Joe Douglas learned his lesson from the 2020 draft, and didn't make the same mistakes in 2021

The biggest reason why I feel that Joe Douglas is now becoming a great GM, is due to the fact that he learns from his mistakes and doesn't repeat them.

In 2020, Joe felt the need to trade the 2nd round pick for more draft picks, and moved way down about 19 spots in the second round.  Every Jets fan knew that the team needed a big-time receiver, but instead of taking the best available wide receiver in round 2, he moved down and had to settle for Denzel Mims.

The question we all need to ask ourselves is, "Was Mims the Jets highest rated wide-receiver on the board early on in the 2nd round, that slipped to them 19 spots later?"   From what we see now, the answer is no.  And if Mims was the best wide receiver on their board at the time, then the scouts for the Jets who made that call should be fired.  The top Wide receivers picked after the jets slot in the 2nd round until they picked Mims was: Laviska Shenalt, KJ Hammier, Chase Claypool. If JD could of traded up a couple spots in the 2nd round, he could have gotten Tee Higgins or Michael Pittman.

This year in 2021, Joe refused calls from other teams to move down, instead he either stayed put, or moved up to get the player at the top of their list.  They had their sights on Zach Wilson at #2, and took him.  He sold the #23 pick plus two 3rd round picks to get the left guard that they wanted.  He resisted calls for the Jets high 2nd round pick, and got Elijah Moore in the 2nd round.

It is clear to me based on this years strategy that Joe must have felt that he made mistakes in the 2020 draft, and would not repeat those mistakes in 2021.  By learning from last year, I feel that Joe Douglas has clearly elevated himself as a much better GM, and I feel that he is only going to get better.

If you go by the early results of Wilson, Vera Tucker and Moore, then his trajectory is facing up.

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, slats said:

Yeah, I’ve been saying this since the Moore pick. It was a clear shift from his first year especially after trading away his third round picks for AVT- and one that looks like it’s gonna pay dividends. Ditto with Carter I. He didn’t trade down until the fifth round when his plan was simply to compile bodies on defense and he wanted more picks to do that. 

And I agree.  Trading down in the lower rounds to compile more bodies was not a bad idea.  In the first 3 rounds, you draft your future stars.  Imagine if JD had the acumen in 2020 that he did in 2021?  Perhaps he would have traded up got ourselves one of the great wide receivers.  Imagine if they would have traded their Zuniga pick, our Cameron Clarke pick or our Captain Morgan pick to trade up?   We wouldn't have missed any of these guys.  Clearly, at least to me, Joe Douglas has learned his lesson.

• Upvote 1

I felt like the problem with his first draft was his "take a little bit of everything" approach.  He should have doubled down at WR and OL in the first three rounds, then start playing the BPA game or start spreading the picks around in the 4th round+. There were good OL and WR prospects available in the third, and both were urgent needs.

Now, he went right back to OL and WR at the top of this draft, so that is good. 

3 thoughts;

1.  You havent seen the 2021 class play a single snap in the NFL.  It's great Moore sounds like a star in the making, it's another thing to see it actually play out on the Football field.  Moore has 3 very strong cons working against him for him to overcome, he's a rookie WR catching balls from another rookie who is more than likely way over his skies and they both are playing for a rookie coaching staff including an OC who has never called a single play in the NFL.   Not a good recipe to set the league on fire.

2.  What do we really know about the 20 class?  It was a wonky year with an abbreviated offseason and have of the class was injured all through camp/season.  You also had by far, bar none, the worst coaching staff in the entire league who were literally known for stunting player development only for those players to realize their potential once breaking away from that staff.  As much as people want to bash Mims, while playing on the worst offense in the league with the worst QB in the league, do a quick comparison to the first WR off the board.  Henry Ruggs caught 3 more passes then him last year on a much better team with a SB winning HC and a top 10 (statistically) QB.

3. In regards to JD's drafting, there are so many variables and decisions that come into place, it's impossible to know what he was thinking or being offered, etc. but I will disagree with you in that, I highly doubt he felt he failed last year and feels that book has been written on that draft class. 

• Upvote 3

I think the biggest change from drafting in 2020 to 2021 is that Douglas has schemes to draft for and the positions those schemes prioritize and the way they want to play align with Douglas’ general philosophies on team building.

• Upvote 3
2 hours ago, JiFapono said:

3 thoughts;

1.  You havent seen the 2021 class play a single snap in the NFL.  It's great Moore sounds like a star in the making, it's another thing to see it actually play out on the Football field.  Moore has 3 very strong cons working against him for him to overcome, he's a rookie WR catching balls from another rookie who is more than likely way over his skies and they both are playing for a rookie coaching staff including an OC who has never called a single play in the NFL.   Not a good recipe to set the league on fire.

