Another JA Update from Seattle Times

addage

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/seahawks/contract-talks-between-jamal-adams-seahawks-at-a-standstill-russell-wilson-willing-to-restructure-his-deal-per-sources/

Contract negotiations between Seahawks general manager John Schneider and representatives for Jamal Adams are at a standstill, sources with knowledge of the situation told The Seattle Times on Tuesday.

The two sides last week had come close to an agreement that would make Adams the highest-paid safety in the NFL. Talks then stalled over contract structure and guaranteed money.

The two sides have not reengaged in discussions this week, sources said, and both sides appear dug in.

Both Adams and veteran left tackle Duane Brown, who also wants a new contract, continued their hold-ins Tuesday on what was the 10th practice of Seahawks training camp and marked two weeks since the team reported.

Each player was present on the sidelines for practice but did not participate, as has been the case throughout camp.

Seattle entered the day listed as having $8.3 million in cap space for the 2021 season. And while contracts with Adams and Brown could be structured in ways to create cap space for the 2021 season, restructuring Wilson’s contract — meaning, turn most of his $19 million salary for 2021 into a signing bonus — could give the team added flexibility.

The league and the NFLPA have already agreed to a ceiling of $208.5 million in 2022, which as noted is less than what teams thought it would be in 2021, and which was the number that many teams negotiated contracts before the pandemic.

But it could be less, which is one reason why the Seahawks could be warier than ever about adding to future cap numbers.

And that, conversely, could be one reason the team might also be holding a hard line on potential bonus numbers for the 25-year-old Adams, whom the Seahawks acquired in a blockbuster deal with the New York Jets last summer.

Teams like the flexibility of salary over bonus because it can be renegotiated later for cap purposes. But bonuses, once agreed to, stay on the cap at that number and cannot be changed.

It's an interesting article on a couple of points.  Clearly, Seattle wants to resign Adams.  As has been pointed out, they would be considered total idiots for the trade if they do not.  But the economics don't play.  They are trapped on the Cap and have any number of needs.  In some ways, Adams is a luxury they can't afford.  And Wilson is adamant that the OL be improved.  So Duane Brown has to be resigned.  They don't have a lot of room to maneuver.

• Sympathy 1

If I were Jody Allen heads would be on the chopping block for whoever the idiot was that pushed for giving up all that draft capital away without having a deal in place with a player like Adams.

IMO Adams isn't just looking to be the highest paid S in the league, he wants to be paid like an elite pass rusher. Bosa $27M, Garrett $25M, Mack $23.5M, Lawrence $$21M, and Clark $21M.

Duane Brown is a much higher priority.  Brown's important to Wilson, he probably could care less about Adams being on the field.

• Upvote 3

16 minutes ago, flgreen said:

If I were Jody Allen heads would be on the chopping block for whoever the idiot was that pushed for giving up all that draft capital away without having a deal in place with a player like Adams.

IMO Adams isn't just looking to be the highest paid S in the league, he wants to be paid like an elite pass rusher. Bosa $27M, Garrett $25M, Mack $23.5M, Lawrence $$21M, and Clark $21M.

Duane Brown is a much higher priority.  Brown's important to Wilson, he probably could care less about Adams being on the field.

Brown is more important player but Adams became an equally high priority when they traded away 2 1sts  and a 3rd for him. 

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Could they be this year's Texans?  HOU was 10-6 in 2019, and fell to 4-12 in 2020 when they had already traded away their 1st round pick.

SEA feels like a team poised for a similar drop if a few things don't go their way.  An unhappy Jamal Adams and Duane Brown are one thing, but the specter of Geno Smith starting any number of games in case Russ gets hurt is what should have John Schneider in a blind panic.  Russ is really the only thing between them and a 4-13 record.

If Russel Wilson is healthy, they win 10 games easy.

The only chance we get a high pick from the Seahawks is if Wilson was lost for the season early in the year.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Brown is more important player but Adams became an equally high priority when they traded away 2 1sts  and a 3rd for him. 

Doubling down on stupidity is seldom a good idea.   Like I said, if Jody Allen has a brain, she'd be looking to fire someone rather then give Adams $20+M

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

If Russel Wilson is healthy, they win 10 games easy.

