Cimini: Should Jets Be Concerned By Wison's Early Hiccups?

I thought the “working on what I can get away with “ stuff was just noise 

it appears I may have been mistaken. 

if this kid is a mad scientist I will buy his jersey lol

• Haha 2
  • Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

God do I hate hearing about Peyton Manning's rookie season when excusing away poor young QB play.  There are literally 100x more examples of players continuing to suck then there are players turning i

“Wilson hasn’t been awful . . . “ (Cimini’s routine admission that his article is premature) I expect Wilson to suck because he’s a Jets QB, but let’s let him actually suck in a game or two first

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Chris J hired Douglas though. When Woody took the ambassador role he had a shot to hand over the team to someone with experience outside of the family. He gave it to the other trustafarian instead.

LOL youre actually thinking that Woody should have passed his brother by, reportedly a partner in ownership and given it to someone else?
Oh yeah, forgot, if you inherit money, youre a dope.   

6 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

LOL youre actually thinking that Woody should have passed his brother by, reportedly a partner in ownership and given it to someone else?
Oh yeah, forgot, if you inherit money, youre a dope.   

You have this rare combination of being perpetually angry and an unabashed homer. It’s fascinating. 

• Haha 1
40 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

You have this rare combination of being perpetually angry and an unabashed homer. It’s fascinating. 

Being called a homer by you really is hard to take.  Next to you the Bills trolls who come here are Jet homers.

You had a bad day I get it, everyone telling you that all you do it whine and complain, every post is negative.  I'd start the next day going after someone and call them a homer too I guess.  

Oh, guess you couldn't simply answer the question.  Better to ignore and call me the angry one.  LOL

• Thumb Down 1
On 8/10/2021 at 11:32 AM, Defense Wins Championships said:

Someone remind Cimini how Zach Wilson has yet to even take a single preseason snap just yet. 

I've never created a Twitter account but I think over the weekend I'm going to create one. Just so I can flame these beat writing hacks and expose them for being grown men who attack younger kids with horse crap articles. 

I bet Cimini never even threw a football a day in his life and I guarantee he never played little league or High School sports. Because you can just tell (by the way he writes) how he's clueless in regards to Football. 

You know,  I thought this article was pretty positive.

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Being called a homer by you really is hard to take.  Next to you the Bills trolls who come here are Jet homers.

You had a bad day I get it, everyone telling you that all you do it whine and complain, every post is negative.  I'd start the next day going after someone and call them a homer too I guess.  

Oh, guess you couldn't simply answer the question.  Better to ignore and call me the angry one.  LOL

Woody handing the team to Chris was a good decision. You are correct.

• Confused 1
11 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Woody handing the team to Chris was a good decision. You are correct.

Thats not the point, the point is you thinking Woody would bypass another part owner of the Jets to go outside to find a CEO?  Because you didnt like not firing Macc on time and then the two hiring Gase 

On 8/10/2021 at 6:51 PM, derp said:

It’s nice to see Saleh acknowledge Wilson hasn’t been good instead of do some hand waving, and explained what their plan is to make him better.

This didn't happen.

• Upvote 1
18 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

This didn't happen.

Nothing literal about it.

It was quite the opposite.  He said he's doing well, studying a lot, learning the system, taking chances and getting better.

The only way you can see him suggest he was struggling was if that's what you wanted to hear.

From everything I've heard he believes ZW is doing well.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
On 8/10/2021 at 10:58 AM, Joe W. Namath said:

Name a qb who as a rookie lit it up his 1st 2 weeks of camp w/ no struggles.

Answer- no one

Zach’s struggles are normal and a good thing.  Thats how u learn.

Justin Fields?

• Haha 1
On 8/10/2021 at 8:56 AM, flgreen said:

Rich Cimini, ESPN Staff Writer4h

Should New York Jets be concerned by Zach Wilson's early hiccups?

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Clearly, New York Jets coach Robert Saleh had done his research, an indication he anticipated a question about the early struggles of rookie quarterback Zach Wilson.

