Klecko HOF Chances Update

Warfish

At .05, Joe Dellamelliure , HOF lineman who now calls Charlotte home, who I know well. I was  personally invited to his HOF induction but BIG REGRET, I didn’t go. He says feverishly that Joe was as tough a DLineman as anyone he faced. 

He assured me that not only he but many NFLers have written and hounded the NFL on Joes behalf. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2
  • Post of the Week 1

7 hours ago, 92ShaunEllis92 said:

If I were him, at this dragged out stage after so long with clearly inferior entrants before him, I’d respectfully decline. Lol. 

Not a chance he turns it down.

Just as there isnt a chance you would. 

Doesnt make any sense and proves nothing

The only sport I care about is NFL football and I think I would really enjoy a trip to Canton.  However, until Joe Klecko is enshrined in the HOF,, something he richly deserves, I will never step foot in that building or watch any of the celebrations re: new inductees.  The NFL's disdain for the Jets is manifested in the continued refusal to recognize Joe's greatness as a player.  Whether or not his team made the SB is irrelevant.  No one was ever more versatile or played with greater passion 100% of the time than Joe Klecko.  

• Post of the Week 1

I was shocked that Hill went in.  Always thought he was HOF worthy but never thought he would get a look let alone get in. 

Always thought Klecko was great but border line.  The era of great DL men who have rings is a big Hill to climb plus he has the conviction and no championships.

Still it appears he has some real support.  His contemporaries thought him worthy maybe he gets the nod this time?  Certainly an all time great Jets player.  

16 minutes ago, CSNY said:

Only D Lineman to be voted ALL PRO at three different positions. D End   D Tackle. Nose Guard 

He was all pro twice.  DE and NT/DT.  He was an outright beast in 81 on the edge and 85 in the middle of the line.  Might have been better in 85 than he was in 81 when he had 20.5 sacks.  

3 minutes ago, Biggs said:

He was all pro twice.  DE and NT/DT.  He was an outright beast in 81 on the edge and 85 in the middle of the line.  Might have been better in 85 than he was in 81 when he had 20.5 sacks.  

My mistake. All pro at D End and Tackle. Only a Pro Bowler at Nose Guard 

17 minutes ago, CSNY said:

My mistake. All pro at D End and Tackle. Only a Pro Bowler at Nose Guard 

Easy mistake.  It wasn't easy to be all pro on the DL in Klecko's era.  It was a loaded position.  The fact that he did it twice is pretty awesome.  

1 minute ago, Biggs said:

Easy mistake.  It wasn't easy to be all pro on the DL in Klecko's era.  It was a loaded position.  The fact that he did it twice is pretty awesome.  

Best leverage I've ever seen.  Joe was a relatively small guy for DL even back then.  Yet he got the best of many OL with his uncanny balance and power.   NFL is being an ass with this. He absolutely deserves his spot there. If not solely for his part in the Sacjk Exchange for which they should all be there collectively... but that's another issue all together.

13 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Best leverage I've ever seen.  Joe was a relatively small guy for DL even back then.  Yet he got the best of many OL with his uncanny balance and power.   NFL is being an ass with this. He absolutely deserves his spot there. If not solely for his part in the Sacjk Exchange for which they should all be there collectively... but that's another issue all together.

It's not a slam dunk.  In that decade you had Reggie White, Howie Long Selmon, Smith, Randi White, Dan Hampton, Keith Mallard and Dave Butz on the DE and DT positions.

I think Klecko was as good or better than Dan Hampton.  Hampton played on what many consider the best defense of all time and has a ring.

When I look at Winston Hill he was dominating and if you watch the tape of the SB against what at the time was considered one of the great defensive teams of all time he literally pushed them around.  I think that was probably what got him in. 

Klecko played in an era of great defensive lineman.  It doesn't help him. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Biggs said:

It's not a slam dunk.  In that decade you had Reggie White, Howie Long Selmon, Smith, Randi White, Dan Hampton, Keith Mallard and Dave Butz on the DE and DT positions.

I think Klecko was as good or better than Dan Hampton.  Hampton played on what many consider the best defense of all time and has a ring.

When I look at Winston Hill he was dominating and if you watch the tape of the SB against what at the time was considered one of the great defensive teams of all time he literally pushed them around.  I think that was probably what got him in. 

Which others had that diversity along the line? I'm sure there were, but I don't remember.  He could never be a DE like White, but his compact power and versatility were unique.  

2 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Which others had that diversity along the line? I'm sure there were, but I don't remember.  He could never be a DE like White, but his compact power and versatility were unique.  

He was great.  There were players not as good in the HOF.  Tough to get in when the position was loaded and you didn't get to the championship game.

I don't believe he's being snubbed.  Just think the D line in the 80's was a high visibility position with a lot of really good and great players.   Other guys may have been more visible to the voters because they played on more competitive teams.

I think if the Sack Exchange team had actually done some damage in the playoffs he would be in.   

• Upvote 1