Jets Cut K Chris Naggar

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Douglas gets a clown nose and slightly over sized red shoes for the PK and TE situation alone.

This team had more holes than a wheel of swiss cheese. I now how impatient we all are but easy does it. Its not an overnigjht fix. Go gram a beer to drink down your fish dinner.  A strong one.  It will ease the pain.

• Sympathy 2

18 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

This team had more holes than a wheel of swiss cheese. I now how impatient we all are but easy does it. Its not an overnigjht fix. Go gram a beer to drink down your fish dinner.  A strong one.  It will ease the pain.

I do not expect everything to be solved in one year.  He has had two full years and has simply not paid attention to these positions.  Kicker has been an issue for a whole and we suffered last year. 

He proceeds to have cut both the incumbent and the the 2nd guy he brought in this camp.

I like Douglas, I'll heap praise on him for the things he has done right but I'm not going to ignore some other things.

When the Jets start losing games because of their kicker (like game one last year) a light bulb might go off.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Douglas gets a clown nose and slightly over sized red shoes for the PK and TE situation alone.

FFS.  Nearly every roster spot improved dramatically this offseason and you focus in on K and TE.  Can’t you be positive about anything of late?  

K will only be important when the team gets good.  For now the recycling door is something a third or so of the teams in the league deal with every year at the position.  Just breathe, it’s gonna be OK.  

TE will be addressed in next years draft.  Not EVERYTHING can get addressed in an offseason. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

Meanwhile Borregales goes 8-8 with 61 yarder in practice. He was there for the taking ….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wonder if the Bucs will try to keep him. They have to know he's not going to clear waivers if they try to sneak him onto the PS.

They might even look to trade him rather than lose him for nothing.

5 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

I wonder if the Bucs will try to keep him. They have to know he's not going to clear waivers if they try to sneak him onto the PS.

They might even look to trade him rather than lose him for nothing.

I was wondering the same thing. What are the chances the bucs hold on to 2 kickers? I would trade one of our surplus depth d lineman for him in a heartbeat, someone good isn’t making our roster regardless.

I can’t believe we missed on Blakenship and Borrealges in back to back years, both undrafted. For ****’s sake, Joe!

15 minutes ago, wediditjoe said:

I was wondering the same thing. What are the chances the bucs hold on to 2 kickers? I would trade one of our surplus depth d lineman for him in a heartbeat, someone good isn’t making our roster regardless.

I can’t believe we missed on Blakenship and Borrealges in back to back years, both undrafted. For ****’s sake, Joe!

Also a strong possibility that Borregales comes down with mysterious injury in a couple of weeks and ends up on IR.

If the Bucs do attempt to trade him, we should be all over it using a DL or WR as a trade chip.

12 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

FFS.  Nearly every roster spot improved dramatically this offseason and you focus in on K and TE.  Can’t you be positive about anything of late?  

K will only be important when the team gets good.  For now the recycling door is something a third or so of the teams in the league deal with every year at the position.  Just breathe, it’s gonna be OK.  

TE will be addressed in next years draft.  Not EVERYTHING can get addressed in an offseason. 

What the hell are you talking about?  You are becoming much like another forum I frequent the Edmonton oilers fan forum where EVERY move is great and the GM is to blame for nothing.

I flat out said I like Douglas, I said I like most of the moves he has made but anyone that thinks we have a good pk situation is 100% out to lunch.  We had a bad pk game when Douglas got here, we had a bad pk situation last year and we have it this year.

We went through like 4 kickers last year, we have already gone through two this year.

to this point Douglas has struck out totally for this position.

Kicker is the classic...oh no big deal only a kicker situation until it costs you games, then it all changes.

Do something good you get credit,

Do not do something good you are going to get criticized, as it should be.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

What the hell are you talking about?  You are becoming much like another forum I frequent the Edmonton oilers fan forum where EVERY move is great and the GM is to blame for nothing.

I flat out said I like Douglas, I said I like most of the moves he has made but anyone that thinks we have a good pk situation is 100% out to lunch.  We had a bad pk game when Douglas got here, we had a bad pk situation last year and we have it this year.

We went through like 4 kickers last year, we have already gone through two this year.

Kicker is the classic...oh no big deal only a kicker situation until it costs you games, then it all changes.

Fair enough.  If you know me at all you know I’m not eternal sunshine/cheerleader.  

I like you as a poster and thank you for clarifying your thoughts.  I just rarely see you give JD much credit (not that anyone is required to).  I’ll pay more attention. 