"There was a Hall of Famer [Sunday] that was inducted that had a 71 quarterback rating his rookie year," Saleh said Monday.

It was a reference, of course, to Peyton Manning, who threw 28 interceptions and finished with an unsightly 71.2 passer rating in 1998 for the Indianapolis Colts. Saleh wasn't predicting a HOF gold jacket for Wilson; he was simply emphasizing growing pains are the norm at quarterback.

Wilson is experiencing them right now, and there's nowhere to hide. He's the QB1 and, unlike the other four teams that drafted quarterbacks in the first round this year, he doesn't have an experienced backup to push him or be a safety net.

The Jets set it up this way, going all-in with their prized rookie. The advantage is that Wilson -- the No. 2 overall draft pick -- gets all the first-team reps and invaluable on-the-job training. It allows him to establish his leadership from the outset; it's a chance to make it his team.

The downside is the tremendous pressure that comes with the position, knowing the entire organization is counting on him to overcome the rookie hiccups and be ready for the Sept. 12 opener against the Carolina Panthers (1 p.m. ET, CBS) as well as his predecessor, Sam Darnold, the Jets' 2018 first-round draft pick.

Every team has its own philosophy when it comes to grooming quarterbacks. The Jets, in a rebuilding year, are taking a long-term view. They're prepared for the bumps, confident there's a smooth road ahead.

It shows how much they believe in Wilson. They considered him a no-brainer type of pick over Trey Lance (San Francisco), Justin Fields (Chicago) and Mac Jones (New England), who were drafted Nos. 3, 11 and 15, respectively. The Jets didn't bring in a veteran until last week, with the signing of journeyman Josh Johnson, but he's more of a mentor than a viable backup.

"It is going to get worse before it gets better," said Saleh, perhaps trying to tamp down expectations for Wilson. "But he's at that point now where he's going to be able to stack up [good] days, and we have all the most utmost confidence in him and his ability, his ability to figure out the mistakes and correct him and get to a better place."

Wilson hasn't been awful, but he's had a handful of mediocre practices. Under the lights, in an instrasquad scrimmage Saturday night at MetLife Stadium, he threw two interceptions and led the offense to three points in seven possessions. On Monday, it was a mixture of good and bad. In a red zone period, he lofted a perfect fade route to Corey Davis for a 9-yard touchdown. He followed with another scoring pass to Davis, delivering the ball with nice velocity.

And then he ended the practice with seven straight incomplete passes, four of which came in a third-down period.

The Jets expect Wilson to make strides, and one of the reasons is because the offense just finished its installation -- meaning the players now have the entire playbook at their disposal. The hope is Wilson can shift into review mode, drilling down on everything that has been taught by offensive coordinator Mike LaFleur.

But that doesn't mean instant improvement. As Saleh noted, it usually gets worse before it gets better for most rookies.

"Really the biggest thing is, he's sharp," the coach said. "He'll talk through it all, he knows exactly where people are supposed to line up. He's very fluid in a huddle, he's got great command, he can correct people on the field. Now it's just a matter of getting reps and getting him opportunities to absorb all of the different things that he can see from the other side of the ball, and also just getting good timing with his receivers.

"So, he's fine. He's going to be just fine and ... there's a process that he's got to go through."

Wilson will play at least one quarter in the first preseason game, Saturday night against the New York Giants (7:30 p.m. ET). No matter how he plays, it's important to remember the learning curve. Even Hall of Famers can relate to that.

When football players in general have to learn a new system they don't generally start to play "fast" right off the bat. When it comes to QB not only is that magnified 100 x but it is also so much more difficult until the calls become second nature for said QB and that takes a while.

A spilt second here and there for a QB is huge compared to say a LB or even a RB ..QB's have about 2-3 seconds to make a decision once the ball is snapped some take longer than others to become comfortable with this in a new offense and some are never able to handle it at the pro level at all.

Most QB's have the physical tools the question is always the mental side of the game and that's ALWAYS a crap shoot as we have seen so many great college QB's fall flat on their faces.

