Defensive Line Dominance

Rhg1084

Man that first series where the Gmen went 3 and out the D line created a lot of havoc. Lawson was in the backfield in about a second, and then Bryce Huff wound up getting that big sack. 

im just really excited for this unit. They’re gonna be fun to watch. 

as far as rotation, I’m assuming Lawson and Q will be out there 99% of the snaps and the other two positions will be rotated. I think Huff is gonna be a starter and Saleh was saying he could get double digit sacks

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

The defense as a whole is going to be very good.  Mosley looks fantastic in this defense as his coverage ability in zone is going to be a huge plus for the secondary.  I expect to see a ton of tipped ball interceptions this season from him.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

12 minutes ago, fumblerooskie said:

I think Huff is gonna be a starter and Saleh was saying he could get double digit sacks"

That would be awesome, then you could have a rotation at DE (say Huff, Lawson, JFM and 1 or 2 others). There'll be fresh legs in the 4th quarter.

Awesome to hear him say that Huff was playing so well he forced his way into the first team. Productive season from him, across from Lawson would be huge. Quinnen up the middle…

I have to excuse myself. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Ghost said:

On the first drive last night, I noticed both Huff and Lawson beat their guy and bend that corner. I just do not remember the last time seeing that. 

Glennon was under complete distress those first 3 plays. Wish we could get video of it, was awesome to watch 

Really curious to see what the final rotations look like for this unit. Lawson and Quinnen are locks to stay in as long as the coaches want but the other two spots will be interesting. Foley/Rankins/Huff/JFM have all proved they should be on the field. My guess is early downs will be Foley and JFM on the edge, with later downs being Rankins inside and Huff on the edge... but JFM can also play that interior spot. This also doesn't include Vinny Curry... 

On 8/15/2021 at 8:28 AM, BCJet said:

The defense as a whole is going to be very good.  Mosley looks fantastic in this defense as his coverage ability in zone is going to be a huge plus for the secondary.  I expect to see a ton of tipped ball interceptions this season from him.

There were a lot of people who wanted to get rid of Mosley which I always thought was stupid - has anyone admitted yet that they were wrong?

• Haha 1

The depth is amazing here.  I think the Jets should preemptively try to move a guy like Nathan Shepherd for a conditional 6th or 7th round pick.  There are simply too many good bodies on the DLine which is an amazing thing for me to say.  We'll have guys like rookie Jonathan Marshall sitting there trying to break into the depth chart with guys like QW, Rankins, Foley, etc. all in front of him.  And, the DEs could be better than I thought, especially if the Huff we saw vs. the Giants is the one we see all year.  Lawson, JFM, Vinny Curry, etc.

This DL is both talented AND deep.  But I have to say what I said when we first hired Robert Saleh.... it's all about his DLine.  THAT will be what he builds first and prioritizes.  It's why I thought there was a good chance the Jets go DE with their second pick in Round 1.  As long as Saleh is here he will consistently field uber-talented defensive linemen.  The flip side as I discussed in a lengthy post a few months ago is that we won't spend a lot on CBs.  We may not see a CB taken in the first two Rounds in any year that Robert Saleh is here coaching.  If Saleh can make magic in his 2nd and 3rd levels of the defense with guys who are paid average market values and are drafted outside the first 2 rounds then the Jets will consistently be in a good Cap situation on D even if they're paying one stud DE and one stud DT a lot of money.

• Upvote 1

It seems to me that this defensive scheme is "coaching to where the NFL is going".  Get 4 guys on the line who can rush the passer - disruptors / penetrators, not fatties that are great at gap control.  Just send those 4 most plays, and play a zone behind it.  This maximizes the chances for big plays - both sacks and interceptions.  Yes, it might be harder to stop the run, but make the other team have 12 play drives...

• Upvote 1