What are the worst/best jobs you ever had?

Worst

1. Bakery- The job consisted of rolling dough for 8 hours at $3.35 an hour. 

2. Sam's warehouse- cut throat environment with high turnover and poor salary. 

3. Supervising drivers at salary (60-70 hours a week). 

Best

1. US Army - 20 years.  Great people, memories and well traveled. 

2. Athletic director for the U.S. Army (civil service)- providing quality of life for soldiers and families. 

• Upvote 1
  • Bronx changed the title to What are the worst/best jobs you ever had?

Worst job, by far, was working for a retailer after bankruptcy.  As people start leaving, those left behind are stretched to do more and more.  Not enough hours in the day as more work is getting spread across fewer people.  Idea of work-life balance goes out the window in that environment.

Best job would probably be the first 10 years at the same retailer.  Great team, great people, accomplished a lot.  Was a great job until the downward sprial began.

• Upvote 1

Worst: Alle Processing in Maspeth. Wouldn't wish a week's shift on my worst enemy. Twelve hour days, 5 bucks an hour, and then they'd do everything to deduct what they could for "infractions".

Best: Monaghan Mushrooms. Worked in the off-site packaging department (supplying the other sites with trays and boxes, etc), which meant I didn't see a mushroom for six months, Was a monthly salary, but my boss let me keep track of the extra hours I'd do and take days off for long weekends, etc. Also, no objections to me listening to my music at all - big bonus (Especially when everyone else has gone home at 6, and you're staying to load a truck that doesn't come in until 10.30)

• Upvote 1

Worst... worked for a small CPA firm during a recession in the 90's.  Travel, low pay etc.

Best: I have it now. Independent, fee only fiduciary CFP.   Self employed but I love what I do and the pay don't suck.

Honorary Mention: Worked about 7 years from  age13 to 20 in an old style Italian Pork Store. Learned how to prep all kinds of Italian food, old country shlt. Loved it. 

• Upvote 2
On 8/3/2021 at 12:36 PM, Lith said:

Worst job, by far, was working for a retailer after bankruptcy.  As people start leaving, those left behind are stretched to do more and more.  Not enough hours in the day as more work is getting spread across fewer people.  Idea of work-life balance goes out the window in that environment.

Best job would probably be the first 10 years at the same retailer.  Great team, great people, accomplished a lot.  Was a great job until the downward sprial began.

my friend has said the exact same thing regarding JCP.  was great.  then just miserable.

• Upvote 1

Best, probably now as a chiropractor.   It's fun, I love it, it's my office.  I hire people I like, play music I like, help people out.

2nd best and worst are probably the same job.   Bartender.

Super fun, high energy, have a couple free drinks, it's great to do for a few years.

Also, terrible hours, getting home at 3AM every Friday, being the only sober person in the room, watching drunk guys try to hit on drunk girls, while the girls are trying to act all high end, and you know they are just a mess.

• Upvote 1

Worst: summer after junior year high school a temp agency (lol) placed me in some sort of aerospace company on Long Island. I would get these ceramic parts. I would hand sand them, then put some black resin in the imperfections and hand sand them again. 
5 minutes seemed like 5 hours. I think I lasted 1 week maybe 2. 

Best. Small boutique search firm. I had an office with a view in Stamford, and nearly unlimited client and candidate options because there were only 3 recruiters there.  Cappuccino in the afternoon, Long lunches. If we had a good week the owner would take us all out to dinner  

it’s funny because I left 20 years ago and after reading this thread I looked them up. Still in Stamford, up to 14 recruiters. 

I made the first company placement in GE’s corporate tax department and now that’s their specialty. 

I think I need to give them a call lol

On 8/7/2021 at 12:04 PM, chirorob said:

Best, probably now as a chiropractor.   It's fun, I love it, it's my office.  I hire people I like, play music I like, help people out.

2nd best and worst are probably the same job.   Bartender.

Super fun, high energy, have a couple free drinks, it's great to do for a few years.

Also, terrible hours, getting home at 3AM every Friday, being the only sober person in the room, watching drunk guys try to hit on drunk girls, while the girls are trying to act all high end, and you know they are just a mess.