As much time as Wilson puts into the learning process both before and after practice (from what we've been told) I'm sure at some point the lights will go on, in the mean time all he has to do is play smart and take what he's given and not try to push the situation.

• Upvote 3

Also keep in mind while everything for Wilson is new its also new for the entire organization from top to bottom, If Zach was to come into an already established offense like Mahomes had the luxury of doing you might be looking at a different situation .

So keep in mind:

Rookie HC

Rookie OC

Rookie DC - well half a year exp

and about 5 possibly 6 new starters on offense all of whom are learning as well. 

At this stage only the coaches know how things are panning out since they are the only ones with knowledge of the play calls. Think maybe they need to adjust as well ? Think maybe the defense is a little ahead ? So many questions so little knowledge of what's going on.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Like 1
On 8/12/2021 at 7:33 AM, Jet Nut said:

@Matt39 is a moody **** (You are, Matt ;)). Catch us at the right times and many/most are no better, I’m sure.

He’s also correct in citing how preposterous it was putting CJ in charge of the organization. This has nothing to do with tropes about trust fund babies, being born on the hot corner, or whether or not one has shown competence in some other wholly unrelated skill or field of business. As soon as Woody put his hat in the ring to become a US ambassador - well before he officially assumed the position (hey now!) - he should have made inquiries and arrangements to find someone qualified to truly run things. Or even run them from behind the scenes, if he wanted to CJ to be the mouthpiece for someone else’s decisions, just so Fredo could save face. 

It was preposterous based on CJ’s own public admission that he still didn’t know what the **** he was doing a full season in. Whatever his exact words were, in effect he saw the need to fire Maccagnan and Bowles together, but that he couldn’t fire both (specifically the GM) because he was in over his head & didn’t know enough to not hire someone even worse. So he left the HC hiring to the guy he felt/knew deserved to be fired. It’s only more tragically poetic that this predictable need was one season after CJ gave both Bowles & Maccagnan 2-year extensions as reward for the team’s blatant failures under their management. 

That is why the team should have been left in the hands of someone else. CJ has his ownership points whether or not he was the one doing the hiring/firing. He may be a nice fellow with a good heart; he may be a diehard Jets fan; he may have been both of those things at the time; since none of his character or experience traits were qualifications for the job, he was still a preposterous choice as one with such top level decision-making powers.

If it works out in the end despite that, as we all are rooting for with JD/Saleh, then it’s not proof of wisdom. Not only do drunk drivers frequently (maybe even usually) make it home perfectly fine, but I’m sure every now & then one runs over & kills a pedestrian whom it turns out was a child rapist and/or murderer who kept getting away with it up to that point. It’s still an objectively selfish & idiotic thing to do regardless of the results sometimes accidentally turning out ok or better. 

If we eventually win a SB before the next family takes ownership, this is the best light one can shine upon Chris Johnson (or either brother, frankly):

Pull_a_Homer.jpg

Chris Johnson was so spectacularly in over his head he had no place being the decisionmaking steward of a multi-billion dollar sports franchise for 4 minutes, let alone 4 years. Woody may as well have left the inanimate carbon rod in charge. 

• Upvote 2
4 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

@Matt39 is a moody **** (You are, Matt ;)). Catch us at the right times and many/most are no better, I’m sure.

He’s also correct in citing how preposterous it was putting CJ in charge of the organization. This has nothing to do with tropes about trust fund babies, being born on the hot corner, or whether or not one has shown competence in some other wholly unrelated skill or field of business. As soon as Woody put his hat in the ring to become a US ambassador - well before he officially assumed the position (hey now!) - he should have made inquiries and arrangements to find someone qualified to truly run things. Or even run them from behind the scenes, if he wanted to CJ to be the mouthpiece for someone else’s decisions, just so Fredo could save face. 

