Josh Allen Gets New Deal

ZachEY

3 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Nah. Buffalo as of right now has less than $1M in available salary cap space come 2022s offseason and regardless of how you spin it or where you move money around to etc you'll still be in absolute SALARY CAP HELL with no ability to improve whatsoever throughout Free Agency (as well as signing your own players).

We should all start scouting 2022 Buffalo upcoming free agents because with only $1M in available salary cap space none of them will be coming back and with $60M the Jets can dress up their soon to be FAs in green and white. 

Actually, the Bills have just over $1M in cap space for '22 with their top 51 earners. Which is something to feel pretty good about, especially with a GM like Beane, who clearly knows how to handle cap space.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

Actually, the Bills have just over $1M in cap space for '22 with their top 51 earners. Which is something to feel pretty good about, especially with a GM like Beane, who clearly knows how to handle cap space.

You guys are looking good. They dis a great job building that team around Allen, If Allen keeps it up he’ll be a bargain at that price by the time others get signed. I hope we have that problem with Zach in four years. 

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

So the Bills are broke now right?

Their owner is worth more than both Johnsons combined so they're probably gonna be ok.

They've actually been paying out larger than usual amounts early in deals to get guys to sign more favorable deals that give them greater cap flexibility. They did it with White, Dawkins and Milano and from the looks of the way Allen's contract is structured, it's similar. There only seems to be one year that will be rough for them if they want to restructure his deal. 

I wonder if JD will get this type of flexibility. 

Good. I'm glad.
Because even before this long-term signing they were headed for cap hell this upcoming 2022 offseason with only $785,036 available salary cap space to spend. 
Now? After giving Josh Allen $43M per year? They're going to be in absolute SALARY CAP HELL come 2022's offseason with no ability to improve throughout FA or even keep their own key players. 
Joe Douglas will have over $60M to spend. Buffalo? Will be at over -40M
One of the few times you make a hell of a point in under 1000 words hahahaha

Sent from the NY Jets Training Camp Suicide Watch desk.

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Rocky Landing said:

I will say that it can not be overstated how important it's been to have a HC/GM duo who are not only good at their jobs, but are on the same page. A lot of what has happened in Buffalo is a function of the culture they have built.

We have a Bold Predictions thread on the Bills forum, and one of mine was that the AFCE becomes one of the most competitive divisions in the league, and I actually feel pretty confident in that prediction. I've been trying to get a bead on all three of our division opponents' training camps. The Patriots* are clearly trending up-- even if their QBs are not. Tua seems to be having a better TC than many expected, and Flores is the real deal, IMO. 

But, it's been a little tougher getting a bead on the Jets. I'll say this: What little we've seen of Wilson (the contract deny was utterly absurd), the timing he seems to be developing with Moore looks deadly. Small sample-size notwithstanding, the scant footage I've seen does not look like two rookies. 

That’s fair. Patriots are still the Patriots. If they get good QB play  they will be around. Dolphins have a very good roster but I don’t see Tua being a long term solution. I go to bed at night praying DeShaun Watson doesn’t end up there. Not taking away from his aggressive penis tour, that would be pretty brutal seeing him and Allen twice a year.

Moore looks exactly like the wide reviewer we haven’t drafted in a decade or longer. I can’t  help to think the Jets will somehow screw it up somehow but early returns on him are very exciting. Zach Looks like a rookie with promise in camp. He certainly says and does what you want to see and hear but until he takes  a snap in a live game  we have no idea honestly.

I will say with confidence Coach Saleh  and his staff seem to be running an impressive camp. @SAR I, He told me so. Joe Douglas has both good and bad at this point that’s reasonable considering what he started with, but I do see the coordination between him and Saleh and it’s very hopeful. 

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

That’s fair. Patriots are still the Patriots. If they get good QB play  they will be around. Dolphins have a very good roster but I don’t see Tua being a long term solution. I go to bed at night praying DeShaun Watson doesn’t end up there. Not taking away from his aggressive penis tour, that would be pretty brutal seeing him and Allen twice a year.

Moore looks exactly like the wide reviewer we haven’t drafted in a decade or longer. I can’t  help to think the Jets will somehow screw it up somehow but early returns on him are very exciting. Zach Looks like a rookie with promise in camp. He certainly says and does what you want to see and hear but until he takes  a snap in a live game  we have no idea honestly.

I will say with confidence Coach Saleh  and his staff seem to be running an impressive camp. @SAR I, He told me so. Joe Douglas has both good and bad at this point that’s reasonable considering what he started with, but I do see the coordination between him and Saleh and it’s very hopeful. 