Best same

worst : Pushed wheel barrels for a paving company summers during undergrad. 

• Upvote 1

Worst: landscaping the cemetery my sister is buried in, by myself, seeing ghosts like Sam Darnold.

Best: throwing pizza 14 hours a day to pay for college, great group of guys, all new good and bad habits, but brought me out of my shell.

I stuck to jobs, more interesting than career positions. 😁

• Haha 1

Worst: Active duty Air Force stationed in Korea.  Leadership at the top levels was trash and made our lives miserable for the sake of making our lives miserable.

Best: Active duty Air Force stationed in Korea.  Job sucked, but I made some of the best friends I've ever had in my life.  Never did so much drinking and partying before or since.  We were supposed to do a reunion in Vegas that got scrubbed because of Covid but hoping to do it this year.

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, AFJF said:

Worst: Active duty Air Force stationed in Korea.  Leadership at the top levels was trash and made our lives miserable for the sake of making our lives miserable.

Best: Active duty Air Force stationed in Korea.  Job sucked, but I made some of the best friends I've ever had in my life.  Never did so much drinking and partying before or since.  We were supposed to do a reunion in Vegas that got scrubbed because of Covid but hoping to do it this year.

I recall low-crawling for having a loose bootstring in the 82nd AIRBORNE, Fort Bragg.  It helped build character;  honestly, a lot of the other units in the Army had much lower standards, crappy leadership and boneheaded soldiers. 

• Upvote 1
5 hours ago, Biggs said:

Worst job was working in a boat yard painting boat bottoms.  Best job was delivering Newsday on my bicycle when I was 13.  

I fukking HATED my newsday route.   I had about 50 papers I think.  About 5 customers never paid but I had to pay Newsday.   Was in a rough neighborhood about a mile from my house.  Worst year of my life.   

• Like 1
1 hour ago, southparkcpa said:

I fukking HATED my newsday route.   I had about 50 papers I think.  About 5 customers never paid but I had to pay Newsday.   Was in a rough neighborhood about a mile from my house.  Worst year of my life.   

I delivered the Daily News.  A ton of deadbeats who were never home (multiple times/days) when I collected.  Hated the job and those pricks who knew they were scamming a kid.  And tell me you did not despise putting the Sunday paper together.   Aaaaaahhhh...

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, munchmemory said:

I delivered the Daily News.  A ton of deadbeats who were never home (multiple times/days) when I collected.  Hated the job and those pricks who knew they were scamming a kid.  And tell me you did not despise putting the Sunday paper together.   Aaaaaahhhh...

My absolute best friend here, born in Italy, from the Bronx, I told him my story. You’d love this guy. makes his own dry sausage etc.  Over a few wines he made up a fictitious Sopranos type visit where he and I show up at the house , bats in hand.  When they answer the door I say, Hey fukk head, remember me.  LMAO!!!!  Now it’s time to pay, with interest!!!

• Haha 1

Worst:  I quit after one day, was a retail job, they just threw me to the wolves on day one and I knew nothing about the store etc.  I hated it right away. 

I had another very tough one a summer job at a book binding factory and it was dangerous dirty work, 12 hour days due to a rush job.  However the people were not bad so there was that.

Best:  I worked for Alberta fish and Wildlife as a Fisheries and wildlife technician.  Perfect combo of outdoors and indoor and lab work.  Lots of neat things like survey high mountain lakes via helicopter, counting game via helicopter, test netting lakes, electrofishing etc.

working as an analyst at goldman sachs was kind of a sh*t job.   first couple of years had to be at work at 6 30am which i hated.  later years i worked so many hours was just miserable.  and none of this crap they have now where the kids don't work saturdays - and the pay was nothing like what these kids get now $165k out of college, dang.   it did get better as i got older and they pay got good but happy i left.

• Upvote 2

Worst: General surgery resident. 5am - 7pm (on a good day) every day. On call for 27 hours every third day. 100 hour weeks, all year long. You never worked hard enough. Nothing you did was every good enough. One of my co-interns was an army ranger, and one night on call together looks over at me and goes, "this is the worst experience of my life..... and I've been to Afghanistan..."  looks down and sighs "twice..."