The main reason I’m overly sensitive to JD critiques is I’ve liked him from the start, and if he fails the Johnson’s will never be able to hire a better GM in all likelihood.  Regardless of what anyone says, Gase brought us Douglas, not the Johnson’s, which demonstrates a strangely adequate “big picture” ability for Gase.  Or perhaps it was a blind squirrel moment.  Either way I’m ride or die with JD because we need him to succeed.  

11 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

Why? He didn’t let Myers go after a Pro Bowl season, Mac did. Finding them is harder than keeping them. Mac screwed this up.

Mac always bought low on kickers and had a new one every single year, and all of them were still substantially better than anyone Douglas has brought in since.

Mac may have been laughably awful at everything else he has ever done, but Douglas is infinitely worse at evaluating kickers, and that's really not debatable.  Multiple other teams have managed to address this position during his time here, so the opportunity has been there.

I'll still gladly take the guy who can gladly evaluate everything but kickers over the one who can evaluate nothing but kickers.  It's probably just time for him to recognize his own weaknesses and look to find someone else either already on his staff, or to be added, that are more qualified to oversee this area than he is, because they really can't do much worse.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Yep. When we luck into a decent K again, I don't want to find out we put the game into the hands of some castoff/choke artist because we wanted to spend $1MM instead of a $4MM/yr extension so we could have a couple extra bucks to sign 1-2 upgraded backups, who'll typically make next to no contribution before getting let go after the season (if they make it that far). 

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Bocajetfan said:

Could be wrong but aren’t there still roster limits even for preseason games. Might have wanted too see more linemen. Ammendola gets his shot this week.

He kicked the EP that went through the tops of the goal posits and then the KO which sailed out of the EZ on a fly.  Has huge leg, now we’ll need to see accuracy.  I think they were pretty equal as far as camp result but Ammendolas leg is the difference

1 hour ago, JetsFanatic said:

Why? He didn’t let Myers go after a Pro Bowl season, Mac did. Finding them is harder than keeping them. Mac screwed this up.

Then Macc signed a kicker who quit during JDs first camp.

Last season Ficken won the job and was pretty good until he pulled a muscle and we went to a replacement who if I remember also was injured.  
Kind of tough to blame the GM

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Yep. When we luck into a decent K again, I don't want to find out we put the game into the hands of some castoff/choke artist because we wanted to spend $1MM instead of a $4MM/yr extension so we could have a couple extra bucks to sign 1-2 upgraded backups, who'll typically make next to no contribution before getting let go after the season (if they make it that far). 

We’re at least a year away from being “good again” so it’s silly to worry this much about K until we need to.

It certainly shows JD is doing well if the biggest issue right now per JN is at K.

I think we tend to underestimate just how many teams have K issues in a given year, too.  I’ll look at that later and provide some data as I think it’s very relevant.

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

He kicked the EP that went through the tops of the goal posits and then the KO which sailed out of the EZ on a fly.  Has huge leg, now we’ll need to see accuracy.  I think they were pretty equal as far as camp result but Ammendolas leg is the difference

The difficulty with evaluating young kickers, imo, is that you cannot simulate late game pressure in practice or preseason.  Ammendola may have an NFL leg, but until he (or any other unproven young kicker) is put into a game on the line pressure situation, I don't think anyone knows how he will handle it. 

He may have the leg, but does he have the head.

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

We’re at least a year away from being “good again” so it’s silly to worry this much about K until we need to.

It certainly shows JD is doing well if the biggest issue right now per JN is at K.

I think we tend to underestimate just how many teams have K issues in a given year, too.  I’ll look at that later and provide some data as I think it’s very relevant.

Last season the Jets had Ficken come in 20th in FG % and 42nd in XP %, while Castillo came in 42nd and 39th respectively.

In 2019, Ficken came in 34th and 37th for those numbers, and the immortal Vedvik obviously dead last in each, thanks to his unmatched 0% rate in both.

I mean, we're literally talking about 7 out of 8 numbers that saw other teams with multiple kickers outperform the Jets' bums.

It's quite simply one thing JD completely sucks ass at.  It doesn't take away from any success he (hopefully) has in other areas, but he's on pace to still be really awful at this one particular area for the 3rd year in a row, considering there's already been 2 failures tossed aside so far.  That doesn't change anything else, and is far from this team's biggest problem, but there's no need to throw on blinders to fit an agenda either.

• Upvote 1