What are the 5 worst trades in Mets history?

Jetsfan80

Worst trades in Mets history  

9 members have voted

1. 1. What is the # 1 worst trade in Mets history?

• Dec 1971: RHP Nolan Ryan & 3 others to California Angels for 1B/3B Jim Fregosi
    • Jun 1977: RHP Tom Seaver to Cincinnati Reds for RHP Pat Zachry & 3 others
    • Jun 1989: CF Lenny Dykstra, RHP Roger McDowell & 1 other to Philadelphia Phillies for CF Juan Samuel
    • Dec 1969: CF Amos Otis & RHP Bob Johnson to Kansas City Royals for 3B Joe Foy
    • Dec 1975: 1B/RF Rusty Staub & 1 other to Detroit Tigers for LHP Mickey Lolich & 1 other
    • Apr 1972: RF Ken Singleton, INF Tim Foli, & 1B/OF Mike Jorgensen to Montreal Expos for 1B/RF Rusty Staub
    • Dec 1982: RHP Mike Scott to Houston Astros for 1B/OF Danny Heep
    • Aug 1992: RHP David Cone to Toronto Blue Jays for INF Jeff Kent & OF Ryan Thompson
    • May 1981: RHP Jeff Reardon & 1 other to Montreal Expos for RF Ellis Valentine
    • Jul 1999: RHP Jason Isringhausen & 1 other to Oakland A's for RHP Billy Taylor
    • Jun 2013: RHP Collin McHugh to Colorado Rockies for 2B/OF Eric Young, Jr.
    • Jul 2004: LHP Scott Kazmir & 1 other to Tampa Bay Devil Rays for RHP Victor Zambrano & RHP Bartolome Fortunato
    • Dec 2001: RHP Kevin Appier to Anaheim Angels for 1B Mo Vaughn
    • Jul 2011: RHP Francisco Rodriguez to Milwaukee Brewers for LHP Danny Herrera & 1 other
    • Dec 2018: OF Jarred Kelenic, 1B/OF Jay Bruce, RHP Justin Dunn & 2 others to Mariners for RHP Edwin Diaz & 2B Robinson Cano
  2. 2. What is the # 2 worst trade in Mets history?

• Dec 1971: RHP Nolan Ryan & 3 others to California Angels for 1B/3B Jim Fregosi
    • Jun 1989: CF Lenny Dykstra, RHP Roger McDowell & 1 other to Philadelphia Phillies for CF Juan Samuel
    • Dec 1975: 1B/RF Rusty Staub & 1 other to Detroit Tigers for LHP Mickey Lolich & 1 other
    • Apr 1972: RF Ken Singleton, INF Tim Foli, & 1B/OF Mike Jorgensen to Montreal Expos for 1B/RF Rusty Staub
    • Aug 1992: RHP David Cone to Toronto Blue Jays for INF Jeff Kent & OF Ryan Thompson
    • Jul 1999: RHP Jason Isringhausen & 1 other to Oakland A's for RHP Billy Taylor
    • Jul 2004: LHP Scott Kazmir & 1 other to Tampa Bay Devil Rays for RHP Victor Zambrano & RHP Bartolome Fortunato
    • Jul 2011: RHP Francisco Rodriguez to Milwaukee Brewers for LHP Danny Herrera & 1 other
    • Dec 2018: OF Jarred Kelenic, 1B/OF Jay Bruce, RHP Justin Dunn & 2 others to Mariners for RHP Edwin Diaz & 2B Robinson Cano
  3. 3. What is the # 3 worst trade in Mets history?

4. 4. What is the # 4 worst trade in Mets history?

5. 5. What is the # 5 worst trade in Mets history?

A simple, sad topic is all I can churn up during this disastrous 2021 season.  Take your pick on the 5 worst trades in Mets history, in order.

