Other (non-Jets) Preseason Games

9 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Yes.  I expect we'll see similar things from Lawrence and Lance as well.  Live fire from non-friendlies is a very different thing than shoulder-tapping and non-contact scrimmages.  I actually hope that Wilson finds he has more time than he's used to since the Giants don't really have anything like Lawson on that DL.

Only thing that worries me is the Giants do have a pretty good D, especially their CBs, they've got an excellent secondary.

I thought it was a mistake passing on Fields for Zach? 

Well. That's at least what so many have been telling us throughout training camp etc. 

7/12, 52 yards and 3 points.

2 runs for 2 yards? 

Two early to write off his career just a preseason game etc but I really didn't enjoy all the Justin Fields over Zach Wilson training camp hype...

Was also nice to see Tua toss an INT 

4 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

These are all the exact same observations I made watching Mac Jones the other day. 

'Bama QBs all have similar characteristics under Saban...aside from Hurd. Accurate non-risk takers who get to pad their stats throwing to wide open NFL level receivers against overwhelmed and overmatched DBs. The primary job is to not give away the game and put up enough points so the Defense can win it by dominating the game.

Meanwhile...Dolphin forums think 3 points and a red zone int mean Tua could compete for MVP

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Not burying him or drawing any larger conclusions, but Fields was supposed to be this elite ball placement guy, and I’m not seeing it 

And for all of the talk about Wilson bailing on a clean pocket, it looked like Fields was doing that literally every time he dropped back to pass.

• Haha 1

First real game time for Fields and he did make a nice play on the rollout but I see the same issue with him that I saw in him during his college days- he just processes super slow...its why he had all those pass deflections. 

Jim Miller in full homer mode though: After Fields throws it 5 yards over the players head:

"good placement there, he threw it high"

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Not burying him or drawing any larger conclusions, but Fields was supposed to be this elite ball placement guy, and I’m not seeing it 

That's the takeaway for me. I won't get too hung up the stats and all that stuff. It's his first game. In college, he showed elite deep ball accuracy, arm strength and dynamic running. Those elite traits didn't pop today. Could just be him adjusting to speed of the game and playing slower than he can.

He'll hopefully develop and start to play faster and showcase those traits. Although those that were concerned about him processing the game slow may have a point.

5 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

I thought it was a mistake passing on Fields for Zach? 

Well. That's at least what so many have been telling us throughout training camp etc. 

7/12, 52 yards and 3 points.

2 runs for 2 yards? 

Two early to write off his career just a preseason game etc but I really didn't enjoy all the Justin Fields over Zach Wilson training camp hype...

Was also nice to see Tua toss an INT 

Perfect world all the other rookie QBs will be unimpressive and Zach will light it up today. I'm tired of hearing about how "impressive" Fields and Lance look in TC. 

• Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

First real game time for Fields and he did make a nice play on the rollout but I see the same issue with him that I saw in him during his college days- he just processes super slow...its why he had all those pass deflections. 

Jim Miller in full homer mode though: After Fields throws it 5 yards over the players head:

5 yards over his head and he still caught it?  The Bears got Mr. Fantastic at WR; can we sign him?

11 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Couple dropped INTs too

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Looked awful for a bit and then had a good drive. Did need a great catch on that long ball. Used his legs very effectively.

Nothing to gauge now though. There's no starters, less intense gameplans and no real tape on him yet at this level. The rookie QB's could all be amazing or atrocious and it probably wouldn't say much one way or the other. Especially for Lance and Fields who will have time to develop anyway.

2 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

Ok Justin Fields. Starting to show a little swagger. While not the greatest debut, there's enough there to have Bears fans happy. Tua had descent stats, but I'm just not seeing it with him. Dude throws ducks.

I give it 3-4 games before Brissett replaces Tua.   All I see is a great college QB who is not gonna make it in the NFL.

• Upvote 2

Two takeaways I have:

• Fields looks ok.  Settled nicely after a tough start.  He won’t get away with rolling out and throwing across his body the entire season.  Liked that he climbed the pocket more on that last drive.

•  Don’t lower your shoulder at any point in the pre-season young fella, lol.  Plenty of career ahead of you!

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Irish Jet said:

Looked awful for a bit and then had a good drive. Did need a great catch on that long ball. Used his legs very effectively.

Nothing to gauge now though. There's no starters, less intense gameplans and no real tape on him yet at this level. The rookie QB's could all be amazing or atrocious and it probably wouldn't say much one way or the other. Especially for Lance and Fields who will have time to develop anyway.

Helps when the scrubs come in

Also he was terrible in the pocket, all his later success came with him rolling out on every play and the scrubs on defense lost their coverages