Camp observations Wed. 8/4

28 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Just got home from another day in beautiful Florham Park.  

Looks like there was a concerted effort to get the ball downfield some more.  During walkthrough they were working in tight formations and a new bunch formation.   Cole, Moore and Davis seem to be the default “starting” 3 WRs right now, but you have a 4 man rotation of Davis, Cole, Moore and Crowder all getting a ton of reps with the “1’s”.  V. Smith has been getting next most looks with the starting unit.  He was in quite a bit with those other WRs.  

AVT was not participating at all today.   

The RBs were working on wheel routes and Carter was impressive again.   He’s going to tough for LBers to keep up with.  

They worked a bit on specials with Cole, Moore, Berrios and Carter at PR.   Interesting to see Mims working as a gunner on specials, first I have seen of this.  Not sure it’s a great sign for him however.  More on him later.  

DBs were working how to take on bunch formation, some good looks with them switching off men. 

Then another walkthrough session for the offense.  More of the same from earlier.   Mims had to be told twice to line up in the right spot, the second time LaFleur looked pissed.   This could be what is holding Mims back.  

1 on 1’s at the goal line were entertaining.   Moore is going to be a decent red zone option, he’s just so hard to run with in short spaces.  Davis made a nice grab, I have a video of it, but it was pretty close to me so it’s not great. Lol..  

11 on 11 next.  Offense looked the best I’ve seen thus far.  The line was run blocking well and Zach had some clean pockets.   Interesting to see that the line looked better without AVT in there.   Zach looked pretty good, hitting guys on time and he pushed the ball down field some.  Moore, Davis, Cole, Crowder all involved.   V. Smith getting some burn with the 1’s as well.  White receive the vast majority of the second team reps, he looks like the clear 2 right now, we’ll see what they do with Johnson.   T. Coleman is really decisive, obviously a great fit for this running game. 

Red zone next but it was 7 on 7, looked like they wanted to get the TEs involved down there.  

Overall a good day for the offense.  One miscommunication between him and Moore, it was probably on Moore since Zach thought he sit down in the zone and Moore kept running across, it probably would have resulted in Moore getting his head torn off if though as the safety was waiting for him.  

That’s all I can think of right now, if you have questions fire away.  

DA3BA7E4-111D-4EF1-B3DC-3122F008E0B5.MOV 8.88 MB · 2 downloads 44BC98EC-CAAE-4F1F-96B5-371AE2CACF54.MOV 6.36 MB · 2 downloads

My computer is telling me I need to pay $0.99 to watch these videos?  I didn't realize you started an OnlyFans....

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

My computer is telling me I need to pay $0.99 to watch these video?  I didn't realize you started an OnlyFans....

I got the same message, but then tried viewing them with a different media viewer (in my case, open source VLC viewer) and it worked fine.

• Upvote 1

I have been a big supporter of Mims, constantly saying he will be fine, he will have a role in this offense, but I have to admit that the writing is on the wall.  Apperas he has an uphill battle ahead of him to play the role that I expected in the offense. 

Still hoping he will have a chance to shine before camp is over, but its not looking overly encouraging for him right now.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Lith said:

I have been a big supporter of Mims, constantly saying he will be fine, he will have a role in this offense, but I have to admit that the writing is on the wall.  Apperas he has an uphill battle ahead of him to play the role that I expected in the offense. 

Still hoping he will have a chance to shine before camp is over, but its not looking overly encouraging for him right now.

He just seems so blah out there.   No energy and the mental mistakes are killers for him.  I’m sure he isn’t thrilled with his role right now, but he doesn’t seem to have any fight in him right now. 

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

He just seems so blah out there.   No energy and the mental mistakes are killers for him.  I’m sure he isn’t thrilled with his role right now, but he doesn’t seem to have any fight in him right now. 

Disappointing to hear.  If he is not happy with his role, then he needs to fight through it, approach practice with a chip on his shoulder to prove the CS is wrong; but it sounds like he is pouting rather than fighting.

Good news is that we finally have a strong enough depth chart that even if he does bust, we are not counting on the likes of David Nelson and Clyde Gates to step up.

• Upvote 4

Just now, Lith said:

Disappointing to hear.  If he is not happy with his role, then he needs to fight through it, approach practice with a chip on his shoulder to prove the CS is wrong; but it sounds like he is pouting rather than fighting.

Good news is that we finally have a strong enough depth chart that even if he does bust, we are not counting on the likes of David Nelson and Clyde Gates to step up.

Agreed.  Seeing V. Smith getting more reps than him right now needs to be motivation for him.  For the first time in a long time there is a decent versatile group of WRs.   

