Cimini: Mims may be on the bubble

JTJet

1 hour ago, Icer said:

Lets be honest, if he cant earn playing time over Vyncint Smith and some guy called DJ Montgomery hes probably a bust. His lackadaisical attitude and inability to separate were bad signs.

Well there you have it… somehow and somewhere Mims got labeled as lackadaisical and now it’s written in stone. Where exactly did that come from? The guy ran a 4.3 something. How is separation an issue?

1 hour ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Exactly.

Guys like Ashtyn Davis, Jabari Zuniga, Cameron Clark, La'Mical Perine, Janes Morgan and Cameron Clark are all still on our roster?

But yet fans really believe the most talented one in Denzel Mims is on the "hot seat" and all because "Cimini" says so? 

Mind boggling.  

That's a good point.  none of them belong here.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Kind of not true. There is a video on YT that shows that Mims was WIDE open last year but Darnold just did not see him or throw it his way. 

@GREENBEAN said in one of his podcasts, that unlike other years when I would not be confident at all in the decisions on who to cut and keep (such as McKnight over Woodhead and the litany of veterans kept over young players) this year I am OK with whatever Saleh and JD decide. If they decided to cut Mims, trade Mims or keep Mims I am confident it will be the right call.

Everyone is getting caught up in the one negative story our bet writers can latch on to at the moment.  Everything else is going swimmingly. There have been numerous reports from others I talk to at the practices that mims is doing fine. Maybe not to the standard that Elija Moore has come in with but that's ok too. Mims fits a very real role here and I would be very surprised if we moved on from him without really nice compensation.  Something that teeters on too good to pass up. 

But like you said, if they decide to move on, as disappointed as I'd be, I'd support it. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

3 hours ago, ryu79 said:

It feels to me like the Saleh staff is making an example of Mims. He skipped a lot of the voluntary spring sessions and hasn't made the effort to connect with Zach on his own time that someone like Moore has... And that lack of initiative is reflecting in both his minutes and his performance. 

I am surprised by some of the comments on his blocking - both at Baylor and last year here he showed himself to be very willing (even eager) blocker. 

I like his hands and think he has potential, hope this works out. 

Good point about being made an example.

I seriously doubt the staff we have is as inpatient as fans on a message board and will dump a WR that was selected in the 2nd round after a half season of tape.  With Darnold, Gase and COVID restrictions.  

25 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Everyone is getting caught up in the one negative story our bet writers can latch on to at the moment.  Everything else is going swimmingly. There have been numerous reports from others I talk to at the practices that mims is doing fine. Maybe not to the standard that Elija Moore has come in with but that's ok too. Mims fits a very real role here and I would be very surprised if we moved on from him without really nice compensation.  Something that teeters on too good to pass up. 

But like you said, if they decide to move on, as disappointed as I'd be, I'd support it. 

Are you going to be at the green and white practice tonight @GREENBEAN @Green Bean

?

I sure hope so man because I want a live update on if Denzel Mims starts @ WR #2 or not.

PS: I love your Jets YouTube videos my dude and because of passionate Jets fans like you and others I can 100% ignore beat writing hacks who are not only paid $$$ to create offseason training camp hot takes of drama but also paid to attack kids (young players). 

Thnx you for all that you do for us fans who can't get enough of Jets football talk. 

PS I love how you and @bla bla bla colab together because Ryan is one of my favorites Pilots and I'd also love for the both of you to welcome @NYJ Today with open arms and get him on your team he's a great TGG friend of mine for many years now and just featured Victor Green on a podcast and Victor Green does podcasts for NO ONE. @bla bla bla @GREENBEAN and @NYJ Today ? On the same broadcast? I'd love it.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

https://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/depthchart/NYJ

Wake me up when Denzel Mims is listed as our 4th/5th/6th WR on our Depth Chart or better yet please let me know when Robert Saleh says so himself. 

Because Cimini and others are paid to create click bait hot takes full of nothing but HACK reports (and you Jets fans buy into it each and every time).

Robert Saleh our Head Coach has already made it known he's spreading out the 1's, 2's and 3's snap counts 100% evenly but yet you guys rather listen to beat writing hacks instead of Coach Saleh himself ?

Wow ! Dunn must suck according to this. ?

Why would Ourlads have a better insight into the Jets thinking than a Jets beat writer ?

I still don't get why people are saying he will/would get cut.  Worst case he goes to the Practice Squad.  If they deal him, it would probably be dollars on the penny, so go ahead.  Otherwise let the guy finish his first training camp after an ok first year without one at all last year.  I'm pretty comfortable with the Coaches and JD now.