Best: Cardiothoracic surgical resident. Hours still suck, work 12 days on and 2 off ~14-17 hour days. But I genuinely love what I do. Actually get to help people. And there's a ton of free, albeit fairly sh*tty, coffee always hanging around. 

• Upvote 4
23 hours ago, BroadwayJoe12 said:

Worst: General surgery resident. 5am - 7pm (on a good day) every day. On call for 27 hours every third day. 100 hour weeks, all year long. You never worked hard enough. Nothing you did was every good enough. One of my co-interns was an army ranger, and one night on call together looks over at me and goes, "this is the worst experience of my life..... and I've been to Afghanistan..."  looks down and sighs "twice..."

Best: Cardiothoracic surgical resident. Hours still suck, work 12 days on and 2 off ~14-17 hour days. But I genuinely love what I do. Actually get to help people. And there's a ton of free, albeit fairly sh*tty, coffee always hanging around. 

Bang any hot nurses???😂.  Sorry, half price wine tonite.  😂

• Haha 3
34 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Bang any hot nurses???😂.  Sorry, half price wine tonite.  😂

Almost exclusively. Pretty sure my girlfriend would be rather upset if I didn't say yes to that question as well (she's a nurse). All joking aside, it's almost impossible to find anyone outside of the hospital who understand our hours / schedules. 

10 hours ago, BroadwayJoe12 said:

Almost exclusively. Pretty sure my girlfriend would be rather upset if I didn't say yes to that question as well (she's a nurse). All joking aside, it's almost impossible to find anyone outside of the hospital who understand our hours / schedules. 

Back in the Stone Age when I was dating, rarely missed a Wednesday night at my favorite bar.  It was "nurses night" when they'd all hang out after their shift.  Let's just say those women were primed to party.

And please tell your girlfriend that she and her cohorts are appreciated.  As a doctor, you know they do all the work. 

• Upvote 2
1 minute ago, munchmemory said:

Back in the Stone Age when I was dating, rarely missed a Wednesday night at my favorite bar.  It was "nurses night" when they'd all hang out after their shift.  Let's just say those women were primed to party.

And please tell your girlfriend that she and her cohorts are appreciated.  As a doctor, you know they do all the work. 

@BroadwayJoe12      In a  room of nurses how can you tell the head nurse????

Dirty Knees. :)

• Haha 2
12 hours ago, munchmemory said:

Bedside nursing is probably the most difficult job in the hospital. It's why every nurse in the hospital is either 40+ and bitter af or bubbly, early 20s and works at night. There's almost zero in between. 

As for the first comment, 100% spot on. These girls deal with every bodily fluid and some of the most obnoxious personalities in the world, be it patients, their families or the docs etc. there's nothing that they can't handle. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1
On 8/17/2021 at 9:59 PM, BroadwayJoe12 said:

Isn’t half the reason to go into medicine to bang the nurses?

a surgeon probably high on the catch list 

1 hour ago, batman10023 said:

Isn’t half the reason to go into medicine to bang the nurses?

a surgeon probably high on the catch list 

That, and getting to wear pajamas to work everyday make up the lion’s share of it for sure. 

• Haha 2

Honestly, the first time I saw this thread I thought I read the word "blow" in the appropriate place in the thread title.  Seriously.

• Haha 1

Best:

Assistant Manager of a laser tag joint when I was in high school. If I could make my current salary or anywhere close to it and do that job forever, I would. Got to hang out with my friends and play laser tag all day while getting paid the princely sum of like $6/hour. Since management consisted only of me and the General Manager, we never worked together and I was "the boss" whenever I was there. Met a ton of colorful and interesting characters, some I'm still friends with. 

Worst:

Left a job I loved where I was on the fast track to take a General Counsel position with a private company. I was miserable. No disrespect to those I worked with, but it was just a terrible fit for me and for them. But I learned a lot about myself. #1: money and title aren't everything; and #2: there are some situations that are beyond my capacity to just "man up" and make work. When a former boss called me two years later and offered me a job in Singapore, I accepted over the phone. First time I ever stepped foot in Asia was when I got off the plane to live there.

• Upvote 1