It was preposterous based on CJ’s own public admission that he still didn’t know what the **** he was doing a full season in. Whatever his exact words were, in effect he saw the need to fire Maccagnan and Bowles together, but that he couldn’t fire both (specifically the GM) because he was in over his head & didn’t know enough to not hire someone even worse. So he left the HC hiring to the guy he felt/knew deserved to be fired. It’s only more tragically poetic that this predictable need was one season after CJ gave both Bowles & Maccagnan 2-year extensions as reward for the team’s blatant failures under their management. 

That is why the team should have been left in the hands of someone else. CJ has his ownership points whether or not he was the one doing the hiring/firing. He may be a nice fellow with a good heart; he may be a diehard Jets fan; he may have been both of those things at the time; since none of his character or experience traits were qualifications for the job, he was still a preposterous choice as one with such top level decision-making powers.

If it works out in the end despite that, as we all are rooting for with JD/Saleh, then it’s not proof of wisdom. Not only do drunk drivers frequently (maybe even usually) make it home perfectly fine, but I’m sure every now & then one runs over & kills a pedestrian whom it turns out was a child rapist and/or murderer who kept getting away with it up to that point. It’s still an objectively selfish & idiotic thing to do regardless of the results sometimes accidentally turning out ok or better. 

If we eventually win a SB before the next family takes ownership, this is the best light one can shine upon Chris Johnson (or either brother, frankly):

Pull_a_Homer.jpg

Chris Johnson was so spectacularly in over his head he had no place being the decisionmaking steward of a multi-billion dollar sports franchise for 4 minutes, let alone 4 years. Woody may as well have left the inanimate carbon rod in charge. 

It wasn’t a matter of being right or wrong, it’s that as a partner in the team, equal partner as been said, it’s crazy to think he wasn’t going to be given the CEO position.  Nothing more. 

12 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Cimini should be concerned about DWC finally discovering TWITTER

😂🏈🤣

Screenshot_20210813-191324.thumb.png.7cc8fd148f93bd52c8e64c5a50bec0f2.png

The only thing I'm disliking about my Twitter fingers is that I've character maxed out and have to be short and to the point 😭😓😭

Pretend JN has the same character limitations and watch what that does for you.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 2
12 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Pull_a_Homer.jpg

It's funny you think those guys see the team as anything other than a shiny toy that brings in a lot of bonus cash to keep the great-grandkids in Ivy schools.  They don't care.  No wonder he gave it to his idiot brother while he went off to England.  It wasn't the shiniest thing on his shelf (and was actually quite ruddy looking) so he tossed it over his shoulder said, "You deal with it" and fudged off to London to say stupid things in public.

1 hour ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

I don't like it.

I couldn't even ask Robby Anderson if our Defense will nut in Sam Darnold's eyes (max character limit)

Screenshot_20210813-193106.thumb.png.144abf5f5674e4026045f9842b3dd168.png

🤣🏈😂

Did he reply?

🌽

• Post of the Week 1
On 8/12/2021 at 10:00 AM, JiFapono said:

I got to admit, this guy troll jobs are legit.  I appreciate his work

He should have said the Uncle flew the mom in to console  him, but yeah, not bad. 

He’s gonna suck.  Let’s face it, the whole offense is gonna suck…for a little while anyway.  And it’s not because Wilson sucks or will not live up to his potential.  I think he’ll be a very good QB and maybe special.  We have a  ton of new, young players in a brand new offense with brand new coaches. I hope I’m wrong but we need to be honest and level set our expectations going into the season.  Its ok we’ll get through this and there are brighter days ahead.

On 8/12/2021 at 9:22 AM, yocousinvinny said:

Sure. I mean, the guy IS a "Real American ", so I for one believe him 100%

20210814_151232.jpg.04be7db8a9cb38936b512ea252296153.jpg

In other news, Daniel Jones in actuality has never really fumbled the ball ...

6 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Damn man this Twitter thing is becoming fun for me Victor Green just replied to one of my posts  and said RESPECT!

Screenshot_20210814-155545.thumb.png.384e9e8070508dcb48b7271b4d18a9c6.png

So dope! 

You certainly love you some you 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1