Jamal Adams wants to be the NFL’s highest-paid safety. Should the Seahawks pay that much?

addage

6 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

In theory, yes, Seattle can do everything you list above.  But Adams will shoot his way out of town long before they start tagging him, let alone 3x.

Sure, Seattle could stand firm and Adams would rack up fines.  But nearly every NFL player who has ever demanded a trade and/or caused issues like Adams is capable of has ended up getting traded.  

If Seattle can’t come to terms with Adams this offseason, I think he ends up getting traded no later than the 2022 offseason.  

they can't just trade him after this season.  Technically he will be an UFA after 2021 unless they tag him.  Tag and trade?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

It’s funny how Jamal went from wanting to be the highest paid defensive player, then the highest paid safety.   If he was smart, which clearly he isn’t, he should have signed a fair market deal last year prior to the season and then looked to re-do the deal after this season, sort of like Xavien  Howard did.   Jamal’s problem now is that his play on the field is getting even more exposed in Seattle.   

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

I know he trashed all of Adam Gase, JD and the Johnsons on his way out etc but I'd still love to see JD and Woody become forgiving and bring him back home. 

Let’s ignore Adams  pluses and limitations in any defense system JD & Saleh are not only trying to  build a perennial playoff  team they are also trying to build a culture and a player with Adams personality is not compatible with what they are trying to accomplish especially with the roster being so young with impressionable kids don’t want this guy anywhere near these kids No way this happens 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 5

7 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

In theory, yes, Seattle can do everything you list above.  But Adams will shoot his way out of town long before they start tagging him, let alone 3x.

Sure, Seattle could stand firm and Adams would rack up fines.  But nearly every NFL player who has ever demanded a trade and/or caused issues like Adams is capable of has ended up getting traded.  

If Seattle can’t come to terms with Adams this offseason, I think he ends up getting traded no later than the 2022 offseason.  

Does Adams have the same "bullets" to shoot his way out of town as he did last time?

The Jets won't pay him, sure, Jets are cheap and in a rebuild.  But, now your on your second team, and they won't pay him, and they're a competitor, and his pass protection was a liability and ultimately played a huge roll in knocking them out of the playoffs.

There are many teams who I'm sure would be happy to have what Jamal Adams brings to the table, but will teams line up for that, and give him what he wants?  Hard to imagine many.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

They cant trade him in the offseason without the tag, so at minimum they will do the first tag. But Adams might hold out this year. With his behavior and people sort of realizing that he is not as valuable as he thinks he is, not sure Seattle will get much for him in a trade. I don't expect Adams to become reasonable so Seattle may just cave because of what they gave up for him. Even without the draft picks I am sort of glad he is someone else's issue.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Does Detroit need a safety. I would enjoy seeing Jamal and Campbell together. LIke a cartoon.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

It’s funny how Jamal went from wanting to be the highest paid defensive player, then the highest paid safety.   If he was smart, which clearly he isn’t, he should have signed a fair market deal last year prior to the season and then looked to re-do the deal after this season, sort of like Xavien  Howard did.   Jamal’s problem now is that his play on the field is getting even more exposed in Seattle.   

On the one hand, he is a great pass rusher.  The problem is, if you are rushing a Safety most of the time, you are probably going to be forced to be in a nickel defense or else you only have 3 guys back there and a good QB should be able to exploit that.   It's an interesting experiment in positionless defense that I'm glad another team is running.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, johnnysd said:

They cant trade him in the offseason without the tag, so at minimum they will do the first tag. But Adams might hold out this year. With his behavior and people sort of realizing that he is not as valuable as he thinks he is, not sure Seattle will get much for him in a trade. I don't expect Adams to become reasonable so Seattle may just cave because of what they gave up for him. Even without the draft picks I am sort of glad he is someone else's issue.

Can someone explain to me how seattle is going to tag Jamal next year when hes never playing for them again unless he has a new long term deal.

Jamal Addams and the tag has 0 opportunity of happening.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

What team in their right mind is going to trade for this cancer? They would have to negotiate a contract upfront and Seattle is going to get pennies on the dollar in trade value… 

There's always one.  I was dead wrong in predicting what we'd get back in a trade for Adams, for instance.  Never thought a team like Seattle would be dumb enough to trade a Khalil Mack-esque package of picks or anything close to it.

Will Seattle get back anything near two 1sts and a 3rd when moving him to his 3rd team?  Very unlikely.  But I think they can get a 1st and maybe some change from someone.  There's always a sucker out there. 

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Except he was traded last year and how the Seahawks perform in 2021 directly impacts us.

That's a thin excuse for a 2-years gone player to be topping our topic-list on the eve of the first week of Pre-Season under a new Coach and a new Franchise QB, along with a dozen new key players.

Folks are obviously free to talk about what they want, same as I am free to lament the deep rooted Ex-Jet Obsession Syndrome (tm) that seemingly runs rampant in our collective fanbase.

5 hours ago, Dcat said:

they can't just trade him after this season.  Technically he will be an UFA after 2021 unless they tag him.  Tag and trade?

Yes, that's what I'm thinking.  And I guess the team they're trading him to would have to negotiate a new deal prior to the trade being finalized.

Not easy at all, but it can be done.  

4 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

Still a chance he gets the $18M+ per that he's seeking out of Seattle.  I'm not going to call him dumb prematurely.  A narcissistic loudmouth baby and fake tough guy?  You betcha.  Dumb?  Perhaps, but don't write that in ink until this all plays out.

