Training Camp Updates - Tues Aug 3

Lith

6 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

I was about to comment on what seemed like a really bad day for the offense, then this happened.

Then this happens, and you realize what’s really important. Let’s hope this kid is going to be okay.  ??

Don't even know if it's the whole O, but the OL sounds like it's gettting owned.  Both Becton and Moses.  

O can't do much if the DE's are running free at the QB's .

Yeah, just pray this isn't serious for Clark.

• Upvote 3

20 minutes ago, Lith said:

After each fo the first few practices, I wanted to mention that we have had no injuries, but was afraid to jinx it.  I guess I don't have to worry about a jinx anymore.  Although Edoga needs to stay healthy to have any chance of making this roster.

Same here. Was gonna post that it was some of the best news out of camp so far (thru yesterday), but thought better of it.

2 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Don't even know if it's the whole O, but the OL sounds like it's gettting owned.  Both Becton and Moses.  

O can't do much if the DE's are running free at the QB's 

Yeah, I’m reading these tweets the past few days and seeing way too many “would’ve been a sack”…

We just got done with 3 years of watching a kid fall apart behind a porous OL. I’m hoping the Jets know what they’re doing here going with Zach from the jump.

I would’ve preferred to have signed a vet to start the first few games and let things settle in a bit. The past week hasn’t done anything but make me more concerned.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Guilhermezmc said:

When do we start to worry about becton being worked by lawson everyday

Lawson was top in QB hits and top 5 in pressures last season. That’s elite win rate at the line of scrimmage. Becton will not play many people better than Lawson.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Lawson was top in QB hits and top 5 in pressures last season. That’s elite win rate at the line of scrimmage. Becton will not play many people better than Lawson.

I'm just not sure "top 5 in pressures" should be absolutely dominating a guy who's supposed to be a franchise LT.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Ok, early worries that will surely garner plenty of thumbs downs.

1) I don't think Wilson is ready to be the day 1 starter.  Wish we had a veteran, even for 6-8 games.

2) Becton getting abused is not great.  This goes beyond "Well it's a good sign from Lawson."  Lawson may be the best pass rusher we've had since Abraham, but the guy isn't Lawrence Taylor.  Concerning.

Not sure we have enough info on 1) but I’m 100% with you on 2).

8 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

1) I don't think Wilson is ready to be the day 1 starter.  Wish we had a veteran, even for 6-8 games.

2) Becton getting abused is not great.  This goes beyond "Well it's a good sign from Lawson."  Lawson may be the best pass rusher we've had since Abraham, but the guy isn't Lawrence Taylor.  Concerning.

No thumb down from me.

A few moments earlier I posted the same things… almost word for word.

6 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

I'm beginning to agree with this. Seems like he's struggling a bit now that the live bullets are flying. I don't really understand going into the year with zero NFL starts on the roster.

6 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

I think he demonstrated enough last year that I'm not overly worried about this yet. The only pass rusher who really gave him fits last year was Myles Garrett who might be the best edger rusher in the league. He held his own against just about everyone else.

• Upvote 1

Jets Practice Recap - 8/3/21

03 AUGUST 2021

The Jets were on the field for another training camp practice on Tuesday with media on hand.

Today's practice was marred by what appeared to be a serious injury to backup offensive lineman Cameron Clark, who was placed on a spinal board and taken away in an ambulance.

Here's what else went down during practice, based on media reports and tweets from those in attendance:

• George Fant, who had been on Covid-19 reserve, was activated for practice for the first time;
  • The players were in pads for the first time and this meant we saw 1-on-1 drills for the first time too;
  • Some highlights from WR/CB 1-on-1's were a good battle between Bryce Hall and Corey Davis with Davis generally getting the better of the youngster, Elijah Moore burning Blessuan Austin deep and Deuce Carter intercepting Mike White;
  • Jabari Zuniga and Foley Fatukasi did well in the linemen 1-on-1 drills;
  • Ace Carter and Tevin Coleman had good runs to open the team period;
  • Carl Lawson got by Mekhi Becton for another sack on the first pass of the period;
  • Zach Wilson connected with Vyncint Smith for a long gain but the pass was underthrown;
  • Bryce Huff beat Kenny Yeboah to blow up a run in the backfield;
  • DJ Montgomery caught a James Morgan pass for a long touchdown on a busted coverage;
  • Wilson connected with Braxton Berrios and Jamison Crowder in 11-on-11's;
  • A diving Javelin Guidry broke up a White pass;
  • Chuma Edoga limped to the locker room after being looked at by a trainer;
  • Chris Naggar was perfect in the kicking gauntlet but Matt Ammendola went 3-for-4 as he missed from 57 yards;
  • Lawson had another sack in the next team period;
  • Crowder picked up big yardage after getting away from Deuce Carter following a short pass;
  • The defense seemed to be doing a good job of getting pressure on Wilson and preventing anyone from getting open;
  • Huff beat Morgan Moses for a sack;
  • Smith beat Austin deep but Austin recovered to break it up when Wilson underthrew it;
  • Zuniga also limped off the field with a trainer late on; and
  • Practice ended early after the Clark injury.

There is another practice tomorrow at 10:20 a.m. ET with fans in attendance. Check back here for more coverage.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

17 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

Yeah, I’m reading these tweets the past few days and seeing way too many “would’ve been a sack”…

We just got done with 3 years of watching a kid fall apart behind a porous OL. I’m hoping the Jets know what they’re doing here going with Zach from the jump.

I would’ve preferred to have signed a vet to start the first few games and let things settle in a bit. The past week hasn’t done anything but make me more concerned.

To be fair this is first time we had an edge rusher in forever. Guy get beat slot now but will get coached up and made better.

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I'm beginning to agree with this. Seems like he's struggling a bit now that the live bullets are flying. I don't really understand going into the year with zero NFL starts on the roster.

I think he demonstrated enough last year that I'm not overly worried about this yet. The only pass rusher who really gave him fits last year was Myles Garrett who might be the best edger rusher in the league. He held his own against just about everyone else.

Ferrell abused him pretty thoroughly as well, if memory serves.