The only chance we get a high pick from the Seahawks is if Wilson was lost for the season early in the year.

Another JA thread filled with pro analytics...it's like Groundhog Day all over again!

Announcing Bill Murray GIF

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, nycdan said:

Could they be this year's Texans?  HOU was 10-6 in 2019, and fell to 4-12 in 2020 when they had already traded away their 1st round pick.

SEA feels like a team poised for a similar drop if a few things don't go their way.  An unhappy Jamal Adams and Duane Brown are one thing, but the specter of Geno Smith starting any number of games in case Russ gets hurt is what should have John Schneider in a blind panic.  Russ is really the only thing between them and a 4-13 record.

Yes man. They just had the worst offseason of any football team and their roster will become full of undrafted FAs because of it. 

It's never felt better having Seattle's 1st round pick (than now). 

• Upvote 2

If the Seahawks have a window, the answer is pretty simple-Adams is under contract this year, can be franchised next year for what the Jets are paying Marcus Maye, and can be franchised in 2023 for an upcharge over that.  

If Adams can play well from 2021-2023 for what those contracts require, and the Seahawks advance through the playoffs, the trade will be worth it, by accident basically.  Adams plays a position whose franchise tag is cheap, like a RB.  Thank you CBA.

But it was a moronic trade, following the moronic trade for Sheldon Richardson.  Thank you, John Schneider.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, flgreen said:

If I'm  Adams agent I figure I have all of the leverage because if they don't sign Adams they paid 2 first round draft picks for a rental and heads will roll.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, rex-n-effect said:

The Seahawks are probably going to have a good year because Schottenheimer isn't ruining the offense anymore.

They had one of the best offenses in the league last year with shotty

they had one of the worst ds in the league with jamalaboutme

Jamal for sure deserves to be the highest paid safety in the league after leading the hawks to an almost league record worst pass defense.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Another Jamal Adams thread and all for yet another update? 

And you guys used to say "DWC" was obsessed with Jamal Adams?

Well, this is extreme obsession...

1P2K.gif

Here's a thought.  If you aren't interested on what's going on with Jamal, don't read the thread.

I live in Seattle so follow both teams.  Hawks are an interesting and successful franchise.  They are in heavy duty win now mode.  JA was going to be the piece that puts them over the top.  Most of us in Jets land think the Hawks blundered big time!!

It's not a coincidence that the dispute with Russell Wilson comes right after the trade for Jamal.  Clearly, Russell wanted the resources committed to the offense.  

It's going to be very interesting to see how this plays out for the Hawks,  So I post updates to let those who care know what is going on.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, nycdan said:

Well, if there was ever a year for Seattle to shank a season off the tee and into the woods like one of my golf balls I'd love for it to be 2021 when the Jets have their next 1st round pick.  A 4-13 season (17 games) would be just fine by me.

• Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

JA....Crack for these guys

• Jamal Adams could fart and then leave the room to get away from the smell. 

• Some of these JN posters would go out of their way and enter the room he left; in order to smell his fart. 

(Obsessed with him).

image.thumb.png.85bcefbd553708bc82208120a8427c72.png

image.png.933c0cba7c52a197d25416511f2a202d.png

And na. I'm not complaining.

I actually enjoy these Jamal Adams created threads around here. It's funny to me. Because the same fans who wanted him gone still can't stop talking about him ever since he's been gone.  

But yet there are more Jamal Adams bashing threads than threads supporting Zach Wilson, Michael Carter, Mekhi Becton, Carl Lawson, Quinnen Williams, C.J. Mosley etc and ELIJAH MOORE ?

giphy.gif

CalmEverlastingBrownbutterfly-max-1mb.gi

SecondaryOptimisticHorsefly-max-1mb.gif

Jamal-Adams-sniffs-out-Vance-McDonald-sc

I know the truth. These guys secretly miss Jamal Adams the football player. 

But I don't. I'm thankful for our two 1st round picks and rather spend more time scouting my favorite 2022 draft prospects rather than wasting my time following Jamal Adams updates on his Twitter. 

Jamal-Adams-lockdown-coverage-_-3rd-down

"Can't guard a TE". 

(They secretly miss their #33 and I know they do). 

