USA Wrestling at the Olympics = Most Inspiring Sports Feat of the Year

18 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I get it, niche sport, not into it, the Olympics are too political for me this year...blah blah blah. 

USA Wrestling has been murdering this Olympics with one all-time inspiring feat after another in a games that the Russians have been dominating since 1984 and I cannot recommend catching up on it enough.  More than deserving of your time and attention. I know I am a homer and will probably catch sh*t/trolling for this, but good lord with the amount of bitching on a daily basis I have seen about this games, to watch the combat sports guys lace up their boots, shut up and get to work is something I think we can all learn from.

Two last second victories that are already being labeled as the greatest you'll ever see.  

Here is Gable Steveson's gold medal win from last night. He literally won at the very last second against a Georgian that has been dominating the big boy weight class for the last four years. Rulon Gardner level sh*t here. If watching him celebrate after doesn't give you chills I don't know what to tell you. 

This. Does. Not. Ever. Happen. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSXPmihrX3c

2 nights ago, David Taylor goes out and comes back down a point for gold from with 23 seconds to do against, again, a dude that has been dominating this class for years. Rulon Gardner level sh*t #2. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADcFirJcob4

Temyra Mensah-Stock went out and became the first black woman to ever win gold and did so by steam rolling everyone in her class and then gave the most amazing interview after winning. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEhEIy_YHx8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_s2IbQ1Arg

Almost every single American has medaled this Olympics after them, in pretty legendary ways too. And if none of this was enough, the finale happens tomorrow morning between America's Kyle Snyder and Sadulaev, who is hands down the best in the world right now and pushing GOAT status. It's the classic USA v Russia rivalry, but these two also have a long history and this is a rubber match between them. The fact that it's happening in a gold medal match as a finale to this last week is insane and not something you really ever see. 

image.png.f66ee9e7992e6e7ffdc1d38d204e5899.png

Stevenson’s two spin behind takedowns for 4 points with less than 10 seconds to go for a gold medal is almost impossible to do.  Also sign the beast…does an effortless backflip weighing 275 pounds.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, TokyoJetsFan said:

Stevenson’s two spin behind takedowns for 4 points with less than 10 seconds to go for a gold medal is almost impossible to do.  Also sign the beast…does an effortless backflip weighing 275 pounds.

Against a guy like Petriashvili of all people. It seems like folkstyle has caught a bad rap from the general public the last several years, but Gable's win doesn't happen without it. Athletic freak and a superstar.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Do we really need to do this? Just can’t understand why we can’t have a thread like this without taking it in that direction with comments like these. 

Can we just institute a penalty that anyone who trolls the wrestling thread has to consent to getting double legged by your kid at some point.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

Great thread and post man.

Ever since 7 years old of 1992 I've always looked forward to the Olympics every 4 years and have enjoyed every moment of it because it has me watching sports that I'd never watch if not for the Olympics such as Wrestling, Swimming, Volleyball, 3 on 3 basketball, Water Polo, Canoe/Kayak, BMX racing, Field Hockey, Gymnastics, Cricket and even TUG OF WAR etc. 

I love the Olympics so much I get 6  weeks of PTO/Sick time (240 hours) every year and I always use up 2 weeks of PTO just for the Olympics because I absolutely love this time of year. 

My favorite is basketball. USA basketball. So proud of these kids. Me and my daughter watch all the games together and our men's team is going for Gold tonight vs. France (with our C team) when everyone said "we couldn't do it" and/or "the Global ? World has caught up to American basketball" my ass. And our women are going for their 54th consecutive win and our 7th Gold in a row. The other day my daughter asked me poppa USA girls are the toughest and the strongest in the world huh? I gave her a kiss on her little forehead with a high five and told her THAT'S RIGHT my USA girl.

I love this sh*t man.

1 hour ago, The Crusher said:

Do we really need to do this? Just can’t understand why we can’t have a thread like this without taking it in that direction with comments like these. 

