KRL Camp Notes (8/2/21)

KRL

1 minute ago, KRL said:

- ** RED FLAG ** They were in jerseys & shorts once again.  This is the fifth
day of camp, where are the full pads???  Is this coming down from the league
or is this a Robert Saleh decision?  You can't prep for real football by
playing two hand touch

I've been following the other AFC East camps and Belichick said something on Friday that the pads would be on Tuesday. I have a suspicion this is league wide and you'll see teams in pads tomorrow. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, KRL said:

General Notes

- Practice ran 2 hours and 20 minutes with the same breakdown that I saw on 
Saturday (25 minute warmup, 15 minute install, formal practice).  Also the 
first 90 minutes of practice is very teaching intensive before they start
11 on 11's.  So that's why you won't see many "juicy tweets" early in practice

playing two hand touch

- An actual fight today between Cameron Clark and Tanzel Smart where they
squared off and stupidly threw blows with helmets on

- The defense unveiled their blitz packages which stifled the offense and allowed
them to win the day.  Let's see if the offense can recover when I go back on
Wednesday

Scheme Notes

- All fans are going to have to "unlearn" what to expect from the Jet defense.
From 2006-2020 they were a 3-4 blitz heavy, press man defense that relied on 
their CB's.  Now they are a 4-3, matchup zone defense that relies on their DLine

- Only DLinemen that can penetrate and get up field will make the team

- The back 7 must be:
  * Detailed oriented
  * Know how deep to drop in coverage
  * Know who to pass their man off to
  * Able to keep their eyes on the QB while watching their area
  * Good tacklers 

Player Notes

- With all the above said, excellent job done by the defense today.  Causing the
QB's to hold the ball (which would've been "sacks"), forcing the QB's to scramble
out of the pocket and knocking away multiple passes

- Some 11 on 11 defensive highlights:
  * Foley Fatukasi with a TFL on a draw play
  * Lamarcus Joyner with a TFL on a screen pass
  * Carl Lawson with a TFL on a running play
  * John Franklin-Myers with a "sack" 
  * Justin Hardee (special teams ace) displaying CB skills with multiple knock aways

- Impressive performances by Hamsah Nasirildeen and Jamie Sherwood.  Very sound in
handling their assignments, did not make mistakes and did an excellent job in timing
their blitzes.  Nasirildeen is running with the #1's at WLB while he and Sherwood
replaced CJ Mosley and Jarrad Davis in a coverage package.  My final point I'll keep
vague because they don't want specific scheme stuff leaked, but Nasirildeen showed
advanced knowledge in handling some blitz responsibilites he was given

- Excellent performances by Bryce Hall and Bless Austin at CB.  Hall had a couple
of passes defensed one in particular was from Zach Wilson to Keelan Cole.  Hall was
in a trail position and was able to knock away an accurate 15 yard slant.  While
Austin was able to make a leaping INT of Wilson in a red zone period  

- Elijah Moore displayed fantastic footwork as he shook a CB (didn't catch their number)
to the ground in the red zone for an easy TD from Mike White

- A Kenny Yeboah sighting as he caught a couple of passes in 11 on 11's and a TD
during a red zone period

QB Notes

- A tough sledding day for Zach Wilson with no "sexy plays".  As the defense clamped
down completions were hard to come by.  But I will give him credit for not forcing things,
taking checkdowns and even throwing balls away when no one was open.  He didn't compound
a tough day by turning the ball over and making the practice a cluster"bleep".  Even 
his INT that I mentioned before by Austin wasn't awful, he was throwing it high for his
WR but Austin just went and got it.  Let's see him recover on Wednesday

Standouts

- Bryce Hall
- Bless Austin
- Hamsah Nasirildeen
- Overall coordination of the defense

Concerns

- Let's see the entire offense bounce back on Wednesday 

Excellent as always!! Thanks!!!

23 minutes ago, KRL said:

General Notes

playing two hand touch

- The defense unveiled their blitz packages which stifled the offense and allowed
Wednesday

Scheme Notes

their CB's.  Now they are a 4-3, matchup zone defense that relies on their DLine

- The back 7 must be:
  * Detailed oriented
  * Good tacklers 

Player Notes

- With all the above said, excellent job done by the defense today.  Causing the
QB's to hold the ball (which would've been "sacks"), forcing the QB's to scramble

* Justin Hardee (special teams ace) displaying CB skills with multiple knock aways

- Impressive performances by Hamsah Nasirildeen and Jamie Sherwood.  Very sound in
handling their assignments, did not make mistakes and did an excellent job in timing
their blitzes.  Nasirildeen is running with the #1's at WLB while he and Sherwood
replaced CJ Mosley and Jarrad Davis in a coverage package.  My final point I'll keep
vague because they don't want specific scheme stuff leaked, but Nasirildeen showed

- Excellent performances by Bryce Hall and Bless Austin at CB.  Hall had a couple
of passes defensed one in particular was from Zach Wilson to Keelan Cole.  Hall was
in a trail position and was able to knock away an accurate 15 yard slant.  While

- Elijah Moore displayed fantastic footwork as he shook a CB (didn't catch their number)

- A Kenny Yeboah sighting as he caught a couple of passes in 11 on 11's and a TD
during a red zone period

QB Notes

- A tough sledding day for Zach Wilson with no "sexy plays".  As the defense clamped
down completions were hard to come by.  But I will give him credit for not forcing things,
taking checkdowns and even throwing balls away when no one was open.  He didn't compound
a tough day by turning the ball over and making the practice a cluster"bleep".  Even 
his INT that I mentioned before by Austin wasn't awful, he was throwing it high for his

Standouts

- Bryce Hall
- Bless Austin
- Hamsah Nasirildeen

Concerns

Great write up as always. I described the day as solid for Zach and got roasted as a homer but that seems mostly correct since he didn't go all rookie and have a Darnold like day.

