Training Camp Practice - 8/10

31 minutes ago, legler82 said:

Why can’t we judge the past and present then judge the future when it arrives?  If he’s struggling in the present, isn’t fair to judge that as we did his past to draft him so high?

Because hes developing, isnt a finished product after 10 practices?

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

So youre saying we should start worrying about draft picks in their 1st or 2nd years in the NFL? 

"Start worrying," absolutely.  Declaring busts, probably not.

Anyone not worrying about Denzel Mims at this point is simply in denial.

5 minutes ago, DoubleDown said:

Mims is not a fit for this offense.  A 3rd round pick for him would be a home run.  

8 minutes ago, DoubleDown said:

I'm kind of old and remember the old adage that WRs can take up to 3 years to develop.  I doubt thats the case here but that one pick, picks miss, usually on the player.  Most of this board was screaming for Mims before the draft and screaming at JD for dropping down thinking we lost him.  Now we're going to blame JD.  

Fans and the draft post draft are always smarter than the GM

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

17 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I'm kind of old and remember the old adage that WRs can take up to 3 years to develop.  I doubt thats the case here but that one pick, picks miss, usually on the player.  Most of this board was screaming for Mims before the draft and screaming at JD for dropping down thinking we lost him.  Now we're going to blame JD.  

Fans and the draft post draft are always smarter than the GM

Yes, it can take three years for a WR to fully develop.  That's not the time frame to show he is a legitimate NFL player.

I was a huge fan of Mims in last year's draft.  I thought the Jets got a steal.  I have no problem admitting I was wrong, and he's been a huge disappointment.  The coaching staff is with him on the field and in the film room every day.  There is a reason he is running with the 2s and 3s.

2 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

He may not be.  That's kind of why they have training camp. To get ready.  He has 4 1/2 weeks to get ready for the first game and September-January to learn and develop as well.  And the season after that too.  It took Josh Allen two full seasons. Why are you giving Wilson 2 weeks??????????????

If Zach Wilson was 6'5 and 240 lbs and ran a 4.5, I might not be concerned about taking 6 sacks a game but since he isnt, idk, kind of a scary thought.

There is a history here with this club.

"It's too early to make judgements like that"

"haven't we beaten this to death already?"

I have no fixed opinion either way on Wilson but for Every Quinnen Williams who does turn things around there are ten Vernon Gholston's or Christian (couldn't hit the ocean from a boat) Hackenberg's who never turn around the initial impressions.  Every one of those ten had many of the same posters who are showing up here in this thread to tell us that it is too early to make judgements. 

Time will tell here with Wilson but it has not been a stellar beginning.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, EM31 said:

I have no fixed opinion either way on Wilson but for Every Quinnen Williams who does turn things around there are ten Vernon Gholston's or Christian (couldn't hit the ocean from a boat) Hackenberg's who never turn around the initial impressions.  Every one of those ten had many of the same posters who are showing up here in this thread to tell us that it is too early to make judgements. 

Time will tell here with Wilson but it has not been a stellar beginning.

HA!

2 hours ago, TeddEY said:

I'm not a huge Wilson bull, so I'm concerned, but also not panicking.  If there's any panic, it's really just about his readiness week 1.  I'd rather see a competent QB out there then him if he's still got a long way to go.  We've got a decade without a playoff appearance and had only one season with a winning record over that time.  I'm here for the long term (unfortunately, perhaps), but you'll all have to forgive my lack of patience for another season of a clueless QB throwing YOLO balls.

I really dont understand why this thought is creating so much division among fans.  It's not even a knock on Zach.  It is actually more about supporting him appropriately and what is going to help him the long run.  I think throwing a player out there who isnt ready can have very negative ramifications long term. 

5 minutes ago, EM31 said:

There is a history here with this club.

Only one statement is relevant today.  

10 practices, not one most have witnessed is too early.  No matter which jag you throw into the post.

2 hours ago, dbatesman said:

If you’re looking for a silver lining, I guess it’s Saleh’s thing about him using practice to see what he can get away with. The only problem is, what’s he basing that on? It’s entirely possible Wilson gets under the lights and looks great, but that’s total supposition at this point. The only thing close to a game situation we’ve seen is the scrimmage, and if anything he was worse there than in practice! Then again these are the people who swore up and down that Jamal Adams was tHe BeSt pLaYeR iN tHe DrAfT and that Christian Hackenberg was a steal, so.

Exactly.  He's stepping up to a new level in a league that is 100000x better then what he just face and nobody has any idea on how he fits but he's out there just taking luxuries with snaps, trying sh*t on for size instead of mastering his craft?  That makes zero ******* sense.

That's like going to the gym and practicing backwards half court shots "to just see if maybe I can make them in the game".  Instead of going to the gym and practicing the exact looks you know you're going to get based on your role in the offense.

And if this true; how does this help the rest of the offense get adjusted? 

Totally moronic. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1