*** Around the League ***

nycdan

NFL Insider Aaron Wilson reports the Texans are "prepared" to declare Deshaun Watson inactive for every week in 2021.

This is unfortunately what this situation has come to after the league, Commissioner Roger Goodell, and the organization have run from any accountability throughout the tumultuous process. Watson, who remains adamant on playing elsewhere despite reportedly nixing a recent deal in place from Philadelphia, would still receive the $10.54 million salary he's due for being on Houston's 53-man roster. The 25-year-old should not be expected to play a single down of football with any team in 2021.

... See More
Aug 30, 2021, 3:39 PM ET
  •  

• WTF? 1
  • Haha 1

NFL%20178x142%20DarkGrey.png
G, UNSIGNED FREE AGENT
Michael Schofield

Ravens released G Michael Schofield.

In a rush to get down to 53 men on the final roster, Baltimore released WRs Devin Gray and Siaosi Mariner and ultimately terminated Schofield's contract. The 6'6", 301-pound 30-year-old initially signed with the team in June. There's a terrific chance he lands elsewhere as a practice squad reserve ahead of Week 1.

Aug 30, 2021, 4:26 PM ET
  •  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

That’s on gettleman, he drafted jones so he’s got to do everything he can to help him succeed.  If jones can’t cut it this year, the giants will be in an interesting position, they have 2 firsts next year so they can target qbs but why would you let gettleman draft another one?

and he drafted a RB at 2 who can stay on the field. no way he is around to draft another QB.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 92ShaunEllis92 said:

NFL Insider Aaron Wilson reports the Texans are "prepared" to declare Deshaun Watson inactive for every week in 2021.

This is unfortunately what this situation has come to after the league, Commissioner Roger Goodell, and the organization have run from any accountability throughout the tumultuous process. Watson, who remains adamant on playing elsewhere despite reportedly nixing a recent deal in place from Philadelphia, would still receive the $10.54 million salary he's due for being on Houston's 53-man roster. The 25-year-old should not be expected to play a single down of football with any team in 2021.

... See More
Aug 30, 2021, 3:39 PM ET
  •  

wait what? Phila made a trade offer and he turned it down? 1st time i heard this. guess he really will hold out for the team he wants to go too

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

This shouod be a no brainer for us considering our linebacker depth 

That would be HILARIOUS if we ended up with BOTH Lawson & McKinney who were traded for one another 5 months ago. Lol. 

Dolphins released LB Benardrick McKinney. 

Acquired from the Texans in March, McKinney was running as a starter the first few weeks of camp before fading. His releases comes even after his contract was restructured in extremely team-friendly terms. Headed into his age-29 campaign, McKinney was limited to four games by a shoulder injury last season. The Dolphins will move forward with Jerome Baker and Elandon Roberts at inside 'backer. McKinney's experience will probably make him a regular on the workout circuit this season. 

RELATED: 
SOURCE: Miami Herald 
Aug 30, 2021, 7:40 PM ET
  •  

G, UNSIGNED FREE AGENT
13567.jpg

Broncos waived OG Austin Schlottmann. 

A 2018 UDFA, Schlottmann appeared in all 16 games each of the past two years, making six starts. The Broncos reportedly "hope" he can be stashed on the practice squad. That profile is the kind that might draw a gander or two on waivers, so it is not a given. 

RELATED: 
Aug 30, 2021, 8:12 PM ET
  •  

Andrew Thomas just does not look like an NFL tackle.  You just felt he would not be good.

Billy Price looked like an NFL C/G.  I think the injury did him in.  Great OSU interior OL tend to work out in the NFL.  I would take Pat Elflein back-he will be starting RG for the Panthers.  Lets see how QW and SR do against him.  

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Barkus said:

Browns cutting DE Curtis Weaver 2nd yr player from Boise State. His name was kicked around in the draft forum as a possible fit when he came out.

Absolutely he was!

Any idea what happened?  Is it just a numbers game at DE in Cleveland?  I haven't followed him since the Draft.

EDIT:  Just read that he had a pretty severe injury before his rookie year in Miami.  Broke his toe somewhat horrifically.  Sounds like he hasn't been completely the same since.

I just checked the preseason stats for the Browns.  Weaver played in every game and had several tackles and a QB hit.  He might be worth a look.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Barkus said:

Browns cutting DE Curtis Weaver 2nd yr player from Boise State. His name was kicked around in the draft forum as a possible fit when he came out.

He’s worth a look at this point if you’re going based on young talent/toolset, cheap salary, provides depth at a current position of need. 

1 hour ago, varjet said:

Andrew Thomas just does not look like an NFL tackle.  You just felt he would not be good.

