Who is winning the TE battle?

Other than the 7 on 7 red zone period today they haven’t been involved in the passing game all that much.  They’ve been effective in blocking, Kroft seems like he’ll be out there a lot.   It’s still early in the camp process however, I dont believe I’ve seen any 2 TE sets yet.   

• Sympathy 1

9 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Nothing like going against the grain of the rest of the NFL I guess. 

That seems like a bit of a stretch.  I’d say about 1/3 of the league heavily utilizes the TE about 1/3 “regular” usage and 1/3 with pretty low TE usage.

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

That seems like a bit of a stretch.  I’d say about 1/3 of the league heavily utilizes the TE about 1/3 “regular” usage and 1/3 with pretty low TE usage.

Considering Zach was throwing to lots of TEs in the redzone, I will expect this never happens in the regular season. Because jets.

• Haha 1

All coaches are obsessed with a player's "potential". Unless and until the coach has actually experienced THAT player screwing the coach over by failing to make the most of his opportunities, the coach will put THAT player at or near the top of the depth chart and make every attempt to tap THAT player's potential.

The Jets new coaches have yet to be screwed by Herndon, so they will make every effort to put him at the top of the depth chart because they believe (rightly or wrongly) that Herndon's previous failures arise from the previous coaching staff's shortcomings i.e. they did not know how to properly use and/or motivate Herndon.  

So, if Herndon has a pedestrian (or better) pre-season with no huge gaffes, Herndon will be the starting TE. This is the way these things work. It's the way these things have always worked, and the way they will always work.

• Sympathy 1

5 hours ago, Warfish said:

Nothing like going against the grain of the rest of the NFL I guess. 

Frankly, that's a terrific way to win games, since it means that what teams do to prepare for the rest of the league won't carry over to you. It's why the wildcat had the success it did for a while.

More seriously, gotta adjust to your talent. This team has some really really good WRs, and depth there, and mediocrity (at best) at TE. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

https://jetsxfactor.com/2021/08/04/tyler-kroft-ny-jets-best-te-film/

By  Joe Blewett  08/04/2021

Tyler Kroft: The New York Jets’ new TE1?

The New York Jets entered the offseason with a big need at tight end. Objectively speaking, it’s still very much a need, but perhaps not as dire as conventional wisdom would have you believe.

The security that comes with undrafted free agent Kenny Yeboah and veteran free-agent signing Tyler Kroft (one year and $2 million) is more than enough to think the Jets are in a much better spot at the position than this time a year ago. And interestingly, Kroft probably shouldn’t be viewed as just “security.”

Kroft, who began his NFL career as a third-round pick of the Cincinnati Bengals, has consistently battled injuries throughout his career. Kroft tallied just 21 catches and a single touchdown over his first two years in the league. But he enjoyed a breakout in his third season, 2017 when he started 16 games and caught 42 balls for 404 yards and seven touchdowns.

Unfortunately for Kroft, he couldn’t follow that season up as he battled more injuries in the 2018 season—appearing in just five games, starting two and snagging just four receptions.

The Bengals opted to let him go, to which he then signed with the Buffalo Bills. Yet again, the man battled injuries. He missed five games in 2019 and six in 2020. In Kroft’s last season with the Bills, he finished with 12 receptions for 119 yards and three scores.

While none of these numbers are overly impressive, and I hate basing things on numbers alone (obviously have plenty of film to dive into with you), what Kroft looks like on paper is anything but is actual on-field talent represents.

The new Jets tight end is an OK (at best) receiving option. But that’s not what he was signed for, and nor is it his bread and butter.

Kroft was signed to be a blocker – whether that happens at Y, H-back or fullback – who can occasionally stretch the seam with size or leak out for an easy reception. 

Tight end blocking is of the utmost importance in the Shanahan system and any outside zone-heavy attach. The running back’s initial track takes him outside of the offensive tackle’s hip—or even wider on some incidences/play calls and the system likes to incorporate TEs in general—and this is critical when threatening east-west to find room.