2.  What do we really know about the 20 class?  It was a wonky year with an abbreviated offseason and have of the class was injured all through camp/season.  You also had by far, bar none, the worst coaching staff in the entire league who were literally known for stunting player development only for those players to realize their potential once breaking away from that staff.  As much as people want to bash Mims, while playing on the worst offense in the league with the worst QB in the league, do a quick comparison to the first WR off the board.  Henry Ruggs caught 3 more passes then him last year on a much better team with a SB winning HC and a top 10 (statistically) QB.

3. In regards to JD's drafting, there are so many variables and decisions that come into place, it's impossible to know what he was thinking or being offered, etc. but I will disagree with you in that, I highly doubt he felt he failed last year and feels that book has been written on that draft class. 

There are a lot of things that we don't know, so I am making observations on what we do know.

We do know that Mims is currently running with the 3rd team, we know that based upon what we were able to see last year, the Jets felt compelled to make wide receiver a priority in free agency this year and in using the top of the 2nd round to pick up another wide receiver, as well as a second wide receiver in free agency.  That is what we do know.  We also know that Zuniga had a hard time getting on the field last year, and when he did, he disappeared.  We also know what JD gave up in draft capital when he traded out of the top of the 2nd round, and what he got back in return.  What he got back in return, and what he did with the return is still in question, and hopefully many of those questions will be answered by the end of this year.

Is the book on the 2020 draft written yet?  No, i agree with you on that.  But, this site is to discuss what we have seen so far, and you can take my opinion for what it is worth.  

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Alka said:

There are a lot of things that we don't know, so I am making observations on what we do know.

We do know that Mims is currently running with the 3rd team, we know that based upon what we were able to see last year, the Jets felt compelled to make wide receiver a priority in free agency this year and in using the top of the 2nd round to pick up another wide receiver, as well as a second wide receiver in free agency.  That is what we do know.  We also know that Zuniga had a hard time getting on the field last year, and when he did, he disappeared.  We also know what JD gave up in draft capital when he traded out of the top of the 2nd round, and what he got back in return.  What he got back in return, and what he did with the return is still in question, and hopefully many of those questions will be answered by the end of this year.

Is the book on the 2020 draft written yet?  No, i agree with you on that.  But, this site is to discuss what we have seen so far, and you can take my opinion for what it is worth.  

Right and I'm simply, discussing this topic with you.   lol

Mims has reportedly been working with all teams.  He's been reported with the 1's, 2's and 3's.  He's made plays in 11 on 11 with the first team.  They're trying to get him as many reps as they can when they do install days with the veterans and again, a lot of this is match up driven.  They want to see him vs. certain types of corners.  Saleh literally confirmed all of this in a presser.

I just dont think you can look at one draft and say definitively that JD took a different approach because of one thing or the other.  It's fluid, you cant control what happens in front of you in the draft.  JD out right admitted, he didnt think Moore would be there...so did he do the right thing by waiting?  Sure, because he got him but that wasnt guaranteed.  I think the signing of FA WR's is because they only had 2 proven players under contract, Crowder and Mims.  Davis and Cole were signed to give them flexibility entering the draft and Moore fell to them and since they had him rated highly, they took him because Crowder wasnt guaranteed and both him and Cole are on 1 year deals.

I have no idea what Zuniga has to do with any of this but I think the biggest challenge I'm having with drawing any conclusion from 1 draft approach to the other is that you havent seen the 2021 class play and you have seen the 2020 class play.  We could easily be talking about this in reverse in a year, especially if the #2 overall pick isnt good.

• Upvote 1
5 hours ago, Alka said:

The biggest reason why I feel that Joe Douglas is now becoming a great GM, is due to the fact that he learns from his mistakes and doesn't repeat them.

In 2020, Joe felt the need to trade the 2nd round pick for more draft picks, and moved way down about 19 spots in the second round.  Every Jets fan knew that the team needed a big-time receiver, but instead of taking the best available wide receiver in round 2, he moved down and had to settle for Denzel Mims.

The question we all need to ask ourselves is, "Was Mims the Jets highest rated wide-receiver on the board early on in the 2nd round, that slipped to them 19 spots later?"   From what we see now, the answer is no.  And if Mims was the best wide receiver on their board at the time, then the scouts for the Jets who made that call should be fired.  The top Wide receivers picked after the jets slot in the 2nd round until they picked Mims was: Laviska Shenalt, KJ Hammier, Chase Claypool. If JD could of traded up a couple spots in the 2nd round, he could have gotten Tee Higgins or Michael Pittman.

This year in 2021, Joe refused calls from other teams to move down, instead he either stayed put, or moved up to get the player at the top of their list.  They had their sights on Zach Wilson at #2, and took him.  He sold the #23 pick plus two 3rd round picks to get the left guard that they wanted.  He resisted calls for the Jets high 2nd round pick, and got Elijah Moore in the 2nd round.

It is clear to me based on this years strategy that Joe must have felt that he made mistakes in the 2020 draft, and would not repeat those mistakes in 2021.  By learning from last year, I feel that Joe Douglas has clearly elevated himself as a much better GM, and I feel that he is only going to get better.

