Green and White Practice Saturday Night

It was a good night for our young secondary that most fans gave NO shot. Perhaps the pass rush and the youngins on the back end will be decent?

I am not surprised to hear the offense struggled. They need to takes these lumps and learn/grow.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

5 hours ago, NYJ Today said:

My Reaction to the Scrimmage

Cliff Notes Version: I ain’t worried about it. 

https://youtu.be/ELWCHnn8bxo

FCDA7CCA-7CED-4D61-81ED-F51A026866A5.png

Good summary and tight beard.

Wilson is a ballsy, competitive young man who evidently consumes tape. The coaching staff are probably meeting today to review. The pass protection continues to be an issue vs. a very talented DL. I expect to see a greater emphasis on protection heading into the Giants game with 2 TE sets and running the ball being priority #1. 

By the comments I saw, it looked as if the running game was not the priority last night (would like to get run/pass play #’s) which makes sense for these reasons:

* Coaches need to evaluate the DB’s in game situations. We have a lot of young players who are all lumped together talent wise and in need of coverage snaps. Opportunities to stand out and separate yourself is required.

* Zach requires a crash course getting ready for Carolina. Especially taking snaps under center, identifying blitz packages (if any last night) and checking out of plays as well as getting a feel for game speed under the lights and in front of fans.

* Teams will be taking away the run game and making the rookie Qb make plays. Might as well focus on that aspect of the game in practice, get the kid’s feet in the fire and let him take his lumps early and often until he and the offense start figuring it out. Better to learn against teammates than the Vagiants and Packers.

If anyone attending last nights scrimmage can comment on play selection (# runs vs. pass) and if there were blitz packages run I’d appreciate it 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2

9 hours ago, Lith said:

Exactly  The guy is about 10 days into his pro career.  Would have rather heard he had a good night, but lets see if he learns and get better.  Hopefully next Saturday will be a better showing against the Giants. 

I don't mind being furstrated by his performance, but what does bug me is that there are Jet fans who seem to take pleasure at his struggles tonight.

Hopefully you don?t think im happy about it. My opinions about what to do at the QB position have been pretty much out there for 6 months. Wilson has a chance to be very good. Facts are, the one time last year he faced any kind of pressure, (coastal Carolina) he didn't play that well. Including throwing into triple coverage at the end of the game, when he had a receiver breaking free on the other side. That would have been a game winner.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Don’t care. Hope I’m wrong. But yikes. Weak arm, jittery. Did Douglas watch Lance at all?

Just an unbelievable post for August 8 - from the I want to be the “ I told you so” guy. If you’re right, you get to repost this and tell us how smart you are.If you’re wrong,  nobody remembers or cares. 

• Sympathy 2
  • Post of the Week 3

10 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

As cliche as it is and no one really wants to hear it after a disappointing performance like tonight, the issue isn’t that Wilson had a night like tonight.  Every QB has had practices like this when they were young.  The good ones learn from it.  The bad ones don’t.  We will see if Wilson learns from it.

Wait, I read a bunch of posts where im supposed to write zach off as a player because of tonights scrimmage.  You mean we should hold off on a full evaluation for now?

• Upvote 3

FREE AGENT KICKERS - 2021
Rank Player Status Age '20 Team '21 Team
1 Younghoe Koo UFA 27 ATL  
2 Zane Gonzalez UFA 26 ARI  
3 Mike Badgley Signed 26 LAC LAC
4 Daniel Carlson Signed 26 LV LV
5 Joey Slye ERFA 25 CAR  
6 Matt Prater Signed 36 DET ARI
7 Stephen Gostkowski UFA 37 TEN  
8 Dustin Hopkins Signed 30 WAS WAS
9 Randy Bullock Signed 31 CIN DET
10 Dan Bailey Released 33 MIN

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, genot said:

Hopefully you don?t think im happy about it. My opinions about what to do at the QB position have been pretty much out there for 6 months. Wilson has a chance to be very good. Facts are, the one time last year he faced any kind of pressure, (coastal Carolina) he didn't play that well. Including throwing into triple coverage at the end of the game, when he had a receiver breaking free on the other side. That would have been a game winner.

I really dont understand the coastal carolina take.

Not only did I watch that game at the time (not thinking we were taking wilson) but at not point did he play bad in that game. Yes he was pressured, but there were multiple huge drops in that game by his WRs and if you are correct about the last play I will take your word for it, but since I didnt see the all-22 view, what I did see was a conversion to the 1 yard line that almost won the game.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 3

4 minutes ago, BCJet said:

Not only did I watch that game at the time (not thinking we were taking wilson) but at not point did he play bad in that game. Yes he was pressured, but there were multiple huge drops in that game by his WRs and if you are correct about the last play I will take your word for it, but since I didnt see the all-22 view, what I did see was a conversion to the 1 yard line that almost won the game.

Up until the last series he had thrown for like 140 yds, no tds. 1 int. It's not a put down. He just had trouble in that game making plays. I agree about WR drops. Receivers can help make or break a QB. That's why Douglas went out and got receivers who can catch and run good routes. Something the last QB here didn't have.

