KRL Camp Notes (8/4/21)

KRL

I think for the first week or so the padded vs not padded practices are actually pre-determined by the NFL this year.

The thing that really impressed me on the 30 yarder to Moore is that he was the 2nd or 3rd read and yet Wilson got off the left read and threw to Moore in less than 3 seconds. It was really an elite QB level play.

It's funny how if Wilson throws a pick in 7vs7 the world is ending. Throw 7 TDS in 7 on 7 its just 7 on 7

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, GuitarJet said:

Great update…..Question for you….Does camp feel different from 2 years ago, in terms of structure, intensity, quality of reps?? Just curious ?

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Seems clear KRL thinks the no pads things means we're a soft team running soft practices, lol. 

Seems it's his biggest gripe in all his Camp reports to-date.

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Legend Killa7 said:

very nice, as always - thank you.  I am not even trying to be funny here but did Lawson play today?  I didn't see anything in any of the media tweets earlier and now nothing here either.  I'm not worried, just asking.  Maybe Saleh told him to take it easy today?  LOL

Yes he had a would be sack so he has 1-3 sacks every single practice 

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Seems clear KRL thinks the no pads things means we're a soft team running soft practices, lol. 

Seems it's his biggest gripe in all his Camp reports to-date.

He might not like the pad situation but someone already pointed out its a cba thing not a saleh thing

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, KRL said:

Bless Austin showed improved coverage skills as he had a breakup against Elijah Moore
    and a leaping INT against Denzel Mims.  Is he finally going to take that step and be a
    complete CB?

Great job KRL as always. 

My Rutgers connections told me when the NY Jets drafted Bless Austin that he was a freak of an athlete if he could stay healthy. 

Glad to hear the local kid is doing good. 

Any word on the Kickers and who looks better so far. 

• Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, KRL said:

Answer to some questions:

- Yes the camp seems different, there's a bigger emphasis on teaching at
the beginning of practice

- Lawson was there but the offense had a good day and silenced him

- There's no Joe Judge yelling & screaming but there's been a noticeable
lack of penalties and a crispness in play.  So discipline can be considered
good

- Mims is working his way up.  He had a "big boy" catch for a TD by pulling the
ball away from Pinnock during a red zone period

Maybe the mass Becton panic can go away now?  I'd rather see him blocking a fast, versatile pass rusher every day in practice than the edge rushers the Jets have been rolling out the past 15 years or so (since Abraham was traded).  This kind of competition only makes players better as opposed to some faux QB controversy that only 1)makes beat writers like Cimini happy and 2) takes reps away from young and developing players that need time on the field rather than watching and "learning " as Grandpa takes snaps while "mentoring" them.  

1 hour ago, KRL said:

Mims is working his way up.  He had a "big boy" catch for a TD by pulling the
ball away from Pinnock during a red zone period

I hope so, I’m a fan. Pulling the ball from a late round rookie, though, doesn’t exactly scream success. I’m still thinking that at a bare minimum he’ll have a 3rd down/red zone role, but was really hoping/expecting a lot more. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, 92ShaunEllis92 said:

Excellent write up on the small things that fans appreciate but the beat writers fail to observe & mention:

throwing WRs open & no hesitation is much more informative than “Wilson had a better day”

Thank you for saying WHY he had a better day and HOW he’s showing gradual improvement from one practice to the next. 

Thats why KRL gets the big bucks!

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, BCJet said:

KRL - Great job as always.  Quick question:  Any Ashytn Davis sightings?  I feel like I havent heard his name mentioned in a single tweet.

