Cimini: Mims may be on the bubble

JTJet

I think Cimini wrote this opinion article cause it was a slow day and wanted to create some discussion as to Mims not making the team and knowing that  the Jets as the national poster boy for ineptitude got his desired reaction from us fans. I am just curious and it begs the question  If he was a Las Vegas Raider reporter would he be writing the same type of article about Henry Ruggs who didn’t have a great season last year who played on a better team and was drafted in the first round? I don’t know the answer but  As I said before let’s give Mims some time get his head on straight if that’s the case cause he certainly does have the talent and potential to be a very good player 

• Upvote 2

58 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

"Not talented".

"Not explosive".

(Lined up as a #1 WR on the outside).

"Getting cut during his 1st ever NFL training camp".

WTF DID KEELAN COLE, JAMISON CROWDER AND "BRAXTON BERRIOS" DO TONIGHT?

Because those are the WRs who both you and Rich Cimini have told me he's "buried alive behind", right? 

image.png.8a5e6a2bee28b44a4b5bb24c7f8a564c.png

YES.

He needs to do this against first team players,  not the garbage the Giants trotted out there

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 4

7 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

He needs to do this against first team players,  not the garbage the Giants trotted out there

You are correct he needs to show this against better talent. At the same time he deserves credit for strength,determination and ball protection. That type of play should get him the opportunity to show more.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2

4 minutes ago, Bocajetfan said:

You are correct he needs to show this against better talent. At the same time he deserves credit for strength,determination and ball protection. That type of play should get him the opportunity to show more.

Mims is a big strong WR. You won't  stop him with arm tackles. 

I was so happy for Mims after that ridiculous play where he carried like 5 giants for the first down. This kid was a perennial 1st round pick last year and now they got him out here on special teams. He hasn’t complained once. I look for big things with him

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

It's pretty obvious to me Jets fans at large are a bunch of snowflake bandwagon fans. What a completely DUMB stance to think Denzel Mims would be cut and wasn't good enough to make the team. That must be like all those fans that thought Greg Dortsch had a roster spot locked up to be EXCLUSIVELY the kick returner. Lol Denzel Mims is an EXCELLENT WR prospect and he's exactly what we thought we were getting based on his limited rookie playing time....

Sent from my SM-G930VL using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2

3 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

"Not talented".

"Not explosive".

(Lined up as a #1 WR on the outside).

"Getting cut during his 1st ever NFL training camp".

WTF DID KEELAN COLE, JAMISON CROWDER AND "BRAXTON BERRIOS" DO TONIGHT?

Because those are the WRs who both you and Rich Cimini have told me he's "buried alive behind", right? 

image.png.8a5e6a2bee28b44a4b5bb24c7f8a564c.png

YES.

Cole, Crowder, and Berios played against the 1s. Mims played against the 3s. 

If you line up as the #1 on the outside but only with the 3rd string, does that not make you like the 5th-7th WR on our depth chart? 

17 minutes ago, Zachtomims47 said:

If you’re counting touchdowns as success from last season then idk what to tell ya.

Ha, what do you go by? That the guy caught the ball? They call them receivers for a reason. 

What I saw was a guy that never seemed to have that extra gear. All the great ones have that. With Mims it seemed he was just ok making the catch and getting tackled. I don't  know if you remember when Edwards played here but he would literally  drag players for extra yards. That is what we should be seeing from someone as big as Mims. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 3

9 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Ha, what do you go by? That the guy caught the ball? They call them receivers for a reason. 

What I saw was a guy that never seemed to have that extra gear. All the great ones have that. With Mims it seemed he was just ok making the catch and getting tackled. I don't  know if you remember when Edwards played here but he would literally  drag players for extra yards. That is what we should be seeing from someone as big as Mims. 

Berrios catching a garbage time TDs isn’t getting me excited. That’s my point. Love me some Berrios but give me Mims over him all day long. I don’t need another small slot guy who can fair catch well. 

Give me the guy who’s gonna go up and grab it from the defender. Make the tough catches. Who else is doing that here, Corey Davis and who else?

And you’re describing exactly what  Mims did last night. But yea, you’ll see more of that the more he plays and the more opportunities he gets. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Zachtomims47 said:

Berrios catching a garbage time TDs isn’t getting me excited. That’s my point. Love me some Berrios but give me Mims over him all day long. I don’t need another small slot guy who can fair catch well. 

Give me the guy who’s gonna go up and grab it from the defender. Make the tough catches. Who else is doing that here, Corey Davis and who else?