The contenders:

December 10, 1971 - Mets and California Angels

California Angels received:

• RHP Nolan Ryan
  • RF Leroy Stanton
  • RHP Don Rose
  • C Frank Estrada

Mets received:

• 1B/3B Jim Fregosi

June 15, 1977 - Mets and Cincinnati Reds

Reds received:

• RHP Tom Seaver

Mets received:

• RHP Pat Zachry
  • INF Doug Flynn
  • LF Steve Henderson
  • OF Dan Norman

June 18, 1989 - Mets and Philadelphia Phillies

Phillies received:

• CF Lenny Dykstra
  • RHP Roger McDowell
  • Player to be named later - RHP Tom Edens

Mets received:

• CF Juan Samuel

December 3, 1969 - Mets and Kansas City Royals

Royals received:

• CF Amos Otis
  • RHP Bob Johnson

Mets received:

• 3B Joe Foy

December 12, 1975 - Mets and Detroit Tigers

Tigers received:

• 1B/RF Rusty Staub
  • LHP Bill Laxton

Mets received:

• LHP Mickey Lolich
  • OF Billy Baldwin

April 5, 1972 - Mets and Montreal Expos

Expos received:

• RF Ken Singleton
  • INF Tim Foli
  • 1B/OF Mike Jorgensen

Mets received:

• 1B/RF Rusty Staub

December 10, 1982 - Mets and Houston Astros

Astros received:

• RHP Mike Scott

Mets received:

• 1B/OF Danny Heep

August 27, 1992 - Mets and Toronto Blue Jays

Blue Jays received:

• RHP David Cone

Mets received:

• INF Jeff Kent
  • Player to be named later - OF Ryan Thompson

May 29, 1981 - Mets and Montreal Expos

Expos received:

• RHP Jeff Reardon
  • OF Dan Norman

Mets received:

• RF Ellis Valentine

July 31, 1999 - Mets and Oakland A's

A's received:

• RHP Jason Isringhausen
  • RHP Greg McMichael

Mets received:

• RHP Billy Taylor

June 18, 2013 - Mets and Colorado Rockies

Rockies received:

• RHP Collin McHugh

Mets received:

• 2B/OF Eric Young, Jr.

July 30, 2004 - Mets and Tampa Bay Devil Rays

Rays received:

• LHP Scott Kazmir
  • RHP Jose Diaz

Mets received:

• RHP Victor Zambrano
  • RHP Bartolome Fortunato

December 27, 2001 - Mets and Anaheim Angels

Angels received:

• RHP Kevin Appier

Mets received:

• 1B Mo Vaughn

July 12, 2011 - Mets and Milwaukee Brewers

Brewers received:

• RHP Francisco Rodriguez

Mets received:

• Player to be named later - LHP Danny Herrera
  • Player to be named later - RHP Adrian Rosario

December 3, 2018 - Mets and Seattle Mariners

Mariners received:

• OF Jarred Kelenic
  • 1B/RF Jay Bruce
  • RHP Justin Dunn
  • RHP Anthony Swarzak
  • RHP Gerson Bautista

Mets received:

• RHP Edwin Diaz
  • 2B Robinson Cano
  • Sympathy 1

Great job compiling. My opinions:

1. Seaver-A trade done out of stupidity based on factoring a sportswriter's vendetta (Dick Young) and petty cheapness. 

2. Staub-They traded away a quality clubhouse guyand a player on a HOF trajectory for, I don't know why.

3. Dykstra, Mcdowell. The beginning of the end for Cashen. He thought he could do no wrong. He did not understand modern players, and thought outspoken players were a detriment. Ripped the heart out of that championship club.

4. Nolan Ryan. They got full of themselves thinking they had all the pitching in the world (they did), and thought Ryan would never harness the control, and worried about the continual hole at 3B. 

5. Kazmir. Decided to give up a jewel in the system  to get into a pennant race they were not in. They listened to Rick Peterson ("I can fix Zambrano in a minute") too much and he was an ass.

• Post of the Week 1

On 8/12/2021 at 7:09 AM, Scott Dierking said:

Great job compiling. My opinions:

1. Seaver-A trade done out of stupidity based on factoring a sportswriter's vendetta (Dick Young) and petty cheapness. 

2. Staub-They traded away a quality clubhouse guyand a player on a HOF trajectory for, I don't know why.

3. Dykstra, Mcdowell. The beginning of the end for Cashen. He thought he could do no wrong. He did not understand modern players, and thought outspoken players were a detriment. Ripped the heart out of that championship club.