If you go by the early results of Wilson, Vera Tucker and Moore, then his trajectory is facing up.

Official Depth Chart released, both Mims and Moore are on the 2nd team, fyi

• Upvote 1

He actually made the same key mistake he made in year one.   That being not double dipping in a position of great need in a draft deep in that position.

In his first draft he made a huge error of not double dipping at WR.  Lots of very good Wr prospects from mid rounds.

He then did the same thing this year with oline.  He made the big move for AVT but last year had a lot of good oline prospects and he just skipped them all in favour of a whole bunch of secondary and LBs.

Heading into the draft I created a thread begging for QB/RB/WR/O-Line. 

I was laughed off the board by fans telling me JD would never in a million years go Offense 4x in a row. 

During the draft JD went QB/O-Line/WR/RB. 

Those fans laughing at me pre draft were wrong as wrong could be post draft  😂

QB: Zach Wilson. 

LG: Alijah Vera-Tucker. 

WR: Elijah Moore. 

RB: Michael Carter. 

Joe Douglas hit an Offensive Grand Slam.

(And stealing the defensive steal of the draft in Hamsah Nasirildeen out of FSU as a 1st round talent during the 6th round makes this an A+ draft until proven otherwise). 

and I'll tell you what, Jacksonville has already screwed Trevor Lawrence long term because passing on Elijah Moore with the 1st overall pick of the 2nd round (for an injury prone NCAA CB) was absolutely criminal. 

13 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

He actually made the same key mistake he made in year one.   That being not double dipping in a position of great need in a draft deep in that position.

In his first draft he made a huge error of not double dipping at WR.  Lots of very good Wr prospects from mid rounds.

He then did the same thing this year with oline.  He made the big move for AVT but last year had a lot of good oline prospects and he just skipped them all in favour of a whole bunch of secondary and LBs.

No mistakes were made. 

If he double dipped at WR last year we don't have Elijah Moore right now. 

Please tell me which 3rd/4th/5th round WR of last year who you would've taken over ELIJAH MOORE?!? 

And next year we've got two 1st round picks and two 2nd round picks to attack O-Line again and WR again (3 years in a row).

But please lets not call out JD for "lack of drafting O-Line and WR" when he's drafted as many 1st and 2nd round O-lineman and WR's during his only 2 drafts as the Jets have drafted since dating back to 2007 (O-Line) and 2002 (WR). 

In two years he's drafted as many 1st and 2nd round O-lineman (Becton/AVT) and WR (Mims/Elijah) than our previous GMs have drafted in 13 years (O-Line) and 17 years (WR) COMBINED. 

And he's also attacked both positions with Awesome FA additions in Corey Davis (WR) and Morgan Moses (RT). 

So what's there to complain about in regards to "O-Line" and "WR"?

1st round x2. 

2nd round x2. 

3rd round x1. 

4th round x2. 

(5 picks rounds 5-6). 

Top 5 available salary cap space. 

But yet you're GM bashing him for lack of double dipping?

29 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

I was laughed off the board by fans telling me JD would never in a million years go Offense 4x in a row. 

(And stealing the defensive steal of the draft in Hamsah Nasirildeen out of FSU as a 1st round talent during the 6th round makes this an A+ draft until proven otherwise). 

and I'll tell you what, Jacksonville has already screwed Trevor Lawrence long term because passing on Elijah Moore with the 1st overall pick of the 2nd round (for an injury prone NCAA CB) was absolutely criminal. 

How delicious.  Please bump these posts so we can laugh at these fans.

• Haha 1
12 minutes ago, Jetscode1 said:

How delicious.  Please bump these posts so we can laugh at these fans.

Nah. No one to laugh at. I've forgiven them. It's not their fault. Look at my username. Not since 1983 of 38 years ago (before I was born 1985) has our fan base ever witnessed a GM go offense back to back to back to back x4 with our first 4 picks. 

And to be truthful. I didn't believe it'll ever happen either. I was just hoping and wishing it would.

because I was 100% sure we were passing on an O- Lineman to take a D-Lineman 2nd pick of round 1 after the trade up. I was 100% sure we were passing on Elijah Moore to replace Jamal with a SS. And I was 100% sure we were drafting an LB because of Mosley concerns and passing on Michael Carter.

Etc. 

2 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

I was not one of those fans laughing at you.  I was in fact saying the exact same thing as you were. I agree with everything you said!

• Like 1
10 hours ago, derp said:

I think the biggest change from drafting in 2020 to 2021 is that Douglas has schemes to draft for and the positions those schemes prioritize and the way they want to play align with Douglas’ general philosophies on team building.

You know, I have read all the responses, and there are really a lot of great points that people are making here, but you make a point that I feel has not been talked about enough.  

With Gase, we all knew where the holes were, but there was no plan, no scheme to draft certain types of players, and therefore, JD was just trying to fill holes, instead of drafting players that fit into the system, since we were never sure exactly what the system was.

Your point is an excellent one!  I think you hit the nail on the head!