Jump to content

Training camp 8/5 - The pads are back on!


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not practice realted, but this just came across the timeline.  More hype on Moore - from Connor Hughes column in the Athletic

Any mention of Belichick being a scumbag?

Posted Images

35 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Yeah, seems like there was a deliberate effort for Perine to be more of a power/short yardage guy.

Can he play FB?

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

I dont understand why Cashman isnt a starter.  When healthy, he is one of our best 3 linebackers.

You answered your own question. 😉

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

A good consistent pass rush coming from BOTH the outside and inside makes all DBs better by at least a full grade.

Lousy Dbs become mediocre

Mediocre become pretty decent

Good become pro bowlers

Pro bowlers become hof candidates

The new young dbs will have an advantage over previous jets teams where the cbs were left out to dry far too many times.

  • Upvote 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Lith said:

 

I haven’t been on the bash DJ train and honestly he doesn’t bother me all that much, but I’ve read the final tweet in that string a dozen times and I still don’t know if it was a completion or not.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Lith said:

 

Mims slated to cover all aspects of pre, and post, craft services stations.  Coach Saleh has not yet determined if Mims will be one of several hot and cold dish servers for the post-game meal as well.  Said he'll make that decision "way before" game time.

  • Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Lith said:

 

I LOVE the way this staff is approaching the CB rotation. Lots of players getting shots with the 1s to see how they can do, to see how they communicate, and to get people acclimated to each other.

That said, Javelin Guidry is looking like the biggest loser of this TC. The rookie crew is impressing, he was a UDFA ... numbers game will probably have him on the outside looking in, even after a relatively successful rookie year

2 hours ago, Lith said:

Pretty sure only 1 of the picks was by Wilson; 1 each by White and Morgan too.  Fumble was a fumbled snap by White.

Loved Huff as a UDFA, loved him as a fit for this defense. None of this is surprising me

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

I LOVE the way this staff is approaching the CB rotation. Lots of players getting shots with the 1s to see how they can do, to see how they communicate, and to get people acclimated to each other.

That said, Javelin Guidry is looking like the biggest loser of this TC. The rookie crew is impressing, he was a UDFA ... numbers game will probably have him on the outside looking in, even after a relatively successful rookie year

Loved Huff as a UDFA, loved him as a fit for this defense. None of this is surprising me

Also love that when asked how he what the ultimate criteria is for choosing starters he said ability to "win on 3rd down". Also said he is not a big fan of platooning corners. They guys that win the jobs will play.

Saleh is pure gold. Absolute 180 degree turn from his predecessor.

  • Upvote 3
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

Agreed.  Watching them in drills and in 11 on 11 and 7 on 7, they can play.  Echols is the first guy on the field for practice, I feel like there are more DB coaches than DBs..Lol.   Plus Ulbrich spends a ton of time with the CBS during position drills. 

Feels to me like they all have the athleticism to play man and the defense is so hyper-focused on communication and switching that individual skill matters a little less than playing into the system.

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

I LOVE the way this staff is approaching the CB rotation. Lots of players getting shots with the 1s to see how they can do, to see how they communicate, and to get people acclimated to each other.

That said, Javelin Guidry is looking like the biggest loser of this TC. The rookie crew is impressing, he was a UDFA ... numbers game will probably have him on the outside looking in, even after a relatively successful rookie year

Loved Huff as a UDFA, loved him as a fit for this defense. None of this is surprising me

Guidry is a slot corner and Saleh said he loves his slot corner group and mentioned Guidry by name

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

It’s not what?  This offense is predicated on being able to run the ball, the passing game is dependent on play action.   With no running game, this passing game will struggle.   This isnt a Bruce Arians 4 wide chuck it downfield offense.  

Missing my point.

Rex offense - ground and pound, round the ball to set up the pass

Arians offense - no riskit not biscuit-throw the ball downfield open up the run

Shanahan offense -balanced between run and pass on early downs to make them equally effective and set up runs on 3rd and short. Obviously deeper than that, the offense also uses the run to put stress on the boundaries not the pass like most offense.

Yes the offense is predicated on running the ball effectively but also on pass efficiency and having lots of sets where run and pass look the same. It is a small point but it is not a run first offense.

Oh I did forget one offense:

Gase offense - run up the middle 80% of the time on 1st down. Run up the middle  80% of the time on 2nd down. Throw on 3rd down 100% of the time, usually 3rd and long. The perfect system to finish last in total offense

 

  • Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Missing my point.

Rex offense - ground and pound, round the ball to set up the pass

Arians offense - no riskit not biscuit-throw the ball downfield open up the run

Shanahan offense -balanced between run and pass on early downs to make them equally effective and set up runs on 3rd and short. Obviously deeper than that, the offense also uses the run to put stress on the boundaries not the pass like most offense.

