Jamal Adams wants to be the NFL’s highest-paid safety. Should the Seahawks pay that much?

addage

From the Seattle Times...

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/jamal-adams-wants-to-be-the-nfls-highest-paid-safety-should-the-seahawks-pay-that-much/

The Conclusion:

Wrapping up Adams (not to mention left tackle Duane Brown) seemed like a foregone conclusion before training camp began. The thought was that, while he might not participate the first few days, he would almost certainly ink an extension that would get him on the field before the first preseason game. 

Now, as my co-worker Bob Condotta noted, there might be a tinge of doubt as to whether that extension will come to fruition. And that doubt is likely causing more than a tinge of anxiety among the Seahawks’ faithful. 

Perhaps all this speculation will look ridiculous in a few days. There was some brief doubt as to whether the Seahawks would sign quarterback Russell Wilson to a longtime extension, which seems absurd at the moment.

But the fact remains that Adams doesn’t yet have what he wants: A contract giving him more dough than any other safety in football. And the Seahawks might not have the answer to this question: Does he deserve that?

Seattle Media is very respectful.  So this is the first chink in the armor that I have seen regarding the trade.  Seattle can be pretty tough in their contract negotiations.  Will be interesting to see how it all turns out.

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 5

5 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

They've got to pay him. They really have no other option.

They can not trade away two 1st round picks and lose him for absolutely nothingness. 

They will get their 3 years out of him and then let him walk smartly.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

They will get their 3 years out of him and then let him walk smartly.

Well I hope he holdouts all of 2021 on Seattle because we've got their 1st round pick and I couldn't care less what any Jamal Adams critic says about him but Seattle's Defense is not "better" without him. 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

So...

Which NCAA players are you hoping to draft with Jamal's pick from Seattle? 

I want to draft Tyler Linderbaum the #1 rated Center out of Iowa with his pick in order to create a JD O-line trio of Mekhi Becton (LT), Alijah Vera-Tucker (LG) and Tyler Linderbaum (C). 

Jamal Adams = Alijah Vera-Tucker (LG) and Tyler Linderbaum (C)? Sign me up. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Dcat said:

tag him for next year if you simply have to have him for cosmetic appearance.  Probably the worst NFL trade in the last 10 years, maybe since the turn of the century.  Tag him next year to save face and then then let him go. He isn't worth anything close to what he wants.

How can they tag him next year when hes refusing to play this year unless he gets a monster contract?

They either have to make him the highest paid safety in the league or trade him.  The tag next year isnt an option cause they cant get to it w/o doing 1 of the 2 things I mentioned now.

I know he trashed all of Adam Gase, JD and the Johnsons on his way out etc but I'd still love to see JD and Woody become forgiving and bring him back home. 

Could you imagine the Jets not only receiving two 1st round draft picks + Jamal Adams only 2 years later? It would force the NFL to make rule changes to Free Agency ?

Robert Saleh. 

Quinnen Williams. 

Carl Lawson. 

C.J. Mosley. 

Marcus Maye. 

Jamal Adams. 

With Zach Wilson on a rookie contract?

That's a disgusting Defense. 

And I couldn't imagine both Jamal Adams and Hamsah Nasirildeen on the same field together. 

• Thumb Down 1

9 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

Other than Brady, with his $500 million wife and his TB12 money laundering operation,  what NFL player does not want top dollar?  

I love this false narrative that Brady has been some saint playing for peanuts all these years.  He restructures to help his ball club, but hes getting every penny he can and never shorts himself.

Tom Brady is making $42 million dollars from the Bucs this year.  

And people will still post hes some martyr.  

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

They've got to pay him. They really have no other option.

They can not trade away two 1st round picks and lose him for absolutely nothingness. 

No they don’t. He’s under contract this year and he can show up or start to get fined. Same thing next year, they can slap the tag on him and he can either play or be fined again. Same thing the year after that. His so-called leverage is imaginary. If the Seahawks front office doesn’t believe in it, it doesn’t exist. And they shouldn’t believe in it; they actually hold all the cards. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

56 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

I love this false narrative that Brady has been some saint playing for peanuts all these years.  He restructures to help his ball club, but hes getting every penny he can and never shorts himself.

