Does Zach Wilson suck ?

Rhg1084

1 hour ago, BillsFanBurner said:

Brady was unprecedented. Rodgers was unprecedented. Mahomes was unprecedented. Herbert was unprecedented. I don't know where this narrative about Allen came from, but most successful QBs had to buck a few trends to get there.

None of those other QBs you listed sucked for 2 years and then became elite in year 3.  And none of those QBs had college accuracy issues (which continued into his first 2 pro seasons) on the level of Allen, either.  

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

20 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

None of those other QBs you listed sucked for 2 years and then became elite in year 3.  And none of those QBs had college accuracy issues (which continued into his first 2 pro seasons) on the level of Allen, either.  

Allen didn't suck in year 2. This is what I mean, people outside of Buffalo didnt actually watch him. He was pretty bad in year 1 but showed improvement in the 2nd half of that season. Year 2 he was actually pretty good considering his supporting cast. Year 3 didn't come out of nowhere, it only looked that way to people that didn't pay attention.

Mahomes and Rodgers both had accuracy issues in college caused by mechanical issues that they had to fix. You're flat out wrong about them. There's a reason neither saw the field until year 2 or year 3 of their careers. Allen wasn't given that chance and it looks like Wilson won't either. I'm just trying to give you a reason to be optimistic. If you want to judge Wilson's career based on what he does in this one year, be my guest.

• Upvote 4

5 hours ago, BillsFanBurner said:

Brady was unprecedented. Rodgers was unprecedented. Mahomes was unprecedented. Herbert was unprecedented. I don't know where this narrative about Allen came from, but most successful QBs had to buck a few trends to get there.

Jets fans will keep hoping last year was just an anomaly but he's had a great offseason and the offense has apparently picked up right where it left off. With a full season with Diggs now under his belt the passing offense could be even better this year. There's nothing to indicate last year was a flash in the pan. And of course many QBs haven't had that arc - very very few people ever enter the realm of top 10 QBs, let alone top 5. If Wilson wants to get there he will have to work as hard as Allen did.

Hard to argue that. You guys got one there for sure. Probes  when management and coaches can share a single vision an amazing turn around can happen. No matter how much people want to argue Allen is who he is because he had insane measurable physical skill and went to a team that accentuated his ability by surrounding him with great talent.

Zach? Who knows? I think they should have brought him along slower by giving  him the option to not start the season but Learn the gave at a suitable pace. This is where I gotta trust the coaches and front office. But, I do believe Saleh and Douglas are working together and have a solid vision of the long term team they want to build. Not sure the ability to draft is quite there but a couple guys showing out this year could make all the difference in the world. 

• Upvote 4

Here is a throwback.  This is an observation from Connor Hughes about Darnold in his rookie year (Connor really liked him).  Note that Cimini has a comment below that puts the throw into context, something we don't always get with these "great throw" tweets from other teams.

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, JiFapono said:

Obviously my view point on him as a prospect is impacting my patience and low expectations this season but yeah, none of this should be in the least bit surprising.   His film was littered with bad habits from a passion for fading way back out of the pocket without pressure to leaving clean pockets to throwing up a sh*t ton of yolo balls in college.  I guarantee you, that's the stuff they're working on him with him because you just straight up cant get away with it in the NFL.  So the fact that he's probably being forced to play closer to the LOS then he ever has before is probably a HUGE adjustment in terms of facing pressure, especially considering the HUGE jump in competition.  Throw in the fact that not single person in the entire building has ever developed a QB and yeah, as I've said 100 times before, this is more than likely going to be very ugly before it's even remotely pretty.

I’m not sure what you’re talking about, no one could have seen any of this coming.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Jittery on a check down, bad pass. Last pass into triple coverage into the EZ. Not much to go off of here, but the game looks fast for him right now. 

Well to be fair the game looks fast to every single Rookie QB who's ever lived to play this game and especially during Training Camp.

What do you expect?

He's an off-season Rookie QB who's yet to even take a single preseason snap just yet...