This is the best I’ve felt after an offseason in quite some time. Finally looked like coaches and FO were in sync and actually had a plan

• Upvote 1

Josh Allen is a heck of a player.  He is worth every penny of that contract.  He is what we hoped Darnold would have become.
I hope Zach can become the player Josh Allen is.

I'm eating my heart out here. I hoped and prayed that Sam was the best QB in that class. So freaking disappointed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

Little under 1/3 your whole payroll to one player? How is that sustainable.

Are you confusing the cap number this year for his cap number in 2 years? 

Allen's Cap number is:

2021 - $10,210,057

2022 - $16,380,000

2023 - $39,780,000

The new TV contracts kick in 2023 which are expected to push the cap over 300 million per team. 

• Sympathy 2

5 hours ago, slats said:

Lol! For the record, I’m not sold on Allen. But I did always like him better than Rosen, at least, which set me a little bit apart around here. Dude is the prototype size/arm/legs/brains. Either last year was a fluke, or it just took him a while to grow into his body. We’ll get to see it right in our backyard. 

He got paid, though. Good for him. 

I like Lamar Jackson, but thought he was overrated after his rookie year.  I think we can all admit he came back to earth a little.  I think Allen is similar.  Not saying he isn’t very good, just a bit hyped up. He’d look a lot different without Diggs.  But, he gets credit for taking advantage 

On 8/6/2021 at 4:06 PM, Facts said:

Just looked it up. They lost Eric Fisher, Mitchell Schwartz, Anthony Reiter, Damien Williams, Sammy Watkins, Bashaud Breeland, Damien Wilson, Kelechi Osemele and Kapsaacin.

8 of those players were starters.

https://www.si.com/nfl/chiefs/gm-report/dont-panic-do-worry-about-the-kansas-city-chiefs-offseason-so-far

All those players were either replaced by someone clearly better, or they were a non-factor in 2020.

Eric Fisher was replaced by Orland Brown.

Mitchell Schwartz basically suffered a career ending injury, that is why he is currently a free agent.

Austin Reiter is currently a free agent, and they added Joe Thuney.

Damien Williams opted out in 2020.

Sammy Watkins only had 400 yards and was hurt all year. He had a grand total of 13 yards in the playoffs

Bashaud Breeland will be replaced by L'Jarius Snead, who had an amazing rookie year.

Damien Wilson is a non-factor.
Kelechi Osemele was only a starter because Laruent Tardif Duvernay opted out. KO played less than 1/3 o the games anyway.

They won't be missing any of those players.

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

Are you confusing the cap number this year for his cap number in 2 years? 

Allen's Cap number is:

2021 - $10,210,057

2022 - $16,380,000

2023 - $39,780,000

The new TV contracts kick in 2023 which are expected to push the cap over 300 million per team. 

Ohhhhhhh ok

6 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

I'm just busting your chops man because you're a new poster and a Bills fan but I get it. You're fired up Buffalo finally won a playoff game and wanted to join a Jets fan base to gloat about it. I get it. 

But I don't understand it.

Why are you talking up your Bills to a longtime suffering Jets fan base who haven't won a SB since the 1968-1969 season? What type of "enjoyment" do you get from that as a Buffalo Bills fan?

And why aren't you gloating over your 2 playoff wins on a N.E message board? Is it because you're scared that they'll laugh off your two playoff wins while gloating about their 6 NFL Championships? 

But yeah. What Buffalo Bills message board do you post on and what's your username over there? 

Jets message board is more live than the Pats or Phins to be brutally honest. Also echo chambers aren't good, so I don't like to be on the Bills forum 24/7.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

18 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Good. I'm glad.

Because even before this long-term signing they were headed for cap hell this upcoming 2022 offseason with only $785,036 available salary cap space to spend. 

Now? After giving Josh Allen $43M per year? They're going to be in absolute SALARY CAP HELL come 2022's offseason with no ability to improve throughout FA or even keep their own key players. 

Joe Douglas will have over $60M to spend. Buffalo? Will be at over -40M ???

The idea of cap hell is a desperate ploy that losing fan bases use against successful competing teams to give themselves hope of one day overtaking them. Fact of the matter is teams can cut some over priced veterans,  restructure a few deals and viola, they're out of trouble. It's hard to be in true cap hell within the rules of the NFL since most dollars to players are not guaranteed. 

