Coach Saleh is our Bill Cowher.

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Over his tenure Cowher had 6 different offensive coordinators. If you want to credit them for getting the most out of mediocre QB's, at a minimum you should credit him for selecting the best offensive coordinators. 

In the 5 years prior to Cowher the Steelers averaged 7.6 wins per season, had one wildcard appearance, and one playoff game W. In the first 5 years with Cowher the Steelers averaged 10.6 wins per season won 4 division titles, had 5 playoff appearances, won 4 playoff games and had 1 superbowl appearance w/Neil O'Donnel at QB. They had 2 different OC's during that time. 

He immediately turned the Steelers around from an average-below average team and made them a perennial superbowl contender with mediocre QBs.  Show me another coach who has done that. I'll bet you can count them on one hand.

Ok, fair point on OC. I'm still not sure how much credit I would give Cowher for the rest. 

15 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

There was some talk this offseason about seeing if Bill Cowher would come out of retirement to coach this team.  Well, that didnt happen.  But we did find the next Bill Cowher in Coach Saleh.  These 2 are very similar to me.

Both from the defensive side of the ball.  Both young.  Both very energetic and passionate about football.  Both super intense on gameday.  Players love them both.

Fellas, we have found the next bill cowher.  i expect coach saleh to be here for 15 years and to one up cowher by winning multiple super bowls.

So you think he will be an underachieving disappointment? 

6 hours ago, munchmemory said:

Wonder why he couldn't break down his defense when they blew a 10 point lead with 10 minutes left in their Super Bowl loss?   Take nothing away from the Chiefs/Andy/Mahomes.   What, not detailed enough?

I'm sure he can break down what went wrong, if asked.  His ability to explain the game doesn't mean his players will always execute perfectly.  Just the limitations of being a coach and not a player.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, slats said:

I’m not generally much of a gambler, but I might be willing to put my entire 401k up against this particular prediction. 

You don't have to believe me and that's ok. 

Just make sure you put $500 on Coach Saleh for Coach of the year @ +2000 odds and bring yourself back over $10k ($10,500). 

You'll thank me later because he's going to pull a NY Tom Thibs and become the NFL's COY. 

After training camp I'm putting $777 on it.

1 minute ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

You don't have to believe me and that's ok. 

Just make sure you put $500 on Coach Saleh for Coach of the year @ +2000 odds and bring yourself back over $10k ($10,500). 

You'll thank me later because he's going to pull a NY Tom Thibs and become the NFL's COY. 

After training camp I'm putting $777 on it.

I like the direction, I’m just not expecting the results all at once. I like the confidence, but I just don’t see the Jets with a winning record this year and, thus, don’t see Saleh in the COY competition. Even if he deserves it. And he might. 

2 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Over his tenure Cowher had 6 different offensive coordinators. If you want to credit them for getting the most out of mediocre QB's, at a minimum you should credit him for selecting the best offensive coordinators. 

In the 5 years prior to Cowher the Steelers averaged 7.6 wins per season, had one wildcard appearance, and one playoff game W. In the first 5 years with Cowher the Steelers averaged 10.6 wins per season won 4 division titles, had 5 playoff appearances, won 4 playoff games and had 1 superbowl appearance w/Neil O'Donnel at QB. They had 2 different OC's during that time. 

He immediately turned the Steelers around from an average-below average team and made them a perennial superbowl contender with mediocre QBs.  Show me another coach who has done that. I'll bet you can count them on one hand.

Didn't he replace Chuck Noll, the greatest coach ever in Pittsburgh?  The guy who was blessed with a 4 HoF'ers in one draft and rode that to 4 Super Bowls?  Then he got old and fired and in came Cowher, who took off like a ball of fire but still needed a decade and Big Ben to win it all.  Then Cowher left and Tomlin came in with the same group and did the same or better and he's still at it. 

So the Answer is: Just draft Hall of Fame capable quarterbacks.  Then you will definitely have a great coach.

I honestly just want the Jets to stick with a coach the way the Steelers stick with theirs. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Origen said:

Didn't he replace Chuck Noll, the greatest coach ever in Pittsburgh?  The guy who was blessed with a 4 HoF'ers in one draft and rode that to 4 Super Bowls?  Then he got old and fired and in came Cowher, who took off like a ball of fire but still needed a decade and Big Ben to win it all.  Then Cowher left and Tomlin came in with the same group and did the same or better and he's still at it. 