40 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Just an unbelievable post for August 8 - from the I want to be the “ I told you so” guy. If you’re right, you get to repost this and tell us how smart you are.If you’re wrong,  nobody remembers or cares. 

True. Just beaten down by this team and their inability to draft a QB. Too much looking incorrect on Wilson so far to be confident.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, jetsons said:

Hope you had a good time. ?

Thanks, I did.  About the 12th time I've seen him, give or take, always a good fun show.  Highly recommended, especially sine time for some of these older artists is dwindling.  Many will be gone before we know it.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, BCJet said:

yes, people look at stat lines and then think they know what happened.  He didn't play poorly CC's defense played well and his WR's let him down a bunch.

ZW has played and beat good teams in college - this idea that that was the only time he played a good team or was under pressure is just silly.

• Upvote 1

Regardless of how well or poorly he practices right now, I still dont see why this coaching staff had to crown him the week 1 starter right after he was drafted. What was the rush? If anything, with the question marks on this team and coaching staff, he should be sitting week 1.

• WTF? 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:
 FREE AGENT KICKERS - 2021
Rank Player Status Age '20 Team '21 Team
1 Younghoe Koo UFA 27 ATL  
2 Zane Gonzalez UFA 26 ARI  
3 Mike Badgley Signed 26 LAC LAC
4 Daniel Carlson Signed 26 LV LV
5 Joey Slye ERFA 25 CAR  
6 Matt Prater Signed 36 DET ARI
7 Stephen Gostkowski UFA 37 TEN  
8 Dustin Hopkins Signed 30 WAS WAS
9 Randy Bullock Signed 31 CIN DET
10 Dan Bailey Released 33 MIN

How is Koo still available? He’s pretty good. We should get him and settle K position.

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

So I wrote some notes during practice and I decided to post them and give some takeaways. 

Zach Wilson: He had a rough day but it is just a day. The whole offense struggled and I think the recent run on OL injuries is the primary culprit. That being said, Wilson was uncomfortable early and often. His worst play was the dropped interception by Joyner in the red zone, and his best was a completion down the sideline to Davis. He had trouble with the speed of the first team DL and on the drive where he finally got the team moving the first team back 7 was paired with the 3rd team DL. He did hit tight windows but opposing LBs and S might not be as forgiving as our’s were on inside breaking routes. Dude does have a fast release and effortless arm strength. 

Front 4: Studs… just studs. JFM was having a good day, as was Lawson and Huff and Foley and Shepherd and Rankins and Smart. The run game woes from practice was not there during the scrimmage as they penetrated and wrecked havoc. Tough cuts here since Kyle Phillips and Quinnen Williams aren’t even playing yet. I don’t wanna beat a dead horse but this is an exceptional group. 

Receivers: This is a deep group but maybe not the most dynamic. Crowder and Wilson have a timing issue to sort out. 

Running backs: Quiet day but it’s clear they’re gonna play an important role catching the ball.

Offensive Line: Starting OL wasn’t great against our starting DL. Becton got dropped and GVR got moved. Nothing great on the ground and pass protection was spotty.

Defensive Back: A pleasant surprise. Didn’t get beat often in 1v1s or in team drills. Guidry and MC2 are nice player in the slot. Good play from the safeties as well.

Standouts:

Mike White and James Morgan: Good performances from the back up QBs. Bailey and Berrios had decent performances with those two throwing to them.

Lamarcus Joyner: Active and fast. Also he’s very animated on the field.

Javelin Guidry: Fast and smart. Last year might not have been a fluke.

JFM: Played on the outside mostly and was a handful for Moses. 

Bryce Huff: Beat Becton on a play and he is quick. 

CJ Mosley: The dude can move and he is active before the play. If he’s healthy he stabilizes the LBs.

Miscellaneous

Mims was rotating into the second team. If there was a death chart based on rotations today, he’d be 8th. Davis, Moore, Cole, Crowder, Smith, Smith, Berrios were all firmly ahead of him.

I came away impressed with the linebackers. Looks like Cashman will be the primary backup to Mosley while Hamsah is the WLB. 

The defensive scheme looks good in coverage. It looks like the idea is to complicate releases and the short areas to force the QB to wait. Even completed passes were into tight coverage with an incoming defender. When there was an open player, it was on the sidelines just in front or behind Hall and Austin. 

Those were some observations. Relax Jets fans we’re less than a week away from the first preseason game and these are isolated observations from 1 practice.

Very interested in how he looked. Seems like he has been getting better by the day in camp. Can definitely make all the throws.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

How is Koo still available? He’s pretty good. We should get him and settle K position.

He isn't available, that info is out of date - he was re-signed by Atlanta quite some time ago.

Ironically, he was amongst the kickers we brought in and worked out when we were looking to replace Vedvik. Somehow, we chose Ficken over Koo at that time.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Don’t care. Hope I’m wrong. But yikes. Weak arm, jittery. Did Douglas watch Lance at all?

Weak arm?  Now you're trolling.  Or clueless, maybe blind. 

You're one of those who thinks arm strength is everything.  You would have cut Montana, Young, Bree's, etc etc with that kind of thinking. 

• Upvote 1