Emphasizing tight end blocking will be a feature in the Mike LaFleur system. In many scenarios, Kroft will nearly represent a sixth offensive lineman who is expected to get dirty in the run game. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

19 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

All coaches are obsessed with a player's "potential". Unless and until the coach has actually experienced THAT player screwing the coach over by failing to make the most of his opportunities, the coach will put THAT player at or near the top of the depth chart and make every attempt to tap THAT player's potential.

The Jets new coaches have yet to be screwed by Herndon, so they will make every effort to put him at the top of the depth chart because they believe (rightly or wrongly) that Herndon's previous failures arise from the previous coaching staff's shortcomings i.e. they did not know how to properly use and/or motivate Herndon.  

So, if Herndon has a pedestrian (or better) pre-season with no huge gaffes, Herndon will be the starting TE. This is the way these things work. It's the way these things have always worked, and the way they will always work.

I kind of feel like it's the opposite. Current regime (GM and coach) didn't pick Herndon and have no allegiance to him at all. He's in the last year of his deal -- if they don't think he's any good they'll make zero effort to get him to the top of the depth chart.

26 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I kind of feel like it's the opposite. Current regime (GM and coach) didn't pick Herndon and have no allegiance to him at all. He's in the last year of his deal -- if they don't think he's any good they'll make zero effort to get him to the top of the depth chart.

I'm unsure as to why they would think he not any good other than if he has a sh*tty camp, which I acknowledged is the only way he doesn't win the job. All he has to do is have at least a pedestrian camp. That, combined with the talent he displayed his rookie season will win the job.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, LIJetsFan said:

https://jetsxfactor.com/2021/08/04/tyler-kroft-ny-jets-best-te-film/

By  Joe Blewett  08/04/2021

Tyler Kroft: The New York Jets’ new TE1?

The New York Jets entered the offseason with a big need at tight end. Objectively speaking, it’s still very much a need, but perhaps not as dire as conventional wisdom would have you believe.

The security that comes with undrafted free agent Kenny Yeboah and veteran free-agent signing Tyler Kroft (one year and $2 million) is more than enough to think the Jets are in a much better spot at the position than this time a year ago. And interestingly, Kroft probably shouldn’t be viewed as just “security.”

Kroft, who began his NFL career as a third-round pick of the Cincinnati Bengals, has consistently battled injuries throughout his career. Kroft tallied just 21 catches and a single touchdown over his first two years in the league. But he enjoyed a breakout in his third season, 2017 when he started 16 games and caught 42 balls for 404 yards and seven touchdowns.

Unfortunately for Kroft, he couldn’t follow that season up as he battled more injuries in the 2018 season—appearing in just five games, starting two and snagging just four receptions.

The Bengals opted to let him go, to which he then signed with the Buffalo Bills. Yet again, the man battled injuries. He missed five games in 2019 and six in 2020. In Kroft’s last season with the Bills, he finished with 12 receptions for 119 yards and three scores.

While none of these numbers are overly impressive, and I hate basing things on numbers alone (obviously have plenty of film to dive into with you), what Kroft looks like on paper is anything but is actual on-field talent represents.

The new Jets tight end is an OK (at best) receiving option. But that’s not what he was signed for, and nor is it his bread and butter.

Kroft was signed to be a blocker – whether that happens at Y, H-back or fullback – who can occasionally stretch the seam with size or leak out for an easy reception. 

Tight end blocking is of the utmost importance in the Shanahan system and any outside zone-heavy attach. The running back’s initial track takes him outside of the offensive tackle’s hip—or even wider on some incidences/play calls and the system likes to incorporate TEs in general—and this is critical when threatening east-west to find room.

Emphasizing tight end blocking will be a feature in the Mike LaFleur system. In many scenarios, Kroft will nearly represent a sixth offensive lineman who is expected to get dirty in the run game. 

Joe Blewitt is like watching a kid that plays a lot of Call of Duty break down and analyze film of the Battle of Fallujah...