So the Answer is: Just draft Hall of Fame capable quarterbacks.  Then you will definitely have a great coach.

I honestly just want the Jets to stick with a coach the way the Steelers stick with theirs. 

I hate how people want to boil it down to how long it took him to win a championship as if he was a useless coach until the won a ring. Like I said - the Steelers were an average to below average team the 5 years prior to Cowher with Noll coaching. Cowher came in and turned them in to an immediate contender - year in and year out. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I hate how people want to boil it down to how long it took him to win a championship as if he was a useless coach until the won a ring. Like I said - the Steelers were an average to below average team the 5 years prior to Cowher with Noll coaching. Cowher came in and turned them in to an immediate contender - year in and year out. 

Cowher lucked out with O'Donnell, then really lucked out with Kordell Stewart.  Otherwise, the Pittsburgh fanbase tended to rage about Cowher as a moron who always choked in the big games.  You seem to have a really rosey view of Cowher that is not accurate at all until after Big Ben came along.  Cowher was a product of the Owners giving coaches time.

2 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

Think about it. They are very similar in a lot of ways.

I can see Saleh being hc for a decade.

Discuss

I pretty much see nothing in common here.  Cowher was a ST coach and a DC, Saleh a DC.  I hope they don’t mirror each other, Cowher was known a choker who didn’t get past the CG for years on end

3 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I pretty much see nothing in common here.  Cowher was a ST coach and a DC, Saleh a DC.  I hope they don’t mirror each other, Cowher was known a choker who didn’t get past the CG for years on end

Interesting 

Bubby, O'Donnell, and Stewart all played really well on the Steelers. I give credit to the Steelers for having a QB friendlyO.  Cowher had nothing to do with that

1 hour ago, HighPitch said:

Interesting 

Bubby, O'Donnell, and Stewart all played really well on the Steelers. I give credit to the Steelers for having a QB friendlyO.  Cowher had nothing to do with that

O’Donell & Brister?  Mediocre QBs.  

As I said, Cowher got to AFCCGs and missed a bunch of SBs.  Was a knock on him that he couldn’t win the big one for years.  

• 3 months later...
Just now, Joe W. Namath said:

Im more convinced today that hes our Bill Cowher then I was when I started this thread.  Have some patience jet fans.  We will be much more competitive next year and a super bowl contender in 2023.

What specifically have you seen from Saleh to warrant that belief?  Specifics, please.

2 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Im more convinced today that hes our Bill Cowher then I was when I started this thread.  Have some patience jet fans.  We will be much more competitive next year and a super bowl contender in 2023.

Ummm OK....

Saleh is doing exactly what he said he would not do, trying to force a system on his players instead of adapting to the players we have. Hopefully he wakes up but doubting it.

Its not about winning this year fellas.  We are evaluating players.  Why was guidry on Diggs?  Cause we need to see what we have in him. 

This is all about evaluation and who are the foundational pieces of this team.  

Every jet coach we have since parcells has pretty much had instant success.  Why you ask?  Because we have never truely rebuilt.  This is the 1st time we have ever done it.

The only people who are upset are jet fans who dont understand what is going on.  Joe, Robert and Woody have already discussed this plan.  There are 0 expectations to win games this year.

Accept that these guys actually have a plan and are executing it very well.

And stop whining about losing games we have 0 intention of winning.

4 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Sure it is.  Next year there will be expectations to field a competitive team and in 2023, there will be playoff expectations.

You will see major growth moving forward.  Just be patient jet fans.

Watch some St Johns basketball if you want a winner this year.

Playoffs next year and 2023 super bowl. Fair is fair. You and SAR are moving the Goal posts. 

Its not about winning this year fellas.  We are evaluating players.  Why was guidry on Diggs?  Cause we need to see what we have in him. 
This is all about evaluation and who are the foundational pieces of this team.  
Every jet coach we have since parcells has pretty much had instant success.  Why you ask?  Because we have never truely rebuilt.  This is the 1st time we have ever done it.
The only people who are upset are jet fans who dont understand what is going on.  Joe, Robert and Woody have already discussed this plan.  There are 0 expectations to win games this year.
Accept that these guys actually have a plan and are executing it very well.
And stop whining about losing games we have 0 intention of winning.

You are just digging yourself deeper here. You dont put a player on Diggs in a game to “see what he can do”. You know these guys practice right? They practice really hard.

About not winning games and not caring. That is also bs. What other team in the NFL rebuilds with this thought process? Name one.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1