4. Nolan Ryan. They got full of themselves thinking they had all the pitching in the world (they did), and thought Ryan would never harness the control, and worried about the continual hole at 3B. 

5. Kazmir. Decided to give up a jewel in the system  to get into a pennant race they were not in. They listened to Rick Peterson ("I can fix Zambrano in a minute") too much and he was an ass.

Solid takes!  I had Seaver # 1 over the Nolan Ryan deal too.  It's been stated by many over the years that Ryan would not have been as successful in NY as he was elsewhere, or at the very least there was no way of knowing this at the time, and I tend to agree with that.  Still a terrible job of talent evaluation with the info they had at the time as you point out.

We had the exact same choice at # 3.  I strongly considered the Staub deal but ultimately it just missed in my top 5.

I had the Mike Scott deal at # 4.  They nearly didn't reach the WS in '86 because of Scott blocking their path (if that series went 7 no way the Mets beat Scott in that final game).  Obviously that's "results based thinking" but that is always fair game in discussions like these. 

My # 5 was the Amos Otis deal.  I definitely strongly considered the more recent Kazmir deal though.  Kelenic may end up in that spot soon, too.  

• Upvote 2

May I nominate the Baez trade??The trade of Cone for Kent is one of the 5 best this team ever made. Cone was a good pitcher, no doubt, but Kent is a  borderline HOF. That was a steal. Trading Kent to Cleveland for Baerga should be on 5 worst list.My list , from your list…1) Seaver2) Dykstra3) Rusty to Tigers4) Scott5) Kazmir

• Upvote 1

• 10 months later...
On 8/15/2021 at 11:14 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

My # 5 was the Amos Otis deal.  I definitely strongly considered the more recent Kazmir deal though.  Kelenic may end up in that spot soon, too.  

It looks as if Kelenic has fallen off the radar. Has been in the minors since May. Now 23 yo

It will depend upon getting Diaz signed or not. For now we got the better of the deal sans Cano. 

The Crow-Armstrong trade for Javy Baez might be one for the list in year’s to come. 
C-A raking for Cubs AAA club and a good defensive CF

Baez: 6 yr - $140m contract with Tigers

.213 BA

9 HR

35 RBI

I am glad he turned down our contract offer. McNeil is playing as good for $3m….  .304 / 4 Hr / 35 RBI 

The Athletic uncovered the opt-out and limited no-trade clause. According to SNY, the Mets offered $125 million to Báez, but he ultimately chose to take more money to play shortstop in Detroit.

• Upvote 1

On 8/20/2021 at 4:24 PM, section314 said:

May I nominate the Baez trade??The trade of Cone for Kent is one of the 5 best this team ever made. Cone was a good pitcher, no doubt, but Kent is a  borderline HOF. That was a steal. Trading Kent to Cleveland for Baerga should be on 5 worst list.My list , from your list…1) Seaver2) Dykstra3) Rusty to Tigers4) Scott5) Kazmir

Cone won a Cy Young and had 3 other top 10 Cy Young finishes after the trade, as well as being a key member of the Yankees WS teams, specifically 96.

Jeff Kent was a good player on the Mets who became a very good to great player for the Giants. 

I wouldn't call that a steal of a trade for either team.

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

Honorable Mention:  2022....Mets send JD Davis and 3 minor league pitching prospects for Darin Ruf.

Awful overpay for a guy to fill the vs. lefty DH part time role.  And, he sucked.

The Cano trade will always be very bad (not the worst, though) b/c it was a "win now move."  Even with Kelenic flopping, the trade was a terrible overpay when Diaz should have been the sweetener just for picking up 5 years and $100 million of Cano's salary.  The Mariners fleeced the Mets.

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, section314 said:

Depending on what happens with Nimo in the off season, Crow -Armstrong for that bum Baez could easily be in the top 5.?

This trade was bad the minute it happened. PCA was a top prospect for a guy in his final year who would be playing out of position and had no intention of resigning during a fringe playoff year 

• Post of the Week 1