Sherwood and the "warrior" Nasirildeen just seem like awesome value picks that can contribute from Day 1.

Moore sounds almost too good to be true.

Good to see a Yeboah sighting.

How does Morgan look? From the tweets it seems like he is playing pretty well

29 minutes ago, KRL said:

This is the fifth
playing two hand touch

Think coach Saleh has pretty vocal in saying the team will not tackle in camp.  I believe Carol coaches that was, not sure about the 9'rs

Thanks again, great write up as usual

10 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

I'm not exactly thrilled about Austin picking off Wilson. Austin is known as a hitter, not a ball hawk. I know @KRL said it wasn't  a bad throw by Wilson but that still seems concerning. Hopefully Zack corrects this before preseason games start

They were on the 5 yard line.  It gets packed in the back of the end zone.  Austin is a good athlete that made a nice play.   Nothing to worry about Wilson there.

• Upvote 4

Appreciate the progress report on Nasir & Sherwood. I agree that this defensive scheme places emphasis on the back 7 doing their job in their designated area, and I was skeptical the rookies would be trusted & thrusted onto the field to start the season. 

Those 2, udfa CB Dunn, and sophomore CB Hall are the ones I’m curious to see if the CS plays them early/starts them 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, KRL said:

General Notes

playing two hand touch

Wednesday

Scheme Notes

- The back 7 must be:
  * Detailed oriented
  * Good tacklers 

Player Notes

during a red zone period

QB Notes

Standouts

- Bryce Hall
- Bless Austin
- Hamsah Nasirildeen

Concerns

Great job. Thanks. Much more useful information for me than a bunch of tweets stating "Wilson completed short pass to Crowder."  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, KRL said:

playing two hand touch

Great write up as always.

On the pads, they come on tomorrow. Saleh said today that he was mistaken about the schedule in his Saturday presser. Seems like a league-wide thing, as following other camp reports from around the league it seems like everyone else’s first day in pads is tomorrow as well.

• Upvote 1

- ** RED FLAG ** They were in jerseys & shorts once again.  This is the fifth
playing two hand touch

There are league limits on how many days in a row (and days overall I believe) they can be in pads.

I trust Saleh to make these decisions within NFL rules.

If we end up a soft team, we can be critical then.  

Not now.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, KRL said:

QB Notes

taking checkdowns and even throwing balls away when no one was open.
 He didn't compound

@JiFaponothis is what I mean

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Where is blake Cashman?  With him healthy I thought he would have one of the lb positions nailed down.  Is he not a fit for this D?

They're worried if they play him, he'll get hurt. Forget about him. It's a shame. He's got some good skills.

• WTF? 1

1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

I'm not exactly thrilled about Austin picking off Wilson. Austin is known as a hitter, not a ball hawk. I know @KRL said it wasn't  a bad throw by Wilson but that still seems concerning. Hopefully Zack corrects this before preseason games start

Defensive players make plays, even the one you dont think are good.  You dont have to be a ball hawk to get an INT

Theres nothing concerning about a camp pick, they happed all the time to every QB and will happen again

If the pass wasnt bad and it was a play by the D, how is any QB going to correct it?  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Where is blake Cashman?  With him healthy I thought he would have one of the lb positions nailed down.  Is he not a fit for this D?

He's actually healthy, but with some of the blitz packages they're using the WLB needs

to have safety experience to really be effective

• Upvote 1

- Impressive performances by Hamsah Nasirildeen and Jamien Sherwood.  Very sound in
replaced CJ Mosley and Jarrad Davis in a coverage package. 

ive been excited and curious about these guys. Can’t wait to see them play!

14 hours ago, KRL said:

- The defense unveiled their blitz packages which stifled the offense and allowed them to win the day.  Let's see if the offense can recover when I go back on Wednesday

Player Notes

- With all the above said, excellent job done by the defense today.  Causing the QB's to hold the ball (which would've been "sacks"), forcing the QB's to scramble out of the pocket and knocking away multiple passes

QB Notes

- A tough sledding day for Zach Wilson with no "sexy plays".  As the defense clamped down completions were hard to come by.  But I will give him credit for not forcing things, taking checkdowns and even throwing balls away when no one was open.  He didn't compound a tough day by turning the ball over and making the practice a cluster"bleep".  Even 
his INT that I mentioned before by Austin wasn't awful, he was throwing it high for his WR but Austin just went and got it.  Let's see him recover on Wednesday

So is it time for all of us to come back down to earth re rookie QB vs the blitz?  From the little I've seen to date Zack looks like the real deal but I must admit I was getting ahead of myself, blithely discounting all the usual rookie QB stumbling blocks.  Go Jets!  

2 hours ago, LIJetsFan said:

So is it time for all of us to come back down to earth re rookie QB vs the blitz?  From the little I've seen to date Zack looks like the real deal but I must admit I was getting ahead of myself, blithely discounting all the usual rookie QB stumbling blocks.  Go Jets!  

It was his first day seeing the blitz so I wouldn't read too much into that either.  It was nice to see he didn't try and force much and was smart with the ball.

With that said, anyone not expecting serious rookie QB hiccups and mistakes is setting themselves up for serious disappointment.  He's going to look very bad at times, he's going to make awful mistakes but I also believe he's the real deal and we'll see plenty of flashes to know he has something special. 

But he's still a rookie, on a team that had the worst offense in the NFL for the past two seasons, that's learning a new system with 4 rookies likely to start and a total of 7 new starters.  That would be tough for any QB let alone a rookie.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1