Marcellus Wiley: “fight free camp? This team has no fire”

Rhg1084

50 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Its really not complicated but the logic is being lost in translation

Marcellus Wiley said himself that the "best training camp fight he was ever apart of came in 1997 as a Buffalo Bill". 

His Buffalo Bills then went 6-10 and 4th place of our AFC East Division. 

Is he trying to say teammates fighting teammates = "winning" or something?

What exactly was he trying to say?

Because the bestest training camp "fight" he ever WITNESSED = 6-10 & 4th place...

Screenshot_20210813-193851.thumb.png.a233662449507c01fb3a775094a5d348.png

What exactly did teammates fighting teammates do for his oh so violent 1997 Buffalo Bills 6-10 losing team?

• Thumb Down 1

8 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Marcellus Wiley said himself that the "best training camp fight he was ever apart of came in 1997 as a Buffalo Bill". 

His Buffalo Bills then went 6-10 and 4th place of our AFC East Division. 

Is he trying to say teammates fighting teammates = "winning" or something?

What exactly was he trying to say?

Because the bestest training camp "fight" he ever WITNESSED = 6-10 & 4th place...

Screenshot_20210813-193851.thumb.png.a233662449507c01fb3a775094a5d348.png

What exactly did teammates fighting teammates do for his oh so violent 1997 Buffalo Bills 6-10 losing team?

LOL, why are you repeating yourself but to me this time?

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

That was painful to listen to. Could he try any harder ffs. 

Yes. He tried even harder today.

He really thought that a fight from like early August happened "today" and he tried hard to take credit for him "starting a fight". 

Until people on Twitter reminded him of how dumb he really is...

Screenshot_20210813-185547.thumb.png.5c24eaf696b874e2846e68da4997060f.png

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

11 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Start with the line, "This team aint got no fire"

Why do these shows think its cool and hip to sound illiterate?

Didn't Marcellus Wiley go to Columbia?   If he is sounding illiterate, I would bet that he has a business reason.  This thread seems to indicate that somebody is buying whatever he is selling.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

4 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Didn't Marcellus Wiley go to Columbia?   If he is sounding illiterate, I would bet that he has a business reason.  This thread seems to indicate that somebody is buying whatever he is selling.

He did go to Columbia.  Which makes you think he would be able to form complete sentences.

Either he thinks or the networks hes worked at think its cool and hip.  

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

4 hours ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Not really. What fight prompted this whole discussion, if not the Giants'? That's the only newsworthy fight that has occurred in he last few weeks. And I wasn't advocating any form of fighting. Actually the opposite. Bottom line: Wiley is rationalizing the Giants' fight as a sign of "fire," while stating that the Jets, on generally good behavior, lack that same "fire." It's not complicated. It's just stupid.

Universal world peace----Some Skirmishing----Frequent battles----global thermonuclear war.

= Continuum

Observing that a few fights in training camp might not be a terrible thing does not equal advocating for global thermonuclear war and it is disingenuous to suggest such a thing in order to try and make a rhetorical point.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Makes even less sense to think a one on one fight is indicative of a team with fire in them.  So the point that two players fighting is good for a team makes less sense than what happened at Giants camp.  Five weeks before the season starts.

Wileys comment was silly at best.  Fights or no fights are meaningless.  Especially as has been said when youre spending most practice days in shells and even in pads youre not tackling so there's less chance of a fight breaking out.   

OK I officially give up.  For you there is no happening or lack of happening with the Jets that does not equate to good news...... ever.

Any news that is subject to interpretation is always interpreted as a positive by you. That is fine. Clearly you must live in Pleasantville where the sun shines every day and everyone shoots 100% in basketball practice.... every day. 

For years you have been this way and for years you have pretty much been spectacularly wrong in almost every case.  But hey, who is keeping score right?

I’m not reading through all these pages to see if this was mentioned, but Carl Lawson on the one Jets drive video went over to the player who got in the one fight I know about at camp and said basically you can’t be doing that stuff if you want to be great. I personally think it’s much better having players policing other players than a coach acting like a hard ass and making them do high school crap like laps and gassers.  Apologies if already mentioned. When a vet tells a rookie you shouldn’t do something they listen. 

• Upvote 4

35 minutes ago, EM31 said:

Universal world peace----Some Skirmishing----Frequent battles----global thermonuclear war.

= Continuum

Observing that a few fights in training camp might not be a terrible thing does not equal advocating for global thermonuclear war and it is disingenuous to suggest such a thing in order to try and make a rhetorical point.

I'm pretty sure this is an NFL thing only, but in no other sports that I follow would a fight be perceived as something good. Quite the opposite, lack of discipline only contributes to a weaker team. 

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1

Attempting to discredit a professional football player’s experience to support one’s viewpoint or preferences is dubious logic. 

By that logic, Wiley’s life experience, career and professional experience must be denigrated and destroyed to somehow vindicate a Saleh regime and a Jets team of as yet unknown quality.

Proclaiming Saleh’s intelligence or coaching method as “being on a higher plane” compared to his contemporaries? I hope we haven’t condemned him to being the General George McClellan of Jets coaches. 