• Haha 4

23 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Joe Blewitt is like watching a kid that plays a lot of Call of Duty break down and analyze film of the Battle of Fallujah...

I don’t know if this statement is accurate, but I can always appreciate a clever analogy…

• Haha 2

I think the winner of the TE competition are the 2 TEs we select in next years draft.

Maybe our weakest group Kroft seems to be the main guy but Herndon is showing progress. Could totally see the Jets change the TE position through waivers after cut downs. 

Hoepful Yeboah develops, he has solid potential.

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

I'm unsure as to why they would think he not any good other than if he has a sh*tty camp, which I acknowledged is the only way he doesn't win the job. All he has to do is have at least a pedestrian camp. That, combined with the talent he displayed his rookie season will win the job.

I was a huge Herndon advocate for years but he's really let me down. I'm not totally sure what the disconnect is but he just doesn't seem to be able to put it all together mentally and on the field.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I was a huge Herndon advocate for years but he's really let me down. I'm not totally sure what the disconnect is but he just doesn't seem to be able to put it all together mentally and on the field.

That is exactly it. You put your faith in him AND he let YOU down. You are done with him and I totally get it. The point is that the current coaching staff has not yet been let down by Herndon. They will give him the benefit of the doubt that you are no longer willing to extend.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

That is exactly it. You put your faith in him AND he let YOU down. You are done with him and I totally get it. The point is that the current coaching staff has not yet been let down by Herndon. They will give him the benefit of the doubt that you are no longer willing to extend.

Right but they didn't see the flashes that made me have faith in him either.

It's a clean 2021 slate and as far as I can tell he's shown nothing so far this training camp. Have you heard a single piece of good news from the guy?

29 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Herndon is the only one with potential to “break out”

The other 2 are just JAG TEs

I expect us to draft one next year but that could change if Herndon plays the way he did his rookie year 

Agree. Kroft and Griffin are like the same guy. I feel like they are battling each other for a spot. Herndon was blessed (cursed?) with potential and has flashed in the past. Yeboah is a bit of a project and if he can't win a roster spot by contributing on special teams, he'll surely be on the practice squad. Wesco's chances are tied entirely to whether he will be used at FB too. Has he played any FB in camp? Daniel Brown was a contributor on special teams. Will he be returning from his injury? 

29 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Right but they didn't see the flashes that made me have faith in him either.

It's a clean 2021 slate and as far as I can tell he's shown nothing so far this training camp. Have you heard a single piece of good news from the guy?

The new coaches scouted every player on the jets roster before camp even started.  They are aware of Herndon's flashes and disappointments. As coaches are prone to do, they likely believe, unlike past coaches, they can tap into Herndon's talents. It sounds to me like Saleh has every inclination to give Herndon the job.

“Initially, obviously, for him just be consistent and try to find ways to get better every day,” Saleh said. “It really is. I’m not going to put any expectations with regards to result. But for him, he’s had moments where he’s looked very good in his career. He’s had moments where he’s kind of disappeared and he’s had injuries. But at the same time, let him get into a rhythm. Let’s get some consistency going and just play with the effort, the technique and the violence that we look for. If he can do that day in and day out, we think Herndon can have a pretty darn good year.”

https://nypost.com/2021/08/02/chris-herndon-fighting-to-be-jets-starting-tight-end/

On Monday he caught 2 TDs on 7 on 7 and he had at least 1 TD today. I've heard nothing to indicate that he is not accomplishing what he needs to accomplish to win the job.

13 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

The new coaches scouted every player on the jets roster before camp even started.  They are aware of Herndon's flashes and disappointments. As coaches are prone to do, they likely believe, unlike past coaches, they can tap into Herndon's talents. IT sounds to me like Saleh has every inclination to give Herndon the job.

On Monday he caught 2 TDs on 7 on 7 and he had at least 1 TD today. I've heard nothing to indicate that he is not accomplishing what he needs to accomplish to win the job.

You could be right. I just keep hearing about Kroft more than Herndon. I suspect the writing is on the wall, hope I'm wrong.