Should Matt Lafluer consider calling the game from the sideline?

Saleh mentioned that having LaFluer in the booth was something that Zach needed to adjust to. 

I then realized something. With Knapps tragic accident who exactly is Wilson supposed to go to on the sideline? Mike White? James Morgan?

Schotty and Gase called games from the sideline so it can be done. 

• Thumb Down 3
  • WTF? 1

4 minutes ago, DannyDevito3 said:

Saleh mentioned that having LaFluer in the booth was something that Zach needed to adjust to. 

I then realized something. With Knapps tragic accident who exactly is Wilson supposed to go to on the sideline? Mike White? James Morgan?

Should new accounts be banned from starting threads

• Upvote 6
  • Thumb Down 2
  • Sympathy 1

13 minutes ago, Lith said:

From what I read last night, Lafleur plans to call games from the booth, which is the way it was done for Wilson at BYU.  Rob Calabrese is with him on the sideline.  I think it was in Connor Hughes column that I read that.

This is correct. Calabrese is the qb coach.  That is all zach needs on the sidelines.

• Upvote 1

this is a question after the first scrimmage?  imo a little early.  they just replaced knapp and lafleur is a newbie offensive coordiinator.  of course there are going to be issues until both the team and coaches learn how to play together.  if they still have an issue after the 2nd pre season game then it could be a problem.

12 hours ago, DannyDevito3 said:

Maybe he should go to his QB coach.

You do realize that Knapp wasnt his QB coach.  No one seems to realize what his position was

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Gibby said:

I will tell you this, I have ten years of coaching experience albeit not at the pro level. It is extremely difficult calling a game at field level from a perspective view standpoint. You can see way more from a Birdseye view for sure. There have even been times when I have sent my assistant coaches into the top row of the stands to get a look on whether the team was pulling the guard, on offense or  running stunts on the d- line etc to get better execution in our gaps and line calls.

Its also much easier to watch the zone or man coverage or if they’re disguising coverage in the secondary. 

I am fairly certain most if not all the good offensive would prefer to call a game from upstairs.

Makes sense

Hmmm...I think if we went out and brought in a promising new coaching staff we should probably let them coach the way they want to.

I am sure that with the loss of a key coach the team will work out an effective method of communication.  Who knows?  Maybe he will do some coaching from the sidelines.

For a first time play caller the booth is a better place to call from.  It’s less chaotic than the sidelines.   Calabrese will be there to handle the tablet review after each drive.  Not going to be an issue.  Plus, LaFleur is in Zach’s ear on the radio before each play.  

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Gibby said:

I will tell you this, I have ten years of coaching experience albeit not at the pro level. It is extremely difficult calling a game at field level from a perspective view standpoint. You can see way more from a Birdseye view for sure. There have even been times when I have sent my assistant coaches into the top row of the stands to get a look on whether the team was pulling the guard, on offense or  running stunts on the d- line etc to get better execution in our gaps and line calls.

Its also much easier to watch the zone or man coverage or if they’re disguising coverage in the secondary. 

I am fairly certain most if not all the good offensive would prefer to call a game from upstairs.

100% the booth is a better view for calling games, the only time I have had experience with the OC calling the game from the sidelines is when either I went into the booth to help with information or we had someone upstairs that was excellent at getting all relevant info down to the OC on the field. 

Regardless they need a good team of guys working together, I have heard really good things about Rob Calabrese so hopefully he's a good sounding board on the sideline.  The only worry I have is without Knapp, we do not have that senior sounding board for Lafleur during stretches of games where you may need that experience. 

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, DannyDevito3 said:

The problem is they both were horrible playcallers.