• Thumb Down 1

2 hours ago, slats said:

Before John Schneider recognized the greatness of Jamal Adams, he already understood the greatness of Geno Smith. He has no concerns. 

Not gonna argue your Schneider comment. But the sense out here is that Pete pulls the strings. Hawks have a dual reporting structure like the Jets did with Gase. Doesn’t seem to work for them either.

Pete and ownership mostly likely made the decision that the Hawks had to have Jamal. It was left to Schneider to make the deal. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, addage said:

Here's a thought.  If you aren't interested on what's going on with Jamal, don't read the thread.

I live in Seattle so follow both teams.  Hawks are an interesting and successful franchise.  They are in heavy duty win now mode.  JA was going to be the piece that puts them over the top.  Most of us in Jets land think the Hawks blundered big time!!

It's not a coincidence that the dispute with Russell Wilson comes right after the trade for Jamal.  Clearly, Russell wanted the resources committed to the offense.  

It's going to be very interesting to see how this plays out for the Hawks,  So I post updates to let those who care know what is going on.

Here's a thought. I'm just kidding with everyone man and I don't mind Jamal Adams threads being created because I just like to have fun in them.

In all seriousness he was good enough for Jerry Jones to beg JD with their 17th overall pick and he was also good enough for Seattle to give us two 1st round picks and that's good enough for me.  

So far Jamal Adams = Alijah Vera-Tucker (LG). 

image.thumb.png.8f8fe3eef22aa4760170044255bcdf49.png

And if Jamal Adams Vol.2 also turns into our next version of Kevin Mawae/Nick Mangold in Tyler Linderbaum Pt.3? 

I'll never let another Jets fan tell me JD isn't allowed to draft another "Just a 1st round SAFETY" ever again ?

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

• Jamal Adams could fart and then leave the room to get away from the smell. 

• Some of these JN posters would go out of their way and enter the room he left; in order to smell his fart. 

(Obsessed with him).

image.thumb.png.85bcefbd553708bc82208120a8427c72.png

image.png.933c0cba7c52a197d25416511f2a202d.png

And na. I'm not complaining.

I actually enjoy these Jamal Adams created threads around here. It's funny to me. Because the same fans who wanted him gone still can't stop talking about him ever since he's been gone.  

But yet there are more Jamal Adams bashing threads than threads supporting Zach Wilson, Michael Carter, Mekhi Becton, Carl Lawson, Quinnen Williams, C.J. Mosley etc and ELIJAH MOORE ?

giphy.gif

CalmEverlastingBrownbutterfly-max-1mb.gi

SecondaryOptimisticHorsefly-max-1mb.gif

Jamal-Adams-sniffs-out-Vance-McDonald-sc

I know the truth. These guys secretly miss Jamal Adams the football player. 

But I don't. I'm thankful for our two 1st round picks and rather spend more time scouting my favorite 2022 draft prospects rather than wasting my time following Jamal Adams updates on his Twitter. 

Jamal-Adams-lockdown-coverage-_-3rd-down

"Can't guard a TE". 

(They secretly miss their #33 and I know they do). 

Dog Eye Roll GIF by Rover.com

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, batman10023 said:

stupid question :  these Hold-Ins  - does the player just say, nope don't want to practice coach?    i don't get it.   i understand this is so they don't get fined.

I think I read that under they new CBA player fines for missing camp can't be taken back anymore once they reach a deal like they used to.  So in order to keep negations civil they ask the player to at least show up so they don't have to fine them.

8 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

I'm just curious:

Why are SOOOOO many Jets fans still concerned about what a barely above-average safety is doing who happened to have once played for us?

I mean, why do people actually give a **** about this guy?

Well to be fair regardless if you like him (me) or hate him (99.9 of JN) NYJ owns rights to Seattle's #1 pick..

So yeah I like the bust the chops of fans who once called me "obsessed" over him but yet can't seem to stop talking about him etc

but @ the end of the day he's always going to become become big time 2021 Jets talk. Because Seattle gave us two 1st round picks. 

Once 2022's draft is over with? We'll probably never see another Jamal Adams threads on JN (and if so it'll probably be moved to a different forum by our mod team). 

I get it.

(just like to have fun with it). 

• Upvote 1