Marcellus Wiley: “fight free camp? This team has no fire”

Rhg1084

11 minutes ago, Trotter said:

Exactly. Let's say something controversial so we get attention. For me let Saleh run his camp the way he sees best. All that matters is growth and hopefully wins during the season. 

Yup.  Some might argue that a team that does not have training camp fights is instilling discipline and focused on the task at hand: learning a new system and improving as players.  Which would be the narrative for the Steelers, Pats, Bucs, Packers, etc.  But its the Jets, so lets twist the narrative and show it as a negative.

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

NFL is full of troglodyte logic.

Listen to Saleh speak for :30 seconds to realize he’s functioning from a higher level of consciousness. The team is mirroring that. This has nothing to do with fire.

Lets start with logic.  

The only way to show fire and passion is to come to blows with teammates?

And it makes sense to risk injury to prove this?  

Also if it indicates fire, passion and whatever good vibes this moron can think up why did Judge end practice immediately screaming at his players because its not how his team will act on the field 

• Upvote 3

Could it be that the type of player JD has drafted and signed in free agency are of high character and more mature than others. Saleh  say that fighting won’t get you a spot on the squad and what might be taught us the simple fact that what you do in practice can and will translate onto what you do on the field when it counts. Teaching them not to take a stupid 15 yard macho man personal foul penalty which can hurt the team at a very inoppurtune point in the game 

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Lets start with logic.   - Good Idea

The only way to show fire and passion is to come to blows with teammates? - No! But it is one of the ways that these things might happen/Often does happen

And it makes sense to risk injury to prove this?  -  These things are never planned. When they happen they are spontaneous and I highly doubt that the Risk analysis is part of the in -the-moment calculus

Also if it indicates fire, passion and whatever good vibes this moron can think up why did Judge end practice immediately screaming at his players because its not how his team will act on the field - Glad to have your expertise on the topic of what "morons" might be thinking. Do you especially qualified to opine in this area?

• WTF? 1

8 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

I remember when Geno Smith got his jaw broke. Is that what you guys want? For Zach to get beat up? 

I bet most teams who have "training camp fights" have awful seasons that same year too. 

Ik Enempali with the passion!!! Ik Enampali career sacks...Zero.

You never hear about the Donald’s of the world getting into camp fights. A likely better measure of passion is how much work do you put in when nobody is looking.

Guys like Tom Brady, Jerry Rice, Aaron Donald constantly work/worked on their craft. More than camp fights, what I want to hear is that guys are staying after practice when the coaches are not around. This is not perfect either but fighting seems to be reserved for the bottom of the roster guys.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

Ik Enempali with the passion!!! Ik Enampali career sacks...Zero.

You never hear about the Donald’s of the world getting into camp fights. A likely better measure of passion is how much work do you put in when nobody is looking.

Guys like Tom Brady, Jerry Rice, Aaron Donald constantly work/worked on their craft. More than camp fights, what I want to hear is that guys are staying after practice when the coaches are not around. This is not perfect either but fighting seems to be reserved for the bottom of the roster guys.

Not to ruin your point but Donald was in a huge fight the other day lol

• Haha 2

Not to belabor my pads commentary, but fights aren’t going to happen when the majority of practices are in shorts. Jets have gone light on hitting/tackling. Maybe their sports science guys made the case for it. I guess we’ll see when the real bullets start flying.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Not to ruin your point but Donald was in a huge fight the other day lol

Haha. Whelp there goes my point. Oops. Should be interesting to see how this develops over the year. The Giants and Jets are taking too very different approaches. Jets are approaching practice from a teaching  perspective while the Giants are harnessing their inner beast. Both are expected to be bottom 10 teams. Should be interesting to see if either team over achieves.

• Upvote 2

Wiley is tryin to send a narrative that Saleh is soft and more about loving his players then building a football team. To me that is so far from the truth and evident by his past as a high level coach in this league. This is not a college guy getting his first experience in the pros. He does in fact have a track record although not as a head coach.

Best course is to ignore most of the media. Rely on the eye test as we progress through preseason games and into the regular season. If something is amiss, you will see it pretty quickly.

This coach is going to be fine and if some of our rookies and 1-2 year players can play - we will surprise alot of these media experts. Just don't expect them to admit that because the usual story is the Jets are incapable of doing things the correct way and winning. Some of that is warranted by our past - but not in the case off this regime unless they prove otherwise.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, JiFapono said:

These talks shows are lowest form of human entertainment.  It’s shocking that people watch this sh*t.  It hurts my brain. 

Agreed.  There is just too many hours of programming to fill everyday on these networks.  Too few quality talking heads out there.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, EM31 said:

Jets Nut is 100% correct. As he pointed out, Judge didn't appreciate it at all. Risking player injury for this utter stupidity is frankly bad news. Just as any other lack of discipline and focus is seen as a liability. Not exactly rocket science, but it obviously is to dumb clucks like Marcus Wiley.

• Did Joe Montana and Jerry Rice ever fist fight each other? 

• Did Vince Wilfork ever beat up Tom Brady? 

• Did the most classy football player ever #20 Barry Sanders ever get into a fist fight after scoring a practice TD or did he just give the football to the TC ref and walk back to the huddle?

• Did Curtis Martin ever get into a fist fight with Victor Green or get into a fist fight vs. Wayne Chrebet over who got the rock on 3rd down?

• Did Peyton Manning ever have to fight Bob Sanders? 

• Did Joe Namath ever get beat up by one of his own teammates?

So why should the Jets players fight each other when they go to NY Knicks/NY Islanders Playoff games together and actually, like one another?

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Big fan of Saleh

BUT hard to deny a small kernel of truth here. Fights are usually a sign of guys competing for a spot, getting their competitive juice's up. Never saw it as a negative thing as long as it dont get out of hand. Just my opinion. 

your opinion is always to be against the JD regime and accept any critic from the media as gospel 

how about you start a fight with your fellow co worker , it will get your juice flowing for sure 

you are not tired of it? you dont really like this team so go be a fan of the teams your beloved Adam Gase  and Mike Maccagnan work at 

• Upvote 2