Yes the offense is predicated on running the ball effectively but also on pass efficiency and having lots of sets where run and pass look the same. It is a small point but it is not a run first offense.

Oh I did forget one offense:

Gase offense - run up the middle 80% of the time on 1st down. Run up the middle  80% of the time on 2nd down. Throw on 3rd down 100% of the time, usually 3rd and long. The perfect system to finish last in total offense

 

Shanahan offense is not balanced it is off shoot of walsh - run first to open the pass...using similar fronts for different packages..so you think its a run but then its actually play action and boom guy are opne cause db bites a run and is rushing to line of scruimmage. Also that run, is giving the runner 3 holes to choose from each time. The play is designed for the rb to pick the best route - so vision is important. 

Also rex offense was accurately described yes - ground and pound - but that was because of the roster- he didnt want to be ground and pound. it was just only way he team could score and win games. Rex was a hell of a coach. Saleh I think can be too, his system helped by Joe D to run it specifically with thier qb that is already familiar and run similar at BYU. 

Anyway yeah.

Arians off is no risk it no biskut? you mean the guys with Tom brady under center? you think it throw downfield to open the run? that is not his system that is just want works best when you have the QB and RB;s he has.

Gase - yes thsi is accurate it did not matter who was on roster his offense is always the same no matter what. It was crap. Im sorry but your descriptions just make my mind blow up. Gase was the only one you accurately described. Saleh, Arians, and Rex all used a system that fit the players strengths to give team best chance to win. Actaully arians switched to it after losing a couple game last year. He actually tried to pull a gase. He pulled his head out of his ass and brady gave him a ring

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jethead said:

Also love that when asked how he what the ultimate criteria is for choosing starters he said ability to "win on 3rd down". Also said he is not a big fan of platooning corners. They guys that win the jobs will play.

Saleh is pure gold. Absolute 180 degree turn from his predecessor.

sign of good coach.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Where is the day to day schedule?

I found the open practice schedule in 17 places but I can’t find the regular day to day schedule 

 

any help?

 

txs

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Drums said:

I feel like all we hear are 10-15-20 yard runs. I thought we were only allowed to run for 1-2 yards past the line of scrimmage.

The gase limits are out..we are even allowed to have WR scheme open and RB go to holes in the gaps..its novel concept really.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

It’s not what?  This offense is predicated on being able to run the ball, the passing game is dependent on play action.   With no running game, this passing game will struggle.   This isnt a Bruce Arians 4 wide chuck it downfield offense.  

absolutely right, i wrote a post responding to that poster about it. I saw article written about Shanahan playbook and how it works, really awesome explanation of how the run works giving the back multiple holes to pick from and how that same play is used with play action to scheme open guys that also have multiple routes to work with. Honestly I was surprized to hear that the rams etc othe rteam who run the systems...it def seems to be the smartest way to play.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

59 catches 699 yards 6 TD's in 2020 with bad QB's 

is that supposed to be good? because those numbers do not indicate good, they indicate a guy who underperfomed at our WR last year by a large margin and was in effective for most if not all year.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

is that supposed to be good? because those numbers do not indicate good, they indicate a guy who underperfomed at our WR last year by a large margin and was in effective for most if not all year.

 

12 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

59 catches 699 yards 6 TD's in 2020 with bad QB's 

I mean chark gesicki etc are all better than him ranked...he was 55...on espn stats...terrible.

52
53
 
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

is that supposed to be good? because those numbers do not indicate good, they indicate a guy who underperfomed at our WR last year by a large margin and was in effective for most if not all year.

Its mediocre I take into consideration the starting QB's for the NY Jets in 2020 

Darnold only threw 9TD's in 12 games 

That flat out sucks. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Columbia Jet Fan said:

Seems like a fine day of practice - hopefully the injuries aren't too serious. 

One thing I can't help but notice is it seems like on a consistent basis the only two WRs who have been consistently performing are obviously Moore and then Corey Davis. Haven't seen anything consistent from guys like Crowder, Cole, Mims, Berrios, etc. I'm guessing Crowder will have a significantly reduced role in the new scheme. However, it really feels like there should be an opportunity for Mims to emerge - especially since he is predominantly running with the 2s/3s... pretty disappointed he hasn't made more of an impact. 

Mims isn't really the type of receiver for this system, which is not his fault, and doesn't mean he won't contribute. It's just how it is.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

image.png.b24bdac7a0d9c0afb9dbe279813e453f.png

Was watching the TC Live video and every single RB is using this visor. Not sure if there is more flexibility for stuff like that in practice or if half the team is going to be wearing these on game day. Seems like every player on the team has a visor now. Not sure if it's become something functional, like preventing getting poked in the eye or if it's just the cool thing these days. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...