Should Saleh be disciplining the players more in camp?

31 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

here’s Saleh’s response to that question, he doesn’t believe in that method of “discipline” 

I watched this video last night. The question included a reference to Joe Judge and Saleh diplomatically said there are different ways to approach it, but that these players are grown men who aren’t trying to make mistakes, and it’s the coaches jobs to help them not to make them. So more teaching, less (or no) punishment. 

I know some non-trolls prefer the hard nosed coach (our good friend @T0mShane, for instance), but I prefer the players be treated and respected like adults. We’ll see how it plays out in the field, but so far in camp it’s the Jets who seem like the most disciplined team practicing in NJ. 

• Upvote 4

30 minutes ago, slats said:

I watched this video last night. The question included a reference to Joe Judge and Saleh diplomatically said there are different ways to approach it, but that these players are grown men who aren’t trying to make mistakes, and it’s the coaches jobs to help them not to make them. So more teaching, less (or no) punishment. 

I know some non-trolls prefer the hard nosed coach (our good friend @T0mShane, for instance), but I prefer the players be treated and respected like adults. We’ll see how it plays out in the field, but so far in camp it’s the Jets who seem like the most disciplined team practicing in NJ. 

Taking a hard line is important.  We must @Cut Jet Penalty Makers

1 hour ago, Rhg1084 said:

here’s Saleh’s response to that question, he doesn’t believe in that method of “discipline” 

The more I hear from and about Saleh, the more I like him.  Good man, good coach.  This all reflects well on Joe Douglas as well.

More *CAUTIOUS* Jet fan optimism from me.  It looks like the Jets are now actually being run by skilled people that have a clear vision.  

I'm not suggesting that I expect a post season appearance this year or even a record above 8 wins, but it is refreshing to imagine a team that is not an absolute laughing stock. 

Being competent is sexy enough for the moment.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, ElBarrioJets said:

Cool. But you've also never played professional football so your opinion is pretty irrelevant here. 

High school football BS always fails in the NFL. These guys are grown men and don't tolerate that bullsh*t. 

Yes, but maybe he played Low-A.  Have you ever been in a lockerroom? 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, slats said:

Agree fully.  Some fans liked Rex and some not, but Rex also had a similar approach to Saleh's.  Keep things likable & learnable, Rex always said.  Accountability was always an individual matter.  Rex also never threw players under the buss in front of the media.  It went a long way with his players and promoted loyalty.

People will work for a man/woman because it is their job and there are consequences if they don't perform, but they will go to hell and back for a leader they love and respect. 

That holds true in business and on the field. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, SamtheMan14 said:

Shouldn’t they still be doing sprints and push-ups for technical mistakes? I’m just reading about Joe Judge cracking the whip and wondering why Saleh doesn’t seem to do that. Parcells used to run a brutal camp. 

Really? If you followed the Jets and were not so concerned with trolling BS you would know how well Saleh and his staff have these guys inspired. The Jets just lost one of their coaches and from what I can see Saleh his CS staff and the players are doing a great job of moving forward in a positive manner . Good signs so far.

Contribute to the board or GTFO, never understood this trolling other teams non sense. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, SamtheMan14 said:

Joe Judge reminds me of my high school football coach in the 70s. That’s how football training camps  are supposed to be run.

You got to break them down and build them back up. Joe Judge will have the most disciplined team in the league this year. 

You're forgetting one thing; you aren't dealing with people from the 70s. Young people today are very different (for better or worse). Tough love is still required at times, but bs hard ass acts aren't as effective as people make them out to be. Degrading guys publicly won't work. The key is that clear expectations which are set day one combined with logical and fair consequences from day one that are enforced among all. Also, people don't learn anything when they're dead ass tired; in fact they generally make more mistakes.

1 hour ago, slats said:

You can be hard nosed without being a hard ass. I don't think players will walk all over Saleh as they have others who took an approach seen as more player oriented. I think the players respect Saleh, and at some point if a player tried testing him you'd see a strong, but calm, and measured response. I don't think you'll see Saleh lowering the bar to appease players and stay in their favor.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Lurker89 said:

And all from this thread ROFL...

Just like someone can "win the day" with the most popular post we should award the most down voted post of the day "Loser of the day."

Mods work your magic?

If you look at his page his reputation is "buttfumble."  But I suspect that was his intention all along.

3 hours ago, SamtheMan14 said:

Joe Judge reminds me of my high school football coach in the 70s.

That’s how football training camps  are supposed to be run.

I know this is hard for certain age demographics to hear this, but I think the answer is poignant: It isn't the 1970's anymore.

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1

16 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

I know this is hard for certain age demographics to hear this, but I think the answer is poignant: It isn't the 1970's anymore.

Well it seems to be the 1970s at the Giants complex. I think that type of coaching could give them a competitive advantage. It will be interesting to see if Joe Judge’s approach makes his team more mentally tough. 

• Thumb Down 3
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, SamtheMan14 said:

Well it seems to be the 1970s at the Giants complex. I think that type of coaching could give them a competitive advantage. It will be interesting to see if Joe Judge’s approach makes his team more mentally tough. 

All he needs to do now is trade the Panthers for Sam Darnold. You would cream yourself, you phony troll.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, SamtheMan14 said:

I guess if your team wasn't full of weak minded losers they wouldn't need to be treated like lazy teenagers.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

20 minutes ago, SamtheMan14 said:

Yeah, kinda like when Pvt. Pyle was eating a donut while the rest of his unit was doing push-ups to pay for his ****ups. Seemed like that worked out well for everybody. Morale was certainly great. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Bruh, these are grown men... you teach and treat them with respect not necessarily discipline like Judge was doing, it sets a bad precedent and lack of trust. Maybe some discipline on an individual level for sure but not the way he approached it. Props to Douglas and Saleh for getting high character dudes so this doesn’t become a problem for the Jets.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

Times have changed. What worked for players of yesteryear likely won't work for players today. Saleh is the type of leader who inspires players to WANT to listen to him. The days of suicide sprints, laps, and push-ups until puking are over. I don't have to like that times have changed, but I do have to accept it. 

Salem’s approach also melds with the way the roster is being constructed with high character guys,team captains,etc…

These guys know when they screwed up and are harder on themselves than suicide sprints or whatever would be.

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, SamtheMan14 said:

Joe Judge reminds me of my high school football coach in the 70s. That’s how football training camps  are supposed to be run.

You got to break them down and build them back up. Joe Judge will have the most disciplined team in the league this year. 

ronald mcdonald yes GIF by McDonald's CZ/SK

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, SamtheMan14 said:

Shouldn’t they still be doing sprints and push-ups for technical mistakes? I’m just reading about Joe Judge cracking the whip and wondering why Saleh doesn’t seem to do that. Parcells used to run a brutal camp. 

As brutal as your posts?

• Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, SamtheMan14 said:

How'd that work out last year?  The division sucked ass and the Giants couldn't find their way into the playoffs.  I'm guessing with Wash being better last year, theyre still better and the Cowboys with DAK will walk their way to a title.  Sorry, its all for show but really more for shlts and giggles

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, SamtheMan14 said:

Joe Judge, leading the Giants into the 1970's.  Theres a catch phrase if ever there was one.  
Making of a great tee shirt

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, SamtheMan14 said:

While we're revering the 70's maybe we should use the same helmets, playbooks and everything else from that time period?

No reason that all of this shouldn't work here 50 years later, right?

College Football GIF by Turner Classic Movies

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, SamtheMan14 said:

Yup.....Notice that for every one thinking it is 1970, there are 10 not doing things like it is 1970.