Training Camp - 8/12 (the pads are back on!)

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Golladay and Barkley are out. The offensive line is awful. They aren't protecting him from injury, they are protecting him from looking awful against the Jets further killing his confidence. 

Why is Gettleman still employed if their OLine is this bad???  He sure put a lot of resources into revamping it.

Could he be worse than Maccagnan???

• Upvote 4

18 minutes ago, BettyBoop said:

It also shows he doesn’t have a coach who is a moron.

Exactly right.

Its a simple understanding of human nature.

I know some people who still order food for their kids who are in high school. They can’t do anything for themselves. Teach kids/people to do things and let them do it knowing failure is part of the process early on.

Let people you know…do things…so they can learn to…do things.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, nycdan said:

Daniel Jones contracted a bad case of Lawsonitis.  Apparently he's not really excited about Carl when the shoulder tapping turns to real hits.  

Mike Glennon is going to have a long day.

Calm down. It's preseason. Starters rarely play nowadays in preseason games.  I doubt Wilson plays more than a quarter and hope he doesn't.  Preseason games will be down to 1-2 a year soon and the starters will hardly play at all.  The games are for determining the bottom of the roster, not for preparation for the top of the roster.

5 minutes ago, GandWFan said:

I think part of the problem with Becton/Lawson is this is practice.  You pretty much know when you are in a run period or a pass period.  A game is less predictable, especially on early downs.  Plus Becton cannot really smash Lawson on a running play, they are teammates.  Becton will look better in a real game.  

I think there is a lot to this.  I think some of you might benefit from a refresher on what Becton does to defenders, particularly in the run.

Start at 0:55 if you want to get to the really good stuff.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

I go away for a few minutes and miss this important development.  Jets go from a +1 1/2 dog to a 2 to 2.5 point favorite.  Missed out on the 3 point swing.

#degenerate

really?  I saw all week that the Jets were favored by 1.5.  I was teasing my giants-fan friend about it.  now that Jones is not playing, I would think the giants would be favored....

• WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 1

DB cuts are going to be interesting. We are going to cut a promising young player simply because we don’t have space.

Austin, Hall, Maye, Joyner and Hardee are locks. We can probably keep another 5 but you have Guidry, Carter II, Echols, Pinnock, Dunn, Jackson, and Davis. Two of these guys are likely getting cut. Hopefully we can put them on the practice squad and pay them like they’re on the roster in order to keep them from moving.

11 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Their O-Line is a mess again.  Lots of injured players.  I think this is absolutely a "we can't let Jones get injured" move.  Jones is a big question mark at best, but if he gets hurt, they are looking at Glennon as their starter.  Take it as a compliment I guess.

especially after that scrum in practice when jones was on the bottom and nearly got hurt.  

4 minutes ago, nycdan said:

I think there is a lot to this.  I think some of you might benefit from a refresher on what Becton does to defenders, particularly in the run.

Start at 0:55 if you want to get to the really good stuff.

We have nothing to worry about. The one guy he struggles against is on our team so he should be really good against the rest of the league.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

25 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

He's a 2nd year player going against a veteran with an elite win-rate against OTs, and who also happens to fit the mold of the kind of player that Becton struggles against.

Jeez, dude, give the kid time to learn and refine his game. And let's see him in some game action vs other opponents first before you get on that ledge.

Either your a star from day one or you’re a bust.  We’re Jets fans.  Its what we do!

• Haha 4

It's not surprising that the same fans who treat every tweet from practice like a proclamation from the Pope are now acting like the preseason game vs the Giants on Saturday is one step down from the Super Bowl.  I know we are all starved for real football, but by 8-8:15 pm this game will be White/Morgan vs Glennon and scrubs vs scrubs (fighting for roster spots).  

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, BUM-KNEE said:

Sounds like we are still in TE purgatory.....

At least the rest of the team seems legit. Can't wait to see this defense in real game action.

We gave our guys a chance at DB, LB and TE. Our DBs and LBs stepped up. Our TEs didn’t. Time for JD to get on the phone and make something happen.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

We gave our guys a chance at DB, LB and TE. Our DBs and LBs stepped up. Our TEs didn’t. Time for JD to get on the phone and make something happen.

It's not like this TE situation/dearth of talent hasn't existed for years.  Other than incompetence (maybe blind faith in the guys we have?), not sure why JD did not act on this in the off season.  It's weird and makes no sense.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, GreenFish said:

Or take the TEs we have into a dark alley with a sock full of nickels....

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 3

53 minutes ago, Zachtomims47 said:

Why do we think Becton is bad now? Because Lawson is getting sacks? I f’n hope he is! 
Not like we’re gonna see tweets saying Becton stopped Lawson from getting to the QB. Calm down people. 

I think most of us are pretty calm.  Just a hand full of "sky in falling" fans. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

58 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Hes supposed to be an all world left tackle.  A dominant player.  Hes getting beaten everyday for sacks.  Multiple sacks.  

This is not dropping back 35 times in a game.  This is like 15 practice reps.  Hed be giving up 4 sacks a game at the rate he is going.

Its more then downright embarrassing for a player of his caliber.

Honestly think the big softy will become better this year because of this. He's still a second year guy that showed soft but well last year. This might be exactly what he needed. Upside? Getting his ass kicked and hasn't come out with an injury. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Mogglez said:

The onnnnly concern I have with Ammendola is that he, supposedly, kicks low.  You’ll have to see how he does in a real game because those may carry less hang time and put you at risk of tipped FG attempts.

Cant the holder adjust the angle of the hold to create more loft? No idea but it made sense to my formally drug tainted mind.

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, BettyBoop said:

Either your a star from day one or you’re a bust.  We’re Jets fans.  Its what we do!

And if you're a star, we need to trade you for draft picks before you want a big contract.  

Because nothing is better than more draft picks.

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Lith said:

Well.  We were 2-14 last year with holes everywhere.  We needed to upgrade the QB, OL, WRs, RB, TEs, CBs, Edge plus prepare to add personnel to support a scheme change on defense.  He could not do it all in one offseason.

I'm just adding JD to the other boatload of GMs we've had who all failed to address this issue.  When was the last time we had even a competent TE?  Keller?  

You want to give JD a pass?  Fine, I respect that.  But as important as the TEs have become to current NFL offenses, I don't think it would have taken much of an effort for him to bring someone in.   I still don't get why Zach Ertz isn't a Jet.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

3 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

I'm just adding JD to the other boatload of GMs we've had who all failed to address this issue.  When was the last time we had even a competent TE?  Keller?  

You want to give JD a pass?  Fine, I respect that.  But as important as the TEs have become to current NFL offenses, I don't think it would have taken much of an effort for him to bring someone in.   I still don't get why Zach Ertz isn't a Jet.

I am not that big on Ertz.  30+ year old TE coming off injury, not to mention career low catch rate and yards per target.  Plus lowest receptions per game and yards per game since rookie year.  Given age, injury and declining production, he is not someone I would want to give up assets for.

If we still have the same glaring hole next year, then I will be right there with you saying he failed in this spot.  

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1