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Does Mims get any separation? Every time I see him there is a CB right on his hip.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, Claymation said:

Does Mims get any separation? Every time I see him there is a CB right on his hip.

His only catch today in 11 on 11 was a drag route which he had some separation but didn’t get much YAC.   In 1 on 1 in red zone they had him running mostly fades which are generally contested catches.   

He did have one rep in 11 on 11 today where he beat his man on a post, but Zach didn’t see him and checked it down to Cole I believe.  

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, sec101row23 said:

Moore is going to be a handful for defenses this year.  I’m not one to get too carried away with rookies, but this kid has come in and picked up the offense and is making plays everyday in camp.  

They were also working on a formation with Moore and Carter both lining up in the backfield and Moore motions up in the slot.  They run Carter on a wheel and Moore a short in.   They also have Cole running a deep post to occupy the safety.  Didn’t see them run it in 11 on 11 but I’m sure we’ll see this in Pre season games. 

a little mesh?! this sounds like something very similar that I do! haha

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

a little mesh?! this sounds like something very similar that I do! haha

Yup.  Tough to defend when executed properly.  You must like seeing Moore getting off to such a good start.  You were his first vocal supporter way back when..Lol.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Lith said:

shhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!

dude you cant give any negative opinions of Mims here.

Thanks for understanding

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

There were a ton of red flags with Mims last year that people just refused to see.

Some of us have been saying all year that he still has a ton to prove and I was confused why people seemed to think he was a shoo in for #2.

He seems to really struggle to win on the outside, even watch his highlights from last year and you’ll see defenders hanging all over him when he’s running down the sideline. He hasn’t shown that dominance to be a guy you throw to when covered - a lot of the plays he made last year were pretty low percentage throws, literally, as he more often than not didn’t make them. 

It’s not like he’s in danger of missing the roster but Vyncint Smith is a guy most people aren’t expecting to make it and he seems to be showing him up. It’s long past the point of “nothing to see here” that the usual suspects keep coming out with. He’s clearly not favoured right now and there are reasons for it.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2
  • Post of the Week 1

Corey Davis took a few years to get it together as a WR-they are not easy players to draft.

The offensive coaching was not doing JD any favors last year, but it would appear that Mims was not a great pick, but E. Moore could be.  

Do we want to check in on the 2020 Draft Class again?

Becton-getting toasted by Lawson.

Mims-3rd team.

Ashtyn-is he playing?

Zuniga-hurt again.

Morgan-see Josh Johnson.

Perine-looks ok

Clark-was he making the roster?  Does he want to play football again?

Hall-competitive, but competition.

Its a good thing that the 2021 class looks much better now. 

• Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

There were a ton of red flags with Mims last year that people just refused to see.

Some of us have been saying all year that he still has a ton to prove and I was confused why people seemed to think he was a shoo in for #2.

He seems to really struggle to win on the outside, even watch his highlights from last year and you’ll see defenders hanging all over him when he’s running down the sideline. He hasn’t shown that dominance to be a guy you throw to when covered - a lot of the plays he made last year were pretty low percentage throws, literally, as he more often than not didn’t make them. 

It’s not like he’s in danger of missing the roster but Vyncint Smith is a guy most people aren’t expecting to make it and he seems to be showing him up. It’s long past the point of “nothing to see here” that the usual suspects keep coming out with. He’s clearly not favoured right now and there are reasons for it.

Agreed.  His roster spot is safe, but his status in the pecking order isn’t high, thus him being used as a gunner.   What will be interesting to see is how many WRs will make the 53.  V. Smith looks like a lock right now, as does Berrios.   

He kinda had that vibe after they drafted him. Even in the call from Douglas when the Jets selected him he was pretty unenthused. I remember one of the scout blurbs from McGin predraft said he didn’t have much fight in him. 

• Upvote 1

That's incredibly disappointing but maybe it means he is thinking a lot? Hopefully he just needs some time. 

3 minutes ago, Drums said:

That's incredibly disappointing but maybe it means he is thinking a lot? Hopefully he just needs some time. 

Perhaps.  His confidence looks shot right now.   Still a lot of time left before the season starts.  Hopefully they find a few plays for him to get back his mojo. 

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, SamtheMan14 said:

It’s Salehs fault. He has him buried in the depth chart from day 1. Not being fair to Mims IMO. 

It is possible that Mims looked like a much better fit in the "Gase Offense" (whatever that is) as opposed to the WCO?

55 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Perhaps.  His confidence looks shot right now.   Still a lot of time left before the season starts.  Hopefully they find a few plays for him to get back his mojo. 

How can his confidence be shot already? Hes a second year kid in his prime. Not a good thing