• Haha 2

42 minutes ago, EM31 said:

OK I officially give up.  For you there is no happening or lack of happening with the Jets that does not equate to good news...... ever.

Any news that is subject to interpretation is always interpreted as a positive by you. That is fine. Clearly you must live in Pleasantville where the sun shines every day and everyone shoots 100% in basketball practice.... every day. 

For years you have been this way and for years you have pretty much been spectacularly wrong in almost every case.  But hey, who is keeping score right?

Nothing I said has anything to do with the Jets.  I know you dont get it, but all I said is its moronic to claim the Jets lack fire because they havent had a fight with 4 weeks+ to go until the start of the season.  That you want to make it personal, try and drag my history into this.  

That your one of the minority agreeing with this doesnt make me living in Pleasantville, thats a lame defense to the point Wiley was trying to make.

Im not spectacularly wrong for not being on the side of a moron trying to stir the shlt and sucking in others.   Its is you who is spectacularly wrong, thats the nice way of putting it.

9 minutes ago, Ian Fleming said:

Attempting to discredit a professional football player’s experience to support one’s viewpoint or preferences is dubious logic. 

By that logic, Wiley’s life experience, career and professional experience must be denigrated and destroyed to somehow vindicate a Saleh regime and a Jets team of as yet unknown quality.

Proclaiming Saleh’s intelligence or coaching method as “being on a higher plane” compared to his contemporaries? I hope we haven’t condemned him to being the General George McClellan of Jets coaches. 

What kind of authority does a former player have when it comes to managing a team or building a strong group? 

7 minutes ago, Gramsci said:

What kind of authority does a former player have when it comes to managing a team or building a strong group? 

I would pose that a former player has more insight by virtue of experience and training into both than an outside observer.

Akin to how a civilian corporate management/ leadership expert would not be the best analyst of military command leadership. However, a former NCO would have the credibility to provide an assessment of unit command leadership requirements and dynamics.

1 hour ago, Ian Fleming said:

Marcellus Wiley said that the greatest training camp fight he's ever been apart of was back in 1997 while playing for the Buffalo Bills. 

That big training camp fight he's referring to?

Screenshot_20210813-193851.thumb.png.ad3eae07369d168cea135b0ce5a91b35.png

6-10 and 4th place of the AFC East. 

As if FIGHTING IN TRAINING CAMP = "WINS". 

So that's why he's saying? That not fighting in training camp means the Jets are going to lose and/or have no fire? 

I think the opposite is true. 

I'll admit.

All of his training camp fighting had this guy looking real "fired up" and real "happy' as he played the game of Football....

GettyImages-624723.jpg?fit=1800,1000

Wiley.jpg

marcellus-wiley-of-the-dallas-cowboys-lo

defensive-end-marcellus-wiley-of-the-jac

You know what's really funny about this (bitter) media hack who's preaching the importance of training camp fights while crapping all over the Jets for not fist fighting? 

• Marcellus Wiley knows absolutely nothingness about what it takes to become a winner in training camp ("by fighting") because...

A.) He was never apart of a SB winning team. 

B.) He had a career losing record of only 78-82.

C.) He had an 0-3 career losing playoff record. 

But it's funny how he won't tell us that (I had to research on my own) as he's preaching the importance of "training camp fights". 

It looks like all of his training camp fights only got him a career losing record of 78-82 along with teams so divided to the point of not being able to win a single postseason game together ala an 0-3 career losing playoff record. 

Maybe (just maybe) if he would've focused on being more of a locker room team leader of a team captain who broke up his own teammates from fighting each other he wouldn't have bounced around from team to team (and quit on by every coaching staff who ever had to coach his malcontent and degenerate ass). 

Now?

He's just sounds like a former NFL player who's bitter about never winning...

Screen-Shot-2021-04-23-at-2.28.13-PM-e16

xxx_jo4_9438.jpg?crop=0px,0px,1736px,104

88c11189-f3e4-4e8c-b192-244dc47eab41-102

Some loser role model there while banging a CRIP SET on National TV. 

He's from a CRIP neighborhood in California. He grew up in a violent neighborhood. But yet he's still cripping while preaching football violence? As if football doesn't save kids and take them away from street gangs and violence? 

**** this scumbag. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

7 hours ago, EM31 said:

= Continuum

When did we go from fighting=showing fire to fighting=not a terrible thing? Methinks the ground under your argument has shifted once again. And the only rhetorical gamesmanship is coming from you attempting disingenuously to exaggerate my point to hyperbolic absurdity as a tactic. You're simply wrong, but hey, it's the internet, where people rarely admit a mistake. 

12 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Is this for real? 

For someone who just said they don't  want to engage with me, you certainly  seem to have a lot to say.

What is funny to me is you have been very critical of just about everything I post but I rarely react to what you write. Here is a rare occasion i am critical of you and you basically  start crying leave me alone.

Whatever man. 

• WTF? 1

8 hours ago, Ian Fleming said:

No, but there are other variables involved.  

He is paid by ESPN to drive viewership, fill content and create controversy.  I believe it's dubious to view this statement with the single premise of True or False.  He may not believe it but knows it will make for good TV.  

