Jump to content

Training Camp Practice - 8/10


Joe W. Namath
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, kdels62 said:

Wilson and Crowder have lacked chemistry. The two picks at the scrimmage were targeting Crowder. They should improve together going forward.

One thing I've noticed about Zach, he truly doesn't seem to GAF about stepping back in after a mistake.   Hopefully he keeps that, its a quality that might be the most important for a Jets rookie QB.  

 

1 hour ago, kdels62 said:

Also I noticed at the scrimmage a healthy amount of blitzing, especially the nickel and FS. Blitzes out of sub packages are more common in Ulbrich’s defense than Saleh’s so we’ll see where it ends up.

Probably a formation problem then.  I hope they figure out the playbook soon, it's live bullets in a few days lol.  

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's obviously early, but when is the right time to start getting concerned about Douglas' top picks?

  • Mekhi Becton is getting schooled on a daily basis.
  • Denzel Mims is running with the 2s and 3s and making mental mistakes.
  • Zach Wilson is stacking "uneven" practices.
  • Vera-Tucker is injured.

The only player meeting expectations seems to be Elijah Moore.

There are alot of red flags whether people want to admit it or not.  Unless things turn around drastically, this is going to be another long, disappointing season.

  • Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, kdels62 said:

Wilson and Crowder have lacked chemistry. The two picks at the scrimmage were targeting Crowder. They should improve together going forward.

I am way behind the posts, but right when I read this that was my first thought.  Not a lot of mentions of Wilson to Crowder.  Needs to get a feel for his security blanket.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, DoubleDown said:

It's obviously early, but when is the right time to start getting concerned about Douglas' top picks?

  • Mekhi Becton is getting schooled on a daily basis.
  • Denzel Mims is running with the 2s and 3s and making mental mistakes.
  • Zach Wilson is stacking "uneven" practices.
  • Vera-Tucker is injured.

The only player meeting expectations seems to be Elijah Moore.

There are alot of red flags whether people want to admit it or not.  Unless things turn around drastically, this is going to be another long, disappointing season.

Cmon dude.....

avt got hurt it happens. Zach is 10 practices in his pro career. Becton, idk, im hoping we have a great d line

But way too early 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Skeptable said:

Becton is not built to defend players like Lawson... hence why he is 'schooled' everyday. He will be fine against most pass rushers. Mims was not built for this offense. He will be traded.

Zach Wilson is a rookie. making rookie problems like every other rookie QB in the league... Up and Down...

Vera-tucker is injured... you are correct... 

What about Austin? or Hall? The now starting duo of CBs on the team...

What about Davis calling plays on Def...

What about Rankins signing, Lawson signing, Joyner signing

How about getting Crowder to take a pay cut, Drafting MC, signing coleman, and continuously bringing in new OL to 'solve' the OL issue.

If you think this team is worse then the last two years you have not been paying attention.

 

Becton has to be able to win against every type of pass rusher, regardless of build. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, HighPitch said:

Cmon dude.....

avt got hurt it happens. Zach is 10 practices in his pro career. Becton, idk, im hoping we have a great d line

But way too early 

I fully admitted it's early.  I think it's a legitimate question to ask.  When is the right time to start getting concerned?

Almost every single first and second round pick by Douglas (and there are quite a few of them) is either not playing or playing below reasonable expectations.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’ve been enjoying a lot of the threads for some time now. A lot of great posters here with some WTF posters sprinkled in for added spice. I’ve decided to jump into the madness.

IMO, it’s way too early to make any judgment or conclusions on Zach Wilson. In his first two weeks practicing in the NFL he has been learning the new installs, experiencing the speed of the NFL while dealing with the DL generally making the backfield their playground. Has there ever been a rookie QB shine in the first two weeks of camp while playing with the 1s? Idk, just asking. From what I understand, Trevor is having his issues, and Justin and Trey have been playing with the 2s.

Now that the installs are complete, if Zach is going to develop into a good to great QB, I expect to see him make gradual improvement with rookie bumps in his performance. Because of his work ethic and passion to get better and for the game, I’m cautiously optimistic he will at least become a good quarterback. Here’s to hoping he does. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So I’m being a bit of a prick by saying this, but everyone keeps pointing back to Saturday with the term scrimmage and also implying it was slightly more important than other practices.

That thing Saturday, by all the accounts Saturday was far from a scrimmage and real close to any other practice, just held inside the stadium with some pizzazz for the fans.

Wilson still has had some rough sledding, regardless.  That said, he still hasn’t played in anything all that close to a real game situation.  Hopefully he shows some improvement soon.

  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

Becton is not built to defend players like Lawson... hence why he is 'schooled' everyday. He will be fine against most pass rushers. Mims was not built for this offense. He will be traded.

Zach Wilson is a rookie. making rookie problems like every other rookie QB in the league... Up and Down...

Vera-tucker is injured... you are correct... 

What about Austin? or Hall? The now starting duo of CBs on the team...

What about Davis calling plays on Def...

What about Rankins signing, Lawson signing, Joyner signing

How about getting Crowder to take a pay cut, Drafting MC, signing coleman, and continuously bringing in new OL to 'solve' the OL issue.

If you think this team is worse then the last two years you have not been paying attention.

 

I clearly said "Douglas' top picks."  In my mind, that's first and second rounders.  The cornerstones of a franchise.  The picks that you absolutely have to nail if you want to keep your job long term.

