Does Zach Wilson suck ?

11 hours ago, jetspenguin said:

When he is showing some level of consistency then I can see some of the comments being tossed around plain and simple. More specifically DWC and his over the top references.

I don't and didn't have the expectation that would be yesterday but it's not SOJF because you don't jump out the window singing every time he completes a pass. You can be objective and not be SOJF...You realize that right?

Sent from the NY Jets Training Camp Suicide Watch desk.

It pure SOJF to think if your rookie has a string of good practices and then is up and down in a scrimmage therefore he sucks, isnt ready to start, etc, etc.

I'm shocked the same people didnt blame Saleh, LaFleur etc like they blame Gase for Darnold sucking.  When will they start blaming the CS?

Oh yeah and of course the Johnsons, they're to blame for a bad glorified practice performance in week one of August.

Its like no one has watched the NFL before.

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Patrick Mahomes vs. TB (without an O-Line).

• 26/49 (53.0%). 

• 270 passing yards (5.51 yards per pass attempt).

• 0 TDs. 

• 2 INTs. 

• 3 x sacked. 

• Only 9 points scored (3 FGs).

√ QB Rating of only 52.3 (atrocious).

How Patrick Mahomes looked vs. The Buccaneers Defense because of a depleted and crap O-Lineman? Is how he would've always looked as a Jets QB if drafted into Maccagnan's atrocious O-Line. 

I always told people for years on end who called the Jamal Adams a bad pick, that if drafted by NYJ Patrick Mahomes would've looked like complete crap; and his crap performance (one of the worst I've ever seen) against TB imo proved me right. 

No. Mahomes would've never won a SB if drafted by Maccagnan. No. Mahomes would've never made an All-Pro team if drafted into our atrocious O-Line. No. Patrick Mahomes would've never had a winning season if drafted as a Jet. And no, Patrick Mahomes would've never returned us back two 1st round draft picks (because he would've looked like KC vs. TB crap). 

Mahomes went to QB heaven with Andy Reid, Kelce, Tyreek Hill, Sammy Watkins and more importantly an A+ O-Line full of nothing but Pro Bowl and All-Pro O-linemen.

If drafted into NY (back then) he would've immediately been drafted into O-Line and QB hell. 

That game against TB (behind an injury depleted and absolute crapfest O-Line) is a perfect example of who he "would've been as a Jet" and all the "arm talent" in the world wouldn't have been able to save him (awesome QB though and an amazing talent nonetheless).

So what are the excuses going to be for Zach?

Gase is out of the picture 

He’s got weapons 

The Jets invested into the OL

• Thumb Down 3

4 minutes ago, DannyDevito3 said:

He’s got weapons 

I think you'll find that no one is making or looking to make mistakes.  Hes a friggen rookie, hes going to have a rough time along with the good days.  How ridiculous is it to make these same stupid comment every time we bring in rookie QBs, DT, OL etc?  

Its like you people have never watched NFL football and have no idea what your looking at 

• Sympathy 4

13 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Jittery on a check down, bad pass. Last pass into triple coverage into the EZ. Not much to go off of here, but the game looks fast for him right now. 

That last throw was straight up, Sam Darnold with the #2 jersey on.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Jittery on a check down, bad pass. Last pass into triple coverage into the EZ. Not much to go off of here, but the game looks fast for him right now. 

Hard to focus on the play with the Macho Man Randy Savage voice-over.

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

I think you'll find that no one is making or looking to make mistakes.  Hes a friggen rookie, hes going to have a rough time along with the good days.  How ridiculous is it to make these same stupid comment every time we bring in rookie QBs, DT, OL etc?  

Its like you people have never watched NFL football and have no idea what your looking at 

Or we’re sick of crappy offenses and lying about what we’re seeing? 

You constantly make excuses. The Jets need Wilson to play well out of the gate. That’s why they drafted him. If the transition to BYU to league is overwhelming him then the Jets should have better planned for that.

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 2
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

It pure SOJF to think if your rookie has a string of good practices and then is up and down in a scrimmage therefore he sucks, isnt ready to start, etc, etc.

I'm shocked the same people didnt blame Saleh, LaFleur etc like they blame Gase for Darnold sucking.  When will they start blaming the CS?

Oh yeah and of course the Johnsons, they're to blame for a bad glorified practice performance in week one of August.

Its like no one has watched the NFL before.

Reading is fundamental.....I said lets wait until he has has a string of good practices before we put him in canton....and he didnt have a string of good practices. He had good ones and bad ones. I never said anything about him sucking.....that is just your made up nonsense. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

or...........maybe people say the same things and put the rookie qb in the pro-bowl every time we draft one. roght out the gate in training camp he is the greatest thing since sliced bread. You have been around long enough to know this is true.

happened with sammy boy

happened with the sanchize

I'm sure you saw the same "he is going to lead us to 10 superbowls" post that I saw during training camp. That in fact is the most SOJF behavior on here. We decide every rookie we draft is going to light the league on fire prior to them every playing a game and even if their play in training camp is up and down. 

puleease.....let's just see what he does first. 

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, BillsFanBurner said:

Brady was unprecedented. Rodgers was unprecedented. Mahomes was unprecedented. Herbert was unprecedented. I don't know where this narrative about Allen came from, but most successful QBs had to buck a few trends to get there.

I'm not really sure I agree with any level of this analysis. Obviously your circumstances need to be unusual in order to be truly great but being undervalued during the draft evaluation process isn't the same as what we're talking about with Allen.