I mean that was such a good joke I’m not even sure what direction he’s coming from

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Wrestling is an awesome  very underrated sport imo.  Monumentally challenging as well.

I wrestled for a couple months in middle school.

Immediately walked out of practice and quit the day the coach began teaching the move where you shove a thumb up your opponent's ass.

I mean at first I laughed.  Figuring the coach was joking. 

He wasn't joking.  So I walked out.

To each their own.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Mike135 said:

Immediately walked out of practice and quit the day the coach began teaching the move where you shove a thumb up your opponent's ass.

To each their own.  

Cool story Mike.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I get it, niche sport, not into it, the Olympics are too political for me this year...blah blah blah. 

USA Wrestling has been murdering this Olympics with one all-time inspiring feat after another in a games that the Russians have been dominating since 1984 and I cannot recommend catching up on it enough.  More than deserving of your time and attention. I know I am a homer and will probably catch sh*t/trolling for this, but good lord with the amount of bitching on a daily basis I have seen about this games, to watch the combat sports guys lace up their boots, shut up and get to work is something I think we can all learn from.

Two last second victories that are already being labeled as the greatest you'll ever see.  

Here is Gable Steveson's gold medal win from last night. He literally won at the very last second against a Georgian that has been dominating the big boy weight class for the last four years. Rulon Gardner level sh*t here. If watching him celebrate after doesn't give you chills I don't know what to tell you. 

This. Does. Not. Ever. Happen. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSXPmihrX3c

2 nights ago, David Taylor goes out and comes back down a point for gold from with 23 seconds to do against, again, a dude that has been dominating this class for years. Rulon Gardner level sh*t #2. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADcFirJcob4

Temyra Mensah-Stock went out and became the first black woman to ever win gold and did so by steam rolling everyone in her class and then gave the most amazing interview after winning. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEhEIy_YHx8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_s2IbQ1Arg

Almost every single American has medaled this Olympics after them, in pretty legendary ways too. And if none of this was enough, the finale happens tomorrow morning between America's Kyle Snyder and Sadulaev, who is hands down the best in the world right now and pushing GOAT status. It's the classic USA v Russia rivalry, but these two also have a long history and this is a rubber match between them. The fact that it's happening in a gold medal match as a finale to this last week is insane and not something you really ever see. 

image.png.f66ee9e7992e6e7ffdc1d38d204e5899.png

Just watched all 4 of those videos, as I hadn't been following Wrestling or really the Olympics at all.  Chills indeed.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Mike135 said:

To each their own.  

I wrestled for years and was never taught or seen anyone teach it. 
Great Olympics Wrestling showing by the US. It’s growing in America again thanks to MMA. 

1 minute ago, New York Mick said:

I wrestled for years and was never taught or seen anyone teach it. 
Great Olympics Wrestling showing by the US. It’s growing in America again thanks to MMA. 

Definitely a great skill to have.  Especially in your 20s w/bar fights n all.  Quick way to de-escalate things w/o coming to blows.

Wrestling, not the thumb thing.  

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, DoubleDown said:

I know nothing about wrestling, but it seemed like Petriashvili simply let up at the end and tried to run out the clock.  Obviously a horrible strategy.

Two things worth noting here:

1. The majority of this match took place at an absurd pace. Both guys were very gassed. Gable just found something in him that the Georgian couldn't.

2. Slow the clip down and go to 4:22: Steveson snaps his head down and forces him to wrestle from one knee, but more importantly forces him to one knee and kills his posture at the same time. Petriashvili tries to regain his posture several times, but Steveson reads it and kills the effort by maintaining pressure on the outside shoulder as he spins to his back; but more importantly turns the corner at a speed that guys half their weight can only usually go. I get that it looks like the Georgian was trying to run things out but IMO he got outplayed and outworked by a guy who was younger, faster, and (recency bias aside) pulled out honestly the most clutch ending in the history of the sport. It's way more a credit to the American than anything against the Georgian.

• Upvote 2