• Upvote 4

This is an interesting tidbit from Connor Hughes: 

"After an impressive stretch of organized team activities and minicamp practices, along with a nice start to training camp, Wilson has struggled some in recent days, and there might be a reason for that. Those early practices were all scripted. The Jets went over in meetings every play they would run, then went out on the field and repped it. Wilson knew what was coming, so he could go prepare his mind before taking the field.

The Jets started live drills on the seventh day of training camp, meaning Wilson found out what play was coming when offensive coordinator Mike LaFleur radioed it into his head. The young quarterback looks much more like a young quarterback in these periods. That was the case Saturday, too. The Jets ran through two scripted series before they began their scrimmage. Wilson completed all four of his pass attempts, highlighted by a long gainer to Ryan Griffin."

Hahaha that was Gase's issue too. .his first 15 scripted plays went well. Then after that he went to crap.

Sent from the NY Jets Training Camp Suicide Watch desk.

He's had good practices but people who have no understand of the game, of sports, panic and throw all the good out with a down performance.  
He scrimmaged against by all accounts to a tough defense.  He was playing his first game like situation, taking plays through a headset live, not scripted.
Hes had two to three  good practices in a row so is it ok to sing his praises?  
Dont call it Jets suicide watch desk, call it SOJF suicide watch.   They're the only ones paniced considering a draft pick could be a bust off of a scrimmage.  

When he is showing some level of consistency then I can see some of the comments being tossed around plain and simple. More specifically DWC and his over the top references.

I don't and didn't have the expectation that would be yesterday but it's not SOJF because you don't jump out the window singing every time he completes a pass. You can be objective and not be SOJF...You realize that right?

Sent from the NY Jets Training Camp Suicide Watch desk.

• Sympathy 1

7 hours ago, munchmemory said:

With profound sadness and anger, I watched Sam Darnold play like a scrub for three seasons.   Now, giddily, I will watch him bring down the Panthers franchise with his colossal inability to read defenses and play at a competent NFL level.  The turnover machine will continue until he's eventually benched.

Like Sanchez and Geno before him, the Darnold pick was a mistake.  And like both of those other dopes, Darnold will be a backup QB for the rest of his disastrous career or out of the NFL entirely in two years.

That’s cool and all….but what will Wilson be? 

That’s the only thing that matters now.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Larz said:

Cool

if the jets don’t get the pass protection fixed it won’t matter who is back there 

E7C24DF8-58E4-48E6-878C-2AA0DCA87F47.jpeg

Patrick Mahomes vs. TB (without an O-Line).

• 26/49 (53.0%). 

• 270 passing yards (5.51 yards per pass attempt).

• 0 TDs. 

• 2 INTs. 

• 3 x sacked. 

• Only 9 points scored (3 FGs).

√ QB Rating of only 52.3 (atrocious).

How Patrick Mahomes looked vs. The Buccaneers Defense because of a depleted and crap O-Lineman? Is how he would've always looked as a Jets QB if drafted into Maccagnan's atrocious O-Line. 

I always told people for years on end who called the Jamal Adams a bad pick, that if drafted by NYJ Patrick Mahomes would've looked like complete crap; and his crap performance (one of the worst I've ever seen) against TB imo proved me right. 

No. Mahomes would've never won a SB if drafted by Maccagnan. No. Mahomes would've never made an All-Pro team if drafted into our atrocious O-Line. No. Patrick Mahomes would've never had a winning season if drafted as a Jet. And no, Patrick Mahomes would've never returned us back two 1st round draft picks (because he would've looked like KC vs. TB crap). 

Mahomes went to QB heaven with Andy Reid, Kelce, Tyreek Hill, Sammy Watkins and more importantly an A+ O-Line full of nothing but Pro Bowl and All-Pro O-linemen.

If drafted into NY (back then) he would've immediately been drafted into O-Line and QB hell. 

That game against TB (behind an injury depleted and absolute crapfest O-Line) is a perfect example of who he "would've been as a Jet" and all the "arm talent" in the world wouldn't have been able to save him (awesome QB though and an amazing talent nonetheless).

