Morgan Moses bringing valuable, veteran experience to Jets offensive line

Morgan Moses bringing valuable, veteran experience to Jets offensive line

New York Jets training camp, August 2, 2021

By Joey Chandler | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

Morgan Moses didn’t expect to become Jet.

He spent the past seven years becoming a leader of the offensive line for the Washington Football Team, starting at right tackle from 2015-20. Washington’s decision to release him, he said, came out of the blue, and now he’s bringing 97 career starts worth of experience to the Jets offensive line.

“It is exciting and rejuvenating to be out there and see the guys flying around and be a part of something that is going to be great.” Moses said after Monday’s training camp practice at the Jets facility. “Change is always good. I had a great time at Washington. I feel like everything has ran its course, but at the end of the day, I am here now and I feel welcome here.”

The Jets signed Moses in July after he was released by Washington in late May, in a move to help strengthen an offensive line tasked with protecting rookie quarterback Zach Wilson. So far, head coach Robert Saleh said, Moses is already making an impact both on and off of the field. He’ll be competing against last year’s starting right tackle, George Fant, for the starting position. Fant is expected to return this week from the team’s Reserve/COVID-19 list.

“The game still is won in the trenches, and to be able to add somebody like him, and however it works out in regard to that right tackle competition, that offensive line room is much better because of his presence,” Saleh said. “It is going to be exciting to see how those two progress when George gets back here, I think he is back tomorrow, to see how it works out.”

Jets defensive lineman John Franklin-Myers said he soaks up everything Moses says like a sponge. Going head-to-head against the experienced veteran, he said, is making him a better player.

In the middle of team sessions during Monday’s practice, Moses was giving Franklin-Myers feedback. If Moses knew what he was going to do every play, he said, then neither of them were going to get any better.

“I was like, Oh. I didn’t even know I was doing that. Let me fix that. … For him to do that, I think it speaks volumes to his character,” Franklin-Myers said.

When Moses was new to the league, he said he had plenty of help from veterans along the way, and now he’s paying it forward.

“I just try to come in everyday and be the same person, that is the biggest thing,” Moses said. “If they have a question about football, or whatever the case is, I don’t mind helping. Like I said, I’ve been in the league going on eight years and so I’ve seen a lot of things and went up against a lot of great players.”

There were other teams that showed interest in Moses, but he said felt a familiarity with the Jets. The focus Jets general manager Joe Douglas and Saleh put on the offensive and defensive line was important to him. Winning up front is a mindset he resonated with. And their philosophy is something he’s excited to take part in, no matter his role.

“For me, right off when I came here, competition is everything for me. Nothing is given. Everything I have worked for in the league I have earned, and that is how I want it to be,” Moses said. “I feel like if things are given to you, you take it lightly, and at the end of the day, I am here to get myself better and try to make this offensive line better. And whether that is in a starting role or not, I am going to be the same guy who showed up everyday to give his us best effort and put his best foot forward.”

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1