He and Vinny Curry are out until week 2 of the regular season.  He's working on a side field

6 hours ago, KRL said:

General Notes

- Practice ran 2 hours and 20 minutes

- They were in jerseys & shorts again, so in one week they've been in pads one time (rant over)

- Josh Johnson was signed as the veteran QB he's wearing #9.  He took no live reps

- Alijah Vera-Tucker didn't practice, he was replaced at LG by Dan Feeney and Alex Lewis

- In dead periods of practice Morgan Moses and George Fant would pull Mekhi Becton to the side
to talk about "kick slides" and hand placement

- Nice bounce back performance by the offense which allowed them to win the day.  Strong running
game and an impressive performance by Zach Wilson 

Player Notes

- There were 1 on 1's today between the WR & CB, here are some highlights:

* Bless Austin showed improved coverage skills as he had a breakup against Elijah Moore
    and a leaping INT against Denzel Mims.  Is he finally going to take that step and be a
    complete CB?
  * Impressive positional coverage displayed by Michael Carter (CB).  He was able to mirror
    the receiver and get multiple knockaways in his reps
  * As usual excellent footwork displayed by Elijah Moore shaking Marcus Maye among others
    in his reps to get open
  * Corey Davis displayed strong hands reaching around Bryce Hall and snatching a TD in one
    of his reps

- Very effective run game displayed by the offense in the first period of 11 on 11's.  Some
highlights:

* Tevin Coleman for a 15+ yard run to the right
  * Ty Johnson for a 20+ yard run to the right
  * Michael Carter for a 10+ yard run to the left
  * LaMical Perine with a 20+ yard up the middle, where he actually delivered a "blow" when
    the defenders tried to wrap him up
  * Austin Walter with a 10+ yard to the right

QB Notes

- I don't know if Mike White and James Morgan can actually play (pre-season will give us an
indication) but I'll give them credit for being efficient in their reps.  There are no
fumbled snaps, very few penalties and not that many INT's.  They seem to have a clue

- Strong bounce back performance by Zach Wilson in all phases.  Whether he was in the pocket
or on the move he was accurate, displayed excellent arm strength and "threw receivers open"
before they came out of their routes.  Some of his highlights were:

* A 20+ yarder to Keelan Cole before he finished his route
  * A 15+ yarder to Jamison Crowder off of a misdirection in the pocket
  * A 15+ yarder to Elijah Moore (with velocity) while falling away
  * A 30+ yarder down the sideline to Elijah Moore 
  * On Monday Wilson held the ball and hesitated during the red zone 7 on 7 period.  Today
    there was no hesitation and he dominated the period with multiple TD's.  He seemed to
    learn where the holes are in the secondary and he attacked

Standouts

- Zach Wilson
- Bless Austin
- Michael Carter (CB)
- Michael Carter (RB)
- Elijah Moore
- The running game      

Concerns

- Let's see the defense recover tomorrow

Michael Carters  had a good day. Haha Awesome 

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, SamtheMan14 said:

How’s the discipline so far? Does Saleh run a tight ship?

I really like how Joe Judge runs a camp. Reminds me of my high school days. 

I honestly don't understand why BS like this is fine.  When some new account isn't even attempting to hide the fact that they're just trolling and saying nonsense. Someone that got banned or some poster that went into a dramatic self imposed exile comes back to be an a$$clown lol.

This is a fantastic site and from browsing boards of other teams lately I can say that its (by far) more active than any of the other team forums I've looked at. You've built a really great community here, why allow trolls to hang around that are only trying to f*ck with it? And I'm not talking about legitimate posters with personalities that rub people the wrong way. I'm talking about people like this ⬆️ with the childish, need to get a life, trolling BS. 

I don't get it  ??‍♂️

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 2

6 hours ago, MichaelScott said:

I honestly don't understand why BS like this is fine.   When some new account isn't even attempting to hide the fact that they're just trolling and saying nonsense. Someone that got banned or some poster that went into a dramatic self imposed exile comes back to be an a$$clown lol.

I don't get it  ??‍♂️

image-2020-02-08-18-40-53.thumb.gif.e828

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, LionelRichie said:

I’ve been burned by this team for 4 decades but something about this coach, staff, gm, and qb just feels different.   

Completely agree.  There is something about this camp, this collection of leaders (GM, HC) that feels incredibly competent, professional, current/progressive.  

I love how open the coaches are during press conferences.  The insights are real.  

From a fan perspective I am loving what's going on.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, LionelRichie said:

I’ve been burned by this team for 4 decades but something about this coach, staff, gm, and qb just feels different.   

I’m with you. Finally purchased Sunday Ticket (I live in FL) because the team feels exciting to watch

• Upvote 1