This 4 page thread on an 8 word sentence is proof it worked.

• Upvote 3

On 8/13/2021 at 9:36 AM, Defense Wins Championships said:

I remember when Geno Smith got his jaw broke. Is that what you guys want? For Zach to get beat up? 

I bet most teams who have "training camp fights" have awful seasons that same year too. 

Say what you want about IK Enempali...dude had fire.

10 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

lol this is jet nut we're talking about right he's literally the grumpiest guy on the internet

Thats me the original Grumpy Old Man.  

But it is interesting, all I did was disagree with Wiley, as have most here and because I referred to Wiley a "this moron" he felt the need to respond to me, out of nowhere with: Glad to have your expertise on the topic of what "morons" might be thinking. Do you especially qualified to opine in this area?

But I'm the grumpy, nasty one who instigated all of this.  Especially when Do you especially qualified to opine in this area? kind of has the ring of a moron to it.  ?

On 8/13/2021 at 7:59 AM, Adoni Beast said:

I remember there were plenty of fights in the 2016 training camp…ignited the fire of a civil war of factions amongst the team and completely derailed what was supposed to be a promising season.

Sure the team discord probably wasn't a big help, that season was never going to be promising.

The false promise was based on the hopes that we'd get a repeat of ultra-favorable matchups, few key injuries, plus above all else however-many of Fitzpatrick's pick-worthy throws in 2015 not getting picked off by defenders (in addition to the 15 that were).

He threw something on the order of 1 interceptable pass every 15 attempts (attempts; not incompletions). Though this good fortune was enjoyable while it briefly lasted for us, to expect that luck-rate to repeat itself - whereby some 2/3 of his interceptable passes would again hit the turf (or get wrestled away from defenders by Marshall) - was a fool's errand imo. 

4 hours ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

When did we go from fighting=showing fire to fighting=not a terrible thing? Methinks the ground under your argument has shifted once again. And the only rhetorical gamesmanship is coming from you attempting disingenuously to exaggerate my point to hyperbolic absurdity as a tactic. You're simply wrong, but hey, it's the internet, where people rarely admit a mistake. 

This is pretty disappointing.  My posts in this thread have been 100% consistent in taking the position that

1) I do not disagree with Wiley 100% and

2) That this IS NOT the same thing as arguing in favor of what happened with the Giants.

If you want to talk about shifting ground then look no further than the view in the mirror.   I am not the one using terms like "stupid", "moronic", "Dumb-clucks" or claiming to have absolute knowledge of what is in Wiley's mind.  And, after having taken those position I am not the one rushing back to wrap themselves in a cloak of reasonableness however recent that might be. 

The ground under my feet has been rock solid.  What about yours?

On 8/13/2021 at 7:51 AM, EM31 said:

I am going to swim against the prevailing tide a little bit and agree with him.

I want my team to be a little salty by the end of the camp and I feel a better if the offense and defense don't really like each other very much.

<edited to add>

Does that mean I want blood in the streets every day? No because that would tell me that the coaching staff does not have control of the team but a fight here and there is a good sign IMO.

22 hours ago, EM31 said:

There is a difference between no fights at all and an out-and-out melee involving the entire team which is apparently what happened at Giants camp.

It is a rhetorical trick and a cheap one at that to try pretend that those two very different things are one and the same thing,  As far as I can tell, Wiley nor anyone on this board has advocating for the "melee" because they have not.

So yes, Judge was right to stop practice when he did and no, nobody here is saying anything different.

The question as I understand it is does the complete lack of any fighting at all say something about the energy level of the team? If that is the question then count me as one of those who agrees that it just might say something about them.  If that makes me a moron, or stupid, or a non-rocket scientist or a dumb cluck in your mind then so be it.

And just because I think that does not mean that I want a bench clearing brawl of any kind.

20 hours ago, EM31 said:

There are a bunch of leaps of faith in that paragraph.  While he the Giants *may* have been on his mind he was being asked to compare zero fights to a universal brawl.  Saying that zero fights might equate to a lack of passion is not the same thing as advocating a full on brawl as you are doing here.

57 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Thats me the original Grumpy Old Man.  

But it is interesting, all I did was disagree with Wiley, as have most here and because I referred to Wiley a "this moron" he felt the need to respond to me, out of nowhere with: Glad to have your expertise on the topic of what "morons" might be thinking. Do you especially qualified to opine in this area?

But I'm the grumpy, nasty one who instigated all of this.  Especially when Do you especially qualified to opine in this area? kind of has the ring of a moron to it.  ?

You had every right to consider Marcellus Wiley as a moron.

He's preaching the importance of his former teams having training camp fights? As if training camp fights created for "winning" for his teams?

Marcellus Wiley knows absolutely nothingness about what it takes to become a winner in training camp ("by fighting") because...

A.) He was never apart of a SB winning team. 

B.) He had a career losing record of only 78-82.

C.) He had an 0-3 career losing playoff record. 

It's funny how he hid the truth while clowning the Jets for "not fighting".

He's more than just a moron too.

He's a scumbag preaching teammates fighting teammates but yet he's a grown man still throwing up CRIP sets...

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1