Tom Brady is making $42 million dollars from the Bucs this year.  

And people will still post hes some martyr.  

Definitely not a false narrative.  His being paid less than market for most of his 20+ year career is a known entity.  Some of it could be genuine desire to win. But I believe a lot of it runs thru his TB12 scam and the fact that he married someone with a net worth close to half a billion $$

Tom Brady Gave up $60 Million to Keep Patriots Competitive (businessinsider.com)

• Upvote 2

Tom brady has a 2 year 50 million dollar contract right now.  Hes getting 42 mil this year.  And hes got postseason incentives too.  Do u think hes playing for 8 next year?

No, there will be more restricting, moving money around and he will get 45 next year.

This is what he has done his whole career.  And hes fooled the public w/ this shenanigans.

Hes getting every cent he can and has been for years.  He has never done this “taking less” nonsense that the media makes u think.

13 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Tom brady has a 2 year 50 million dollar contract right now.  Hes getting 42 mil this year.  And hes got postseason incentives too.  Do u think hes playing for 8 next year?

No, there will be more restricting, moving money around and he will get 45 next year.

This is what he has done his whole career.  And hes fooled the public w/ this shenanigans.

Hes getting every cent he can and has been for years.  He has never done this “taking less” nonsense that the media makes u think.

It's a proven 100% fact he's always agreed to take less than what he could've been given. 

Why wouldn't he?

The money he left behind for N.E to give to other players in order to help his team win SBs he easily made back throughout multiple endorsements and off the field contracts.

• Upvote 2

Here is the issue for Jamal.

2021 is $9,860,000

Francise tag is $11,119.000

Franchise tag #2 would be  13, 345,200

Franchise tag #3 would be 19,347,000

So roughly 4 years for $54,000,000 or an average of $13,500,000

Justin Simmons makes 15,250,000 a year but only 35,000,000 guaranteed. 

So there is no incentive at all for Seattle much above Simmons. They own him for 4 years and don'T need to worry about injury that mcuh.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

Here is the issue for Jamal.

2021 is $9,860,000

Francise tag is $11,119.000

Franchise tag #2 would be  13, 345,200

Franchise tag #3 would be 19,347,000

So roughly 4 years for $54,000,000 or an average of $13,500,000

Justin Simmons makes 15,250,000 a year but only 35,000,000 guaranteed. 

So there is no incentive at all for Seattle much above Simmons. They own him for 4 years and don'T need to worry about injury that much.

In theory, yes, Seattle can do everything you list above.  But Adams will shoot his way out of town long before they start tagging him, let alone 3x.

Sure, Seattle could stand firm and Adams would rack up fines.  But nearly every NFL player who has ever demanded a trade and/or caused issues like Adams is capable of has ended up getting traded.  

If Seattle can’t come to terms with Adams this offseason, I think he ends up getting traded no later than the 2022 offseason.  

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

In theory, yes, Seattle can do everything you list above.  But Adams will shoot his way out of town long before they start tagging him, let alone 3x.

Sure, Seattle could stand firm and Adams would rack up fines.  But nearly every NFL player who has ever demanded a trade and/or caused issues like Adams is capable of has ended up getting traded.  

If Seattle can’t come to terms with Adams this offseason, I think he ends up getting traded no later than the 2022 offseason.  

What team in their right mind is going to trade for this cancer? They would have to negotiate a contract upfront and Seattle is going to get pennies on the dollar in trade value… 

13 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

If he does that I think it would ruin his brand. People will start talking about the stuff he can’t do rather than the stuff he can do. Once that happens he’ll be looked at like what he is. A box safety who really can’t cover. 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

How can they tag him next year when hes refusing to play this year unless he gets a monster contract?

They either have to make him the highest paid safety in the league or trade him.  The tag next year isnt an option cause they cant get to it w/o doing 1 of the 2 things I mentioned now.

He's under contract. (5th year option exercised per CBA).   He has to show up or he forfeits ginormous amounts of money.  Or he can be the next Lev Bell and screw his career right now.  If the Seahawks don't flinch, he will show up after a modest amount of missed days fines.  The Seahawks will probably cave in to save face, but my point is they don't have to.  5th year option this year and tagged for 2022  or traded to yet another stupid team.

• Upvote 2