50 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

You're dead wrong about Cole, he's a lot better than you think.  You're under appreciating those developmental years Coles has and playing for the Jags how little opportunity he's had.  

Nah...I think I was being generous.  Look, not every Jet has to be great.  This team actually has some talent now.  Cole should be the 5th receiver on a good team (not great), that's his talent level.   I was hoping for Mims to be a #2 at worst

Now, if Moore can play outside, Cole moves to #4 - which isn't terrible. But had Mims stepped up - Cole would be 5, exactly where he belongs.

• Sympathy 1

15 minutes ago, Origen said:

I still don't get why people are saying he will/would get cut.  Worst case he goes to the Practice Squad.  If they deal him, it would probably be dollars on the penny, so go ahead.  Otherwise let the guy finish his first training camp after an ok first year without one at all last year.  I'm pretty comfortable with the Coaches and JD now.

If he’s on our PS, someone will pick him up. 

7 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Nah...I think I was being generous.  Look, not every Jet has to be great.  This team actually has some talent now.  Cole should be the 5th receiver on a good team (not great), that's his talent level.   I was hoping for Mims to be a #2 at worst

Now, if Moore can play outside, Cole moves to #4 - which isn't terrible. But had Mims stepped up - Cole would be 5, exactly where he belongs.

This is a good take in my mind. The ideal scenario was always for Mims to step up and be the outside WR opposite Davis with Cole mixing into the offense. Looks like it will be the opposite. The offense can still be effective and ultimately that’s all any of us cares about. 

Just my take.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Origen said:

If he goes on the practice squad he'll get scooped up in minutes.

It's highly unlikely he gets cut, only way he gets cut is if he's really putting forth no effort, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

I think, at worst he's a really good red zone target.

• Upvote 3

22 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

If he goes on the practice squad he'll get scooped up in minutes.

It's highly unlikely he gets cut, only way he gets cut is if he's really putting forth no effort, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

I think, at worst he's a really good red zone target.

Do people not remember this?

"16-person practice squad with up six of those spots being for veterans--usually unprotected on previous practice squad rules."

So they can stash him as long as they want, no worries.  Same thing if they want to keep a Vet QB on the PS as protection if everyone is out.  They are protected spots now.  This wasn't a new rule.

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Good point about being made an example.

I seriously doubt the staff we have is as inpatient as fans on a message board and will dump a WR that was selected in the 2nd round after a half season of tape.  With Darnold, Gase and COVID restrictions.  

The only way he gets cut if he's really not even trying....Only time guys like that get cut early is if they're just not giving any effort.

4 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

He really should be better than Cole. Cole is just a small step above a Jag.  
I expected Mims to play a significant role on the outside.  
mid ge can’t beat our Cole we really shouldn’t be expecting much from him 

I'm pretty sure we've had this discussion ... But Cole can play foosball... 

If given a substantial role I expect good things from him. We have an embarrassment of wealth at the WR position. I don't think Mims goes anywhere...

5 minutes ago, Origen said:

Do people not remember this?

"16-person practice squad with up six of those spots being for veterans--usually unprotected on previous practice squad rules."

So they can stash him as long as they want, no worries.  Same thing if they want to keep a Vet QB on the PS as protection if everyone is out.  They are protected spots now.  This wasn't a new rule.

I can honestly say I did not know you could protect anyone on the practice squad.    My misunderstanding.

Thanks!

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Lurker89 said:

I'm pretty sure we've had this discussion ... But Cole can play foosball... 

If given a substantial role I expect good things from him. We have an embarrassment of wealth at the WR position. I don't think Mims goes anywhere...

We did have this discussion when they first signed him.  Yeah, he's fine but guys like him are everywhere.   I'm not saying he's not good but he's a #4 at best - preferably a 5.

He would be a 2 or 3 on the Jets lately, but that's not really anything we should be aspiring to.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, FidelioJet said:

We did have this discussion when they first signed him.  Yeah, he's fine but guys like him are everywhere.   I'm not saying he's not good but he's a #4 at best - preferably a 5.

He would be a 2 or 3 on the Jets lately, but that's not really anything we should be aspiring to.

Amen... I'm so beaten down by our mutual abuser that I'm defending the skills of Keelan Cole ?. He is what I would expect us to have as a number 2 over the last decade.

I like him though, he is a high end number 4. (That's a fun sentence)

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

He’s had 8 games.  It has nothing to do with every Jet doesn’t have to be great.  I heard this same stuff in QW first season.  

• Sympathy 1

11 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Reading btwn the lines is Mims has gotten by so far on his God given talent and not putting in the extra work.  At this level, every has God given talent and its no longer going to be enough.

Mimsy needs to start taking his craft seriously or he is not going to be here long.

Jd pick