Game Observations (NYG)

KRL

Thanks KRL, I always wait to see if your write up matches what I saw. I am starting to get better. It’s great to watch live action again.

I rarely watch an entire preseason game but there was so much look for. The Jets FINALLY looked like a football team ready to compete instead of some backyard pick up team.

Already looking forward to next week!

• Upvote 4

10 minutes ago, HessStation said:

Ball accurately flys off Wilson’s hand. ??

Over the years I’ve been conditioned to wince when the ball leaves a jet qb’s hand.  But wilson put a few passes right where it should be.  Accuracy in the short and medium passes has been so lacking here.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

After skimming the film of the game, I noticed Morgan Moses being solid at RT. He didnt get beat, and if he got out of position, he recovers fast.

Also, Wesco is a damn good blocker himself. Hopefully he continues to bloom here and makes life for ZW easier.

• Upvote 4

20 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Over the years I’ve been conditioned to wince when the ball leaves a jet qb’s hand.  But wilson put a few passes right where it should be.  Accuracy in the short and medium passes has been so lacking here.

From a pure technical or mechanical  perspective, Wilson is on a different level than the other rookie first rounders. I’m NOT equating this to greatness or who’s better. But he reminds me of, if Jimmy Garoppolo had a stronger arm. 

everything is quick compact and accurate 

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1

2 minutes ago, HessStation said:

From a pure technical or mechanical  perspective, Wilson is on a different level than the other rookie first rounders. I’m NOT equating this to greatness or who’s better. But he reminds me of, if Jimmy Garoppolo had a stronger arm. 

He’s reminded me of a bit bigger/stronger mayfield.  Sets up quickly, throws nice spirals and can get it out quickly. 

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

3 minutes ago, BUM-KNEE said:

After skimming the film of the game, I noticed Morgan Moses being solid at RT. He didnt get beat, and if he got out of position, he recovers fast.

Also, Wesco is a damn good blocker himself. Hopefully he continues to bloom here and makes life for ZW easier.

Wesco may make the team as a blocker/st guy but i wouldn’t want to put the ball in his hands with the game on the line.  The jets have so many other options.  

13 minutes ago, Larz said:

I was particularly happy with the ending of the game. This staff is a big improvement. 

For sure.

I thought the offensive play calling was pretty good, especially considering it was LaFleur's first time out. It seems to me the staff is well organized and they have a plan. They have been very deliberate in how they are grooming Wilson to ready by opening day. I am also impressed with how well they have been bringing our young secondary along. Things are looking up!

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

5 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Wesco may make the team as a blocker/st guy but i wouldn’t want to put the ball in his hands with the game on the line.  The jets have so many other options.  

I agree we dont need him to touch the ball alot, there are more skilled guys out there to utilize. I do think he absolutely makes the team doing what hes doing, this offense is in need of his services. The CS has stated the desire for a FB and Wesco looks to be the part.

• Upvote 1

Thanks KRL! 

I was waiting for your analysis which is always on point. The Jets look much more prepared with this CS -obviously and thankfully  the starters were ready to ball this season -but especially evident were the players on the back end of the roster -the guys fighting for the last spots on the team. Refreshing PS game

Keep the reports coming

14 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

He’s reminded me of a bit bigger/stronger mayfield.  Sets up quickly, throws nice spirals and can get it out quickly. 

Mayfield has some of that too…. All 3 quick compact release. Just thoughts here but Mayfield has the plus moxy, Garoppolo the plus accuracy and Wilson the plus arm strength. We shall see. Guys like Mahomes and Rogers have all of the above attributes plus the mindsets. 

At least we have something to watch this year….and side note as much I loved TL he and Lance (for example) seem to take a lot longer to get the ball out (per arm motion)

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, BUM-KNEE said:

I agree we dont need him to touch the ball alot, there are more skilled guys out there to utilize. I do think he absolutely makes the team doing what hes doing, this offense is in need of his services. The CS has stated the desire for a FB and Wesco looks to be the part.

Wesco is a poor version of what they want, so i figure while he may make the roster and play, his days are numbered until they find someone who is better at what they want him for.  Overall i see the TEs having a modest impact assuming moore is healthy and they look to incorporate mims.

4 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

What did you see with Rashed. He didn’t jump out to me as this article conveys. 

https://heavy.com/sports/new-york-jets/pass-rusher-jets-on-notice/

Hamilcar Rashed Jr is the player that definitely put the Jets coaching staff on notice.

The talented pass rusher led the team in tackles (four), registered 1.5 sacks, two quarterback hits, and a tackle for loss.

It’s funny the Jets couldn’t buy a pass rusher over the last 15 years and now suddenly the drawers are overflowing with options.

When you evaluate his game the things that stand out are:

• Hustle plays: a relentless motor that doesn’t have an off switch.
  • Special teams abilities: the more feathers that you can have in your cap, the greater your chances are of making a final 53 man NFL roster.
  • Versatility: can line up all over the place but is likely best suited as a situational pass rusher in this 4-3 scheme.

He had a "layup" unblocked sack, it counts but he was ushered
to the QB with no resistance.  Hard to get excited about that

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

My biggest takeaway was it was a terrible pre-season game.  There was one big play in the passing game and it was made by the Giants.   Clayton Thorton to David Sills for 37 yards.  

Game lacked juice and there was almost no attempt by the Jets to make chunk plays in the passing game.  

We drafted Zach for his ability to make chunk plays off platform to go along with our zone blocking run game.  I felt he was over managed in a game that meant nothing.  He looked okay but in reality he was managed and his roll out and attempt under pressure was pretty ugly.

Mims showed some heart and that was a real positive.  Seems like the game means something to him and he played with intensity.  Love to see more of that.

Seemed like the Giants were only looking at the roster and the Jets were trying to manage the game.  That's okay but frankly these pre-season games are meaningless and pretty awful to watch.   

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 5
  • Haha 4

I can't wait to see AVT and Moore in the lineup. I think we were missing AVT a lot in the run game. I was a little disappointed with Kroft on a few plays-- he missed some blocks. Also Vyncint Smith needs to improve his run blocking. There were a few times his guy made the tackle preventing big gains.

Ty Johnson looks good. Happy to see Mims working to prove everyone wrong. I think the illness was holding him back more than we thought. 

The team already seems more professional and better coached. When they say the team reflects the personality of the coach, well this is a good reflection. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1