Who is winning the TE battle?

I'm not sure who's running away with it but I'm definitely pulling for Chris Herndon and still believe in his overall talent and athleticism.

I'm hoping with all of this offensive talent now surrounding him along with a new atmosphere/culture under Saleh/LaFleur that he'll be able to emerge and breakout as he once did as a 2018 Rookie (39 receptions for 502 receiving yards and 4 TD receptions throughout only 12 starts).

I haven't quit on this kid yet. I believe both of Adam Gase and Loggains destroyed him last year and I'm 100% giving him a clean slate with a fresh start (under coach Saleh and LaFleur).

17 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Right but they didn't see the flashes that made me have faith in him either.

It's a clean 2021 slate and as far as I can tell he's shown nothing so far this training camp. Have you heard a single piece of good news from the guy?

Pretty sure they've seen enough in camp to realize that Herndon is easily the best pass catching option of the group.  I dont know how many two TE sets were going to see but it seems that Kroft as that 6th OL position and Herndon as the receiving TE can be a formidable unit if Kroft can stay healthy.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

On 8/4/2021 at 3:19 PM, RoadFan said:

@KRL @sec101row23

I am reading lots of reports, thanks btw; about QBs, receivers, running backs, etc.

But what is going on at the TE spot?  It is a very big part of the Shanahan family offense even going back to Shannon Sharpe…

Herndon will be traded before the season begins.  Wesco will be more of a FB than TE, but will also be able to H Back that jammy jam. 

Kroft, Griffin, Yeboah if 3 are kept. 

If Moses does win the RT battle with Fant, Fant will also be utilized for a max protect or road grader sweep left at times so that lightens the TE load as well. 

Can you imagine what it would look like when Fant, Becton and AVT are over there with Wesco lead blocking for MC or Perine?  Who's getting in the way of that?  ??

• Upvote 1

On 8/7/2021 at 11:15 AM, GREENBEAN said:

Herndon will be traded before the season begins.  

Where are you getting these reports from? 

Trading him away (now) would be an awful idea because his stock is at an All-Time low, so what would be the point? 

And plus not only did Chris Herndon begin to emerge during his final 3 games last year with 17 targets, 14 receptions (82.3% catch rate), 142 receiving yards and 2 TD Receptions (despite awful QB play) but he's also been our best TE throughout TC thus far and has caught TDs from all 3 of Zach/Morgan/White etc. 

I think it would be a disaster to trade him before giving him a 2021 chance without Gase here to mentally destroy because he was absolutely ? fire? during his Rookie campaign.

On 8/8/2021 at 7:07 PM, Defense Wins Championships said:

Where are you getting these reports from? 

Trading him away (now) would be an awful idea because his stock is at an All-Time low, so what would be the point? 

And plus not only did Chris Herndon begin to emerge during his final 3 games last year with 17 targets, 14 receptions (82.3% catch rate), 142 receiving yards and 2 TD Receptions (despite awful QB play) but he's also been our best TE throughout TC thus far and has caught TDs from all 3 of Zach/Morgan/White etc. 

I think it would be a disaster to trade him before giving him a 2021 chance without Gase here to mentally destroy because he was absolutely ? fire? during his Rookie campaign.

Oh it's not a report DWC. It's just a thought and "prediction" from lil ol me. 

Just my thoughts. I do have my reasons such as JD seeing how undependable Herndon has been over the past 2 seasons and not wanting to push someone else off of the roster for a guy who hasn't been able to contribute since a 39 catch, injury shortened rookie season in 2018. 

I'm thinking they are trying to showcase Herndon so someone gives something up for him.  Hoping he won't do what he does and blow it.  Guys like Yeboah can actually develop and won't clear wavers imo.  

Hey, i Herndon is kept and he contributes I'll be rooting for him to be the best TE in the NFL. But I struggle to see that possibility. 

• Sympathy 1