How Long Should Wilson Play in the First Preseason Game

The first preseason game, he'll probably play the first half.   Second preseason game, probably first three quarters.  Third preseason game probably first quarter only.

And I cant imagine that he'll ever be playing behind anyone other than first string offensive line.  

• Upvote 1

Two items to consider. First, how many snaps is best for Zack and other young players. Second, who the other team puts on the field. Because of the overwhelming consideration about health, when the opposition fields their scrubs, Zack picks up the clipboard.

An example is Green Bay. This is an older team trying to fill the last holes for a SB run. If they prioritize fielding the young, we sit our guy.

My expectation is that because of the close ties between our staff and both GB and Philly, we’ll reach a compromise agreement before we take the field. We need reps for so many young starters and they need game tape of the bottom of the roster.

• Sympathy 2

5 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

I'm hoping he plays a full half. I really don't  see the point in giving Morgan and White extended playing time

So youre playing week one of the preseason as if it were week 3 of the old 4 game preseason schedule?  

Im guessing he plays a little over a Q.  A half in week 2 and I have no clue how they'll handle week 3.  I'd guess that will be an agreement between the Jets and the Eagles

1 hour ago, Irish Jet said:

LOL. Some people here are gonna be seriously disappointed.

Can’t see him playing a full half.

Changes this year are not only 3 preseason games but also now there is a 2 week gap between the last preseason game and the start of the regular season as well, in fact the Jets have a 16 day gap as our only preseason home game is on a Friday.  

So resting the starters in preseason game 3 shouldn’t happen, this should be the game they get the most playing time, so I expect Zach to get the full half and maybe the first series of the third quarter.   

SAR I

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

So youre playing week one of the preseason as if it were week 3 of the old 4 game preseason schedule?  

Im guessing he plays a little over a Q.  A half in week 2 and I have no clue how they'll handle week 3.  I'd guess that will be an agreement between the Jets and the Eagles

Why? Why would you give two guys (one who will be cut) more playing time than our rookie QB. I would expect all the rookies to play longer. 

46 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Ugh, not more than Wilson

If we have to play Morgan or White, we are picking in the top 3 again

You want his arm to fall off?  

Hes not taking every snap.  

If we have to play Morgan or White you want them having some practice time.  

22 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

I'm hoping he plays a full half. I really don't  see the point in giving Morgan and White extended playing time

I think all of the NFL is trying to decide this question as we speak, under the new 3-game meta.

I would presume something like this:

PS Game #1 - 1 Quarter

PS Game #2 - 1 Half

PS Game #3 - 1 Half to 3 Quarters

Week 1 - Whole Game

I've heard from some folks that they think Week 3 in PS is the new Week 4, and everyone will sit.  I'm not buying it.  They need this time to get players ready just as much as they need it to sort out who the #8 WR and #6 LB are.

The "everyone sits, play the deepest depth players" game is gone, I truly hope the teams (us included) use the 3 games we do have wisely, and get as much out of it for the starting units as they can/need to.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

If his arm is going to fall off from playing 2 qrts. Then how is he going to start the season?

Man, are you really going to continue arguing that the backup QBs dont need to play in the preseason games?  Because I'm not continuing this mindless position you've taken.  Theyre players on the team, need to play just in case and because Morgan needs to grow into the backup position.  I'm not getting the argument or your point.  

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Man, are you really going to continue arguing that the backup QBs dont need to play in the preseason games?  Because I'm not continuing this mindless position you've taken.  Theyre players on the team, need to play just in case and because Morgan needs to grow into the backup position.  I'm not getting the argument or your point.  

Morgan and White will play a qrt each the first game which is plenty considering they won't  play extended time unless Wilson gets hurt. Wilson needs the reps more to get ready for the season. He is going to have one more qrt on the schedule I posted over what you did and the backup will get one less. 

Nobody except you has taken this position that we will over work Wilson or under prepare the second team guys

1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

Morgan and White will play a qrt each the first game which is plenty considering they won't  play extended time unless Wilson gets hurt. Wilson needs the reps more to get ready for the season. He is going to have one more qrt on the schedule I posted over what you did and the backup will get one less. 

Nobody except you has taken this position that we will over work Wilson or under prepare the second team guys

Nobody but me?  We'll see if the CS agrees with you and gives Wilson a full half, I'll be surprised.  Hey who knows, I could be wrong here but I doubt it.  

I'll bet I'm not only one who thinks its kinda important to get Morgan some playing time.  Dont remember Burrow or Herbert force fed, Murray, etc.  

What did Darnold play in his first preseason game, a couple of series?  Then a Q in game 2, little more in 3 and that was it?  Thats the usual deal.  I dont see the Giants playing their starters for a half, I'm more than likely not playing our starters a full half.  I dont want Wilson in there with second string defenders trying to take out a QB and making a name for himself

The answer is:

As long as the opposing starters are in.

We don't want him playing against scrubs who are desperate to make a play and will be chopping knees and hitting helmets like rabid wolverines in order to get noticed (see Mark Sanchez).

But as long as the opposing starters are in, Zach should be taking snaps.

This is the way.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Nobody but me?  We'll see if the CS agrees with you and gives Wilson a full half, I'll be surprised.  Hey who knows, I could be wrong here but I doubt it.  

I'll bet I'm not only one who thinks its kinda important to get Morgan some playing time.  Dont remember Burrow or Herbert force fed, Murray, etc.  

What did Darnold play in his first preseason game, a couple of series?  Then a Q in game 2, little more in 3 and that was it?  Thats the usual deal.  I dont see the Giants playing their starters for a half, I'm more than likely not playing our starters a full half.  I dont want Wilson in there with second string defenders trying to take out a QB and making a name for himself

I am talking about on this forum. Why do you take every comment and blow it out of proportion.  

Also, every other QB you mentioned played a 4 game preseason. It has no bearing at all on this season. Some don't  agree but I think the starters don't  play game 3