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 2
  • Sympathy 1

5 hours ago, munchmemory said:

I always think of Yngwie Malmsteen vs the late master, B.B. King.   Yeah, Yngwie is technically proficient and knows the theory up and down.  10K notes per second. But literally, B.B. starts with a a full tone bend and stops the show, blowing the other guy out the door.

Like you and everyone here, I am praying this kid finally breaks the streak of bad Jet QB picks.  I've been watching since about 1965 so, yeah, I am all out of patience.  I'm not asking for the friggin' world.  Just want to watch us play with a competent QB who is not an INT/Pick 6 machine.  Who can grow into the position and lead the team for the next 10 years.

images.jpg.1d84913b8a8e53d06c651089b4c48784.jpg

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Jittery on a check down, bad pass. Last pass into triple coverage into the EZ. Not much to go off of here, but the game looks fast for him right now. 

Thanks for posting that.   It was a great look.  He doesn't look sharp on the screen. 

WTF happened at 345?  Was that a horrible play design or did someone miss a block? 

It looks like the offense teams run with rookies.  Short fast passes to get the ball out and make it easy.  They don't seem to be running the ball well.  That won't be a good outcome. They better have a wrinkle to start moving the QB out of the pocket as a plan B. 

7 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Patrick Mahomes vs. TB (without an O-Line).

• 26/49 (53.0%). 

• 270 passing yards (5.51 yards per pass attempt).

• 0 TDs. 

• 2 INTs. 

• 3 x sacked. 

• Only 9 points scored (3 FGs).

√ QB Rating of only 52.3 (atrocious).

How Patrick Mahomes looked vs. The Buccaneers Defense because of a depleted and crap O-Lineman? Is how he would've always looked as a Jets QB if drafted into Maccagnan's atrocious O-Line. 

I always told people for years on end who called the Jamal Adams a bad pick, that if drafted by NYJ Patrick Mahomes would've looked like complete crap; and his crap performance (one of the worst I've ever seen) against TB imo proved me right. 

No. Mahomes would've never won a SB if drafted by Maccagnan. No. Mahomes would've never made an All-Pro team if drafted into our atrocious O-Line. No. Patrick Mahomes would've never had a winning season if drafted as a Jet. And no, Patrick Mahomes would've never returned us back two 1st round draft picks (because he would've looked like KC vs. TB crap). 

Mahomes went to QB heaven with Andy Reid, Kelce, Tyreek Hill, Sammy Watkins and more importantly an A+ O-Line full of nothing but Pro Bowl and All-Pro O-linemen.

If drafted into NY (back then) he would've immediately been drafted into O-Line and QB hell. 

That game against TB (behind an injury depleted and absolute crapfest O-Line) is a perfect example of who he "would've been as a Jet" and all the "arm talent" in the world wouldn't have been able to save him (awesome QB though and an amazing talent nonetheless).

So, you are saying we should've  kept Sammy and drafted Pitts?  Got it!

• Sympathy 1

Quite possibly the dumbest thread and comment I’ve ever read. I’m afraid to take an IQ test right now, I’m sure it’ll show I got stupider just reading it.

What exactly are you basing your question on? A single pre-season game.

Should he be handed the starting job? He has been handed the starting job, because they drafted him to the the starting QB.

Is he a HoFer? Of course not. Is he a draft bust? Of course not.

Back up analysis with some semblance of solid facts and research, or be labeled a troll ...

7 minutes ago, SOFA King said:

Quite possibly the dumbest thread and comment I’ve ever read. I’m afraid to take an IQ test right now, I’m sure it’ll show I got stupider just reading it.

What exactly are you basing your question on? A single pre-season game.

Should he be handed the starting job? He has been handed the starting job, because they drafted him to the the starting QB.

Is he a HoFer? Of course not. Is he a draft bust? Of course not.

Back up analysis with some semblance of solid facts and research, or be labeled a troll ...

Facts:  He sucked in a live scrimmage.

Facts: You asked and answered you’re own rhetorical question. 

Analysis: Zach sucks

Analysis:  Your fear of taking an IQ test after reading this thread has merit.  

likelihood this post is trolling:  High

• Haha 1