who did some of the dumbest sh*t you've ever seen with a Football, so I dont think it will be hard to be better from that perspective and as I said, Wilson is a more fluid athlete with a much better arm all around; strength, accuracy, faster release, etc.  

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Why?

Release will be too slow? Arm strength won't be strong enough? Not accurate?  

I think 2 and 3 are probably true. Again we’ll have to see him tested under pressure first. If he starts contorting his body while the pocket gets messy you’re going to see the same things that happened to Darnold. He could get away with it at BYU as he was barely breathed on. He doesn’t have Mahomes, Staffords or Rodgers arm. 

This system is much better suited for him though anyways. He has experience lining up under center unlike Darnold. He knows how to carry out a fake. The line has some road grading road run blockers. I expect him to have success out of play action.

11 hours ago, Lith said:
The Captain is heating up!!!

?‍☠️

11 hours ago, kdels62 said:

James Morgan seems to be cooking. He’s a player I’m really looking forward to watching during preseason.

?‍☠️

10 hours ago, Drums said:

Wow I'm happy to see Morgan having some success. Even just hearing Clarke's name at RG was awesome. Mims making a comeback. Moore, spectacular. Hell of a day.

Thanks for sharing the tweets guys!

?‍☠️

10 hours ago, Spoot-Face said:

QB controversy!!!

?‍☠️

Aye. Only a matter of time, matey. They weren’t expecting this to be a grown swashbuckling man vs. a cabin boy.

They keep the main sheet hoisted to limit the view, but you heard it here first.

It be me.

day talk GIF

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 3