USA Wrestling at the Olympics = Most Inspiring Sports Feat of the Year

4 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I get it, niche sport, not into it, the Olympics are too political for me this year...blah blah blah. 

USA Wrestling has been murdering this Olympics with one all-time inspiring feat after another in a games that the Russians have been dominating since 1984 and I cannot recommend catching up on it enough.  More than deserving of your time and attention. I know I am a homer and will probably catch sh*t/trolling for this, but good lord with the amount of bitching on a daily basis I have seen about this games, to watch the combat sports guys lace up their boots, shut up and get to work is something I think we can all learn from.

Two last second victories that are already being labeled as the greatest you'll ever see.  

Here is Gable Steveson's gold medal win from last night. He literally won at the very last second against a Georgian that has been dominating the big boy weight class for the last four years. Rulon Gardner level sh*t here. If watching him celebrate after doesn't give you chills I don't know what to tell you. 

This. Does. Not. Ever. Happen. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSXPmihrX3c

2 nights ago, David Taylor goes out and comes back down a point for gold from with 23 seconds to do against, again, a dude that has been dominating this class for years. Rulon Gardner level sh*t #2. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADcFirJcob4

Temyra Mensah-Stock went out and became the first black woman to ever win gold and did so by steam rolling everyone in her class and then gave the most amazing interview after winning. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEhEIy_YHx8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_s2IbQ1Arg

Almost every single American has medaled this Olympics after them, in pretty legendary ways too. And if none of this was enough, the finale happens tomorrow morning between America's Kyle Snyder and Sadulaev, who is hands down the best in the world right now and pushing GOAT status. It's the classic USA v Russia rivalry, but these two also have a long history and this is a rubber match between them. The fact that it's happening in a gold medal match as a finale to this last week is insane and not something you really ever see. 

image.png.f66ee9e7992e6e7ffdc1d38d204e5899.png

explain to me how those last 2 2 pointers (on the first video) count as points?  from my wwe recollection you gotta pin someon

Since we're telling wrestling stories, I'll tell one of mine:

In high school and college (briefly) I played both Baseball and Football, and was a big dude, 6'5", 280 or so at that time, and lifted (bro) pretty much every day.

One time in gym class a bunch of us were f'ing about messing around facing off, and I (who though he was big stronk like bull!) faced up to a wrestler.  I outweighed him by at least 100 pounds, and had about 8 inches of height and reach on him too.

All he was, you know, was an All-State Wrestler.

Dude had me on the ground on my back and in considerable "my arm doesn't bend that way, good sir" pain before I knew what the hell had hit me.  Speed and a deep knowledge of how to take a man down totally fubared my big slow silly ass.

Gave me a whole new respect for our wrestling friends.

Also, don't sleep on Gymnasts either.  Those dudes may be small and wear silly uniforms, but some of them are strong as hell.

• Upvote 3

Fantastic finishes. My family has been way into these Olympic Games. I love how wide open track and field has been and the women’s 400m hurdles final was great. I don’t think NBC has shown the wrestling matches. So thanks for posting. I don’t know much about wrestling but can appreciate that last second win by Stevenson.

Erriyon Knighton finishing 4th with a sub 20 second 200m at 17 years old was crazy. Dude is crazy fast for his age.

7 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

Fantastic finishes. My family has been way into these Olympic Games. I love how wide open track and field has been and the women’s 400m hurdles final was great. I don’t think NBC has shown the wrestling matches. So thanks for posting. I don’t know much about wrestling but can appreciate that last second win by Stevenson.

Erriyon Knighton finishing 4th with a sub 20 second 200m at 17 years old was crazy. Dude is crazy fast for his age.

They have only been available through the app. If you sort by sport you can find them, but like all the events this year the times they are on can be a bit confusing. I think the Snyder/Sadulaev final is at 7am EST tomorrow. 

The head of content for FloWrestling has honestly done a better job of posting updates and schedules than any of the networks, which is bizarre and sad. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Warfish said:

In high school and college (briefly) I played both Baseball and Football, and was a big dude, 6'5", 280 or so at that time, and lifted (bro) pretty much every day.

One time in gym class a bunch of us were f'ing about messing around facing off, and I (who though he was big stronk like bull!) faced up to a wrestler.  I outweighed him by at least 100 pounds, and had about 8 inches of height and reach on him too.

Dude had me on the ground on my back and in considerable "my arm doesn't bend that way, good sir" pain before I knew what the hell had hit me.  Speed and a deep knowledge of how to take a man down totally fubared my big slow silly ass.

Also, don't sleep on Gymnasts either.  Those dudes may be small and wear silly uniforms, but some of them are strong as hell.

Nightwing GIFs - Find & Share on GIPHY

4 hours ago, Warfish said:

The summer after my sophomore year in HS, me and my friends got to talking sports and one of my friends who played defensive tackle and was 6’ 6” and 250 lbs started going in on wrestlers and asked me if I could take him down…I was 5’ 7” and 105 lbs but I won the conference tournament and went to the state tournament…so I said …absolutely… we started to wrestle and I caught him with a high crotch lift and used his momentum to slam him in the grass… Everybody was stunned; 45 years later, my dad still brings it up… “remember the time Kevin slammed Ernie?”

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

Wrestling is a good skill to learn just for the ability to defend yourself in real world situations.  

My older brother wrestled and came home everyday to "practice" on me.  I only wrestled for two years in junior high school, it just wasn't for me.

But just those practice sessions with my brother coupled with the two years experience helped me later in life through a few street situations that I couldn't get out of.  With a monster sized dude coming at you, you're able to get them down, wear them out, cause some damage, and get out of there after they're gassed.