Marcellus Wiley: “fight free camp? This team has no fire”

Rhg1084

Between NFLPA and saleh this seems like it’s been an almost contact free camp.  I think that , more than anything has led to no fights.  Hard to disagree with Wiley though, dude has been through many camps, just not with today’s rules.   You kind of expect guys competing for spots to bring the intensity, maybe the roster is just mostly set.   Who knows ?

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Just to get discussion going, not that serious lol

No need to explain yourself to him.

Thnx you for posting this video man. Because I have a Twitter account now and it's pretty fun for me and I'm going to spam his page tomorrow for 15 minutes of Mike Tyson punch out highlights lol and I'm going to make fun of him for being a grown man and preaching teammates fighting teammates. 

Thnx you for this video. It shows me how disgusting this Wiley guy is. He wants our players to fight one another. He doesn't understand that they went to playoff games together. 

He also doesn't understand 90% of NFL players don't fight their teammates during training camp. Only 10% of the sore losers do. And he was one of them 10% of punks who used to try and hurt his teammates.

He grew up in a Crips neighborhood. Violence is all he ever knew. He should be the last one preaching football violence when the game of Football takes so many kids away from violent neighborhoods.

Fk this guy..

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

I only played football up to the HS level and I can’t remember a training camp where there wasn’t a fight.  We had winning and losing seasons after fighting in training camp so don’t know what to make of their theory which I’ve heard before.  Both men played the game at the highest level something not many of us here can claim so I wouldn’t immediately dismiss what they are saying.  I know now I will be keeping a close eye on what kind of fight this team has throughout the season.

46 minutes ago, legler82 said:

I only played football up to the HS level and I can’t remember a training camp where there wasn’t a fight.

Most High School kids are immature, their brains aren't fully developed yet and they fight out of throwing temper tantrums (due to frustration). 

This is the NFL. Professionals.

• Our players actually go to playoff games together and actually like spending time with one another. 

• Our players under coach Saleh (a great leader) compete every day against one another without having to "fist fight" like a bunch of idiots. 

Carl Lawson has kicked Becton's ass but do you see Mekhi Becton trying to "fight" Lawson out of frustration? 

No. You don't. Because he's learning from him. And then he lines up the very next play and tries his best to improve. Like a real competitor. A grown man.

• How many times did Joe Montana fight Jerry Rice in training camp because of miscommunication? 

• How many times did Teddy Bruschi try and beat up Tom Brady? 

Two football players with body armor on and football helmets on and trying to "fist fight one another" is probably the stupidest thing I've ever seen before. 

I want my kids fighting for one another on and off the football field. I do not want them "fighting" one another on it. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

5 hours ago, ZacharyWilson said:

There was a fight, albeit brief at the practice I went to. It was Cam Clark and someone else.

Yup. I was about to post the same thing. I think the other guy was Tanzel Smart.

But this camp does seem to be different than others we’ve had. TBD on the outcome. Could mean that our guys are emotionally stable which might lead us to be better in pressure situations. I can make sh*t up to.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

I am going to swim against the prevailing tide a little bit and agree with him.

I want my team to be a little salty by the end of the camp and I feel a better if the offense and defense don't really like each other very much.

<edited to add>

Does that mean I want blood in the streets every day? No because that would tell me that the coaching staff does not have control of the team but a fight here and there is a good sign IMO.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

I am going to swim against the prevailing tide a little bit and agree with him.
I want my team to be a little salty by the end of the camp and I feel a better if the offense and defense don't really like each other very much.

Does that mean I want blood in the streets every day? No because that would tell me that the coaching staff does not have control of the team but a fight here and there is a good sign IMO.
Agree ... you dont want fights for the sake of fights ... but you want guys with so much passion they will completely expend themselves ... which leads to short desperate tempers.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Dunnie said:

Agree ... you dont want fights for the sake of fights ... but you want guys with so much passion they will completely expend themselves ... which leads to short desperate tempers.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

There are other ways to see passion and that players hate to not have the upper hand without it coming to blows.  

Also camp isnt over.

7 minutes ago, Lith said:

I am not sure exactly when it happened, but clearly journalism has left the sports world, to be replaced by the era of the hot take designed to get clicks.

Exactly. Let's say something controversial so we get attention. For me let Saleh run his camp the way he sees best. All that matters is growth and hopefully wins during the season. 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

I mean this was obvious when Bayless and Stephen A. Smith rose to prominence in that sh*tshow of a “debate” program.

Now it’s essentially professional wrestling promos. All about generating controversy and having hyperbolic takes, particularly when it comes to the big market teams. 

They don’t even try to make it entertaining. They show the exact same plays every time they talk about the story. I’ve seen those same 5 Aaron Rodgers throws since June. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

At the end of the day it really doesn’t matters. If the Giants have fights it shows they have fire in their belly. If the Jets fight they are an undisciplined clown show. If the Giants don’t fight they are well coached and disciplined. If the Jets don’t fight they have no fire. Until this franchise puts together some wins nothing they do will matter. When you been this bad this long it’s just who and what you are. 

Agree but I think its much simpler 

Marcus Wiley is a total moron, was a moron when he was on ESPN and spewed one idiotic take after another because, hey he played football which therefore makes him right.

Probably why ESPN dumped him

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

They don’t even try to make it entertaining. They show the exact same plays every time they talk about the story. I’ve seen those same 5 Aaron Rodgers throws since June. 

I would only occasionally check them out during the season and it’s just a show about the Dallas Cowboys.

They don’t believe half the sh*t they say. I’m sure Bayless and Smith were serious sports journalists once (I have no idea) but now it’s just show business.

• Upvote 1