Jets Cut K Chris Naggar

26 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

Last season the Jets had Ficken come in 20th in FG % and 42nd in XP %, while Castillo came in 42nd and 39th respectively.

In 2019, Ficken came in 34th and 37th for those numbers, and the immortal Vedvik obviously dead last in each, thanks to his unmatched 0% rate in both.

I mean, we're literally talking about 7 out of 8 numbers that saw other teams with multiple kickers outperform the Jets' bums.

It's quite simply one thing JD completely sucks ass at.  It doesn't take away from any success he (hopefully) has in other areas, but he's on pace to still be really awful at this one particular area for the 3rd year in a row, considering there's already been 2 failures tossed aside so far.  That doesn't change anything else, and is far from this team's biggest problem, but there's no need to throw on blinders to fit an agenda either.

No blinders needed; he clearly sucks at finding Kickers so far.  The good news is it barely matters until we get good.  That was my larger point.

1 hour ago, Lith said:

The difficulty with evaluating young kickers, imo, is that you cannot simulate late game pressure in practice or preseason.  Ammendola may have an NFL leg, but until he (or any other unproven young kicker) is put into a game on the line pressure situation, I don't think anyone knows how he will handle it. 

He may have the leg, but does he have the head.

I totally agree.  Theyre too many of them who we hear great things about before we bring them in and in what theyre doing in camp only to choke in games.  

Im hoping we get lucky with this one he has a huge leg, is young, would be perfect.  But we shall see starting Saturday night

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

We’re at least a year away from being “good again” so it’s silly to worry this much about K until we need to.

It certainly shows JD is doing well if the biggest issue right now per JN is at K.

I think we tend to underestimate just how many teams have K issues in a given year, too.  I’ll look at that later and provide some data as I think it’s very relevant.

Meh, even the best kickers are so cheap, relative to their potential impact, that you get one when you can, or keep one when you have one. Especially since so many get better with age/experience (opposite of a young RB) as they learn to deal with different conditions. With a young kicker, you won't know how good/bad they are - particularly in more difficult or pressure situations - until at leasto one season's gone by. Plenty of crappy kickers I'm sure looked really good in practice or rookie camp, or even had a decent one-year showing before regressing to below the mean. 

Next, the "biggest issue right now" is hardly at K. It's just an easy position to isolate and identify because a team only carries one of them. 

Beyond that...

Take it easy; you're acting like an orthodox follower of Douglasism, whereby potentially non-worshipful comments are akin to blasphemy and must each be called out by true believers whenever they're seen.

FFS I wasn't talking about some Douglas error in the post you quoted, nor even the current Jets team. Even my first line highlights that it was a critique of times in the past when GMs myopically looked to save a couple bucks by letting go of a proven, reliable kicker (only to then carry the cap savings over to the following season, or use it on someone sucky or of insignificance).

So even when I'm clearly referring to pre-Douglas criticism, you're still pouncing on me in defense of Douglas, as some type of prophylactic just in case he does this in the future. You're one of my true favorites here -- get some help, buddy lol.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Meh, even the best kickers are so cheap, relative to their potential impact, that you get one when you can, or keep one when you have one. Especially since so many get better with age/experience (opposite of a young RB) as they learn to deal with different conditions. With a young kicker, you won't know how good/bad they are - particularly in more difficult or pressure situations - until at leasto one season's gone by. Plenty of crappy kickers I'm sure looked really good in practice or rookie camp, or even had a decent one-year showing before regressing to below the mean. 

Next, the "biggest issue right now" is hardly at K. It's just an easy position to isolate and identify because a team only carries one of them. 

Beyond that...

Take it easy; you're acting like an orthodox follower of Douglasism, whereby potentially non-worshipful comments are akin to blasphemy and must each be called out by true believers whenever they're seen.

FFS I wasn't talking about some Douglas error in the post you quoted, nor even the current Jets team. Even my first line highlights that it was a critique of times in the past when GMs myopically looked to save a couple bucks by letting go of a proven, reliable kicker (only to then carry the cap savings over to the following season, or use it on someone sucky or of insignificance).

So even when I'm clearly referring to pre-Douglas criticism, you're still pouncing on me in defense of Douglas, as some type of prophylactic just in case he does this in the future. You're one of my true favorites here -- get some help, buddy lol.

Already working on getting the help my friend, lol.  

And I explained my defense of JD in another thread:  Long story short, if he sucks we’ll suck until the Johnsons die or sell the team (because they are incapable of hiring a good GM; Gase hired JD regardless of arguments to the contrary), which is why I am “all in” and sensitive to criticism on his behalf.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

And I explained my defense of JD in another thread:  Long story short, if he sucks we’ll suck until the Johnsons die or sell the team (because they are incapable of hiring a good GM; Gase hired JD regardless of arguments to the contrary), which is why I am “all in” and sensitive to criticism on his behalf.  

Still hoping/waiting for the Blind Squirrel Theorem to shine the occasional positive light our way when GM/HC hiring. Eventually it'll happen, but would be nice if this was the time it did. Of course that means sell the stock right after we win because it'll be another 50 years before the next one. Like a Jets version of Halley's Comet. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Oh, shut up already.

The constant insistence by some around here that everyone ever employed by the Jets is really doing secret undercover work of a completely different job with the team, despite simultaneously showing to be immeasurably incompetent at their actual job, is the most mind-numblingly stupid drivel, even by some of JN's low standards of comparison.

It's not any sort of "defense" when it's just a restatement of how completely off the deep end your JD cultist following has become.

• Thumb Down 1

On 8/17/2021 at 3:26 PM, Nixhead said:

WAIT! Tim Tebow has decided to change his position again after being released by the Jags. He is now training to be a kicker! Make the call Big Joe!

DM Woody on Twitter 

tebow will be our next K if you do that.  Not even exaggerating 

16 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

Oh, shut up already.

The constant insistence by some around here that everyone ever employed by the Jets is really doing secret undercover work of a completely different job with the team, despite simultaneously showing to be immeasurably incompetent at their actual job, is the most mind-numblingly stupid drivel, even by some of JN's low standards of comparison.

It's not any sort of "defense" when it's just a restatement of how completely off the deep end your JD cultist following has become.

So you didn’t want an explanation just for me to get help and go away.  Aight.

24 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

So you didn’t want an explanation just for me to get help and go away.  Aight.

Your "explanation" was entirely self-dependent on its very own work of complete fiction.

Jetsfan80 on Joe Douglas:

I'm not a mindless follower of JD or anything, I'm just saying everything he ever does must be considered 100% absolutely right as he is the true chosen one and all non-believers will burn in eternal damnation!

• Haha 1