Let's just focus on improving us and not worry about who's salary cap is where. Good for Allen, I wish we picked him. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

48 minutes ago, Sammybighead said:

The idea of cap hell is a desperate ploy that losing fan bases use against successful competing teams to give themselves hope of one day overtaking them. Fact of the matter is teams can cut some over priced veterans,  restructure a few deals and viola, they're out of trouble. It's hard to be in true cap hell within the rules of the NFL since most dollars to players are not guaranteed. 

Let's just focus on improving us and not worry about who's salary cap is where. Good for Allen, I wish we picked him. 

That's not true.

2022's cap space =

Buccaneers $18M.

Chiefs $19M. 

Ravens $28M.

Seattle = $46M.

Dolphin $63M.

Colts $71M.

Steelers $73M.

Etc. 

Yes. The Bills come next offseason will be in serious salary cap hell. 2022 or bust for them.

8 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

That's not true.

2022's cap space =

Buccaneers $18M.

Chiefs $19M. 

Ravens $28M.

Seattle = $46M.

Dolphin $63M.

Colts $71M.

Steelers $73M.

Etc. 

Yes. The Bills come next offseason will be in serious salary cap hell. 2022 or bust for them.

You’re complete lack of understanding is embarrassing.   

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sammybighead said:

Exactly.  Salary Cap Hell is a giant myth. 

• Upvote 1

Well it's certainly a risky move, considering he was a pile of hot garbage prior to last season, and even last year was far more up and down than folks wanted to admit once it had been crowned as his breakout season.  With that said, it was still a drastic improvement, and if he continues to get better they'll be glad they made the deal early, as the ridiculous QB prices will only continue to rise.  I'd definitely be a bit anxious if the Jets made that same deal though (with an equivalent player of course, not the crap QBs they typically have), even if not opposed to it.

Honestly at some point these salaries will become offensive to the masses.

1/4 billion dollars to a QB with one really good season.

At some point people will see the ludicrous waste of cash. Not saying its better in the owner pockets... just saying the blue collar followers will.wake up one day ... maybe.

I make a pretty good living ... zero jealousy .... just saying at some point the ridiculousness of what is happening with pro athletes will be undeniable. This is a whole new level of fiscal arrogance.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

18 hours ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

Remember when the herd mentality here was ripping on the kid for missing the tire swing at the senior bowl?  He was Hack 2.0 with the spidermen pictures?  

One or two say something and it snowballs into the whole board avalanching into group think.  

lol 

The mantra was  “he’s a RB not a QB, because nobody ever learns to be accurate.” 

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, Paradis said:

43 mill a year avg...

My god.

This exponential rise in QB salary is going to be crippling. It was only what, 4-5 years ago that Cousin's signing with MIN at roughly 30 a year was setting the bar and we've already gone up 15 mill from that...

so Zach's extention will be roughly 55 m a year???

As long as the cap keeps rising, QB's salary will too. 

As long as the cap keeps rising, QB's salary will too. 
I agree ... I think a prudent approach may be be to stack your QB room by continuously drafting QBs high so when the mediocre QB asks for 1/4 billion .... you say enjoy Buffalo we have the next Zach Wilson already on the team.

Obviously if you have the next Tom Brady, or Drew Brees ... you keep them.

But Dak f'ing Prescott or in this case Josh Freaking Allen ... unless hes Big Ben or better ... this is pure insanity.

At the end of the day, it comes down to this.

Good teams pay their good players, especially their QBs.

Bad teams keep trying to find a good QB and hope to build around him within a window.

Best teams find that QB, build around him within the window, and then pay him. Long term success ensues. 

1 hour ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

That's not true.

2022's cap space =

Buccaneers $18M.

Chiefs $19M. 

Ravens $28M.

Seattle = $46M.

Dolphin $63M.

Colts $71M.

Steelers $73M.

Etc. 

The Bills already resigned their important player for 2022 unlike many of the teams you listed above. They won't be in cap hell because they don't need to resign anyone and all the key players are under contract till at least 2023.

The best player the Bills could lose until 2023 is our nickle corner Taron Johnson.

12 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Honestly at some point these salaries will become offensive to the masses.

1/4 billion dollars to a QB with one really good season.

At some point people will see the ludicrous waste of cash. Not saying its better in the owner pockets... just saying the blue collar followers will.wake up one day ... maybe.

I make a pretty good living ... zero jealousy .... just saying at some point the ridiculousness of what is happening with pro athletes will be undeniable. This is a whole new level of fiscal arrogance.

It’s all relative.  Salaries are based on revenue, revenue is about to skyrocket.  In 3 years Josh’s deal will seem undervalued, as long as he continues to play at the level he did last season. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1