And you’re describing exactly what  Mims did last night. But yea, you’ll see more of that the more he plays and the more opportunities he gets. 

What it meant is Barrios got open. And Barrios wasn't  a garbage time player, he was the number 3 reciever last season. I know he shouldn't be but he played all game on O.

I agree that I rather have a guy like Mims over Barrios, the problem is Barrios has out-played Mims. 

14 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Barrios has out-played Mims. 

37 catches for 394 yards is not a good foundation for an argument that someone is outplaying someone else, especially when the guy that was "outplayed" averages 50 percent more yards per reception than the first guy, who by the way, played all sixteen games and only had 37 more receiving yards than the second guy did in nine.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, ZacharyWilson said:

37 catches for 394 yards is not a good foundation for an argument that someone is outplaying someone else, especially when the guy that was "outplayed" averages 50 percent more yards per reception than the first guy, who by the way, played all sixteen games and only had 37 more receiving yards than the second guy did in nine.

Not going to try to make a case for one guy sucking less than the other. They both sucked. I just saw Barrios making more plays. 

7 minutes ago, ZacharyWilson said:

Shouldn't special team considerations be part of this specific discussion?  

4 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

Um.

Weren't the Jets 2-14 with nothing but garbage players last year? And you're complaining about an AWESOME performance from Denzel Mims? 

Because Denzel Mims did make plays last year against starters and despite being surrounded by nothing but garbage too. 

(your favorite players and coaches like Sam, Perriman, Herndon, Gore, RG, Fant, Gase and Loggains who YOU loved). 

2 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Well then they shouldn't be starters anymore because they did absolutely nothingness last night. 

(Two can play this game). 

I'm not sure if you're actively choosing to ignore how pre season games work, or of you just dont know. 

The staff knows what they have in all the guys in front of Mims, and they have shown things in practice, thus no real need to put them to work too much in a meaningless preseason game.

Mims needs the work, and he got it.. with 3rd string. Personally, I think the coaches are trying to light a fire inside him and piss him off. 

We all want him to put it together. 

1 hour ago, ZacharyWilson said:

There was a running play that wasn't even on his side of the ball and he was blocking ten yards down the field and stayed on his man until the whistle. Effort is not a problem with him.

Exactly. 

There's never been anything wrong with Denzel Mims other than...

• Sam Darnold: 42nd QB Rating last year (a BUST who Joe Douglas threw away). 

• Joe Flacco: A completely washed up backup QB (who Joe Douglas threw away).  

• Perriman as a former 1st round bust playing opposite of him (A WR who Joe Douglas quit on after only 1 season). 

• Our LG who I don't remember his name (who JD threw away and drafted Alijah Vera-Tucker 1st round because of it). 

• George Fant who ranked dead last and 64th/64th amongst all starting OTs (who Joe Douglas has already replaced with a beast RT Morgan Moses). 

• Adam Gase but where is he now? 

• Dowell Loggains but where is he now? 

FUNNY HOW ALL OF THESE DENZEL MIMS CRITICS REFUSE TO ACKNOWLEDGE THESE FACTS AS THEY CONTINUE TO NITPICK ON DENZEL MIMS.

(But nothing about Ashtyn Davis, Jabari Zuniga, La'Mical Perine, James Morgan, Cameron Clark, Bryce Hall and Braden Mann for their CRAP rookie seasons just the most talented one in "Denzel Mims"). 

Where are of their threads @ in absolute disgust about those other 2-14 Rookies? 

21 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Um.

Weren't the Jets 2-14 with nothing but garbage players last year? And you're complaining about an AWESOME performance from Denzel Mims? 

Because Denzel Mims did make plays last year against starters and despite being surrounded by nothing but garbage too. 

(your favorite players and coaches like Sam, Perriman, Herndon, Gore, RG, Fant, Gase and Loggains who YOU loved). 

Jon Stewart What GIF

3 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

FUNNY HOW ALL OF THESE DENZEL MIMS CRITICS REFUSE TO ACKNOWLEDGE THESE FACTS AS THEY CONTINUE TO NITPICK ON DENZEL MIMS.

I really don't see our fans being critical of Mims - just concerned by where he is on the depth chart.   The coaches are making that choice, not the fan base.

• Upvote 4

9 minutes ago, JTJet said:

Mims needs the work, and he got it.. with 3rd string. Personally, I think the coaches are trying to light a fire inside him and piss him off. 

We all want him to put it together. 

Personally, I think theyre trying to get him back to speed, trying to get him back into playing weight, overcome the loss from food poisoning.  Hes going to get playing time when hes back to health

• Upvote 2