Jets fans will keep hoping last year was just an anomaly but he's had a great offseason and the offense has apparently picked up right where it left off. With a full season with Diggs now under his belt the passing offense could be even better this year. There's nothing to indicate last year was a flash in the pan. And of course many QBs haven't had that arc - very very few people ever enter the realm of top 10 QBs, let alone top 5. If Wilson wants to get there he will have to work as hard as Allen did.

I'm not saying last year was a flash in the pan and I wouldn't at all be surprised if he built on last year. I'm just saying it's not a given and I don't anoint players after one good season.

2 hours ago, Matt39 said:

You constantly make excuses. The Jets need Wilson to play well out of the gate. That’s why they drafted him. If the transition to BYU to league is overwhelming him then the Jets should have better planned for that.

NO!.  The Jets drafted Wilson to become the Jets franchise QB. That takes 3 years for a rookie QB.  This is a 2-14 team with a completely new CS and a revamped roster. What happens out of the gate is not important at all.  This is the thinking from fans and reporters that makes the scheduling of the Carolina game as game 1 so bad.  Everybody puts such disproportionate impact on the right now and not the building of the team.  If Buffalo fans and the coaching staff had the same view with Josh Allen, they would have moved on after 2018 and surely after 2019.  Don't be so myopic.

• Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, jetspenguin said:

or...........maybe people say the same things and put the rookie qb in the pro-bowl every time we draft one. roght out the gate in training camp he is the greatest thing since sliced bread. You have been around long enough to know this is true.

happened with sammy boy

happened with the sanchize

I'm sure you saw the same "he is going to lead us to 10 superbowls" post that I saw during training camp. That in fact is the most SOJF behavior on here. We decide every rookie we draft is going to light the league on fire prior to them every playing a game and even if their play in training camp is up and down. 

puleease.....let's just see what he does first. 

That's not SOJ.  That's denial.  I'm in my late 60's, if I focused on the fact that I'm probably going to be dead in less than 20 years I might want to put a gun in my mouth and end it today.  Instead I'm pretty certain I'm immortal and I'm focussed on having a good time, being happy and enjoying the ride.

I prefer to live by the immortal words of a convicted felon who was the former VP of the USA, Spiro Agnew.

"In the United States today, we have more than our share of the nattering nabobs of negativism. They have formed their own 4-H Club - the 'hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history."

Acting like you're being pragmatic and realistic is full on SOJ. The time to be wildly optimistic for a fan is always...  The time to be a nattering nabob of negativism is after you've had the last dying breath crushed out of your lungs.  

Zach is 22.  He can play into his 40's.  10 SB's is very achievable. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

NO!.  The Jets drafted Wilson to become the Jets franchise QB. That takes 3 years for a rookie QB.  

I agree with most of what you said, except for the 3 year window comment. That’s an arbitrarily made up number with nothing to be based upon.

In my opinion this was something no one here believed or said until Sam played years one and two. “ He needs time to throw…” “he needs weapons” yeah, he did, but the Jets refused to believe what their eyes were showing them as far as his ability.

I’m guessing you’re old enough to remember the days when a team might sit a QB 4 years and let him learn, but those days are long gone now. Teams might sit a highly drafted QB a few weeks now, but once they hit the field, they’re expected to perform at a level which justifies where they were taken.

If your team or fan base thinks they need 3 years to know what they have in their young QB, they either don’t know what they’re looking at, or they’re afraid to admit they made a mistake…

7 hours ago, DannyDevito3 said:

He’s got weapons 

Who's making excuses? If you had expectations that Zach was going to eclipse Namath's and Fitzpatrick's records then maybe you need to temper them. I do expect Zach to improve throughout the season, whether his improvements results into wins remain to be seen.

I am getting the impression that you believe he should be all world every time he steps on the field, if that is the case you lack the basic knowledge of player development. 

• Sympathy 1

On 8/7/2021 at 10:02 PM, Rhg1084 said:

This whole franchise is based on this kids success .. if he sucks we’re back to square one 

So, what QB are we drafting with the second pick of 2022?

If Saleh’s a one and done coaching regime, could it mean LaFleur is the next coach? If so, what QB would he want?

On second thought, he’ll probably disappoint too. When does Peyton’s relative become draft eligible? 

Ahhh, the imponderables.

9 hours ago, Matt39 said:

What I would ask of anyone with this particular view point is what have you seen from Wilson that you think is abnormal for someone in his stage of development.   I am open to being convinced.  

The biggest gap on these debates to me seem to be what someone defines as an excuse versus context.  

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

What I would ask of anyone with this particular view point is what have you seen from Wilson that you think is abnormal for someone in his stage of development.   I am open to being convinced.  

The biggest gap on these debates to me seem to be what someone defines as an excuse versus context.  

The 11 on 11 sets have seemed non competitive. 5 seconds to get rid of the ball in 7's is alarming. For a kid who never took a real big hit in college, throwing him out there in a full contact game where he's not in a red jersey if he isnt ready...he could get killed. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Nothing unreasonable here 

12 hours ago, Matt39 said:

No, I'm just smart enough to know that crappy offenses under Rex, Bowles and Gase have nothing to do with this CS.  That Sanchez, Fitz, Geno, etc have nothing to do with Zach Wilson.  So yes, we're all sick of those offenses that sucked but what does it have to do with today?  And who lied?  About what?  

They dont need Wilson to play well right out of the gate, they need him to keep improving as the season goes on.  No one has lied, the couple of practices he struggled, Saleh said he struggled.  The scrimmage, he said he struggled.  Hes a rookie, anyone who has watched this game shouldnt be shocked every time a rookie QB with 0 games and a week of practice time has a rough time of it

• Upvote 1