Douglas has done some nice things.  I'm not demanding that he gets fired.  But I don't think it's unreasonable to put away the green colored glasses and call things as they are.  It's not looking great, but again, it is still early.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

Becton is not built to defend players like Lawson... hence why he is 'schooled' everyday. He will be fine against most pass rushers. Mims was not built for this offense. He will be traded.

Zach Wilson is a rookie. making rookie problems like every other rookie QB in the league... Up and Down...

Vera-tucker is injured... you are correct... 

What about Austin? or Hall? The now starting duo of CBs on the team...

What about Davis calling plays on Def...

What about Rankins signing, Lawson signing, Joyner signing

How about getting Crowder to take a pay cut, Drafting MC, signing coleman, and continuously bringing in new OL to 'solve' the OL issue.

If you think this team is worse then the last two years you have not been paying attention.

 

The off-season dreams and ideal thoughts are gone but this could be a great core.   If it comes together, it would be a shame to miss enjoying the ride. 

Unrealistic expectations were shattered.  So what that happens every season for every team.  There's only been one undefeated team in the NFL.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, DoubleDown said:

I fully admitted it's early.  I think it's a legitimate question to ask.  When is the right time to start getting concerned?

Almost every single first and second round pick by Douglas (and there are quite a few of them) is either not playing or playing below reasonable expectations.

Week 8.  Very young team with coaches in new roles.  By week 8 you hope to see the promise.  This is a crucial rebuilding year but expectations are different now.  Its clear they have work to do, but they deserve time.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, All Gas, No Gase said:

I’ve been enjoying a lot of the threads for some time now. A lot of great posters here with some WTF posters sprinkled in for added spice. I’ve decided to jump into the madness.

IMO, it’s way too early to make any judgment or conclusions on Zach Wilson. In his first two weeks practicing in the NFL he has been learning the new installs, experiencing the speed of the NFL while dealing with the DL generally making the backfield their playground. Has there ever been a rookie QB shine in the first two weeks of camp while playing with the 1s? Idk, just asking. From what I understand, Trevor is having his issues, and Justin and Trey have been playing with the 2s.

Now that the installs are complete, if Zach is going to develop into a good to great QB, I expect to see him make gradual improvement with rookie bumps in his performance. Because of his work ethic and passion to get better and for the game, I’m cautiously optimistic he will at least become a good quarterback. Here’s to hoping he does. 

Why can’t we judge the past and present then judge the future when it arrives?  If he’s struggling in the present, isn’t fair to judge that as we did his past to draft him so high?

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, kdels62 said:

Well that’s the rub isn’t it. It is more important that the offense learn the play and go through the motions than for them to try and trick the defense. It’s also more important for Becton to line up 1v1 and learn to deal with Lawson than it is to make line adjustments and draw up misdirections.

It’s practice. Let’s not be ridiculous. 

Your 2nd year prospective pro bowl tackle suddenly has confidence issue because he is getting killed each practice by a good pass rusher but one who seems to be just pinning it back each play.  Part of learning the system is learning under game conditions.

Not to mention not dealing with anything other than pin your ears pass rush does not help lawson either.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, legler82 said:

Why can’t we judge the past and present then judge the future when it arrives?  If he’s struggling in the present, isn’t fair to judge that as we did his past to draft him so high?

I still see a QB I believe will be amazing based on that old tape.  It's at least two years early for that discussion.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Saul Goodman said:

Thing is, Becton gave up at least 7 sacks last year, so I’m not sure why we think that his struggles against Lawson are an aberration, or that it indicates that our defensive line is best in the league. 

You mean other than he gave up 4, not 7?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Becton has to be able to win against every type of pass rusher, regardless of build. 

It will be different in games.

Keep in mind, they're really not blocking running plays with any force - and it's short spurts.

Lawson would be getting the sh*t kicked out of him on running plays, wearing him down, building Becton's confidence - keeping him a little off kilter.

Right now Lawson is basically just pinning his ears back - and running around a guy that's unable to use his biggest advantage.

Becton will be fine.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Think people forgot we were 2-14 last year and have a first time coaching staff, rookie QB, and rookies and second year players all over the field. This season is about building a foundation for future success, it's not going to come out of the gate winning games

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

So I’m being a bit of a prick by saying this, but everyone keeps pointing back to Saturday with the term scrimmage and also implying it was slightly more important than other practices.

That thing Saturday, by all the accounts Saturday was far from a scrimmage and real close to any other practice, just held inside the stadium with some pizzazz for the fans.

Wilson still has had some rough sledding, regardless.  That said, he still hasn’t played in anything all that close to a real game situation.  Hopefully he shows some improvement soon.

Exactly, I've gone to so many of these "scrimmages" but as you said, they're practices in the stadium instead of Florham Park.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, DoubleDown said:

I clearly said "Douglas' top picks."  In my mind, that's first and second rounders.  The cornerstones of a franchise.  The picks that you absolutely have to nail if you want to keep your job long term.

Douglas has done some nice things.  I'm not demanding that he gets fired.  But I don't think it's unreasonable to put away the green colored glasses and call things as they are.  It's not looking great, but again, it is still early.

So youre saying we should start worrying about draft picks in their 1st or 2nd years in the NFL? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...