• Sympathy 1

29 minutes ago, nycdan said:

On the one hand, he is a great pass rusher.  The problem is, if you are rushing a Safety most of the time, you are probably going to be forced to be in a nickel defense or else you only have 3 guys back there and a good QB should be able to exploit that.   It's an interesting experiment in positionless defense that I'm glad another team is running.

I'll stop you right there.  I wouldn't go throwing the word "great" around when it comes to his pass rushing abilities.  His 9.5 sacks aren't that impressive when you consider he blitzed 98 times (7th most in the league).  T.J. Watt had 15.0 sacks on 91 blitzes, for comparison purposes.  Za'Darius Smith racked up 12.5 sacks on just 56 blitzes.  Adams is a very good pass rusher, yes.  Great, absolutely not.

The rest of your post is spot on.  Also tack on the additional problem that sending an undersized WLB after the QB all the time tends to get a player hurt.  Like Adams has the last 2 seasons, missing 6 games as a direct result of all his pass-rushing attempts.  

Jamal will just continue to sit back and do nothing until Seattle pays him.  He is in the drivers seat.  Wait till he starts missing games.  Seattle will look like the biggest fools in football and will cave and give him whatever he wants.

Jamal and his agent are in the best position any player/agent could possibley be in.  I cant think of a player who has had a more power position vs their team then adams does.

24 minutes ago, Warfish said:

That's a thin excuse for a 2-years gone player to be topping our topic-list on the eve of the first week of Pre-Season under a new Coach and a new Franchise QB, along with a dozen new key players.

Folks are obviously free to talk about what they want, same as I am free to lament the deep rooted Ex-Jet Obsession Syndrome (tm) that seemingly runs rampant in our collective fanbase.

There are 35 threads on the first page of the forum -- one is about Adams. That's the same number of threads dedicated to the Bills moving to Austin, the Jets signing of Edmond Robinson, and the Canadian Football League.

Of course Jets fans will always want to discuss Adams, the trade, and the ultimate outcome of what happened. He was a top 6 pick who forced his way off the team, netted us two firsts that will (hopefully) be a foundational part of a great era of Jets football. It's legitimately an important part of Jets history.

And even if it's just Jets fans having a laugh -- why do you care so much? Why even click on the thread?  

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Why even click on the thread?  

To express my opinion on the existence of this topic and Adams more-or-less-constant residency at the top of the front page of this forum since his departure, obviously.

Why did you click reply rather than ignore me?  Seems we both like expressing opinions on others opinions.

P.S. I wouldn't call a quick 20-word lolpost as "caring so much" either, just say'in.

• Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

To express my opinion on the existence of this topic and Adams more-or-less-constant residency at the top of the front page of this forum since his departure, obviously.

Why did you click reply rather than ignore me?  Seems we both like expressing opinions on others opinions.

Because you're the one spamming a thread you're apparently not interested in, just like you do every single Adams thread and I'd prefer you stopped.

You would apparently prefer we all stopped talking about Adams, but that's clearly a losing battle.

6 hours ago, Warfish said:

I'm embarrassed that two years AFTER his trade, A Jamal thread is still a top-of-page topic on JN.

Embarrassed? We got two first round picks for trading a seemingly unsolvable problem in Adams' me-first nature. We should create sub-forum dedicated to all things Jamal.  

So...
Which NCAA players are you hoping to draft with Jamal's pick from Seattle? 
I want to draft Tyler Linderbaum the #1 rated Center out of Iowa with his pick in order to create a JD O-line trio of Mekhi Becton (LT), Alijah Vera-Tucker (LG) and Tyler Linderbaum ©. 
Jamal Adams = Alijah Vera-Tucker (LG) and Tyler Linderbaum ©? Sign me up. 

Yes you are spot on with that Tyler kid. At center

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Sympathy 1

Seattle is in great shape here.   They can offer Adams a reasonable 3 year guaranteed deal or have the option to franchise him the next 2 years.   The extra they would pay in year 3 is offset by their not having to lay out a large bonus today.   Maye is in a similar spot, except he did was not tied up in year 5, and I don't think that the Jets will franchise him next year.  

1 hour ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Because you're the one spamming a thread you're apparently not interested in, just like you do every single Adams thread and I'd prefer you stopped.

You would apparently prefer we all stopped talking about Adams, but that's clearly a losing battle.

Spamming? 

I wrote one very brief opinion, and everything else has been responding to your direct questions/comments.

Is that considered spamming now? :lol:

Yes, personally I would prefer our topics be about the Jets, and our Safeties.  Adams talk is Seattle Fan talk, we're not Seattle Fans (IMO).

Talk next offseason about our pick, definitely cool as well.  Next offseason.

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

P.S. I wouldn't call a quick 20-word lolpost as "caring so much" either, just say'in.

Well said @Warfish

I was one of the biggest Jamal Adams fans but guess what?

You don't see me creating threads about him anymore and why?

Because I think getting two 1st round picks was pretty awesome in return. 

It's sad. So many fans were making fun of Seattle's Defense last year without even realizing that A.) Our Jets Defense was even worse and B.) Fell off a 2020 cliff without him in comparison to 2019 and C.) We had no pass rush outside of QW of whatsoever. 

In closing what I find really weird is how so many fans continue to talk about "Jamal Adams" but yet aren't talking about the 2022 1st round draft pick from Seattle that they'd like to see JD draft. 

Like. Let it go already.... He's yesterday's old news.