Billy Price looked like an NFL C/G.  I think the injury did him in.  Great OSU interior OL tend to work out in the NFL.  I would take Pat Elflein back-he will be starting RG for the Panthers.  Lets see how QW and SR do against him.  

Thomas did not look good at all in that last preseason game.  He’s soft, has no technique

Thank God we ended up with Becton

• Upvote 1

TE, UNSIGNED FREE AGENT
13349.jpg

Texans waived TE Ryan Izzo.

Izzo - 6’5” 255lbs. FSU - was acquired from the Patriots in March but is unable to crack GM Nick Caserio’s first roster. He caught 13 passes on 631 snaps last season in New England.

RELATED: 
Aug 30, 2021, 9:28 PM ET
  •  

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, doitny said:

wait what? Phila made a trade offer and he turned it down? 1st time i heard this. guess he really will hold out for the team he wants to go too

The Texans should just F*** him after that.

He signs a new contract for huge money, less than a year later he decides he wants out after a tough year.  He then deep sixes himself and the team by the whole masseuse thing and now he tunes don philly?

Sorry son this is not the NBA.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Albaniajet said:

Thomas did not look good at all in that last preseason game.  He’s soft, has no technique

Thomas to me is totally shocking.  He looked very good to me at Georgia, he looked pro ready.  I'm astounded he has been so bad.

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, 92ShaunEllis92 said:
TE, UNSIGNED FREE AGENT
13349.jpg

Texans waived TE Ryan Izzo.

Izzo - 6’5” 255lbs. FSU - was acquired from the Patriots in March but is unable to crack GM Nick Caserio’s first roster. He caught 13 passes on 631 snaps last season in New England.

RELATED: 
Aug 30, 2021, 9:28 PM ET
  •  

Jets should consider Izzo as a 3rd TE. Excellent blocker who can catch. Not a dynamic unicorn type, but an old-fashioned TE who can do the dirty work as a blocker and catch a few passes. Still young too, just 25 years old this season.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, 92ShaunEllis92 said:
G, UNSIGNED FREE AGENT
Michael Schofield

Ravens released G Michael Schofield.

In a rush to get down to 53 men on the final roster, Baltimore released WRs Devin Gray and Siaosi Mariner and ultimately terminated Schofield's contract. The 6'6", 301-pound 30-year-old initially signed with the team in June. There's a terrific chance he lands elsewhere as a practice squad reserve ahead of Week 1.

Aug 30, 2021, 4:26 PM ET
  •  

Knew he was going to escape that situation. michael scofield love GIF by Prison Break

• Haha 1

Former Jet who can play G & OT. Always liked him and wished he got more of a shot. Played with a nasty streak when he was here. Not sure if he is a blocking scheme fit though

Packers released G Ben Braden. 

The move comes as a surprise after Green Bay coaches talked about Braden as if he would start in 2021. A game day elevation three times before being added to the 53-man roster for Week 17 last year, Braden played four snaps on offense and 19 on special teams.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

Former Jet who can play G & OT. Always liked him and wished he got more of a shot. Played with a nasty streak when he was here. Not sure if he is a blocking scheme fit though

Packers released G Ben Braden. 

The move comes as a surprise after Green Bay coaches talked about Braden as if he would start in 2021. A game day elevation three times before being added to the 53-man roster for Week 17 last year, Braden played four snaps on offense and 19 on special teams.

Think he's probably more of a man/power blocker than a zone blocking guy.  I liked him when he was here, though.

Mind you, Packers run a zone scheme and they seemed to like him....until they cut him, of course.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

Think he's probably more of a man/power blocker than a zone blocking guy.  I liked him when he was here, though.

Mind you, Packers run a zone scheme and they seemed to like him....until they cut him, of course.

I thought about that after I posted it (him having played in GB which may have same zone blocking scheme as us).

1 hour ago, Doggin94it said:

Draft forum favorite got cut in Washington 

Wild. Not like they’re deep at WR. AGG had a decent preseason too. Joe….?

more likely possibility- they also cut Jimmy Moreland, slot CB who showed well imo and played feisty. 

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Wild. Not like they’re deep at WR. AGG had a decent preseason too. Joe….?

more likely possibility- they also cut Jimmy Moreland, slot CB who showed well imo and played feisty. 

Mclaurin is a beast. Samuel is very good. Dyami looks like another steal at WR. Humphries is solid and Cam Sims is likely their #5. Not to mention Logan Thomas has emerged at TE. Mckissic is an excellent pass catching back and Antonio Gibson is looking like a stud RB. WFT is more loaded on offense than many are giving them credit for. 

• Upvote 3

11 hours ago, Albaniajet said:

If I had Fant signed I was drafting Wirfs, not Becton.  Wirfs is a pros pro.  Becton is a freak of nature, but a mess.  

• Thumb Down 2