Former NY Jets HC Joe Walton Passes Away

3 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

This makes me sad.

image.thumb.png.9338a10d4de77ac9b31dc51c826a170a.png

He was before my time but in 1985 the year I was born he was our Jets head coach (1983-1989). 

?

Thank you coach Walton for me being born into a 1985 11-5 Jets season (I think that's pretty cool). 

(20+ minute video of his 1985 Jets). 

Rest in Heaven coach Joe Walton

(and I already know coach Saleh will HONOR you this year). 

???

thanks for posting the video. brought back some great memories. 

• Post of the Week 1

Really good offense mind who was a good coordinator here and in Washington, mentoring and helping Theisman along

Was a pretty good coach, led some exciting teams in his days, I always felt bad that what was called a good man by everyone was trashed so harshly in the in the press.

Rest In Peace coach.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, doitny said:

thanks for posting the video. brought back some great memories. 

Yeah man. I was only a newborn baby in 1985 but it made me emotional watching it and I had memories never seen before because my older brother swears to me that my grandpa had me as a baby and him as a teenager watching every game together before I could speak in Queens. I don't remember a time in my life where I wasn't watching sports my earliest Jets visual memories was Adrian Murrell being my favorite player and I'm still OBSESSED over the RB position because I was 13 1998 #28 and also playing Madden 92 on Super Nintendo @ 7 years old when they only had #s and not names. Watching that video made me sad because I miss my grandfather dusting off old 1968-1969 VCRs on Saturdays and watching full games on Saturdays as our family tradition for Sunday live pregame. And while watching? Knowing he had me watching as a baby? 10-0? 11-5? I know he loved that team.

I selected DWC as my username because his favorite player was actually Lance Mehl (and he loved #12 too).

Death also scares me. My mom is 72 but looks 40 because she rides bikes and jogs every day and retired from medical field of 50+ years so I pray every night she makes 107 (so I won't be far behind) and I hate even thinking about death because it makes me scared when I see people around her age going to heaven.  I will never stop believing in an after life because I don't remember 1984 before I was born in 1985 and I don't remember 1873 either or 1600's etc so the thought of me and my loved ones becoming pitch black and absolutely nothingness when we die? Na. That freaks me out so I try and avoid these thoughts and I'll never believe in that sh*t I don't know where we go or what heaven is but I know we go SOMEWHERE ???

I love the Jets more for my older brother and Joe Namath and my grandfather 1968 team he raved about than myself. I want to celebrate with my older brother like we almost got to celebrate together in 1998 2009 2010 we live 30 minutes away from one another but Sundays we're always together at his home watching our Jets just like big kids again and I want to see Joe Namath guarantee one more SB and dance 1 more time because I know tears will come to my eyes when I see it happen and coach Robert Saleh is Godsent he's going to make it happen I just feel it like never before and so does my big brother.

Rex Ryan and his loud mouth personality and Bill Parcells would've made our SBs all about them. Robert Saleh man he's ******* HUMBLE he's going to make it all about us (our players and us fans) and i already like him more than any coach of my generation.

REST IN HEAVEN COACH JOE WALTON AND THNX YOU FOR LETTING ME KNOW I'M NOT BORN INTO THE 85 BEARS BUT THE 1985 UNDERDOG JETS!

image.png.f0279e65bce2d8008fb19fdac0a1625b.png

And we lost to N.E in 1985 too? Now? I'll never consider 0 SB Buffalo or fake spike Miami our biggest rivals. It'll always be N.E for me at least. Beat me when I was a baby? Made me watch 6 SBs front age 15 until I became a dad and husband? I'll always dislike N.E the most. 

Lets 2021 rally together as a fan base for our Jets here on JN and speak it into existence we're going to see Joe Namath and our 68 Jets celebrate again. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

Joe was my first Jets' HC. I became a Jets fan because I was attracted by their style of play, especially the explosive O.

So, I guess, that Joe Walton takes a lot of the credit/blame for my lifelong Jets obsession.

Thanks for everything, coach. Some of my happiest football memories are from watching your Jets team.

Rest in Peace, Joe Walton.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Throughout this team’s history, some coaches I consider true Jets (not based on success) it’s almost an unquantifiable trait.

Coaches that were true Jets:

- Weeb Ewbank

- Walt Michaels

- Joe Walton

- Herman Edwards

- Eric Mangini (was really building something here long term before getting screwed)

- Rex Ryan because he’s the only human on earth that would consider this job their dream job

Parcells, Groh, Winner, Carrol, Bowles, Kotite, Coslet, Shipp, Holtz, Bowles, Gase never really felt like true Jets…not sure if that’s a good thing or a bad thing…but it is what it is.

RIP coach. I will be 64 in a few months and am going into my 42nd years as a season ticket holder. Other than Weeb and the 68 Super Bowl team, coach Walton had the 2nd best Jets team, 1986. That team was 10-1, and then was utterly ravaged by injuries. They had a tremendous offense, a Bud Carson attacking defense, and would have easily made our 2nd Super Bowl, and set up a memorable clash with the Giants. Class all the way. Godspeed coach.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, section314 said:

RIP coach. I will be 64 in a few months and am going into my 42nd years as a season ticket holder. Other than Weeb and the 68 Super Bowl team, coach Walton had the 2nd best Jets team, 1986. That team was 10-1, and then was utterly ravaged by injuries. They had a tremendous offense, a Bud Carson attacking defense, and would have easily made our 2nd Super Bowl, and set up a memorable clash with the Giants. Class all the way. Godspeed coach.

I was 12 that year and Jets football had really become everything, so the run leading up to the collapse was crazy.  What I remember most was friggin Paul Maguire at NBC picking against the Jets week after week as they won 10 in a row and everybody getting on him each week as he kept picking against them and they kept winning.  Then the injuries and the bottom dropped out and that smug bastard was all demure, 'I told you they weren't good'.  He was the worst anti-Jets announcer then too.    Jets always seemed to get announcer crews that personally disliked them every week in the 80's.

• Sympathy 1

21 minutes ago, Origen said:

I was 12 that year and Jets football had really become everything, so the run leading up to the collapse was crazy.  What I remember most was friggin Paul Maguire at NBC picking against the Jets week after week as they won 10 in a row and everybody getting on him each week as he kept picking against them and they kept winning.  Then the injuries and the bottom dropped out and that smug bastard was all demure, 'I told you they weren't good'.  He was the worst anti-Jets announcer then too.    Jets always seemed to get announcer crews that personally disliked them every week in the 80's.

Never has there been a media person who hated the Jets more than Maguire.  But every week we had to see that POS on TV and endure his barbs.  I despised even just the sound of his voice. 

• Upvote 1